New guy from ca -

parkerproducts

Hey everyone new guy here , not a real pilot not have I ever flown . I do like playing the aim but haven't had a comp in a while so I started building one . Unfortunately not until next week will I have newer ram and a graphic card . So here's the current set up

650w power supply .

Amd 4core process

Asus board

Can't remember which one

But I'm going to get detailed info

My question is , is 16gb ram capable enough (crucial)

And anyone have any experience or input on the evga 750 ti ftw is it good enough to get desert graphics ? I'm currently running no card and 2 sticks of 4 gb ram and the graphics suck and really glitchy . Sorry for such a long post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

As you have not stated which Operating system (OS) and sim you are intending to use I will only give some general advice.

WRT the 16gb of RAM - that's more than enough. It is worth noting that, for a 32-bit applications (like FS2004, FSX, FSX-SE for example) they can only use a maximum of 4gb of ram even is the OS is a 64-bit version. I do not have P3d but I believe the early versions are 32-bit but that an optional update is available for later versions to run in 64-bit which can make use of more ram.

Having 16gb will allow the OS to run essential background tasks without interfering with the running sim.

Also worth noting is that the edition of your OS will also determine how much ram can be accessed. For example Win 7 and 8 Home edition can only 'access' a max of 16gb - anything over this cannot be accessed by the OS and any installed apps, so going above this is just a waste of money.

WRT the 750 - it should provide good stable graphics.

WRT Power supply - While it should be adequate in the short term, you may want to look at upgrading to a higher rate PSU- Note that the specs for the 750 card requires a minimum of 300 watts. You also have to factor in the power requirements of the MB, CPU, cooling fans, drives RAM etc.

Regards

Brian

What flight sim do you like playing? Some need more computer horsepower than others.

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

As you have not stated which Operating system (OS) and sim you are intending to use I will only give some general advice.

WRT the 16gb of RAM - that's more than enough. It is worth noting that, for a 32-bit applications (like FS2004, FSX, FSX-SE for example) they can only use a maximum of 4gb of ram even is the OS is a 64-bit version. I do not have P3d but I believe the early versions are 32-bit but that an optional update is available for later versions to run in 64-bit which can make use of more ram.

Having 16gb will allow the OS to run essential background tasks without interfering with the running sim.

Also worth noting is that the edition of your OS will also determine how much ram can be accessed. For example Win 7 and 8 Home edition can only 'access' a max of 16gb - anything over this cannot be accessed by the OS and any installed apps, so going above this is just a waste of money.

WRT the 750 - it should provide good stable graphics.

WRT Power supply - While it should be adequate in the short term, you may want to look at upgrading to a higher rate PSU- Note that the specs for the 750 card requires a minimum of 300 watts. You also have to factor in the power requirements of the MB, CPU, cooling fans, drives RAM etc.

Sorry fur they misunderstanding. Os is Windows 10 home , the sim is fsx steam edition . I'm running a 19" monitor if that makes a difference . I'm still a little under my budget so was thinking of getting this fan as well

Deepcool Captain 360 Water-cooled CPU Heatsink Fan Cooled Liquid-cooled Mute https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S54KT6S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wojYwb0JSGBRR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S54KT6S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wojYwb0JSGBRR

I do not have P3d but I believe the early versions are 32-bit but that an optional update is available for later versions to run in 64-bit which can make use of more ram.

P3D is still 32-bit.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If you get win10, make sure you get win10 home 64bit, and not win10 home 32 bit.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/whats-the-maximum-ram-support-for-windows-10-home/b1078908-1932-4c12-b5fd-bdcd58984333?auth=1

Btw, for fsx you don't need that much ram, 8gb should be plenty.

more may be useful for other progs, like video-editing. But not for fsx.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I decided to do some updating .

Amd 8 core processor

Msi 970 ddr3 motherboard

Gigabyte Gtx 750 ti wind force 4gb graphic card

Hyper cooler water cooler fan

And 16 gm ram . Kingston

Turns out my old mother board was ddr1 n I only had 4 gb ram graphics card was a cheaper one . Hoping these new updated items will make fsx a lit more alive n the pc work a little smoother

As always open to everyone's opinions positive or negative

Always better to upgrade the processor than anything. And, so you know, MSFS's work better on Intel processors than AMD. Greatly better.

The GFX card is perfectly fine and adequate.

The RAM is excessive for your needs, as pointed out by il88p, but doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.

The cooling looks OK, but be careful of overclocking. You can stay within the CPU's capabilities, and yet exceed the cooling system's, so be careful.

AND a good Power Supply. I recommend no less than 700W, although I personally prefer 900W system. PLENTY of power.

military-humor-funny-joke-air-force-aircraft-engine-power.jpg

Also, the size of the HD is important. The bigger the better. As well, the faster the better, especially for the OS's HD. The size, as long as it's big enough for the OS and the Page file, isn't critical. Thus, an SSD for the OS and a normal HD for the Sim is a good working combination.

But for the Sim, the bigger the better, because we tend to get more and more add-ons. Scenery, planes, whatever. The Sim grows the longer you have it, trust me. It's amazing sometimes. Fortunately, at least Scenery can be placed anywhere, as long as the Sim can find it. You tell it where to with the Scenery Library when you add a scenery, so you can place it on ANY HD you want. Even add another HD to your system, and put all the new add-on scenery there, to save room on the Sim's HD. Now if they had only done that for planes...

I hope some of that helps you out a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Always better to upgrade the processor than anything. And, so you know, MSFS's work better on Intel processors than AMD. Greatly better.

The GFX card is perfectly fine and adequate.

The RAM is excessive for your needs, as pointed out by il88p, but doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.

The cooling looks OK, but be careful of overclocking. You can stay within the CPU's capabilities, and yet exceed the cooling system's, so be careful.

AND a good Power Supply. I recommend no less than 700W, although I personally prefer 900W system. PLENTY of power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187420[/ATTACH]

Also, the size of the HD is important. The bigger the better. As well, the faster the better, especially for the OS's HD. The size, as long as it's big enough for the OS and the Page file, isn't critical. Thus, an SSD for the OS and a normal HD for the Sim is a good working combination.

But for the Sim, the bigger the better, because we tend to get more and more add-ons. Scenery, planes, whatever. The Sim grows the longer you have it, trust me. It's amazing sometimes. Fortunately, at least Scenery can be placed anywhere, as long as the Sim can find it. You tell it where to with the Scenery Library when you add a scenery, so you can place it on ANY HD you want. Even add another HD to your system, and put all the new add-on scenery there, to save room on the Sim's HD. Now if they had only done that for planes...

I hope some of that helps you out a little bit...

Pat[emoji5]

Thanks for your reply , what you have explained makes a lot of sense I appreciate it . I chose 16 gb of ram more for my go pro videos . That's also why I chose and as a processor I'm trying to get a even playing field with my gaming and editing . (On a budget )

700W is plenty for most people. Unless you are getting into serious overclocking with multiple video cards in SLI/Crossfire and several 10,000 hard drives (or something similar), most PCs won't use much more than 500-600W, if that.

For example: http://outervision.com/b/n3dDZS vs. http://outervision.com/b/dexS25

The real concern with PSUs is quality. I would easily take a good quality 600W PSU over a cheap 900W model any day. Part of that quality is a solid and stable amperage supply. People often get too focused on the watts and don't look at the amps. One good source for PSU reviews is JonnyGuru.

People often get too focused on the watts and don't look at the amps.

Umm...Watts and Amps are inter-related. Watts are Volts times Amps. Amps, therefore, are Watts divided by volts. The equation is very easy to remember, presuming you like P=IE :D

All part and parcel of Ohms Laws. Some of the first stuff I learned in Electronics schools in the Corps many, many, many, years ago.

Thus, knowing the voltage provided by a PS, and the rated Watts, you can tell the Amps available.

See? Si! :D

And yes, I would also prefer a quality 600W, stable voltage, PS to a 900W cheapo PS. Computers don't get along very well with much variation in the voltages, especially the CPU.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Yes, they are related, but it isn't always clear, particularly when the PSU has multiple 12V rails, how it is all split out. One 12V rail is fairly straight forward, whereas one can get into trouble with multiple rail models. You could have a 650W PSU with a single rail giving 54 amps, or one with 4 12V rails at 30 amps each. At least most are single rail models these days. It's still always a good idea to check though.

My main point was that most users don't need to spend extra for an 800W or higher PSU. Even 700W and up is vast overkill for many.

Umm...Watts and Amps are inter-related. Watts are Volts times Amps. Amps, therefore, are Watts divided by volts. The equation is very easy to remember, presuming you like P=IE :D

All part and parcel of Ohms Laws. Some of the first stuff I learned in Electronics schools in the Corps many, many, many, years ago.

Thus, knowing the voltage provided by a PS, and the rated Watts, you can tell the Amps available.

See? Si! :D

And yes, I would also prefer a quality 600W, stable voltage, PS to a 900W cheapo PS. Computers don't get along very well with much variation in the voltages, especially the CPU.

Pat☺

P=Power=Watts I=Current E=Voltage(Except in this illustration V=Voltage)

images.png

Now I can hardly wait for a discussion on Common Base, Common Emitter, Common Collector transistors. We can check out what Bob and Carol did in that "Big Garage".

Good ol' Navy Avionics Fundamentals School NATTC Memphis, Tenn.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So is my 650 w corsair tx going to be adequate enough for my new set up ? Also I was gifted from a good friend a ssd its smal n also a 1 tb reg hd

Yes, I believe it'll be fine. They have a very good reputation.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Good ol' Navy Avionics Fundamentals School NATTC Memphis, Tenn.

That is preceisely where I learned that stuff.

Only I didn't use a triangle, I always drew an oval around the three letters. I called it Ohm's Egg :D

And good ol' Bob and Carol, it's been a LONG time since I thought about those two!!

So is my 650 w corsair tx going to be adequate enough for my new set up ? Also I was gifted from a good friend a ssd its smal n also a 1 tb reg hd

I would definately say YES :) That PS is fine for your needs.

If the SSD is big enough to hold the OS and Pagefile, you'll be in great shape. Put the Sim over on the 1TB HD, and run it from there.

Six Bells and

All is well!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get a big enoug SSD. Not some puny 128 Gb thing.

make sure it is at least 256gb, or better, 512 gb.

Then install fsx on C.

Keep all other progs on c as well.

makes backup easy. Just make a System Image of C regularly.

Anything goes wrong, virus, registry issue,program issue, fsx problem, etc, all you need to do is restore the image, and you are back in buissness.

Everything on C will then be set a few days back of course, so store your important personal files on the HDD. Create drive D and E there.

That is where you store photo's documents, etc etc.

When you restore the image only C wil be affected. D and E will be untouched.

So is your image was made on Wendsday, and two days later on friday you have a computer virus,

You restore the image. C will be back to wednesday, but D and E will be as the were on friday.

A System Image restore is done with a System Restore Disk (a CD). This will always run, whatever is on your drive at the time, working OS or not.

The Image gets saved on an external drive.

I'v written a way too long text explaining the details.... important though....

so I'll attached that as a .txt file.

Anyway, get a large enough SSD to put windows, programs, and fsx on. (my fsx after two years has grown to 39Gb).

My SSD is 256gb (238 in Windows, with 124 gb available).

Looking back, I would choose a 512 gb SSD instead. Drives run better when they are part empty.

image making.txt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get a big enoug SSD. Not some puny 128 Gb thing.

make sure it is at least 256gb, or better, 512 gb.

Then install fsx on C.

Keep all other progs on c as well.

makes backup easy. Just make a System Image of C regularly.

Anything goes wrong, virus, registry issue,program issue, fsx problem, etc, all you need to do is restore the image, and you are back in buissness.

Everything on C will then be set a few days back of course, so store your important personal files on the HDD. Create drive D and E there.

That is where you store photo's documents, etc etc.

When you restore the image only C wil be affected. D and E will be untouched.

So is your image was made on Wendsday, and two days later on friday you have a computer virus,

You restore the image. C will be back to wednesday, but D and E will be as the were on friday.

A System Image restore is done with a System Restore Disk (a CD). This will always run, whatever is on your drive at the time, working OS or not.

The Image gets saved on an external drive.

I'v written a way too long text explaining the details.... important though....

so I'll attached that as a .txt file.

Anyway, get a large enough SSD to put windows, programs, and fsx on. (my fsx after two years has grown to 39Gb).

My SSD is 256gb (238 in Windows, with 124 gb available).

Looking back, I would choose a 512 gb SSD instead. Drives run better when they are part empty.

Makes perfect sense and it actually is gonna save me a ton of headache in the future , thanks

Archived