How to have NAV without the Morse code

Stanley777

The Military uses the overhead recovery for a number of reasons.

It lets the pilots get a look at the runway over-all, and specifically the landing point to make sure all is clear for landing (whatever the ATC may say). Normally, the approach is made offset to the side of the runway slightly. Gives a good view of the runway. If things aren't right, they can extend the upwind to a holding pattern and report the problems to the ground, to hopefully get things cleared up, or go to another airport, if necessary. Normally, they should enter the break at 800' AGL, 350 KIAS.

If they approach the airport in formation, even just 2 of them, it's a good way to gain separation for landing. First plane breaks about the departure end of the runway, then dash-2 breaks 18 seconds later (Navy SOP, anyway). That way, when they are on downwind, they are separated, and lead can clear the runway, or close to, before dash-2 lands.

Also, it's a great way to bleed airspeed quickly and easily, to allow configuration for landing. Go from about 350 KIAS to 140 KIAS (depending on the plane, and it's gross weight, of course) in just a few seconds, and get the gear and flaps properly configured for landing. If something goes wrong, no down-and-locked on a gear, flaps unmatched, whatever, they can then extend on the downwind, without descending, to the Delta pattern for troubleshooting, meet the tanker for a quick drink, whatever needs to be done, without clogging up the airport's (or ship's) main pattern.

Finally, and most important, it LOOKS sharp as heck from the ground, or ship's deck. Critically important :D Main reason, if you ask the pilots (which I have several times).

I like the overhead for those reasons. It looks sharp, and it's a great way to set the plane up for landing quickly.

Hope that answers your questions :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I like the overhead for those reasons. It looks sharp, and it's a great way to set the plane up for landing quickly.

It's also a nice challenge as an additional way to make an approach, and it's fun. Note that the timing varies among groups and depending on the situation (I think the T-Birds do three seconds apart), and I've often seen the break much closer than 18 seconds apart with others. Of course ensuring the chance to clear the deck on a ship is a factor that AF folks don't have to worry so much about.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It's also a nice challenge as an additional way to make an approach, and it's fun. Note that the timing varies among groups and depending on the situation (I think the T-Birds do three seconds apart), and I've often seen the break much closer than 18 seconds apart with others. Of course ensuring the chance to clear the deck on a ship is a factor that AF folks don't have to worry so much about.

Hi Larry,

We also did that when flying formation with choppers, especially to get good separation to land on a LPH. There's a term for it "Boom The Tower." If the flight leader chose that formation to prepare for landing he'd call on the radio "Permission to Boom the Tower?"

Of course the only way we in choppers could actually make a boom sound was for one from each plane to key the mike as you pass Pri-fly and say "Boom" or "Boom Boom." Which we were known to do from time to time.:rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi everyone,

I would like to make sure of this when using the NAV. Here is my question, or actually series of questions all related to the same topic:

To lock into an ILS system, all you need to do is enter the correct frequency, right? If you want to hear the Morse code, turn the light on, and if you don't want to hear the Morse code, turn the light off, correct?

So you don't have to throw a switch somewhere to activate the system, do you? As long as you have the correct frequency, the aircraft will lock into the ILS once the aircraft is in range. Is all of this correct?

Frankly, wouldn't it be useful to have a switch so that you could activate the NAV if you want it, and deactivate it if you don't want it? On the other hand -- I guess that I am thinking out loud -- the aircraft will not lock onto the ILS unless you turn on the approach button on the autopilot.

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You do need to be on the proper frequency with the NAV radio. Most aircraft also have a NAV/GPS switch that must be set to NAV. I'm not sure what "light" you're talking about, but if you want to hear the code identifier(s) you much have the switch on the audio panel depressed, that is, audio on, for that specific NAV radio. There also is, on most radios, an ID button on the radio itself which must also be activated in order to hear the code.

If the light you mentioned is one of the three blue/yellow/white marker beacons, those are independent of the ILS -- they are fan markers and will sound off if the marker button on the audio panel is depressed and you are over them. If the light is on the audio panel button, that is aircraft dependent whether it is ever lit up.

Of course it's only when the autopilot is on and the proper modes are selected that the aircraft can respond to the ILS signals without pilot input.

Frankly, wouldn't it be useful to have a switch so that you could activate the NAV if you want it, and deactivate it if you don't want it?

Yup. That's the autopilot on or off.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hi everyone,

I would like to make sure of this when using the NAV. Here is my question, or actually series of questions all related to the same topic:

To lock into an ILS system, all you need to do is enter the correct frequency, right? If you want to hear the Morse code, turn the light on, and if you don't want to hear the Morse code, turn the light off, correct?

Yes the sound is not needed.

Set the frequency to active, using the button between 'active' and 'standby'.

So you don't have to throw a switch somewhere to activate the system, do you? As long as you have the correct frequency, the aircraft will lock into the ILS once the aircraft is in range. Is all of this correct?

Frankly, wouldn't it be useful to have a switch so that you could activate the NAV if you want it, and deactivate it if you don't want it? On the other hand -- I guess that I am thinking out loud -- the aircraft will not lock onto the ILS unless you turn on the approach button on the autopilot.

There is the NAV/GPS switch.

For ILS it must be set to NAV

To have the autopilot follow the GSP plan it needs to be set to GPS.

Also, take a look in the learning center in fsx, and read the sections about radio.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes the sound is not needed.

Set the frequency to active, using the button between 'active' and 'standby'.

There is the NAV/GPS switch.

For ILS it must be set to NAV

To have the autopilot follow the GSP plan it needs to be set to GPS.

Also, take a look in the learning center in fsx, and read the sections about radio.

I agree with il88pp. However there is another issue I will point out.

If you are actually trying to do a correct "sim" of an IFR approach, especially if you're using ILS. You should listen to the code and compare it to the code mentioned in your charts or maps for that specific ILS approach.

As Larry noted, there are many different ILS approaches assigned on the same frequency. And often at least two approaches are close enough to possibly cause you to make an approach to the wrong airport if you don't verify the code. So now, RW we're talking a possible loss of many lives! Also loss of license, huge cost, and other bad things happen to those who fly IFR into the wrong airport. :eek::eek: If you're going to the trouble to sim an IFR approach. Why not do it correctly? ;)

I suggest you pre-plan your approach and note the indicated signal you need to listen for when you set your Nav radio frequency. You don't even need to know code. The code is shown as . or _ the dot indicates a short tone the dash is a long tone. When your needle swings towards a signal, turn the code on & verify it is the one needed for your planned and authorized approach. Then you can turn the code sound back off and concentrate on landing where you intended to land.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi everyone,

So how about this when flying via ILS:

Let's say that you have entered a particular frequency into NAV 1, and another frequency into NAV 2. Let's also say that the two different navaids pick up a signals -- one navaid picks up the signal from NAV 1 and the other navaid picks up the signal from NAV 2. And now you activate the approach switch. Towards which navaid will the aircraft fly?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

you tune a vor on nav2

you then see where the vor is on the hsi, arrow points to it.

if not in range, arrow aligns to 360/180

you tune a ils freq on nav1

apr-mode makes plane fly to runway in straight line

then when reaches glideslope starts the descent automatically.

if you tune vor on nav1

appr mode flys to vor

but a vor beacon has no glideslope, so plane does not descend.

You use HEADING mode to navigate to the vor yourself.

navaids are beacons. they are located on the ground. not in the plane.

Examples are Vor's, Ils localisers and glideslope beacons (are separate things). Etc.

outer marker beacons, dme's, etc also.

Btw, a vor is separate beacon from a dme. often placed in same location. In that case they are at the same frequency and the dme is then there so you can see the distance to the vor as well as where it is.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_landing_system

The autopilot follows Nav1 or GPS. not nav2.

(I did recently create a gauge that can make the autopilot follow nav2.

Without that gauge, default plane, it can't do that.

I suggest you start by understanding he default methods first.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NAV1 feeds the autopilot .

For ILS :

1. NAV/GPS mode set to NAV

and

2. Approach Hold (ILS) selected on .

basically your LOC (locator) is a VOR with only one radial ,

that radial is a TO radial it's value is the actual runway heading .

For VOR :

1. NAV/GPS mode set to NAV

and

2. NAV Hold selected on .

3. In the Nav window set desired radial value , or set Bug on the HSI to desired radial .

NOTE HSI deviation bar centers twice within 360 degrees this is the TO or FROM for

the radial that your aircraft is currently on .

TO will take aircraft to VOR antenna , and FROM will take aircraft away from VOR antenna .

* in both above cases the frequency is set in NAV1 and that drives the autopilot to

fly either ILS or VOR .

ie; only NAV1 feeds or drives the autopilot .

In the previous example by Stanley ,

NAV1 will fly the ILS approach ,

and

NAV2 would be used with a radial set to provide a Position Line for navigation purposes.

Cheers

Karol

Hi everyone,

So how about this when flying via ILS:

Let's say that you have entered a particular frequency into NAV 1, and another frequency into NAV 2. Let's also say that the two different navaids pick up a signals -- one navaid picks up the signal from NAV 1 and the other navaid picks up the signal from NAV 2. And now you activate the approach switch. Towards which navaid will the aircraft fly?

Thank you.

Stanley

Go to the cockpit of your favorite aircraft and try it -- NAV 1 is normally the one tied to the autopilot, unless there is a specific switch to control which one(rare).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hi everyone (and this time, in particular, to il88pp, COBS, and Inuss),

Thank you for your answers regarding ILS. Your responses clarified a lot.

Stanley

• 10 months later...
Hi everyone,

I am trying to learn how to use ILS. However, I find the constant Morse code signal distracting. Right now, I am mainly flying the FSX:SE Learjet, although I think that my question would pertain to any aircraft.

Here is my question. How can I change the setting in the airplane.cfg file to have all the navigational equipment work normally, but mute the sound?

Thank you.

Stanley

Quebecfan

Make sure that in the aircraft.cfg file

the radio section has and item call audio.1 that look like

this

[RADIOS]

Audio.1=1

if you do not have the Audio.1 item

or if you have Audio.1=0 you can not

control the NAV Sound

Archived