Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MSFS will be subscription [Author's Opinion]

No, the sim is still installed and run much the same as current sims like X-Plane and FSX. The difference is that they have added the ability to stream scenery data from Azure servers. There are 3 modes, an offline mode for those with slow or no internet connection, a mode where you can download and cache the data, and the full online streaming where the scenery data is downloaded on the fly. In all cases your PC is doing the work of running the sim and rendering the data for display on your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    Prove it!

If this is really "confirmed information" you should be able to provide us a direct link to where this information came from. Otherwise it's nothing more than your own personal speculation.
    To be clear, the two options for purchasing the game, one time and Xbox Game Pass for PC, have been confirmed. What hasn't been confirmed anywhere, and has little to no evidence, is his claim that access to the streaming data will require a subscription for the one time purchase option.

Pure speculation, from another sim forum that is known for unfounded speculation & such like.
    We have probably less than a year to wait, until all is revealed.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    What hasn't been confirmed anywhere, and has little to no evidence, is his claim that access to the streaming data will require a subscription for the one time purchase option.
    Geez...I made no such claim. lol

I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    You will need to sign up to MS's game service and pay a monthly fee to use MSFS or you can buy the game outright. This is the "confirmed" information. The rest is speculation as is what I will explain below.
    I then "speculated" you will likely require a subscription for streaming data. Below is my insane reasoning.

Now, from a couple of other comments made in this thread.

You cannot compare how FSX was sold or how any game from 15-20 years ago was sold. These are modern times.

Today, you can still buy games outright or subscribe just like you will with MSFS. However, you will find if you want to use any online or multi player features in those games, you need to pay.

To assume you will be able to buy MSFS outright and stream more gigabytes of data than any other game on the market I can think of for no additional cost is absurd is it not???

Btw, this community is such a friendly bunch.
    Mark Daniels

5. Default

I've been slammed for making so many comments on MSFS but I know myself, looking back at them from day one of the announcment, not one has been proven wrong yet. Looking forward to MSFS release.
    Mark Daniels

Geez...I made no such claim. lol
    Hmmm... Perhaps reading the title of the thread would trigger a memory.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Today, you can still buy games outright or subscribe just like you will with MSFS. However, you will find if you want to use any online or multi player features in those games, you need to pay.
    See, this is why people have a hard time with your reasoning. It is patently false that all PC games require a subscription to play online. In fact Microsoft says right on their Xbox Game Pass site that no subscription is required for PC games to play multiplayer.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Do I need Xbox Live Gold to play online multiplayer games on PC?

No, you do not need Xbox Live Gold. There is no additional charge to play online multiplayer on PC. You will need a wired or wireless Internet connection to play online.
    As for not paying a subscription, you completely ignored all other points I brought up. There are plenty of options that don't require paying a subscription.

8. Default

See, this is why people have a hard time with your reasoning. It is patently false that all PC games require a subscription to play online. In fact Microsoft says right on their Xbox Game Pass site that no subscription is required for PC games to play multiplayer.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

As for not paying a subscription, you completely ignored all other points I brought up. There are plenty of options that don't require paying a subscription.
    You might want to research multiplayer a little more. From what I see and I don't keep up with MS's Live changes every week but there appears to be some misinformation.

Even if MS's multiplayer is currently free, the change to this would've been made very recently and only this year, there is a HUGE difference between allowing people to connect to each other and allowing people to download gigabytes of data. This is gigabytes they may download maybe every single day for years and years and they will do this all after paying a one time fee to purchase the game? C'mon, surely I am not the only one here who can work this stuff out??? lol

I will state, I have not gone and searched the likely thousands of online games on the market to determine if every single one of them requires a subscription to play online. I am sure if you look hard enough there may be the odd exception here or there. You will have to take what I say as being a little general with the emphasis on "a little."

I'm not sure what other points you want clarified.
    Mark Daniels

9. Default

No, the sim is still installed and run much the same as current sims like X-Plane and FSX. The difference is...
    Ah, I see you're much more informed than I Thanks for the info. Subscription, streaming, local or whatever, I'm very much looking forward to it and hoping it's worth the wait.

Cheers

You might want to research multiplayer a little more. From what I see and I don't keep up with MS's Live changes every week but there appears to be some misinformation.

Even if MS's multiplayer is currently free, the change to this would've been made very recently and only this year, there is a HUGE difference between allowing people to connect to each other and allowing people to download gigabytes of data. This is gigabytes they may download maybe every single day for years and years and they will do this all after paying a one time fee to purchase the game? C'mon, surely I am not the only one here who can work this stuff out??? lol

I will state, I have not gone and searched the likely thousands of online games on the market to determine if every single one of them requires a subscription to play online. I am sure if you look hard enough there may be the odd exception here or there. You will have to take what I say as being a little general with the emphasis on "a little."

I'm not sure what other points you want clarified.
    So you admit that you don't know what you're talking about or have evidence to back it up.

Many, many PC games are free to play online multiplayer, and have been for years (so no, it hasn't changed recently). And it isn't just some obscure games either, Microsoft's Halo and Gears of War for the PC do not require a subscription. Games from Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, and many others are all free to play online multiplayer. In fact, outside of the MMO genre, most PC games are free to play online. There are also games that provide the base game for free, and then charge for additional content, if one desires. Which would be a very good fit for MSFS.

If you're going to claim that most, if not all, games requite a subscription, you need to actually provide evidence. So far you haven't. And as for paying for the streaming data for MSFS, you still refuse to acknowledge that there are many other options than requiring all players to pay a subscription. After all, this is 2020 and the software world has changed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast