747-800 Climb Rate?

Was watching a preview video where the guy was taking off in the 747-800 - sorry no link as it was via YT on the TV while using the exercise bike(!). However it looked at one stage the plane was climbing at +-9000 fpm and a cut to external view showed at an angle of nearly 45 degs.

Surely that can't be right, some brief Googling indicates a maximum climb rate of around 4000fpm if passenger comfort not an issue, otherwise 1500fpm. Does that mean we could be in for some disappointment where physics are concerned? Not sure which version of the sim the guy was testing, fairly recent upload so possibly the beta or "press" gold version.

Vern.

From what I read in a number of forum posts elsewhere, there are a lot of "gamers" playing around and posting Youtube vids of their goofy flights pretending to be fighter jocks with the aircraft. Pay them no heed!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

From what I read in a number of forum posts elsewhere, there are a lot of "gamers" playing around and posting Youtube vids of their goofy flights pretending to be fighter jocks with the aircraft. Pay them no heed!

I saw that too...

Just newcomers thinking this is just another video game, like GTA or something. They’ll be the first to reject it because they can’t create a massive crash with damage..

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Remove all the seats, add minimum fuel, throw in a few fighter pilots, and you can do this...

Sorry, could not find a 747-800

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Why the disdain for gamers?

One of the things to do with a simulator is to explore what an aircraft can do and where it's limits are.

And like Elvensmith said, if 10k fpm is outrageous then the flightmodel should limit this, not the pilot.

One of the things to do with a simulator is to explore what an aircraft can do and where it's limits are.

And like Elvensmith said, if 10k fpm is outrageous then the flightmodel should limit this, not the pilot.

While I will choose to fly as prototypically as I am able, I welcome the thought of all sorts of people buying this sim. It will fund the types of improvements that I hope MS will be making to it for hopefully many years to come.

Some of the buyers will develop the same passion for flight that I had when I started sim flying back in 1984 with the very first sim that they released.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

In real life you can do a "zoom climb" which means that you are trading airspeed for altitude. So if you have an aircraft that can do 3,000 fpm in a normal climb, then you likely could take that aircraft at cruise speed, then raise the nose and get over 10,000 fpm for a short time, though it couldn't be sustained for too long. It's all about energy management, and you can, indeed, trade altitude for airspeed and vice-versa.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Just one of the things I was reading about the new Sim is the Multiplayer/AI mode. Sounds like when in Multiplayer mode, the AI aircraft you see are actually other Simmers flying in the same area as you. It was mentioned that some of the "gamer" types were trying to fly into other aircraft they saw. This is when flying online.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

They are apparently called “grievers’ little things like flying into airplanes, blocking access to terminal gates..yea..I will be turning multi-player off first thing.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Was watching a preview video where the guy was taking off in the 747-800 - sorry no link as it was via YT on the TV while using the exercise bike(!). However it looked at one stage the plane was climbing at +-9000 fpm and a cut to external view showed at an angle of nearly 45 degs.

Surely that can't be right, some brief Googling indicates a maximum climb rate of around 4000fpm if passenger comfort not an issue, otherwise 1500fpm. Does that mean we could be in for some disappointment where physics are concerned? Not sure which version of the sim the guy was testing, fairly recent upload so possibly the beta or "press" gold version.

Golden Rule: If its on youtube...its just the kids

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

It all depends on our weights, temp and thrust setting, etc. I came out of ANC and climbed right up to FL380 mostly unrestricted in a -8 a few weeks ago and the climb was about 15min so.... average of about 2500 fpm.

Hope this helps.

B747 Pilot (Real World)

Golden Rule: If its on youtube...its just the kids

Not so. Watch some of the free JustPlanes 747 videos on YouTube where there's often shots of the instruments during critical times in flight. And, yes, you'll see climbs around 2400 fpm again and again. AirClips is another good YouTube channel to see REAL flight operations.

Not so. Watch some of the free JustPlanes 747 videos on YouTube where there's often shots of the instruments during critical times in flight. And, yes, you'll see climbs around 2400 fpm again and again. AirClips is another good YouTube channel to see REAL flight operations.

I think you misread my post

I said 2500fpm is average ; 9000fpm is fantasy, like kids jerking with a toy up and down

And i said youtube is full of kids just showing how the plane flies in autopilot,

Plus now in MSFS2020 there is a button for auto-control that self lands the plane

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I haven't bought it yet. Thought I'd wait a while and see what bugs cropped up before spending money on it.

I'm a bit concerned that the developers may have spent most of their time optimizing the wonderful looking exterior scenery and weather and left the aircraft flight models to the last minute.

We still use FSX for nav training at our flying organisation. It is very effective in that area (with photographic scenery and ASE).

I have met quite a few younger students who "learnt" to fly on FSX and have unfortunately developed a habit for over-controlling when they fly with me during the early part of their training. It takes a while to train that out of them!

Not too sure whether this version of the sim would be as effective a training aid. That beautiful scenery and weather is very distracting!

Adam