P3D not for the general public?

mav316

Flight School is a closed system and, as such, no FSX addons can be used. In fact, at this point I think it's fairly safe top say that none of the existing FSX addons will work with the full sim to be released by DTG later in the year. Unfortunately, 32-bit addons don't play well with a 64-bit simulator platform - not a welcome scenario, just the price of "progress". I'm way too old to even think about repurchasing 64-bit addons. FSX/P3D are working fine for me and, for economic reasons alone, that's where I'm staying.

Doug

I am definitely feeling you on that W2DR! Since it is not going to allow FSX addons in it, It would be a waste of money to switch and not be able to use any FSX addons with it. So again my thought is switching back to P3D because you can atleast use FSX aircrafts and sceneries with that!

AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0ghz, 1 GB nvidia geForce GT430, 16mb DDR3 memory, 1 TB hard drive, 3 TB slave drive, and 32" Flat Panel running on a Window 7-64bit OS

After P3D, going back to FSX is like returning to Windows 95 in my opinion.

Elaborate on this response! I want to know the benefits of P3D!

AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0ghz, 1 GB nvidia geForce GT430, 16mb DDR3 memory, 1 TB hard drive, 3 TB slave drive, and 32" Flat Panel running on a Window 7-64bit OS

Really? You can't discuss if you're legally able to use purchased software?

Yes. There is NO ONE n these forums qualified to make that decision, therefore the discussion is irrelevant. The decision as to whether YOU qualify is between YOU and LM. And if you ask at LM, they will tell you to read their requirements and make your decision. They and we, will not entertain discussions as to what constitutes individual requirements.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Really. The much improved clouds, shadows and water, along with considerably better performance, to name some things that make it MUCH better, in my experience. Even when frame rates are low, it displays less jerkily than FSX or previous versions of FS.

Larry, I have a question.

You've repeatedly stated how much better you believe P3D looks with the improved clouds, water, & shadows. IMHO that isn't the case at all. However it isn't just an issue of your and my opinion, but also the opinion of many others.

As I'm sure you're aware there is a whole cadre of people who love screenshots. They often really don't care a whole lot about how well a plane flies or if that plane's sim is realistic. However they'd trade everything they own, other than their grandchildren of course, for that perfect screenshot.

I just went on the FSX screenshot forum and found the last original posting there was this morning at 12:55. And the last posting response was at 8:06 PM or about a hour ago.

I also went to the P3D screenshot forum and the last original posting was on 9 April. And the last response to a screenshot posting was on 30 March.

My question is, IF P3D HAS SUCH WONDERFUL CLOUDS, SHADOWS, & WATER WHY DON'T THOSE WHO LOVE SCREENSHOTS LOAD THE P3D SCREENSHOT FORUM UP WITH TONS OF SHOTS? And no, it isn't people aren't willing to pay for P3D. Many FSX screenshot posters have multiple hundreds of dollars invested in their pay-ware scenery. IMHO it is because P3D doesn't look nearly as good with any given FSX/P3D scenery.

As to the OOM issue which I've heard discussed, Vic has recently said that's a function of what add-ons you add to the program and how far to the right you keep your sliders, not a function of the program itself. He didn't say so but that is exactly the same with FSX as with P3D.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

IF P3D HAS SUCH WONDERFUL CLOUDS, SHADOWS, & WATER WHY DON'T THOSE WHO LOVE SCREENSHOTS LOAD THE P3D SCREENSHOT FORUM UP WITH TONS OF SHOTS?

Rupert -- Not being a screenshot type myself, I have no idea what the answer is to your question. You're welcome to your opinion about how the sims look and perform -- I've stated my views, and apparently other folks agree with me, just as there are other folks who agree with you. I don't know why you and the others don't see the improvements that many of us see, but they're real. I've never run into (or even mentioned) OOM in either sim.

Sorry I can't provide your answer.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

So, FSX - 10 years old, development looong closed!

FSX:SE - Same as FSX, but optimized for newer PC's. Development by Dovetail frozen

Dovetail's Flight School - To be released next month (Maybe) - closed sim, no addons allowed

Dovetails New Sim - To be released whenever - 64bit, not backward compatible with existing add-ons (so they say)

P3D- Ongpoing development, about 10-12 versions released since Lockheed Martin got the ESP (Microsoft's commercial version of FSX)

For the changes of P3D as compared to FSX - have a look at http://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/ for the changes!!

Academically speaking, the way to go!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

The latest version of P3d has been flawless on my computer, stutter free, no problem with frame rates, all my add-ons work, no tweaking required to the cfg file. Graphics, and immersion, spot on.

And development continues...

FSX...dead in the water.

Larry, I have a question.

My question is, IF P3D HAS SUCH WONDERFUL CLOUDS, SHADOWS, & WATER WHY DON'T THOSE WHO LOVE SCREENSHOTS LOAD THE P3D SCREENSHOT FORUM UP WITH TONS OF SHOTS?

Simple, we aren't bothered about sharing images. We'd rather get on with flying in our realistic simulation. And if you are basing your opinions on this forum, should you not cast a wider net. This forum has a limited user base for the P3D product, precisely becasue it's a fan site. And P3D is a professional product. If you go to the ORBX screenshot forum, the majority are from P3D.

And they exceed the capabilities of ANYTHING that can be achieved with FSX.

The latest version of P3d has been flawless on my computer, stutter free, no problem with frame rates, all my add-ons work, no tweaking required to the cfg file. Graphics, and immersion, spot on.

FSX...dead in the water.

ALL the problems I have dealt with in P3D3 have been caused NOT by the sim, but by the user, his hardware and/or software. Or a combination of all three. It's flawless, stutter free and no fps issues on my rig also.

I would like to clarify something.

Even the most basic version of P3D (Academic) is being used for FAA certified training.

The more advanced versions of P3D are tailored for Defense Contractors/Mission Systems development and the most important features are transparent to commercial users.

So, if you want to buy the professional version, its perfectly fine.....but unless you are wanting to test your latest threat detect system or autonomous unmanned air vehicle behavoir......stick to Academic.

Consider the availability of P3D Academic a "gift" to humanity, as Lockheed makes pay out of private licenses for MAJOR defense programs and does not need us at all to survive (they merely use us for product feedback.....and get us to pay for it too) ;-)

Consider the availability of P3D Academic a "gift" to humanity, as Lockheed makes pay out of private licenses for MAJOR defense programs and does not need us at all to survive (they merely use us for product feedback.....and get us to pay for it too) ;-)

A gift? Dream on. Who pays for those defense programs? American taxpayers, that's who. And you don't have to pay for gifts in order to receive them.

I think the thread's spin factor just made a great leap ... for P3D users. :p

SPIN CONTROL: definition - the activity of trying to control the way something ... is described to the public in order to influence what people think about it.

Attention! All those in this Forum not qualified to use P3D, and are using it purely for entertainment, please uninstall it immediately! You have been warned...

This is not very funny. I suggest you take a look at the P3D Academic EULA, especially 1., 11. and 14.13.

This is not very funny. I suggest you take a look at the P3D Academic EULA, especially 1., 11. and 14.13.

Interesting reading! Now all of you Academic Students out there raise your hands.;):rolleyes:

Think I'll stick with FSX.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It is amazing how people can take a simple question and degenerate it in to what this thread has become. Everyone likes 1 sim over another. Hell, there are people who still use fs9 like me along side FSX and P3D. Just answer the OP's question and move on. Quit turning it in to a pissing contest.

FSX...dead in the water.

That's good! I can also say that is true with FSX. The only issues with either program I've ever had were self induced.

"FSX...dead in the water." In your dreams. Look how many people use and comment on FSX compared to P3D. I talking today, not last year, nor last week, today.

IMHO P3D isn't a bad product, it just is a mutant copy of a better product. And yes I do have both.

It is amazing how people can take a simple question and degenerate it in to what this thread has become. Everyone likes 1 sim over another. Hell, there are people who still use fs9 like me along side FSX and P3D. Just answer the OP's question and move on. Quit turning it in to a pissing contest.

Pissing contest? Maybe. Have you read an article on The P3D forum. I honestly haven't spent a lot of time poring over the agreement of P3D, but apparently this poster has.

" Below you'll find sections of the Prepar3D® EULA and some more information from the FAQ file on their site. How you interrupt the information and decide which license is best for you is entirely between you and Lockheed Martin. We encourage you to read about all the license information choices before making your choice of the agreement that best suits you.

Here are a few quotes from the EULA .....

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PLEASE DISCONTINUE USAGE. IF YOU DO AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOURSELF AND/OR THE ENTITY YOU REPRESENT YOU MAY CONTINUE USAGE.

1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a fully paid-up, nontransferable, nonsublicensable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this EULA to use the Software, but only on no more than one computer at any one time, only by no more than one user at any one time, and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

Please read the full End User License Agreement (EULA) here.

Who can use Prepar3D®? - From the Prepar3D web site FAQ"

Prepar3D is offered for professionals, students and developers:

• Professionals – This license is intended for professional skills training. This group could include private pilots, commercial flight schools, military personnel, civil organizations such as firefighters/emergency response or students pursuing a technical degree or an advanced degree such as a masters or PhD.

• Students – An academic license at a reduced price is available for educational purposes at the undergraduate college level and below (students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree). This is an extension of our philanthropic support for STEM education to engage the next generation of technologists and engineers.

• Developers – For the individuals or companies who are interested in developing aircraft models, scenery, terrains and weather effects for Prepar3D, we offer a Prepar3D developer license.

Please be aware that the three license types have different end-user license agreements (EULAs) and usage restrictions. For more details, please review the "License Comparison page".

Can Prepar3D be used for entertainment?

No, Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. The EULAs explain that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

Last edited by danl; 12-26-2012 at 06:40 AM."

Since I'm disabled and unable to fly Real World, I can only can only "fly" for personal/consumer entertainment. This makes me happy that P3d is an inferior personal/consumer entertainment product. Since I'm only a personal/consumer entertainment person I can't use it. Since the product is so poor, I won't miss it!;)

Is there a FS Recorder for P3D that will show the approach and final of a PMDG aircraft like the 777 etc with the flaps, speedbrakes and reversers in action...cuz the regular instant replay does not....I would buy that product if it is available..thanks al v

To answer the OP, yes, it is available to the General Public. Even better, they gave us a cheap on price version purely for what I call 'entertainment purposes' knowing full well the majority of users will never use it to learn to fly otherwise it would've only come with the pro edition.

Pretty easy to read between LM's spacious lines.

Of course if you already own FSX, just use that. Same thing...

Ok - I don't see anything new here and, as stated, EULA discussions are not allowed and we seem headed there - so this one is shut down.

Some interesting points, both real and imaginary were made though.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived