Aircraft Carrier of the Desert KSEZ

Having had enough climbing up and over mountains to last a few days my next "Challenge Accepted" landing was at Sedona Arizona SEZ. It's described as being on a 500' high Mesa with steep drop offs at each end of the 5,100' Runway.

Further description included that in calm fair weather the duty for landing is usually 3 while the duty for takeoff is usually 21 to take advantage of the 1.8 percent uphill gradient of Runway 3. And warns that whether landing or taking off there is often turbulence caused by the drop-off at each end of the Runway.

My plan, RW time and weather was to depart Flagstaff FLG and do a T&G there. Fly over to AZ70 for a T&G, then turn to and land at SEZ early in the day so the winds would hopefully still be fairly calm. I didn't need any dust devils or hot gusts surprising me!! So @09:30 local with a wind out of 13 @5 gusting to 8 and 69F I began.

Bottom line it all went well except at SEZ I had to do three (3) Go Around Landing Aborts before I managed to get stopped!! THE END OF THAT RUNWAY DOES COME UP AWFULLY FAST!!

Enjoy! I did!;) :rolleyes: Michael

1 Tower view FLG.jpg

2 Final TG FLG.jpg

3 LEAVING FOR AZ77.jpg

4 fINAL t g AT az&&.jpg

5 Terrain enroute to SEZ.jpg

6 More Terrain.jpg

7 SEZ Duty In Sight.jpg

9 Boom the Tower to visualize Landing.jpg

10 Turning Downwind.jpg

11 Touchdown.jpg

12 Clearing the Duty after Stopping and Turning Around.jpg

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Really cool!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thought I'd try the same, so I flew to Flagstaff from where I was using and aircraft which could make the trip. So I got there in a 747. Flagstaff is at 7000 feet with a 7000 foot runway. There's no way I could land there in a 747!

So I diverted to Phoenix. Just as I was coming in to runway 26, there's a huge autogen building right off the threshold. Who put that there!

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Thought I'd try the same, so I flew to Flagstaff from where I was using and aircraft which could make the trip. So I got there in a 747. Flagstaff is at 7000 feet with a 7000 foot runway. There's no way I could land there in a 747!

So I diverted to Phoenix. Just as I was coming in to runway 26, there's a huge autogen building right off the threshold. Who put that there!

I assume you diverted to PHX. So I just went there myself and flew all around for a few minutes. Other than the terminal itself, which would have been on the left from 26, I didn't see anything surprisingly large on the property. I'm on P3Dv4 using ORBX addon scenery and it showed me the Bank One Baseball Park quite well. But that is downtown and several blocks away from the airport, but nothing of any size closer than that?

What software are you on?

Michael

Default scenery. Not on the field, just off it. I was following the ILS to 26 but if I had continued I would have hit a building. Had to turn the AP off to go over it.

Default scenery. Not on the field, just off it. I was following the ILS to 26 but if I had continued I would have hit a building. Had to turn the AP off to go over it.

WOW!!!! I'll have to re-look at it with default!

Michael

I just powered up FSX with totally default (no add on scenery) and shot several T&GS pretty much onto every runway at PHX using ILS and pretty much every default scenery choice I found. I even played with the scenery autogen settings and found zero, NADA, new or unexpected buildings there.

Perhaps you could honor us with a screenshot showing what you found along with listing your software, scenery, settings, etc.? That'd be very interesting and what happened on your flight will probably be of value in the future to all of us!!!

Michael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]219020[/ATTACH]

That’s a problem!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi pilot! Don't know whether a plane such as the King Air has any procedure pour short runways

With a single prop GA plane, the procedure is: have the downwind -- or the approach -- made at few above stall speed with flaps. That reduces speed allows to decrease the necessary runway length

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hi pilot! Don't know whether a plane such as the King Air has any procedure pour short runways

With a single prop GA plane, the procedure is: have the downwind -- or the approach -- made at few above stall speed with flaps. That reduces speed allows to decrease the necessary runway length

Yes, pretty much the same on any fixed wing.

Hey Andy,

Like many if not most I've also discovered rogue issues. My latest example was at SFO where ILS missed the duty by at least 100 yds. :eek: :eek:

But in this case, I've tried three different scenery sets and two different sims at PHK with no issues. Here is what ILS to 26 looked like to me a few minutes ago. And yes it is a bright Friday morning with lots of glare there!!

p3.jpg

Michael

Edited by Rupert

That's very clearly not default scenery. Interesting though how it is different for different people. I'm using P3Dv4, though I doubt that makes a difference.

That's very clearly not default scenery. Interesting though how it is different for different people. I'm using P3Dv4, though I doubt that makes a difference.

Hey, that was shot with P3dv4. It's not default scenery but I can double check it with default. I doubt that is the difference. BTW: My first view was of FSX with only default and it was fine as well.

Here you go. P3Dv4 with default into PHX. I wonder what your A1 add on settings are set on? Frankly I've not played with them much.

Michael

PS: Looking at the shot just now I noticed the "weather" isn't entirely default. Out of habit I always dial it in based on current METARS. But that shouldn't have any effect on stationary objects on the ground.

Have you had this experience anywhere else? Probably this like my ILS experience flying into SFO off centerline, is a limited issue. Sometimes these freaks do happen.:eek:

t1.jpg

Edited by Rupert

No, almost all of what I have is default, including KSFO where I can follow the ILS right to the runway. Odd how it appears so different for two people.

I'm assuming you have FTX Global and with that you can't revert to default without reinstalling the sim, it's not something you can turn off in the scenery library. The FTXG ground textures overwrite the defaults and they also overwrite any autogen annotations. The autogen is linked to the texture by filename, and each texture has it's own .agn file (except maybe in the case of desert or water textures where there are no buildings or vegetation). This is done to ensure trees end up on treed areas, buildings end up on building footprints, etc. Assuming you and Andy are using the same landclass you would both be seeing for example 037b2su1.bmp off the end of rwy 26 (no idea, random filename just for the sake of example). His being default however would be showing a default texture with default autogen annotations where yours would be a completely different texture visually (FTXG) with a different set of autogen annotations. That would explain why he's seeing the building and you're not.

Just an FYI. Sweet flight and shots BTW. :)

I'm assuming you have FTX Global and with that you can't revert to default without reinstalling the sim, it's not something you can turn off in the scenery library. The FTXG ground textures overwrite the defaults and they also overwrite any autogen annotations. The autogen is linked to the texture by filename, and each texture has it's own .agn file (except maybe in the case of desert or water textures where there are no buildings or vegetation). This is done to ensure trees end up on treed areas, buildings end up on building footprints, etc. Assuming you and Andy are using the same landclass you would both be seeing for example 037b2su1.bmp off the end of rwy 26 (no idea, random filename just for the sake of example). His being default however would be showing a default texture with default autogen annotations where yours would be a completely different texture visually (FTXG) with a different set of autogen annotations. That would explain why he's seeing the building and you're not.

Just an FYI. Sweet flight and shots BTW. :)

Thanks Jim! And you're right I do have Global FTX and short of removing it altogether it's there. I hadn't thought of that.:confused:

Michael