Kodiak Approach

BillD22

Here are some shots of a Reeve Aleutian Airways Lockheed L188 "Electra II" on an approach into Runway 26 at Benny Benson State Airport (PADQ) on Kodiak Island, Alaska in the Aleutian Island chain.

This is an interesting approach because of the 2563 foot mountain sitting immediately at the end of the runway. It makes a late go around decision very risky once you're committed to landing - especially if the weather is IMC :eek::eek: Fortunately its a crystal clear VFR day for our approach. Should be a piece of cake.

R26.jpg

Some views of our aircraft and scenery on the approach. Reeve was the last world airline to fly the Electra in scheduled passenger service.

R12.jpg

R13.jpg

R1.jpg

Ok - committing to landing. Don't screw this up!!

R2.jpg

R14.jpg

Down safe and rolling out.

R15.jpg

Shutting down on the ramp. We may possibly need a little bigger tow :D

R16.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Looks great as always Bill! What method do you use to share/attach your screenshots? My photos always come up very small or truncated when I manually attach them using "manage attachments" under the "additional options" at the bottom of the page.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Rick, James, & Larry - thanks for looking and the good words - much appreciated.

Looks great as always Bill! What method do you use to share/attach your screenshots? My photos always come up very small or truncated when I manually attach them using "manage attachments" under the "additional options" at the bottom of the page.

Rick: I don't use "Manage Attachments." I use the "Insert Image" icon which lets you select the image and then uploads and puts the capture directly into the post at full size. See this screenshot with arrow indicating the icon. Hope this helps!

Forum.jpg

Amazing place to land. Great shots of it! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It almost looks as i you superimposed a plane on the real world in the water shots.... the scenery and skyscape look amazing

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

OMG an Electra!! ;)

I remember when Air California used them like they were a city bus. Climb aboard and pay a standard fare. Then get off however many stops later you choose!! I'm really sorry that didn't become an aircraft industry standard!!

My only dislike was Air California always flew in a counter clockwise direction. If you wanted to fly from LAX to John Wayne , it was a very short flight. But going back to LAX meant you toured 99.5% of their entire route system and stopped as often as you would making a complete circle of bus stops as well!!.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

OMG an Electra!! ;)

I remember when Air California used them like they were a city bus. Climb aboard and pay a standard fare. Then get off however many stops later you choose!! I'm really sorry that didn't become an aircraft industry standard!!

My only dislike was Air California always flew in a counter clockwise direction. If you wanted to fly from LAX to John Wayne , it was a very short flight. But going back to LAX meant you toured 99.5% of their entire route system and stopped as often as you would making a complete circle of bus stops as well!!.

Michael

You mean these guys? :D I was on a National Airlines Electra with a similar "up and down" east coast itinerary. Left Washington National in DC and stopped in Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Pensacola, Mobile, and ended in New Orleans. I got off in Pensacola.

aircal.jpg

Reminded me of famous Revree Electra accident when during the flight from Cold Bay to PANC, one of propellers came off and its spinning blades cut off a big hole on bottom of the plane which had to fly all the way over huge water body with gaping hole on bottom of the plane to make emergency landing on PANC. During the flight, the passengers could see from Fl210 through the big hole on the passenger cabin floor the clear view of icy water.

The pilots wanted to shut down the engine one because of fear that the second engine damaged the first one but the maintenance experts at PANC told the pilots through the radio that engine one of any Electra should never never never be shut down during flight because the engine one was providing electrical power and all other sources of power needed to keep Electra stay in air.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Reminded me of famous Revree Electra accident when during the flight from Cold Bay to PANC, one of propellers came off and its spinning blades cut off a big hole on bottom of the plane which had to fly all the way over huge water body with gaping hole on bottom of the plane to make emergency landing on PANC. During the flight, the passengers could see from Fl210 through the big hole on the passenger cabin floor the clear view of icy water.

The pilots wanted to shut down the engine one because of fear that the second engine damaged the first one but the maintenance experts at PANC told the pilots through the radio that engine one of any Electra should never never never be shut down during flight because the engine one was providing electrical power and all other sources of power needed to keep Electra stay in air.

Regards,

Aharon

Thanks for reminding me of the Reeve mishap. The crew did a fantastic job of getting the airplane back on the ground.

Interestingly there were several similar incidents involving Navy P3 aircraft - which have engines almost identical to the Electra. The Reeve aircraft case involved the #4 (right outboard engine). I believe the P3 incidents involved the #2 (left inboard) engine. In the Reeve situation the prop that separated was furthest from the aircraft. In the P3 cases the engine and prop were right next to the fuselage and manned crew positions unfortunately resulting in some fatalities although the aircraft were able to land safely.

Edited by BillD22