Another reason I hate Windows 10 with FSX

westway

I will admit my "new" gaming PC from "iBuyPower" give the greatest rendition and graphic results of any prior gaming PC I have ever owned. But it comes with Windows 10 and the biggest drawback I have found is that I have to copy the aircraft cfg file out onto my desktop to make any changes then copy it back into FSX and replace the existing file. Does anyone using FSX in Windows 10 know of any way to overcome this problem?

FSX is something your going to be doing a lot of customizing and editing to. UAC is going to be a pain in the rump. I wouldn't turn down the UAC either. I got ALL my games on physical hard drive D:

Better just re-install it outside of the program files now. You might need the Microsoft patch to clear out your registry before you re-install it too.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928080

BTW, if you start Notepad or Word Pad as ADMINISTRATOR, you won't have to move your aircraft.cfg outside Program Files to edit them. But even doing that is a pain.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Question: Perhaps I missed it, but in all the discussion about Win 10 and FSX, has anyone come up with any ADVANTAGES to having Win 10 vs. earlier versions of windows? Is there any real reason to convert to Win 10?

In my old Windows 7 it was locate there and never had a problem so I beg to differ, it is Windows 10. . . . .

I assure you, it's not. You probably turned down the security settings.

Cheers!

Luke

Question: Perhaps I missed it, but in all the discussion about Win 10 and FSX, has anyone come up with any ADVANTAGES to having Win 10 vs. earlier versions of windows? Is there any real reason to convert to Win 10?

I can't say no with 100% assurance. But in my case, I haven't hear of or found a reason to convert, so I haven't converted.

Having said that, long-term for anyone who intends to make changes or updates of their FSX or P3D programs, putting either on the hard drive as a separate entity rather than in Program Files is IMHO the best way to go. And the sooner you do that, the less you'll have to reinstall later! :cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Not if it's just for FSX. - Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Just me here but everytime there is a new version of windows there are growing pains. For the most part I am happy with Win 10 apart of not being able to update what I feel I need and not what microsoft says. AD

Remember the coffee is free, hot & fresh, Happy Flyin:pilot:

Just drop the UAC slider right dowm. No need to re-install!!

I've been running FSX on Win 7 for years. It is installed in the Program Files(x86) folder and runs and updates with no probems. Just keep the UAC off and you'll be fine. Don't reinstall.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GIGABYTE AMD Radeon 5700XT, 32mb DDR4 RAM @ 3600 mbs, Asrock X570 motherboard

I've been running FSX on Win 7 for years. It is installed in the Program Files(x86) folder and runs and updates with no probems. Just keep the UAC off and you'll be fine. Don't reinstall.

Thank you. I'm happy I'm not the only one! I've just done another install into trhe sim's default folder. So, I have FSX & a few P3D's all in their default folders. UAC turned down, malware & antivirus checkers all in place. Never a problem, ever!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hackers love your computer.

Edit an aircraft.cfg and try to re-save it.

Install a program that needs to edit something in your FSX.

Then let us know. If you don't do these then FSX is fine where it is at.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

There seems to be an inherent problem in the Windows 10 application as it relates to updating "cfg" files. I say this because in spite of the postings to my question in Windows 7 my security setting was the "recommended" setting and any changes I wanted to make to any "cfg" file worked without incident, however, this is not the case in Windows 10. When I attempt to make a change to the file then go to the upper left corner and click save I get a screen that shows me everything in that particular aircraft file except to cfg file. There is no getting around the issue, so I continue to copy the cfg to the desktop, make the change/changes and copy it back to aircraft folder and overwrite the existing cfg.

Westway,

uninstall fsx,

reinstall fsx, to a different folder.

For example:

C:\fsx

or:

D:\fsx

Then you can edit any fsx file you need.

We all had to do that in win7 too. The last OS where that did not happen when installing in program files is windows XP. But no need to argue on about that.

Do not switch off uac, it's there to keep your operating system safe. It also protects program files folders, so important programs like virusscanners do not get changed and corrupted.

It even protects the system from stupid changes by the users mistakes.

Install fsx outside program files, because in fsx you know what changes to make.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zwobby,

if there ever was a problem you wouldn't know. You switched uac off as you say. So it won't warn you if your os files get attacked.

Same for your virusscanner. It could have been attacked and corrupted long ago and may well no longer work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"you can lead a horse to water (solution to op's problem explained many times in thread) but you can't make him drink (hard-headed)"
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Archived