Is the Premium version worth buying?

I'm facing the buy decision next month. With all the 3rd party stuff that's available is it worth buying the Premium version from MS or better to do a custom set up on the Basic version? I'm content to begin with to just re-learn to fly the 152/172 in Basic although I would rather have the steam gauge versions but I can adjust. It just seems that you don't get a lot more for your money in Premium.

I'm also thinking Basic might download faster. Does anyone know about that?

Is there a way to upgrade? I haven't seen one.

I'm more likely to explore out of the way places rather than the big airports you get with Premium at least for quite some time. So I guess the real question is what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Flap faster their gaining on us.

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Is the Premium Deluxe version worth having? I think so, you may not use the extra aircraft or visit all the places yourself.

Check out one of the many videos online, like this one..

It’s clearly a few months old (& slightly out of date now) but it’s still a good one.

As for download times..l it all depends on your internet connection. I have downloaded the premium deluxe version several times. If I do it in the early hours, it takes around two hours or less for me (I have 200mbps) but for some it takes much longer.

No doubt the standard version will be a little quicker but it’ll be minimal.

If you buy the standard version but then decide to upgrade later (yes, you can upgrade to deluxe or premium deluxe) it will actually cost you more than if you’d bought that version originally.

Hope this helps you decide.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Experience has always told me that if I buy the cheaper version of anything, I always end up wishing I hadn't, especially with CPUs and GPUs. I therefore bought the premium deluxe edition and am glad that I did. Compared with the money I spent on my PC upgrades, the cost difference is is marginal.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I can only report MY reasoning for buying the "Deluxe" middle offering. I wanted the airports and airplanes it offered over the "Basic" package but did NOT have any interest in the extra ones that the "Premium" version provides.

Down the road 'aftermarket' products I assume will work for any of the three should I wish added aircraft or scenery.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

It's a hard call, same here I wanted all the extra planes and airports..... but already we can download scenery and planes, you may want to throw the dice with this one ha

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I don't have this new sim, but I recall when FSX came out, it wasn't long before a lot of folks were bemoaning the fact that they didn't get the Deluxe version and there was no upgrade path, thus it was buy a new copy or do without.

So while it's your choice, you might keep this in mind.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I don't have this new sim, but I recall when FSX came out, it wasn't long before a lot of folks were bemoaning the fact that they didn't get the Deluxe version and there was no upgrade path, thus it was buy a new copy or do without.

So while it's your choice, you might keep this in mind.

The difference with MSFS is that there is an upgrade path. Another big difference is that if you wanted the SDK for FSX you had to go for the Deluxe version, whereas with MSFS you can download the SDK with any version.

The difference with MSFS is that there is an upgrade path. Another big difference is that if you wanted the SDK for FSX you had to go for the Deluxe version, whereas with MSFS you can download the SDK with any version.

There is an upgrade path, sort of. As was pointed out earlier, and I also found out, if you want the Deluxe or Premium versions, it will cost more then if I had bought them first. I paid $60 for the Basic, decided 2 months later to get the Premium. That would have cost me $99

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Well, I'm allergic to wastig money, so I would advise to only buy one of the more expensive versions if you plan on using the extra planes and airports. Otherwise, burn your money - at least then you'll get a little heat out of it.

I will go for the Deluxe version, because I hate the garmin C172 and I want Cape Town Intl. I have no reason whatsoever to spend extra for the holy sh-t version.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

In a word No! It is far to expensive for what it's worth. Too many problems, too many CDT's. Wait a year or so until it's stable. It's nothing like we have seen in the past despite what others have said. Yes FS2000, 2002, 2004 and FSX all had their problems but they were useable and the bulk of problems were quickly sorted out. Think the last one was the third patch for this one and all of the main issues, CTD's, flight dynamic issues and autopilot problems remain. Different but no better. Don't think this will get any better until Microsoft realize just how disastrous it is and hire new developers. Certain fanboys here will blame your lack of skills, or your setup, or your Internet Connection. Most of the time they are talking rubbish. The thing is just not fit for purpose.

Geoff

Geoff,

At early to mid 70s, I don't think fanboy applies. Anyway, I point out that many of us use the program without any of these problems, are we just lucky, or is something the user is doing causing the problem?? There are a myriad of things that can frustrate the program including addons and controllers that conflict. The AP is very different than FSX, and until you learn how it works, you will always be saying it is broken.It is a steep learning curve!! Yes, the A320 and B787 rock from side to side on AP, but that isn't a serious flight dynamic problem. If you are using the modern flight flight dynamics, the planes fly very smoothly for me. If you are using Legacy, DON'T!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi Plainsman

Well, looking at this forum I don't see too many people using this sim without problems. I have used every MS Flight Simulator since FS95. Microsoft Flight, Flightgear, Xplane 9, Xplane 10, and Xplane 11. I even used Fly! for a while. I believe that I know my way around simulators. I feel pretty competent in flying an Airbus or 747 from Cold and Dark startup to final approach and landing in FS9, FSX or Xplane. So please don't patronise me on my ability. The autopilot modes of an Airbus are fairly well documented and quite straightforward to the initiated. Are you telling me me that they are different in MSFS? If so why so?

Autopilots in the GA planes are modelled on the Garmin ones. Are you telling me that if you disconnect the autopilot on a Garmin G1000 the aircraft is supposed to shoot to 90degrees vertical as it often does in this sim? Read the other posts on the forum, it is still a problem after three patches. Nothing to do with controls set up or user ability, just shoddy programming.

When the developers released the program, they released the recommended specifications for running it. Like any other software it should run within these specifications without crashing to desktop every time it is used. It doesn't, as highlighted by many people on this forum.

I am pleased that you, and others like you, are enjoying the sim without problems. Lucky, yes I think you are, but when I see the number of posts you make on the forum rubbishing peoples setups and ability, I do ask myself how much time you actually spend flying in the simulator.

Geoff

Several issues here. First, none of my aircraft "shoot to 90degrees vertical"! It just doesn't happen on my setup. My strong hunch is you either have a controller conflict or your controller is not properly calibrated.

Second, Yes, "Are you telling me me that they are different in MSFS?", Yes I am!! They are very very different!

Third, I am not rubbishing anyone's setup! I do point out that it is ridiculous to try to run 4K at not just Ultra, but completely maxed settings with an I7-7700K! To then complain when the system creates artifacts from data lag is foolish! If you want to run 1080p with a minimal system, I don't begrudge that! But don't come on saying you get stutters in 1440 with ultra settings!

As to the last part, check the screenshiot forum. You will see i frequently post shots from MSFS! BTW, none of the aircraft are in 90 degree climbs in those shots!

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I purchased the Premium for a couple of reasons... One, I know that from reviewing the MSFS 2020 that it is really not just an upgrade from previous sims, but a whole new sim. Two...I like having it all. Yes, the has been some anomalies and CTD, but the reality it is an entertainment sim. I will put up with the glitches and "opps" as long as the publishers keep working on improving it and correcting the deficiencies and errors. All in all...I like it. This is my opinion, yours may differ and that is ok. After all, any landing you walk away from is a good one :)

The AP is very very different in MSFS than in FSX. Are you an actual Airbus pilot? BTW, you do realize Airbus has people working on the project with Asobo?

Who cares what your frame rates are or your rig for that matter???

Since you can't make the logic flow, the point about the screen shots is I have to be flying to take them, since you seem to imply I am not running the simulator! I am not trying to say the shots really demonstrate the performance of the sim, and you are in showcase to take them, but you can't get into position to take the shots if you don't fly the aircraft.

BTW, what is a "lie down"??

Edited by plainsman

So the MFSF modelling of the Airbus is completely different to the way the actual airbus works?

Never mentioned my rig, framerates or anything else.

Screenshots? My car has India printed on the rubber but its never been there!

Think you need a lie down mate

Goodnight

The AP is very very different in MSFS than in FSX. Are you an actual Airbus pilot? BTW, you do realize Airbus has people working on the project with Asobo?

Who cares what your frame rates are or your rig for that matter???

Since you can't make the logic flow, the point about the screen shots is I have to be flying to take them, since you seem to imply I am not running the simulator! I am not trying to say the shots really demonstrate the performance of the sim, and you are in showcase to take them, but you can't get into position to take the shots if you don't fly the aircraft.

BTW, what is a "lie down"??

Let's try to stick to the original questions gentleman.

Purchasing separate aircraft from addon vendors can be $45.00 a pop and with the top package you get 11 extra planes and some of them are must have types. Then you get more airports and so on. So the premium packages are a deal.

I bought the basic, and at some point in the future I'll have to pay for the upgrade which is costly, so I wish I would have bought the premium from the start.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Raven,

Something to consider also is going the XBox game pass route. Try the basic version that comes with game pass and then decide if you want to make the big purchase. It's what I am doing. I love this sim and will eventually upgrade all the way but for now I am letting Microsoft and Asobo work their magic. I have had a few CTD's but nothing regular. The AP is somewhat tricky compared to what I remember from FSX and caused me a lot of frustration and I even said a few bad words but as Plainsman said it was "MY" unfamiliarity with the system not a flaw in the program..I fully plan on upgrading eventually but for now Game Pass works perfect for me.I also dont try and run the program beyond my rigs capabilities....

Everyone uses the sim their own way, so it's hard to answer.

As I see it, they were very cunning when they scattered some heavy, some medium and some light aircraft across the three versions. This way you feel compelled to buy the premium version (as I did) if you don't want to miss any aircraft of a specific category.

Since I'm only interested in light aircraft, I wish they had made a "light aircraft only" version, without any of the airliners and such, which I will never use. Of course, there should also be "medium aircraft" and "heavy aircarft" versions for those interested.

Given the quickly increasing variety of 3rd party add-ons, then, if I had to decide now I'd surely buy the standard version.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "downgrade path", which I would gladly follow in order to get rid of those airliners which are only taking up space in my HD.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)