Problem:FSX Addon sceneries not being found

Clarindo

After exhaustive searches, repeated frustrated attempts and increasing disappointments I must resort to this pool of expertise to discover what is wrong with either the existing configuration or some other puzzling circumstance.

Attempting to add sceneries to FSX, and after properly adding areas to the correct Addon\scenery folder I find that it will not activate and the resulting menu information is that "no items correspond to the search".

Windows Explorer and Notedpad do confirm that the .bgl files are all there, but FSX consider it to be blank or not corresponding to the search.

Having triple-checked all entries I am assuming, in my inexperienced way, that it could be that the activation attempt might be looking for .txt files or some other format instead of the .bgl that ARE there.

If that were to be the case is there any way to digitally specify that the file extensions should be .bgl or am I completly off the mark?

Any hint on how to go about solving this problem (other than just replacing me as headmaster for this project)?

OS is Windows 7 (which calls for a duly-executed mouse click on the empty part of the menu), AIRAC is updated to version 1511 and everything would appear to be correct and adequate.

Thanks for possible assistance and guidance.

Clarindo

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - RAM 8GB DDR3

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series - 3 LDE Monitors - FSX STEAM

Give an example of what scenery you downloaded and tried to install. If the README says to put the folder into the Addon Scenery folder and then initialize it using the FSX library, then that folder will usually contain a sub-folder with .bgl files and one sub-folder with texture.bmp files.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks a lot for responding Mr Zippy.

I just downloaded from the Library here fsx_blackbush_uk_expansion.zip, unzipped it and installed into Addon Scenery and later on to Addon Scenery/scenery (which seems to be the correct location). This file has both the scenery and the texture sub-folders.

In both cases attempting to activate this new area the menu at the FSX Library comes up with the blank information that "no items correspond to the search".

Sorry if I am not explaning more adequately the "problem" I am facing here. It is really puzzling to me.

Again many thanks for assisting.

Clarindo

OK I just looked at that download.

1. Your FSX should not be running when you install the 4 files to AddonScenery/Scenery folder.

2. When you start up FSX do you get the loading bar that says updating scenery files?

Do the sceneries end up on the Scenery.cfg list in FSX?

Sorry that I had missed your reply.

The Scenery.cfg lists an Addon Scenery Layer 115 but (dumb me) I cant identify what this layer is about.

Appreciate very much for your interest in helping me.

Clarindo

OK I just looked at that download.

1. Your FSX should not be running when you install the 4 files to AddonScenery/Scenery folder.

2. When you start up FSX do you get the loading bar that says updating scenery files?

I quit FSX, for insurance overwrote the .bgl files, started FSX and got the usual loading bar but - imagine my frustation! - the .bgl added files are nowhere to be found, just that monotous, nerving menu info about the search not finding the corresponding files.

Guess I should stop bothering you all with this problem, at least for the time being. Many, many thanks for dedicating precious time trying to assist.

It would seem to me that this might have something to do with (notwithstanding my repeated searches, double and tri-checks) a) wrong address, b)wrong file extension name, c)hidden files. Just a layman's shot at it even though all these assumptions have been "carefully" examined.

Clarindo

What "Search" for the files are you doing? If you manually placed the 4 files into AddonScenery/Scenery folder the that's where the files are! .

DO NOT use the search function when looking for that airport! Start FSX and go to EGHD, Plymouth, UK. Don't try searching for BlackBush.

Your problem isn't related to the one in this thread is it?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?205432-Windows-7-Scenery-Addon-Installation-Bug-Fix

I run Win 7 and this was the issue.

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the file and unpacked it. I copied the two bgl files into the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, then started FSX. The message box about adding new scenery to the database popped up. After load was complete, I selected Blackbushe and a parking spot, and there it was, a completely new Blackbushe airport.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the file and unpacked it. I copied the two bgl files into the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, then started FSX. The message box about adding new scenery to the database popped up. After load was complete, I selected Blackbushe and a parking spot, and there it was, a completely new Blackbushe airport.

+1 Good find on that, Sir!

Blackbushe.JPG

I must thank all of you (Mr Zippy, Sford, copperpen) for joining in the effort to assist me on this.

Have not yet solved my problem - probably the addon.bgl file I am trying to add will have to be replaced.

Have downloaded and unzipped Blackbushe, followed this thread instructions and it installed and was activated alright!

So Blackbushe is on, my desired airport "ain't yet".

Thanks again, my friends.

Clarindo

Thanks copperpen for joining the effort.

The desired airport is Brazilian SBCT (Curitiba - Afonso Pena Intl) which I did not mention because of expected limited interest in this international environment.

Have a good day and again my thanks for the interest.

Clarindo

FYI! I landed at EGLK and loved it as mentioned below. But I am using FTX EU ENGLAND. I can't comment on other software.

+1 Good find on that, Sir!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183821[/ATTACH]

I just landed at Blackbushe. It's right before sunset and beautiful just now! Not having been in Blighty in Fall and winter for several years, I'd forgotten how early the sun sets there!

I bet it's a perfect night for the little Goblins to be out and about! BTW: IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO YET, WATCH THE HAUNTING What a great multimedia compilation.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The desired airport is Brazilian SBCT (Curitiba - Afonso Pena Intl) which I did not mention because of expected limited interest in this international environment.

Have a good day and again my thanks for the interest.

The only scenery for SBCT was for FS2004, which I'm going to try. Will let you know if it works!

It works just fine!

SBCT default FSX

SBCT default.JPG

Updated

SBCT 1.JPG

SBCT 2.JPG

SBCT 3.JPG

Looks like our posts crossed. I was asking about an FSX version, if that is what the OP is trying to install.

Could not locate FSX version. The only one I found was for FS2004. Clarindo needs to be more specific with what he's trying.

The only scenery for SBCT was for FS2004, which I'm going to try. Will let you know if it works!

It works just fine!

SBCT default FSX

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183832[/ATTACH]

Updated

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183835[/ATTACH]

I went to SBCT with the included FSX software. I own no South American add on software. But the views I got with stock FSX are almost identical, maybe identical, to what you show here.

Thanks again to all of you for the outstanding assistance I got.

Sorry that I failed to be specific in spelling out FSX as the desired program (while assuming that either a FS9 or FSX add-on file would serve).

This failure of mine was spread all over my postings:

Yesterday 2:03 pm "Attempting to add sceneries to FSX"

Yesterday 3:16 pm "The menu at the FSX library"

Yesterday 4:08 pm "started FSX"

Realize now it should have been emphasized in the subject title and never as just part of a text paragraph. Sorry.

Will keep working on this continuing problem which obviously only exists in my own configuration and system.

Since I am trying different add-on attempts will now try FS2004 sbct_curitiba.zip from this library.

Should emphasize that in attempting add-on procedures I am not using or trying any "search" at all. It is just that the corresponding FSX menu responds to clicks on the scenery subfolder with blank where the .bgl files should be and the information in portuguese that "search did not find corresponding files".

Best of all, and many thanks.

Clarindo

Thanks again to all of you for the outstanding assistance I got.

Sorry that I failed to be specific in spelling out FSX as the desired program (while assuming that either a FS9 or FSX add-on file would serve).

This failure of mine was spread all over my postings:

Yesterday 2:03 pm "Attempting to add sceneries to FSX"

Yesterday 3:16 pm "The menu at the FSX library"

Yesterday 4:08 pm "started FSX"

Realize now it should have been emphasized in the subject title and never as just part of a text paragraph. Sorry.

Will keep working on this continuing problem which obviously only exists in my own configuration and system.

Since I am trying different add-on attempts will now try FS2004 sbct_curitiba.zip from this library.

Should emphasize that in attempting add-on procedures I am not using or trying any "search" at all. It is just that the corresponding FSX menu responds to clicks on the scenery subfolder with blank where the .bgl files should be and the information in portuguese that "search did not find corresponding files".

Best of all, and many thanks.

:confused::confused::rolleyes: And I'm still sober! So far.

Archived