FSX control issue

jm1947

After starting up FSX yesterday I found a problem which was not there the last I used FSX (2 days ago), I have the Saitek yoke & throttle system, so when I check the flight controls etc. I noticed that my throttle in the cockpit does not retract fully as it did previously. So when starting the engine my C172 my aircraft begins to move off, I have re-calibrated my controls after re-installing them, using the Saitek calibration program my controls work as they should. I've also done a repair of FSX and I still have the problem.

Before uninstalling all of my FSX and addons I thought I would ask for help in the forum, so can anyone please suggest any ideas on solving this problem, as mentioned this has never happened before.

After starting up FSX yesterday I found a problem which was not there the last I used FSX (2 days ago), I have the Saitek yoke & throttle system, so when I check the flight controls etc. I noticed that my throttle in the cockpit does not retract fully as it did previously. So when starting the engine my C172 my aircraft begins to move off, I have re-calibrated my controls after re-installing them, using the Saitek calibration program my controls work as they should. I've also done a repair of FSX and I still have the problem.

Before uninstalling all of my FSX and addons I thought I would ask for help in the forum, so can anyone please suggest any ideas on solving this problem, as mentioned this has never happened before.

Re-calibrate the controls. You don't say what software you use but you should be able at least check it through the calibration system of FSX.

jm - I have had the same ongoing issue as you describe, and it only happens when I start FSX from my default airport! Doesn't matter which aircraft, FSX starts throttle up. Just tried my 172 at Savannah, GA airport (my default airport) it started at 1700 RPM! I have tried making sure everything was at idle when saving my default Aircraft/Airport. It is easier managed now that I saved the default with the parking brake on.

Not saying your situation is the same as mine, try the same aircraft from a different airport!

Good luck and I will be watching to see if anyone else has this problem, and if they have found a fix for it. I have just considered it as a "nature of the beast" and learned to live with it and work around it! - Rick

Re-calibrate the controls. You don't say what software you use but you should be able at least check it through the calibration system of FSX.

I did say that it was the Saitek calibration program that I checked it with, also used the FSX one and all appears to be fine. Also stated this is the first time using my Saitek in 4 yrs that this has happened.

jm - I have had the same ongoing issue as you describe, and it only happens when I start FSX from my default airport! Doesn't matter which aircraft, FSX starts throttle up. Just tried my 172 at Savannah, GA airport (my default airport) it started at 1700 RPM! I have tried making sure everything was at idle when saving my default Aircraft/Airport. It is easier managed now that I saved the default with the parking brake on.

Not saying your situation is the same as mine, try the same aircraft from a different airport!

Good luck and I will be watching to see if anyone else has this problem, and if they have found a fix for it. I have just considered it as a "nature of the beast" and learned to live with it and work around it! - Rick

Hi, as you suggested I've tried 2 different airports but still have the same results, my thinking now is to uninstall everything (and there is a lot) connected to FSX, check the reg and delete anything that has FSX attached to it, then do a defrag and a reinstall, I can't see another option. Finger scrossed

This may be related to a corrupted saved flight which has been set as the default flight. Prior going down the reinstall route try this......

Make the following change in the FSX.cfg file..........

Under the [uSERINTERFACE] section change the SITUATION= entry..... it will read something like this

SITUATION=C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ Current

Delete all of the info after = sign so that it now only reads SITUATION=

Save and close the .cfg file

Start FSX. FSX will not be able to load the last saved flight and will generate an error message. Accept the error message and FSX will load the default starter flight (ultralight over Friday Harbour). Test the throttle response on the ultralight and then switch to the C172 and test. Exit the flight and, using the free flight page, set up the C172 on the ground at an airport and see how it loads.

Once happy that the throttle problem is cleared make any necessary change to suit your needs (i.e. setup the aircraft as cold and dark for example) and then save the flight as you would normally.

Regards

Brian

This may be related to a corrupted saved flight which has been set as the default flight. Prior going down the reinstall route try this......

Make the following change in the FSX.cfg file..........

Under the [uSERINTERFACE] section change the SITUATION= entry..... it will read something like this

SITUATION=C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ Current

Delete all of the info after = sign so that it now only reads SITUATION=

Save and close the .cfg file

Start FSX. FSX will not be able to load the last saved flight and will generate an error message. Accept the error message and FSX will load the default starter flight (ultralight over Friday Harbour). Test the throttle response on the ultralight and then switch to the C172 and test. Exit the flight and, using the free flight page, set up the C172 on the ground at an airport and see how it loads.

Once happy that the throttle problem is cleared make any necessary change to suit your needs (i.e. setup the aircraft as cold and dark for example) and then save the flight as you would normally.

Well Said!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well Said!!

Hi Longbreak 754 & Rupert, after installing FSX it was just the same so I tried out your suggestion and that did not work either so I'm wondering if I should order a new throttle system, one to think about.

I did say that it was the Saitek calibration program that I checked it with, also used the FSX one and all appears to be fine. Also stated this is the first time using my Saitek in 4 yrs that this has happened.

Actually I have heard that sometimes happens over time with Saitek. Something to do with a dirty pot. If I recall correctly the cure is to make multiple position changes at full stroke doing each change in quick order. I haven't had that issue so far Knock On Wood!!

Keep us posted as to what you find!!

Rupert

Actually I have heard that sometimes happens over time with Saitek. Something to do with a dirty pot. If I recall correctly the cure is to make multiple position changes at full stroke doing each change in quick order. I haven't had that issue so far Knock On Wood!!

Keep us posted as to what you find!!

Rupert

Hi Rupert, not quite sure what you mean by "multiple position changes at full stroke doing each change in quick order" I'm assuming moving all 3 controls. When moving the controls I've noticed that both the throttle and mixture do go right in but only retract half back out.

Hi Rupert, not quite sure what you mean by "multiple position changes at full stroke doing each change in quick order" I'm assuming moving all 3 controls. When moving the controls I've noticed that both the throttle and mixture do go right in but only retract half back out.

Keep doing what you're doing, that's what I meant. I can see where how I said it could be confusing. I can't say that exercise works, but I have read it sometimes does. If it were me I'd at least give it a serious try before I spent more money.

Keep doing what you're doing, that's what I meant. I can see where how I said it could be confusing. I can't say that exercise works, but I have read it sometimes does. If it were me I'd at least give it a serious try before I spent more money.

Hi Rupert,

Just thought I'd mention the fact that I also have a Saitek X52 Pro joystick & throttle, the throttle works fine when I use in FSX so totally confused.

Hi Rupert,

Just as quick update, I've now received my new Saitek Throttle quadrant along with drivers, and still have the same issue. So I'm absolutely clueless as to the problem, I do have X-Plane 11 so I'm going to try my Saitek hardware on that.

Right guys,many thanks for all your inputs. I've managed to resolve the problem, I even tried a brand new throttle which had no effect. I did however re-install FSX 3 times, but doing so I looked through the regedit listings, deleted all link to MS FSX. I also deleted all reference to Saitek, then closed down, rebooted, run a defrag then reinstalled FSX,tried my original throttle and bingo it worked, not sure what the heck was going on but back to normal. So once again all for all your help. ;)

Archived