addon scenery/scenery not recognized in FSX

yotuke

I have over time added some scenery,all freeware and they all worked fine.

But recently I found that they do not show up in FSX ie: the 3 runways at KSEA,upgrades to KORD (new runways and

cargo ramps),and upgrades to KATL.

Most of the bgl files are just added to addon scenery/scenery, 4 of them I had to add thru the scenery library.

They all worked great,but yesterday I was going to KORD and found the default scenery,no more new runways.

I removed all the bgl files in the addon scenery/scenery folder, and the 4 sceneries in addon scenery folder,and removed them

in the scenery library.

So I put them back in 1 at a time and added the 4 back in the scenery library, and the other bgl's back into addon scenery/scenery

folder as before but none of the upgrades show up in FSX. When I make a change it says building a scenery data base on boot up.

I have not installed anything in FSX since the last time I added KMCO scenery several months ago. I also made sure the

default scenery is selected in the go to airport window.

I searched the forum but could not find anything relating to this.

I could post a screen shot if needed,not sure how to get it in here right now.

Any help here would be appreciated, Thanks Charles

It is normal that FSX rebuild the scenery database every time you add/remove sceneries.

For your problem, maybe just a scenery priority issue...

Make sure that your add-ons are at a high level priority(top list) in the scenery library.

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Daniel, Yes I have moved the addon scenery up to #1 in the scenery library and still no joy.

When I make a change in the scenery and it rebuilds the database, it happens very fast, seems like

it used to take alot longer to rebuild.

I'm using win7 and the accelerator in FSX

Thanks

I removed all addon scenery, downloaded LAX 3.0 ,added to the scenery library #2 in priority,builds a data base,everything normal to this point,but does not show up .

I also had a KMCO scenery that I removed and redownloaded, added to the addon scenery folder,

added it in scenery library, but does not show up. says its already there,but it isn't. also dosen't show in the sim either When it's added using add area it does not show up in scenery list.

If I remove it from the addon scenery folder,I get a message:

SCENERY.CFG file error.Local scenery directory(Addon \KMCO2.0\SCENERY) in scenery Area115 not found. Click OK to continue

I'm stuck, I have my permissions set to move files in FSX ,I can add airplanes no problem

I hope I don't have to do a reinstall,everything else works fine

Thanks

I also had a KMCO scenery that I removed and redownloaded, added to the addon scenery folder,

added it in scenery library, but does not show up. says its already there,but it isn't. also dosen't show in the sim either When it's added using add area it does not show up in scenery list.

If I remove it from the addon scenery folder,I get a message:

SCENERY.CFG file error.Local scenery directory(Addon \KMCO2.0\SCENERY) in scenery Area115 not found. Click OK to continue

I'm stuck, I have my permissions set to move files in FSX ,I can add airplanes no problem

I hope I don't have to do a reinstall,everything else works fine

Thanks

Always remember to delete any scenery from the Scenery Library BEFORE deleting it from the Addon Scenery folder. Give no thought to doing a reinstall of FSX. That should be the last thing to think of.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Charles,

An observation WRT the 'SCENERY.CFG file error.Local scenery directory(Addon \KMCO2.0\SCENERY) in scenery Area115 not found' error message - If the path given is correct (i.e. no typos - possibly it should read Addon Scenery\KMCO2.0|SCENERY) this suggests that you removed the scenery files without de-activating the scenery in FSX first or, more likely suggests that there is possibly a wider issue with the whole of the folder structure associated with Area.115 itself.

This area is, in a default FSX install, the default Addon Scenery folder (and its associated Scenery/Texture sub-folders). If correct, the (Addon \KMCO2.0\SCENERY) part of the message indicates that the missing scenery was located in Addon Scenery\Addon \KMCO2.0\SCENERY. This area, if you activated it correctly would have had a different Area.XXX number and it would be this number appearing in the error message.

Additionally, placing the default FSX Addon Scenery folder at P1 is not necessary and may even cause issues. In fact, in a default install of FSX and the Acceleration pack (as hinted by your statement 'I'm using win7 and the accelerator in FSX', there will be default scenery entries above the Addon Scenery entry in the P list.

Try the following...this will rule out a possible corruption issue with the current scenery.cfg file. Depending on how much scenery you have installed, it can be done with the additional scenery still in place but it would be better to 'strip' the Addon Scenery folder back to it basic default format (i.e Addon Scenery and the two empty Scenery/Texture subfolders) - you can save the current setup by copying the whole folder to a location outside of FSX and then use this to copy back in the addons once you have a basic error free setup. You don't need to uninstall the scenery via the FSX settings page as this procedure will 'clear' the current entries.

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and locate the current copy of the scenery.cfg file. Rename the file to scenery_old.cfg. Close the window.

2. Start FSX. This will build a new basic scenery.cfg file that will contain all of the default FSX scenery entries. Once the database has been built close FSX.

3. Add a scenery - I suggest, in the first instance, adding a simple one that only contains .bgl file(s) and to add the .bgl file(s) into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder. Start FSX and the database should be rebuilt as you have used the files into an already activated default area. Test by selecting/viewing the added airport in free flight. If it appears OK close FSX.

4. Now create a new folder under Addon Scenery, for example using the airport name followed by a subfolder called Scenery (i.e Addon Scenery\Airport ABC\Scenery). Remove the files originally placed into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder by right clicking on them and selecting Cut from the menu. Place then in the newly created folder structure by right clicking and selecting paste.

5. Start FSX and navigate to the FSX Scenery Settings page. Click on the Add Area button and then navigate to the folder holding the scenery. Once the info pane is displaying the scenery sub-folder entry LEFT click anywhere in the white area and then click OK. This will add the new scenery at P1. Click OK and let FSX rebuild the database. Test as before.

By doing this simple bit of testing it should show that the Addon Scenery folder is functioning correct and you can continue to add additional scenery.

I will finish with two suggestions.....

First - you don't have to install scenery inside the default FSX Addon Scenery folder. It can be installed anywhere, within reason, even outside of the FSX. As long as the folder structure used is valid - i.e. scenery related files (.bgl) must be placed in a sub-folder called Scenery and texture related files (.bmp .dds) must be places in a sub-folder called Texture) and that FSX knows the location of the scenery - i.e. it is activated in FSX, it will work. The file structure that you use can be as simply or complex as needs be to meet your requirements. The main benefit of using a location outside of the FSX is that, as long as you make a backup of the scenery.cfg file beforehand, any major issue encountered that requires a total re-install of FSX does not mean you spend hours re-installing scenery - simply replace the 'new' scenery.cfg built when FSX is re-installed with a copy of the backup

Second - a tool that might help you with adding scenery is the Scenery Config Tool - see HERE to download and HERE for info/instructions on use. The tool is freeware and allows you to add new scenery without starting FSX. It also detect issues with installed scenery.

Regards

Brian

Brian, thank you Very much for this information. I am going to get on it right away.

I do believe I DID remove the KMCO scenery before deactivating it in the library.

The error message did say,SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory

(Addon scenery\KMCO2.0\SCENERY)in scenery area.115 not found Click OK to continue

Charles

Part2: I emptied the addon folders,renamed the scenery cfg folder. Started FSX and got this message

The "Scenery.cfg" file is missing or damaged.Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore

or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit.

So I made a notepad and named it scenery.cfg and put it in where the one I renamed is.

Started fsx went to the scenery library and the KLAX scenery was there so I deleted it.

I also got the message about KMCO 2.0 not found,then it built a data base. Closed fsx

went to FSX directory to see if it wrote to the scenery.cfg I put in and it is empty. If it made a file

I don't know where it is. The renamed scenery file has area001 thru 120.The one I put in was empty,

but it did build a data base. Should I try to add a scenery?

part3: I added 2 bgl files in addon scenery/scenery for KATL. Booted up FSX got the KMCO error

message,did not build a data base as it usually does when adding bgl's, went to KATL no new

runway, as this was an up grade for KATL. I'M going to download the program you suggested

but I won't be able to work on it till Monday.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Based on the info given in post #11 it does appear to be an issue with the Area.115 entry of the scenery.cfg file which is a result of how you deleted the KMCO scenery (see below). As I previously stated (in para 2 of post #9) when you originally added the KMCO scenery it should have been assigned its own Area.xxx number. This is because Area.115 is related only to the default Addon Scenery folder (and its default Scenery/Texture sub-folders). The fact that the contents of the original .cfg only has entries 001 to 120 is a clear indication that the KMCO install did not take properly and is causing an issue with the Area.115 entry and is still being reported as an error.

When you install SCE and run it, it should pick up the problem and will display an error message next to the entry - it will have a RED triangle sign next to it. The message should be sufficient for you to correct the error but if not post details back into the thread. Note that, on initial use, SCE will open in list view (similar to the FSX settings page). It also has a in-built text editor (accessed via a tab located just under the menu listings). If you click on a area in List view and then switch to Editor view it will open at that entry.

Another option that may prove to be a quick fix is to check the Area.115 entry in notepad to see if you can see an issue. For reference a valid Area.115 should look like this example:

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

When you add new scenery to the default Addon Scenery folder as you appear to have attempted with the KMCO scenery (i.e. at Addon Scenery\KMCO2.0\....) once activated in FSX its .cfg entry should look like this example:

[Area.450]

Local=Addon Scenery\Laage AB Scenery

Title=Laage AB Scenery

Required=FALSE

Active=TRUE

Layer=450

Note that it has a different Area.xxx number and has the scenery name AFTER the default Addon Scenery reference. So for a correctly installed entry it would read Addon Scenery\KMCO2.0.

My final comment is a general one regarding deleting scenery. If, as stated, you removed the scenery before deactivating this will have been the main reason for your problem. Best practice is to:

A. Start FSX and navigate to the Scenery settings page.

B. Select the scenery entry to be removed and untick the Active Box. Click OK to rebuild the database. This action removes the scenery from 'memory' - it should be noted that each time you start FSX it 'loads' information regarding the contents of the scenery into memory' which it then uses to display the scenery.

C. Ensure that the scenery entry is still selected and click on Remove Area. This will remove the entry from the list. Click OK to rebuild the database and then close FSX.

D. Delete the scenery files.

If you choose to use continue to use SCE the process is as follows:

A. Start SCE.

B. Select the scenery area to be removed and click on the Delete Area button.

C. Close SCE ensuring that you save the change when prompted.

D. Delete the scenery files.

When you next start FSX the database will be rebuilt.

Regards

Brian

Damn, Brian, you should have been a teacher, or a manual writer!

Anyway, the Scenery Configuration Editor (SCE) is an excellent tool. It will handle FS9, FSX, FSX:SE and all the versions of P3D. I cannot recommend it enough.

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen,

Actually your not far off the mark WRT 'profession'.......

Although currently a full time carer for a family member, I'm ex military - Royal Air Force 30+ years in the fields of Telecommunications and IT.

I have served in a number of posts/roles where I was responsible for writing such things as Section Orders, Standard Operating Procedures, Local Working Instruction and Basic/Advanced User Guides for a number of military systems (both Comms and IT related). I have also had occasion to write detailed detachment/incident reports and, in my last role, detailed user requirements reports based on info gleaned during visits/briefings/interviews with future users of a new fixed and deployable IT based management system that was being rolled out.

I also have experience of instructing in a variety of 'class' sizes (from 1 to 1 and as large as 30+) and have also giving briefings/demonstrations to varying numbers of people (again from 1 to 1 to, in one case, 300+ people

Regards

Brian

4 years in the Danish Army (Jægerkorps), ended that as Staff Sergeant. 13 years in the Royal Danish Air Force's Ground Observer Corps, roughly equivalent to the Royal Observer Corps in its aircraft warning and tracking role. Was instructor in signals, aircraft recognition and small arms, up to the 84 mm. Carl Gustav recoilless rifle. Ended here as the leading Staff Sergeant, parading the Colours.

Taught the so-called backup tape libraries with my latest employer for 6 years....

Jorgen

Brian, I downloaded SCE, went in and clicked on the line that had the KMCO scenery with error and

deleted it. Saved the changes leaving SCE. Booted up FSX and it built a database.Closed FSX.

Put in the addon scenery folder a fresh download of the photoreal KLAX scenery. Booted up

FSX it built a database,opened the library to activate the KLAX scenery and there is no addon

scenery in the list. Exit FSX. Went back to SCE and and clicked on Restore deleted areas from backup,

but its still not there,in SCE or FSX.

The only way I could open FSX to start with, was to rename scenery_old.cfg back to scenery.cfg

I no longer get the KMCO error mesage. But I also don't have the addon scenery in the library.

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

This is 115 last week and its the same today, if it matters, the KMCO message is gone.

and no new entries in the scenery.cfg after putting KLAX in the addon scenery folder as per

the installation instructions.

Thanks, Charles

If you have a scenrey set up as separate folder:

KMCA

with in it

KLAX/scenery

KLAX/texture

instal by:

place folder /KLAX

in /Addon Scenery

Start FSX, Open scenery library, use "add scenery".

The new airport will be at the top.

To select that airport to fly from, just select the airport as you always would.

To not use the airport:

If you just want to switch the airport off, but keep using it, simply remove the check-mark from it in the scenery library.

To remove it again completely:

-Remove from scenery library list FIRST !!!!!

-Only after that delete folder from computer. (if you want)

See images below.

install folder.

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

Selecting airport to fly from:

3.JPG

Unchecking airport to not have it load.

4.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't explain the adding to the library in images.

That's because that is clearly explained here:

Use method 1 on this page.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/33/installing-addon-scenery-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-x/

----------------

WIth method 2 all .bgl files with scenery end up in one folder.

Using that way it will be very hard to remove a scenery later. Because one airport often is made up of more then one file.

If you have 60 airports in there, all files are mixed together.

And, they are either all on, or off.

Using method 1, each scenery in it's own folder, you can disable them one by one.

Don't forget, if using method 1, if you want to uninstall

the airport's files, you MUST remove it from the scenery library FIRST.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brian and all who helped me fix this problem,

I have used the SCE to fix the original problem and also to add my scenery back in

FSX. Everything is back to normal.

A BIG Thank You to everyone here in the forum. I have had Flightsim since 3.1 but

never added any scenery till FS2004 and then only Afcads to update airport runways.

Mostly just added 3rd party airplanes.

You fellows are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Again, thanks for all the help,I'm back in business again.

Charles

Then some info about the error message.

It's not a "nothing works anymore" error.

Al that error "Area.115" means is: --Notice to user--: "There is an area in my scenery library, but the files for it (folder for it) is not there!!"

FSX will still run just fine.

If in that area was your "KLAX install 1" then that addon won't show and you will see the default airport instead.

That's all, so nothing to worry about.

-------------------------

Thing is, that error can't be fixed using the scenery library in fsx. Because if you go and try to remove the area, fsx will say "area doesn't exist". So you are none the wiser.

You did good fixing it using SCE. That is able to remove the area from the list, even when the file location is long gone.

---------------------

Fixing it by hand is not needed.

Please don't go editing the scenery.cfg file by hand. You will only create problems. Even a small typo causes a mess.

With SCE (Scenery Config Editor) you have a great tool for fixing the scenery.cfg if needed. Hand editing is no longer needed now that SCE exists.

---------------

Because you are just starting with this, and have already found the scenery.cfg file:

make a backup of that file.

So that in the folder are 2 files.

-scenery.cfg

-scenery -0- 180313 old.cfg

that way you have

scenery -0- 180313 old.cfg

as a backup.

And in a little while, after adding some more airports, add another backup.

Filename for example:

scenery -1- 180425 added more.cfg

with a number (-0-), a date (180313) and description in the name, they will show alphabetically organised by number in the folder. And the have a description.

It really helps make sense of things.

like so:

5.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Charles,

Glad to hear the problem is resolved and you are back flyin'

A few observations on the comments you made in post #15........

Either continue to use FSX to add scenery and keep SCE as a fault finding/help tool OR simply just use SCE to add all future scenery to FSX. Although the tool may seem complicated it is really easy to use once you understand how it functions. A good thing about using it to add new scenery is that it will show any errors regarding a newly added scenery BEFORE you commit the changes into FSX. It does by saving any changes made in SCE to a separate file (called scenery.cfg.sce) and the changes are only written into FSX when you start FSX.

You mentioned you tried the Restore function - this will only work if there is a backup copy of the scenery.cfg file, which in your case would not be present.

I suggest that you take time to view the info/instructions page to get an Idea of what SCE can do and then decide whether to use it as your main way of installing scenery. For what its worth, I have been using the tool for many years (originally in FS2004 and now FSX) to 'control' my scenery library, and whilst I have been fortunate and have never had any issues/errors related to installing scenery itself (issues with the contents of a scenery package itself is another matter) I have found the tool a valuable asset.

Happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

WOW, what a great thread! Such clear, concise instructions for adding scenery. My suggestion is to the moderators that they add this to the Newcomers forum. It's great advice about something that plagues many of us from time to time. Wonderful job guys. KUDOS!

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

• 2 weeks later...

Archived