Losing aircraft from the FSX Aircraft Selection menu

Downwind66

I desperately need help on this one. This morning I flew one model of an Airbus, signed off when finished. Tonight, I go into the aircraft selection menu, not only was that one Airbus gone, but another 7 Airbus models GONE? Mind you, all these lost aircraft, their associated computer files were still intact in the Sim Objects/Airplanes section. As I am at a loss of how and where they went, I looked at what I could do without. Tried reinstalling 2 aircraft that I didn't want to lose, I can't get those to load to the menu and in the process of checking if they appeared, I noticed I lost my original first aircraft on the menu, an Aeronca Chief! It's like FSX is swallowing up my aircraft and I don't know why!

Yesterday, I was in the process of backing up my hard drive and the computer went down (or so I thought) about 3 times. Come to find out I had an HDMI cable going to my flat screen monitor go bad. I replaced that and all was good, the backup was successful. other than that, I have not a clue as to what is going on!

If anyone out there has a clue as to what they might think is happening, I would appreciate hearing about it. It is late and I am turning in for the night, but I will be back at it in the morning!

Thanks - Rick

Could be as simple as `favorites` checked... show content of FSX .cfg

What a night! When you refer to the 'favorites' checked and show content, where would I look for that?

Also, FYI, got up this morning, found the Aeronca Chief folder had moved to another aircraft folder. Don't have a clue how that happened? Started whittling away at the aircraft I really hated to see dropped, and have managed to re-install 4 of them. Looks good so far!

JSkorna - Checked all on your suggestions and I am good there! Thanks

Thanks - Rick

Post a screenshot of the aircraft selection screen.

Stop messing with files untill you know the cause. Otherwise you make it worse.

Open the fsx.cfg file. Copy. And paste it in a reply. (=contents of fsx.cfg file).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...found the Aeronca Chief folder had moved to another aircraft folder. Don't have a clue how that happened?

I've accidentally moved aircraft through the windows explorer by dragging the scroll bar, slipping off, and then unintentional 'cut and paste'. Is it possible you have done the same? If you notice it at the time, hit 'undo' to put it back.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Post a screenshot of the aircraft selection screen.

Stop messing with files untill you know the cause. Otherwise you make it worse.

Open the fsx.cfg file. Copy. And paste it in a reply. (=contents of fsx.cfg file).

I have all my aircraft back now! Now I am having sound issues. ATC comes thru loud and clear, but all other sounds are very faint.

#### Exception: The following aircraft are good on all sounds:

A321, B737, CRJ700 and MD83. ####

Most of the add-on aircraft, engine is very faint, if you turn up the volume, atc will blast you out of the chair. Most add-on aircraft, I have sound alias'd to the Airbus_A321.

Any suggestion, I surely would appreciate! Thanks - Rick

I have all my aircraft back now! Now I am having sound issues. ATC comes thru loud and clear, but all other sounds are very faint.

#### Exception: The following aircraft are good on all sounds:

A321, B737, CRJ700 and MD83. ####

Most of the add-on aircraft, engine is very faint, if you turn up the volume, atc will blast you out of the chair. Most add-on aircraft, I have sound alias'd to the Airbus_A321.

Any suggestion, I surely would appreciate! Thanks - Rick

Sounds like you screwed up the nighttime confession of a Native American from Florida who was admitting his guilt!:rolleyes: (we'll see how many get that joke:confused:) You say the default A-321 sounds OK all the way around yet aircraft that use an alias to the A-321 sounds folder don't sound good?

How about the sounds of any of the prop driven aircraft?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I've accidentally moved aircraft through the windows explorer by dragging the scroll bar, slipping off, and then unintentional 'cut and paste'. Is it possible you have done the same? If you notice it at the time, hit 'undo' to put it back.

Dogdish - I don't know what I did, I thought my hard drive was going bad, monitor went black on me, I forced a shutdown, let it sit for awhile. Turned the computer back on and it would go about 30-40 minutes, another forced computer shutdown. One more time this happened before I asked myself, "maybe this might be a monitor problem?" The monitor is one year old and when I got it, the cable that came with it did not agree with the connections on the computer. It did have ports for HDMI which my computer had, so I wanted to get it running, so I found an old one in my stash, hooked it up and everything was fine until yesterday! I realized I had this HDMI on there for a year and it had some age to it before using it for the monitor. I went to the store, purchased a new HDMI, came home and all was good until I found that I had lost some of my aircraft. Was it the forced shutdowns I made? I haven't "the foggiest!" Anyway, got all my aircraft back and I am now having some sound issues!

Thanks for replying back to me! Nice to have people out there when you have these kind of problems!

Have a nice day! - Rick

Sounds like you screwed up the nighttime confession of a Native American from Florida who was admitting his guilt!:rolleyes: (we'll see how many get that joke:confused:) You say the default A-321 sounds OK all the way around yet aircraft that use an alias to the A-321 sounds folder don't sound good?

How about the sounds of any of the prop driven aircraft?

c172, C185, DC3 and Mooney Bravo all good!

Yeah, Mr Zippy, I obviously did something bad, so I will take the abuse! :(

c172, C185, DC3 and Mooney Bravo all good!

Yeah, Mr Zippy, I obviously did something bad, so I will take the abuse! :(

I don't know how much this will help, but I would copy a full sound folder that is being aliased and put it into the aircraft folder of the ones that don't sound good. I normally will do that with both sound and panel folders that are aliased. Hope what I said makes sense?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I don't know how much this will help, but I would copy a full sound folder that is being aliased and put it into the aircraft folder of the ones that don't sound good. I normally will do that with both sound and panel folders that are aliased. Hope what I said makes sense?

I think I got what you are saying. Let me try one and see what happens!

You have to be precise about the aircraft names every time when asking questions. "The 737" tells us nothing. Default? Addon, and if so, which one exactly? Filename? Downloaded where?

Without that it's impossible to help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mr Z - I tried one of the weak ones and your suggestion worked. I am sure the others will be fine doing the same thing! Thanks for your help and please don't spreading rumors around over there about what the Native American from Florida did. I married a woman from New York, that is "hard enough" to deal with!

Have a nice day! - Rick

Did you know volume of engines, cockpit sounds, Atc, and environment can be adjusted seperately? In fsx menu options-settings-sound.

I knew that, but that didn't change anything. Mr Z came up with a solution that worked on one of the weak aircraft; now, I'll go in on the rest of them and tweek them!

Thanks for responding! I was at a loss. Thought I had everything back until the sound issue "reared it's ugly head!"

Thanks and have a nice evening! Rick

Archived