Resolution question

Sorry I can't find a Tech help section so i'll try my luck here..:)

This below is my NVidia resolution option screen and I use the highlighted reso for all my games and sims and it seems to work fine.

But why are the top five in their own 'Ultra' group separate from the 'PC' group?

My only concern is that by using an 'Ultra', I might be putting too much of a strain on my PC, leading to possible overheating problems or something, what do you guys think?

And what does 'Ultra' mean exactly?

Thanks, answers on a postcard please..:)

-------------------------------------------

resol1.png

Hi.

More information is needed on CPU, OS, Mobo, BIOS.. for better help but I do not think that your CPU will have an issue, make sure you monitor it for an while and use the Utilities that came with your Mobo to set parameters.

It is likely that your Video may be stressed and you should monitor that but given the settings you have available I would use then 1080P, I use 4k on an i7 8700 @4.7 with Nvidia GTX 1080, 1070 with no problems.

FSX is not very hard on the hardware when compared to Assobo20, XP11...

Sorry I can't find a Tech help section so i'll try my luck here..:)

This below is my NVidia resolution option screen and I use the highlighted reso for all my games and sims and it seems to work fine.

But why are the top five in their own 'Ultra' group separate from the 'PC' group?

My only concern is that by using an 'Ultra', I might be putting too much of a strain on my PC, leading to possible overheating problems or something, what do you guys think?

And what does 'Ultra' mean exactly?

Thanks, answers on a postcard please..:)

-------------------------------------------

Those resolutions at the top look like they are standard TV resolutions, and aren't all "Ultra". The name actually looks like it reads it is listing an Ultra HD (or probably more commonly Full HD), HD and SD (Standard Definition). Essentially those would be what you want to want to use when connecting to a TV. So, are you using an TV with the PC? Is it a 1080p HDTV?

As for issues, unless the cooling in the PC is really poor, or the power supply is poor quality, the only real downside to using a higher resolution is going to be lower performance. All CPUs and GPUs will throttle themselves down if they are getting too hot (which will lead to poor performance). As for what resolution to use, typically you want to use the native resolution for the monitor or TV you are using. So, as others have said, we need more details to provide better answers.

PS, for PC Hardware or Software help there are specific forums for them if you scroll down the forum home page a bit further.

Unless your getting a annoying frame rate slow down in 1080p, I would use that because that's the default resolution (Native) of your display. If it's too large on the display, you can make a smaller, custom size in the Nvidia control panel.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Just set it to the native resolution. Everything else it lower quality.
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.