How to have NAV without the Morse code

Stanley777

Hi everyone,

I am trying to learn how to use ILS. However, I find the constant Morse code signal distracting. Right now, I am mainly flying the FSX:SE Learjet, although I think that my question would pertain to any aircraft.

Here is my question. How can I change the setting in the airplane.cfg file to have all the navigational equipment work normally, but mute the sound?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You do know the radios have an audio panel that permits you to turn on and off the sound from any radio, right? If the morse code on Nav1 bithers, shut it off. Leave the radio on, just turn the sound off.

See the below pic. If the light is on, the sound is, if it's off, so is the sound.

ScreenHunter_2228 Feb. 04 22.25_A.jpg

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I hate the morse code sounds, they're useless and annoying

With some aircraft it is NOT possible to turn them off

So I removed the sounds from my 'sound' file

Obviously I don't have them to show you which ones they are - lol

They're easy to find

Look in the 'M' sound files

Just FYI,

I've been told that real student pilots as part of their training need to be able to dial in a VOR and double check it's identity using the morse code (realism here). However, like said above, there are ways to verify and then turn off the morse code signal.

Check out my Real World Flights on the Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Check out my Flight Sim Livestreams on Twitch

Eric Flight Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just FYI,

I've been told that real student pilots as part of their training need to be able to dial in a VOR and double check it's identity using the morse code (realism here). However, like said above, there are ways to verify and then turn off the morse code signal.

+1. A lot of panel gauges do not show the nav1 or 2 identifier labels and the ILS freqs at surrounding airports can be using the same freqs for their ILS.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi everyone,

I understood, I guess, that you could turn off the signal on the audio panel. However, it seems to me that, even when I clicked the light off, I still heard the signal. Perhaps I have been doing something wrong. I'll try again.

But let's say that I continue to have trouble turning off the signal by clicking on the button with the light. Please look at the code below from the aircraft.cfg file from the FSX:SE Learjet:

[Radios]

// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Audio.1 = 1

Com.1 = 1, 1

Com.2 = 1, 1

Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1

Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0

Adf.1 = 1

Transponder.1 = 1

Marker.1 = 1

Which "1" would I change to a "0" so that all of the navaids continue to work but that I have muted the Morse code signal?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

None of those "1"s should be changed, as none of them affect audio. The first one, Audio.1=1 means that there is an audio panel installed. They all have to do with what is equipped, not how it is operated. Reading the SDK about those entries will help clarify that.

In addition to the audio panel, most aircraft NAV radios have an ID button which you can press to turn the code on or off. This allows you to hear any other audio coming out of that NAV radio but with the code turned off. In the real world this is especially useful for you to transmit on 122.1 and hear the reply on the VOR freq through the NAV radio when talking to Flight Service, but I doubt there's much use for that in the sim. It's also useful to be able to hear the weather broadcasts over selected VORs without the code intruding, where that is still available.

Also, if you have the ADF button pressed on the audio panel you might be hearing that.

That's not just for training. It's an integral part of real world navigation, especially IFR, to be certain that you DO in fact have the correct navaid tuned in, AND to ensure that it's not undergoing maintenance making it essentially unusable.

+1. A lot of panel gauges do not show the nav1 or 2 identifier labels and the ILS freqs at surrounding airports can be using the same freqs for their ILS.

Of course that doesn't affect whether you're hearing the code (the ID button suppresses ALL code), and is irrelevant when you're using VORs, as the ILS is only on certain odd-numbered freqs in the lower part of the nav freq range.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It sounds (no pun) like the audio button was left on and saved from a previous plane. Just go to a plane with a known audio panel such as the default Cessna 172 and make sure all the switch, buttons, or what have you are in the off position and then change back into the plane of your choice.
http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Hey Pat, what airplane is that with that panel?

Cheers,

That's a close-up of the radios in the VC of the default Lear 45. No changes, additions, or anything like that. I don't fly this plane. First time I ever loaded it after installing FSX:SE back on the day it came out in '14.

Hope it helps a little :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Don't mess with the aircraft.cfg. you may be hearing ADF if that audio light is checked. Make sure, at the start of your flight, that only Comm1 and Marker are lighted!

Hi mrzippy or anyone else,

I cannot make the DME light go out. How do I turn it off, please?

Thank you.

Stanley

It's off on mine. By default. Did you press (click) the button?

Are you starting from a saved flight, or the sim's default flight? The hang-glider over Friday Harbour? Try that. It might work.

I seem to recall something about radio audio being on upon startup, but darned if I can find it now, of course. But it had to do with starting from a saved flight, or making a saved flight the default flight instead of the default, default flight, if that makes any sense...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the record, here are a bunch of peoples past posts and replies I saved about morse-

ANNOYING MORSE BLIPS

forum post-I had a problem with getting rid of that morse code sound even with a Piper Cub that had no nav instruments. So I started FSX with the default Cessna 172 with the navigation system turned OFF, then swithched to the Piper Cub and the morse code sound was gone.

-----

reply-Don't turn on any of the audios that have Morse Code sounds like NAV1, NAV2, ADF, or DME.

-----

reply-It sounds like (no pun!) you have accidentally tripped the independent DME ident on one of your nav receivers. This feature does not occur on every plane but it is annoying. DME ident is seldom used, but notice that there are DME only navaids in certain places, so they need their own ident that your VOR receivers won't pick up.

Try using CNTR+4 QUICKLY (otherwise it may trip on again). Strangely, like a few other commands, this is not in the OPTIONS\CONTROLS\BUTTONS and KEYS menu feature in FSX - not sure about FS9.

There are customization choices for key assignments for:

adf #1 or 2 ident ON/OFF

VOR #1 or #2 ident ON/OFF

You can assign key strokes to them if you want to.

I assume you do have a radio setup that has an audio panel or individual ID buttons on any VOR/ADF control head.

Yes, ILS receivers have independent frequencies and IDs for different runways -however, other airports - an appropriate distance away - can have the same frequency (but not necessarily the same ID) on one of their ILSs.

You can find the ILS frequency in MAP view, zooming in on the ILS "fan" course figure, click on it and a window will pop up which shows the Runway, frequency and ILS course along with the ILS morse code identifier (four characters instead of three).

ICAO is International Civil Aviation organization. It is a standards consensus group on how to standardize all kinds of stuff, from aircraft design, airways structure, nomenclature and tons of other stuff.

--------

reply-Each identifier is, indeed, unique. The purpose of that morse code is to identify which station you're listening to. The identifier is shown on the charts for each station, in a little box that contains the 2 or 3 letters spelled out in dots and dashes, along with the actual letters of the ident (OAK for Oakland VOR, along with --- .- -.- for example), frequency, the name of the facility, and TACAN channel, if any. There is sometimes other data, too.

In the U.S. it's the FAA ID, not ICAO, most of which were assigned long before the ICAO ID was used in the U.S. I can't speak for how other countries do it, but I suspect it's similar.

Hi everyone,

I discovered that CTRL+4 turns on/off the DME.

Stanley

That's a close-up of the radios in the VC of the default Lear 45. No changes, additions, or anything like that. I don't fly this plane. First time I ever loaded it after installing FSX:SE back on the day it came out in '14.

Hope it helps a little :)

Pat☺

Hey Pat,

Have you tried flying the Lear? I find it to be a nice compromise between a puddle jumper and a tube-liner. The Lear and the Honda Jet fly high enough and fast enough to get places. But neither has so much sophistication that they bog down the CPU or force me to reduce my scenery detail sliders. (Yes I do know about Slew mode. But to my mind that's not flying, plus you miss all the scenery!)

I've never liked to just cross my arms and watch a plane fly! (Either RW or sim.) And I can't imagine ever buying a car with so many gadgets it takes away my sense of control as many models now do. IMHO doing either one is like sitting in the back of the bus. :mad:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree with Larry! You need to know you are receiving your signals from the desired station!

IMHO: You're not simming a flight unless you're using correct procedures while changing navigation frequencies. Part of that is verifying the id code is the same as what is shown on your chart. I also double check that the pointer needle is pointing in the direction I expected. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey Pat,

Have you tried flying the Lear?

Not yet, no. Can it do aerobatics? :D

In my sim world, I fly F/A-18's, F-4's, things like that. THEY can do aerobatics, then come down for CQ's :D

Did you know most prop planes I've tried can do a overhead recovery very nicely! Of course, most of them are on the RTWR Whitelist. WWII fighters, or pursuit planes. I have done a few break turns in the C172, but it's not the same...

And aerobatics, of course. I am not one to just go from here to there. I want to have some fun on the way. Look out and say "HEY! let's land there!", do a wing-over and head down.

Or, naturally, take chopper out, maybe land on a logging platform or three. Then do the same thing: Let's land at THAT airport! Down we go. WHEEEE!!

That's my sim world. I'll give the Lear a try, though, since you recommend it :D

Have fun, or why bother?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, then, it sounds like my kinda bird! I'll give 'er a shot.

I know most of the default planes have FDE and/or cockpit (VC or 2D) upgrades. Anything I should look for for the Lear 45? I guess I could search the library, but I'm inherently lazy :D

Anyway, thanks Zip, never hurts to try a new plane out :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I heard you say it a thousand times, but what's a 'break turn'?

Is that: get some speed going, throttle to idle, bank 80-90 degrees, pull the nose thereby turning 180degrees back to where you came from while loosing a bunch of speed, then engage afterburners to prevent dropping like a stone?

Or am I way off? lol:)

Edit. I'm way off. I read 'break turn' a thousand times, but never had it fully sink in.

I was thinking 'brake turn' (notice the slightly different spelling).

As in: "slam on the brakes, turn the other way, and make like a bat ..... ....".

nevermind. :rolleyes:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Military fighters often (nearly always at a military field) make an overhead approach, which consists of starting the approach on runway heading, flying to the approach end of the runway, then making a sharp break (rapid roll to a steep bank angle and add back pressure maintaining altitude) to curve around to the downwind while lowering and extending the gear, continuing around to final. You've probably seen the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels doing it.

Here is a diagram of the approach.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

So they basically approach the runway too high, then do a 360 while descenting, and end up at the threshold that way? Did I get that right?

Sounds like a tricky maneuver!

I only went to one airshow ever. Was 8 at the time. There was an F16 parked there, but none flying.

I saw some fighters pass overhead since then, also saw some short clips from airshows on tv, but never saw the fighters landing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had missed your link. Just watched the video and saw I had that right. Come in too high, then a 360 turn, while descending, and pop out again at the threshold, this time at the correct altitude.

(and as it says there, only descend while wings level in the downwind part.)

got it, Thanks lnuss!:D

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived