Another reason I hate Windows 10 with FSX

westway

Unfortunately it seems to be that way even if you *don't* have WIN10. Hardly a day goes by that M$ doesn't "rattle my chain" about upgrading to WIN10. There will come a time when I'll undoubtedly *have* to upgrade. But, at the moment I really like the smooth way my FSX works in WIN7 64-bit. I have FSX installed in F:\FSX and it works like a champ.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

A couple items I've noted from an OS perspective:

Those with Win7 are really happy with how FSX performs and what they can get their sim to do. Most people on various forums and creating YouTube/Twitch content are using Win7, or now Win10.

I didn't pay attention to this when I built my new machine almost two years ago, and installed Win8.1. Win8/8.1 introduced a USB power saving feature from the hardware level where if you context switch away, you can lose your controls (joystick, yoke, pedals, throttles, etc). I didn't realize this as for >20 years I've been flying solo (no multiplayer, online). But when I decided to join Vatsim, I realized all these problems when I would click on vPilot, or bring up a web browser on another screen to see airport diagrams and charts. It was terrible until I switched to Win10.

I have not experienced the permission issue in Win10 that started this thread - after watching several people with FSX on YouTube, I determined that the best install was done on a separate hard drive that is an SSD drive. My install location is M:/FSX/. I don't regret for a second the extra $200 is cost me at the time to get a 500GB drive for FSX alone. I have a lot of add-ons and it is completely worth it. Install times and load times are as incredible as having an SSD for your boot disk.

So there is an advantage (IMO) to having Win10 over Win8/8.1. However, I haven't come across an advantage to Win10 over Win7.

Archived