Steam P-51's all turning left.

GBJim

I recently installed the Steam version of FSX. All of my nine P-51 Mustangs are turning left. Yes, I calibrated my stick, and No, it's not happening to any other aircraft, all are running arrow straight. You Steam guys must have seen this, so what's the fix ? ? ?

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Well, I read thru that link, and if it's true of all nine Mustangs in Steam, then I just won't fly the thing. It's a pain in the butt. All my other aircraft, including my add-on's, are running straight as an arrow. Yes, they do appear to be all racing Mustangs. I was hoping that I might be able to adjust rudder trim, or something in the Aircraft's CFG file.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I think what you are seeing is the effect of Torque and P-Factor, which happens in the real aircraft, especially one like the Mustang with it's powerful engine. You need to compensate with opposite rudder. If the effect is too much go into the realism setting and move the sliders for P-Factor and turque to the left to reduce the amount.

Well, first off, they're racers. They go round the course to the left. They're set up so that's easier on the pilot. He doesn't have to hold a lot of rudder and aileron in to keep them going round the course properly. Saves a lot of pilot fatigue.

Second, there's this little detail single engine prop jobs in general, and powerful ones in particular, have. It's called the P-Factor. It's an aerodynamic feature of the prop's airflow around, and down the fuselage, of the plane. It's make prop jobs tend to turn left. If you read a actual P-51 POH, or just about any WWII war-bird (not the P-38 :D ), in fact, you'll see that you need to set rudder trim to the right for take off. And aileron trim to help hold the right wing down. Also, you can't just hop in a plane like a p-51 and gun the engine to full power for take-off. You have to set the manifold pressure to 30-35 InHg, less than 50% throttle, to start the take off roll. Once you start developing rudder authority, you can start bringing the throttle up, slooowly, to full power. The faster you go, the more rudder authority you have, the easier it gets to control the P-factor.

If you don't do it that way, you'll go sailing left off the runway, and bouncing off across the field, in a constant left turn. That's if you don't dip your left wing-tip into the ground and ground-loop it. Even the well modeled Corsair, or P-40, will do the same thing.

ALL the single engine prop planes in the sim do it to a greater or lesser extent. Try the default C-172. If you don't give it some right rudder trim, and hold your twist joystick a little right, when you begin your take-off roll, you'll go sailing off the left side of the runway, maybe even ground loop it. Even some 2-4 engine prop planes do the same thing, if all the engines turn the same direction. Try the default DC-3, you'll see it.

All this presumes you have your realism sliders to the right. If you turn all that down, or off, naturally none of the planes will do it, but it really, IMO, ruins the whole experience. Why bother turning the sim that is so very capable, into a cheap desk-top video game? It's your dime, I realize, but heck, there's cheaper ways to just pretend to be in a pretend airplane that's super easy to drive around the pretend sky.

Anywho, have fun with it. Thats what it's there for...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Only has a 120 gallon LEFTWING fuel tank. Perhaps adding a rightwing tank would help balance it for easier straight line flying.

[Fuel]

LeftMain =-1.8, -4.1, -1.8, 120, 0.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

fuel_type=1 //Fuel type: 1=Avgas, 2=JetA

number_of_tank_selectors=1

electric_pump=1

This is the Mooney Bravo for comparison...

[Fuel]

LeftMain = -4.1, -7.9, -0.8, 47.5, 3.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

RightMain = -4.1, 7.9, -0.8, 47.5, 3.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

fuel_type = 1 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetA

number_of_tank_selectors = 1

electric_pump=1

Anybody knowledgeable at modifying such things? Is there also something in the [weight_and_balance] that would need editing? How about the airfile?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

This is from my Alphasim P-51.

[fuel]

//Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

fuel_type = 1

number_of_tank_selectors = 1

electric_pump = 1

//Remove "//" to active the additional tanks

//Center1 = -4.6, 0, 0, 85, 0 //Usually not used because of handling problems

LeftMain = 0.000, -5.000, 0, 92.000, 0.000

RightMain = 0.000, 5.000, 0, 92.000, 0.000

//External1 = 0, -7.4, -1.5, 110, 0

//External2 = 0, 7.4, -1.5, 110, 0

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'm going to try that in mine MrZippy...balanced and more range with 184 gallons. Wonder if it's that simple or something else in the [weight_and_balance] or airfile as mentioned needs to be changed.

Default... notice center of gravity

P51 Default.jpg

With mrzippys mod...

P51 AlphaSim Tanks.jpg

Can't switch the fuel valve but both tanks draw evenly.

@dogdish....here is the weight and balance from my Alphasim.

[weight_and_balance]

// ACM V2.4

max_gross_weight = 12403.000

empty_weight = 7954.000

reference_datum_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

empty_weight_CG_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 8600.000

empty_weight_roll_MOI = 5450.000

empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 11000.000

empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0.000

CG_forward_limit = 0.000

CG_aft_limit = 1.000

max_number_of_stations = 2

station_load.0 =180.000000, -2.800000, 0.000000, 1.450000, Pilot

station_load.1 =5.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, Armament

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

//[Fuel]

//DEFAULT FSX

//LeftMain =-1.8, -4.1, -1.8, 120, 0.0 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

//fuel_type=1 //Fuel type: 1=Avgas, 2=JetA

//number_of_tank_selectors=1

//electric_pump=1

[Fuel]

//MULTI TANKS FROM AlphaSim P-51

//Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

//Remove "//" to active the additional tanks

//Center1=-4.6, 0, 0, 85, 0 //Usually not used because of handling problems

LeftMain=0.000, -5.000, 0, 92.000, 0.000

RightMain=0.000, 5.000, 0, 92.000, 0.000

//External1=0, -7.4, -1.5, 110, 0

//External2=0, 7.4, -1.5, 110, 0

fuel_type=1

number_of_tank_selectors=1

electric_pump=1

2018-6-20_12-20-47-616.jpg

Change the value '-4.1' (lateral position) to '0.0' and it will center the fuel tank load. No need to do anything else. But then be sure you don't have 'auto rudder' enabled. You will need to input left rudder when you bank manually when racing, which will lead to a painful (carpal tunnel) wrist if you fly for hours in a circle. To fly level is no biggee.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Change the value '-4.1' (lateral position) to '0.0' and it will center the fuel tank load. No need to do anything else. But then be sure you don't have 'auto rudder' enabled. You will need to input left rudder when you bank manually when racing, which will lead to a painful (carpal tunnel) wrist if you fly for hours in a circle. To fly level is no biggee.

Chuck B

Napamule

You nailed it Chucky ! That simple tweak made it a whole nother aeroplane. At least for me anyway. I have no desire to race. Thanks brother !

Jim

The simplest solution for this here newbie is to just download a better Mustang. I'll start with that one from Alphasim. Thanks guys.

Jim

Sorry if that all looked complex! Copying and pasting would have been quick since you sounded familiar with the aircraft.cfg. Basically the unbalanced leftwing racing fuel tank was removed and replaced by the default long range military fuel tanks. Napamule2 solutions however effectively got the same result of balancing the weight. Glad it worked out for you.

However I wouldn't want to be the unwitting pilot that some nitwit mechanic slid a leftwing 120 gallon fuel tank directly under the seat :) But that's just me!

which will lead to a painful (carpal tunnel) wrist if you fly for hours in a circle.

Perhaps so, if you use a twisting stick for rudder control. I've tried that a couple of times and can't do it smoothly or with any precision, so I use actual pedals. My CH Pro pedals, along with so many others on the market, are designed to rest your heels against a raised portion at the bottom of the pedal, with the feet at a very odd angle, but control is miserable like that, so my heels rest on the floor and my toes against the heel rest, making pedal control rather good, but eliminating the toe brake feature of the pedal, since I can't get my feet that high without contortions. But at least I can control the rudders much as I do in a real aircraft.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

For what it's worth,

I have the Dunkirk Spitfire (payware). It has two tanks both mounted in the center. No wing tanks at all. You can vary the front to rear C/G by changing the fill level. But side to side is not affected.

My guess is the Spitfires you're seeing are designed as someone mention, as racers only. So the weight on the left wing makes perfect sense. If you're looking for a more balanced aircraft similar to those the military used I'd suggest you stay away from the racer specials.

BTW: I agree with Larry. I find rudder pedals to be a huge step up in simulating R/W flying!

I have a joystick for use on those aircraft that came with one. I also have a yoke for planes which came with yokes. I use the same rudder set with either one.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived