Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you people ever FLY with 2020??

I seem to spend more hours twiddling with and tweaking msfs and my system than I do flying and spend loads of time test flying in the same area to see what effect my latest tweak has had. I was the same in FSX and FS9 though and probably in even earlier versions.

System tweaking, graphics tweaking, aircraft tweaking, environment tweaking, controller tweaking, scenery tweaking - is there no end to the amount of tweaking I have to do?
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

Quote Originally Posted by casarabill View Post
    I have to say I am impressed with the new sim. I been flying MSFS since the early 90's. Started with an Atari 8 bit computer game version of it! And MSFS98, FSX. But this MSFS2020 this is pretty impressive. I tried the landing challenges and enjoyed them. I even landed the Caravan in Indonesia, on that tribal village hilltop landing strip, First time! Definitely felt the tension on approach. And they had to helicopter the AME's in to check the air frame for cracks!
    The scenery is wonderful and I run it at high end setting with my rig. I tried running the default ultra high setting, but in some city settings, in the dense areas the frame rate slows down. I flew the Airbus from Montevideo, Uruguay across the Andes to Santiago, Chile on ultra high setting. Which worked fine for the most part from take off and cruise, but on the approach to landing the frame rate dropped way down and I had to predict where the plane would go with my inputs. but was able to land it barely. I found I was also able to get the auto pilot working at cruising altitude. But I had to hunt for the hidden spots on the panel to activate it. So it needs some adjustment by the development team. I was able to keep the Airbus on course on autopilot for a few hours. So it feel like the airliners might need further work.
    I bought FSX Steam when I upgraded to windows 10 and its o.k. I do have FSX Acceleration in the CD's. As well I got tons of add-ons ie:, global mesh/ texture improvement and planes and I am toying with trying to reinstall it. Then do all the rebuilding and all the work involved. Or hoping FS2020 takes off and we see helicopters and more aircraft. Right now I feel it needs a few more up dates and some things that were in the old FSX brought over.
    For example, in FSX you press shift z or shift x and you will get some red lettering your airspeed and wind direction at the altitude your flying, your frame rate. This show up a couple lines showing along the upper border of the screen. Which I kind of used as a heads up display upon approach. Its a little thing but would be nice to have back.
    I not sure if I am doing something wrong in my settings for the hat switch. but you only get front views and side views. You cant be able to pan around and hold say at the 10:00 o'clock position when your turning in like in FSX. If you can do that, please let me know what step I am missing.
    But again the landscapes and terrain features are awesome. I flew by Mount Fuji and you could see the trails people use to walk up to it. Like wow. Same as flying into areas of the world that I have visited. This sim is amazing for the graphic leap forward. That alone makes it hard to go back to FSX.
    So first glance I am impressed, I would be very happy if they add a few helicopters, and transport plane like a C-130 Hercules, VTOL Harrier or Osprey. I sure we all have our wish lists. I understand the developers pushing out the door to make money. But it feels like its 3/4 done, and the last quarter is still in beta mode.
    But the scenery and weather effect, I be happy to be flying the Caravan in and out of little strips in Indonesia, or anywhere else for a long time yet. Even if they don't improve it. But if they do listen to real world pilots who fly fs2020 and can spot the issues and errors and then ATTEND to them. Well then they will really have hit the ball out of the ball park with this version of MSFS, IMHO.

My rig:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-core Processor 3.50 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, X64 based processor.
    windows 10 pro, 19042.746, windows feature experience pack 120.2212.551.0
    monitor: HP L2245 wg LCD monitor,
    graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, 3GB,

Agree with much of this. I really had to tweak my hat switch settings to try and emulate the FSX feel of panning around for views, but the effort was worth it for sure.

Go into your settings and manually set each view for camera: drone, external, and cockpit. I also cleared "quick look" settings because I didn't find it helpful to have to constantly pan in a direction, only to have it reset the minute I let go of the hat switch. A pain, but that extra 10 minutes of work has really helped.

Just as an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	controls.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	225003
    - James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Regarding the hat switch and looking around...after messing around without satisfaction, I decided to use the mouse control (drag w right button depressed) for looking around. Along with the zoom control, I use this technique for looking around outside, and for cockpit access to radios, parking brake, etc.

Big advantage: using the hat switch in fsx often led to an unintended movement of the stick that I'd have to correct for. Now viewing and primary ac control are separated.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Default Weather accuracy. Not bad

I decided to fly the C-172 from Vancouver B.C. to Friday Harbor in the USA across the border. In clouds with less then 300' ceiling and wet snow. Something you would not do in real life with a C-172. I was basically on instruments and the GPS immediately upon take off. I flew at around 2000 feet and tried to climb out of the clouds but only made it up to 3000 feet, until I could not climb any more about 10- 15 mins into the flight. Humm.. What's coating on my windscreen edges? Oh that looks like ice forming...better hit the De-Ice boots. Oh I do not have them. And I not climbing but actually was slowly going down, even in level flight and full power. We are not making Friday Harbor.

I am now over one of the northern San Juan islands and there is a small strip showing on the GPS. I think I do remember the runway direction, I am at 1000 and going down out of other options. A steep turn into the airport direction and then full flaps on hoping to make the field, not the trees! Out of the mist comes a clearing and we are committed. Flared and landed undamaged. Whew that was pretty good lesson on ice effects in the sim. I am impressed.

I did check my log book, got credited for the takeoff, but not the landing..Damm!

Quote Originally Posted by djfierce View Post
    Agree with much of this. I really had to tweak my hat switch settings to try and emulate the FSX feel of panning around for views, but the effort was worth it for sure.

Go into your settings and manually set each view for camera: drone, external, and cockpit. I also cleared "quick look" settings because I didn't find it helpful to have to constantly pan in a direction, only to have it reset the minute I let go of the hat switch. A pain, but that extra 10 minutes of work has really helped.

Just as an example:
    I have done something similar, however I use an xbox controller which I originally intended to use exclusively to control the drone, but I later assigned for some of the cockpit and external commands too.

One of the xbox joysticks is assigned to "look left / look right", "look up / look down" in external view, and I just left the hat switch assignments to be quickview; so I have both methods available.

I also assigned cockpit views to the xbox, which gives me complete control of cockpit camera position (left / right and view height), and direction of view, so I don't use the hat switch for cockpit views anymore.

None of these commands interfere with each other.
    i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Quote Originally Posted by sfojimbo View Post
    I have done something similar, however I use an xbox controller which I originally intended to use exclusively to control the drone, but I later assigned for some of the cockpit and external commands too.

One of the xbox joysticks is assigned to "look left / look right", "look up / look down" in external view, and I just left the hat switch assignments to be quickview; so I have both methods available.

I also assigned cockpit views to the xbox, which gives me complete control of cockpit camera position (left / right and view height), and direction of view, so I don't use the hat switch for cockpit views anymore.

None of these commands interfere with each other.
    I'd probably do the same if I had an x-box controller, as the joystick hatswitch can be cumbersome at times.
    - James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

They are only about $20 at Amazon.
    i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Blog Entries

Wel, well, well, l what a pathetic rant!!!!! I run my 2020 in dual screen mode when not in VR with no problems, the graphic card software provides the dual screens... I think you need an holiday lol
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz
    ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
    4x8GB = 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LXP 2400MHz
    XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III ULTRA-14GBPS 6GB Boost UP to 1750MHz GDDR6 3xDP

RE: Do you people ever FLY with 2020?

Well, no. But I do sit at my computer and pretend to with MSFS, FSX, FS9, whatever strikes my mood that day.

Sorry, everyone, I just had to...😂

Please don’t misunderstand, I do respect those of us that take their sims seriously.
    Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM @2666 Mhz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, 1 + 2 TB SSD’s and 1 + 2 TB spinner sata’s, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, FS9, FSX, MSFS

Quote Originally Posted by daspinall View Post
    Wel, well, well, l what a pathetic rant!!!!! I run my 2020 in dual screen mode when not in VR with no problems, the graphic card software provides the dual screens... I think you need an holiday lol
    Interesting irony here ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123