New F/A-18C/D versions released today!

PhantomTweak

OK! I finally downloaded the base package, the C model. That is impressive now let me see if I can get the D.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry unfreaking believable! I am only sixty years old now so just how in the heck do I download this using this zippy deal? Gees... Tried three times come up with an empty folder. What happened to the old way?

When you click on the link that Pat provided a couple of posts above (the words RIGHT HERE in his post) it will open a Google Docs page. At the top right of the page you will see three (or four) symbols depending if you are logged in to Google at the time. Most importantly there is a downward facing arrow with an underline. This is the download button. Left click on that down arrow with your mouse. This will cause a new browser page to open which tells you that due to the size of the file, it can't be scanned by Google's antivirus software. You should also see a blue rectangular button that says Download Anyway. Left click that button with your mouse. This will cause a dialog box to open at the bottom of your browser window asking you if you want to open or save the file with the button choices of Open, Save with a down arrow and Cancel. If you left click on the down arrow near the Save button you can then choose Save, Save As or Save and Open. If you select Save As, you will get a file window to open and you can choose where to put the .exe installer file. If you choose Save, it will download it to your downloads folder which is located in your user folder generally on your C:\Users\\Downloads and you can move it or run it from there. Choose Save As, it is much easier to deal with knowing where you put the file that way.

Latest update:

The newest, greatest version is v16.1 now. You can download it RIGHT HERE.

Make sure FSX is NOT running!

Download the self-installer and unzip it to a temp folder of some sort. Run the installer, and select the loadout(S) you might want. Training, A-A, Blue Angels, etc. You will have to install the Base version, which it will do automatically, but after that, whatever loadout you desire.

Tell it where your \FSX folder is located.

Once it starts installing, just let it run. It will automatically install the correct Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, if you don't already have it installed and running. It may seem, during this part of the install, that it has frozen, or locked up. It hasn't. Just let it run until it's done. It takes a little while sometimes. Take a break, get a cuppa coffee, whatever.

Start up FSX and have fun!

Talon90: Use AICarriers.NET. The trouble with the ship you're using is that it's just a static scenery object. Landable, yes, but not what you want. AND an FPS eater, as you found. I can explain about using AICarriers, and where to DL the latest, .NET Framework version, if you want.

To add just that much more realism, download, install, and run vLSO along with AICarriers.NET. Those AI LSOs hate me, for some reason... :D

Have fun guys!

Pat☺

I thought this was the link but cannot figure it out.

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/v0lcKrVW/file.html

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I thought this was the link but cannot figure it out.

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/v0lcKrVW/file.html

This is the page that you want to end up on to download the file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view

I have no idea what zippyshare is.

Click the link I provided above (which is the same page that Pat links under the RIGHT HERE in bold on his post above) then follow the instructions I wrote.

I have that part very nice to the Blue Angles lok as real as the ones I saw last Sept here in Reno. What I am trying to get now is the two seat model D. I wanted the Rio out of it.

Mike G.

I have that part very nice to the Blue Angles lok as real as the ones I saw last Sept here in Reno. What I am trying to get now is the two seat model D. I wanted the Rio out of it.

The two seat D model clean variant is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZQ2ctY2pta1hCUzA/view

The Two seat D model training variant is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVlIwb2FpeGNiTzQ/view

The C model version v16.1 zip is the updated (from v15.1) files (cfg and air file). Aparently the v15.1 files were not the best FDEs (flight dynamics edits, ie: cfg and air files) when it comes to panel or even handling. So you should get the v16.1 files and use those (cfg and air files) with your D model for best results. We can help you with that. Come on back and we will help. Oh, I am 76 yrs old so age is no excuse. Not really. It's just new to you perhaps. But not imposible. There is only one 'right' way to install. Flying it is another matter and that will take practice. Also do-able. Hang in there. Be cool (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks napamule2! I do have limited experience however, I have already put together a single airplane folder for the D model using the needed files from different aircraft in the package. At first I started changing all the slave files from 15.1 to6 to 16.1 then realized that wasn't the easiest way. I didn't think though of using the 16.1 airfile and .cfg. file from the 16.1 as well. I will do that today. This is a little off topic but since we are talking about a highly detailed aircraft when testing it in my older AMD 6300 at one point it couldn't handle the textures with the video card. Now my newer build (seen in my signature) Not to bad at all but was wondering, I have 8 GB of RAM would I get better results with 16 GM of RAM?

Mike G.

Thanks napamule2! I do have limited experience however, I have already put together a single airplane folder for the D model using the needed files from different aircraft in the package. At first I started changing all the slave files from 15.1 to6 to 16.1 then realized that wasn't the easiest way. I didn't think though of using the 16.1 airfile and .cfg. file from the 16.1 as well. I will do that today. This is a little off topic but since we are talking about a highly detailed aircraft when testing it in my older AMD 6300 at one point it couldn't handle the textures with the video card. Now my newer build (seen in my signature) Not to bad at all but was wondering, I have 8 GB of RAM would I get better results with 16 GM of RAM?

FSX can use at most 4GB of RAM, so more won't help the sim.

The C model version v16.1 zip is the updated (from v15.1) files (cfg and air file). Aparently the v15.1 files were not the best FDEs (flight dynamics edits, ie: cfg and air files) when it comes to panel or even handling. So you should get the v16.1 files and use those (cfg and air files) with your D model for best results. We can help you with that. Come on back and we will help. Oh, I am 76 yrs old so age is no excuse. Not really. It's just new to you perhaps. But not imposible. There is only one 'right' way to install. Flying it is another matter and that will take practice. Also do-able. Hang in there. Be cool (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

I know which air files to use for the D model but which aircraft.cfg file should I use? I am guessing the Blue Angels 16.1 aircraft cfg. I have the entire 16.1 download.

Mike G.

To make life a lot easier, make sure that you permit it to install the v16.1 Base loadout, and probably the Blue Angels folder (loadout) too, into your \Simobjects\airplanes folder. That way, if the Blue Angels aircraft.cfg calls on a model, panel, sound, whatever, the Base folder has them all. It was designed that way, with all the commonly used files for all the different loadouts in the Base folder, and only the files unique to a loadout in it's own folder.

I may have mentioned this before, also, but make sure you let it install the Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015 if it needs to. Critical for the FCS to function properly.

Aircraft.cfg, .air files, textures unique to that particular aircraft, like textures for the bombs or missiles, things like that, go into the individual loadout folders. Saves a lot of HD space if nothing else, because all the "common" files aren't repeated over and over.

Also, if you notice, the Base folder has a sort of abbreviated aircraft.cfg with two sections in it. The [Hornet FCS] section is critical for the FCS to function correctly (or at all, really). Without it, you will get an error message when the plane first loads in.

Personally, and this is just my personal preference, I mostly fly the Training, and Clean, loadouts. Once I get decent at really flying those correctly, I'll go on to maybe an A-G load, or A-A, to see how those do :) Mostly the CQ's are my weakness, so it's those I work on the most. But the v16.1 is a really enjoyable plane to fly, in anything I want to do. The AI LSO's can be real jerks, but other than that... :D

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Oh yes, I am with you on that Sgt. To make things interesting I have the Enterprise installed in my ai carriers and added the TACAN RFN gauges installed as well. The aircraft launches with acceleration beautifully and lading of course is how skilled one might be or as in my case most of the time very lucky. I have brushed up on my boy scout swimming lessons as well. Ha! One more thing I had a lot of trouble with the Refueling gauge window when I modified all the models over to three screens for some reason but today I finally stumbled on the correct window size and position. I will probably add the cop-30 control panel to one as well to try it out, the isa more forgiving set of gauges to use landing on a carrier but you do not need an acceleration carrier to land on the stationary carriers I have with AI aircraft coming and going

Mike G.

I just downloaded and installed this aircraft. I am missing something in my understanding of it. I have no issues with the Sludge F/A-18 in carrier landings So something in my cockpit settings on this model is impacting its stability. It begins a rudder waffle at slower speeds (under 170) and I lose all stability in roll. The rudder begins a rapid back and forth and the only way to stop it is to engage the autopilot which doesn't enhance carrier landings at all. Can anyone educate me on what I may have done to cause it? Is there some auto switch I need to disengage? Thanks.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Not sure but sounds like you might need to calibrate your control system.

Mike G.

I don't know about other planes, but the FSX BA Hornet doesn't need any add-ons for CQ's, or launches for that matter. It does both beautifully. Try using Javier's Nimitz v2. Great carrier for launching/landing. It's in the library here. I can see if I can find if you want, and post a link. The RFN stuff I have never used. The HUD finds the carriers fine for me :)

I don't see the need for the COP-3 stuff in this plane, but I guess if you want it in...

Finally, make sure you add this line to your FSX.cfg, [REALISM] section:

CatapultForceLimiter=0 //Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft. It helps.

It begins a rudder waffle at slower speeds (under 170) and I lose all stability in roll.

First and foremost: You ARE using the v16.1, yes? Not the v15.6, I hope. I know the v15.6 had the rudder waggle problem. It was the PID controllers settings in the [Hornet FCS] section of the aircraft.cfg. I can't remember exactly which settings, and what changes to them, it took to fix the problem. It's been almost a year since I worked on the [Hornet FCS] settings of the v15.6.

Do you set FLAPS FULL when going that slow? Bear in mind that the FLAPS switch in the VC is eye-candy alone. You need to use the key-combo's the FSX has by default, or program joystick buttons for them.

You don't have the SPIN RECOVERY switch on, do you? Or the Master Arm switch ON? Or A-A mode on the HUD Control panel? They all disable the FCS program and the plane doesn't fly very well that way at all. You can use the SPIN Recovery as a handy FCS reset switch though. If you think the FCS has gotten off track, confused, or whatever, switch the SPIN RECOVERY switch ON then OFF, and the FCS will clear and reset. Very handy after a spin, since they seem to mess up the FCS. Good for recovery from one too, if nothing else works.

So you get a green bar just below the sim's menu bar, when the plane loads in, about the HUD or FCS?

As Mike said, are you sure of your control calibrations?

One thing you can try is to add the following line to the FSX.CFG file, [CONTROLS] section:

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

It made a noticable difference in mine...

Just to prove it works: Here's a picture of the slowest I've gone in the Hornet. It's the v16.1. Notice the airspeed is 65 kts. This was tonight. I had full aileron authority, and no rudder waggle when I was chugging along at an AOA of 35 or so. If I let it go any slower, the nose fell through, but down to 65 KIAS it was fine. A little mushy, but fine.

ScreenHunter_2234 Feb. 08 23.03_A.jpg

Hope this helps :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I only experiment with the COP since using it FS9 like I said it isn't as realistic and the RFN is just a nice effect and you can change the Language for the call outs. I have switched the 15.6 air file and aircraft.cfg to the 16.1. I haven't had any issues with the tail wag but I am going to try adding the stick sensitivity line as you suggested to see the difference.

Mike G.

Question, I have downloaded one of the files for this aircraft, FA-18C_FSXBA2014 FLT15.2 at least that is the name of the main folder but inside it has an update folder containing a new fleet.panel. Curious as to what it is for.

Mike G.

I'm not sure where you got that file, but that Fleet panel is totally out of date. The v16.1 includes the latest and greatest panel. Mainly, it's the HUD they made some changes to, to make it more accurate to the real one, and make it more compatible with TacPac. Also, they've made some changes to the HUD Control Panel (shft+2). The took out the color selection (it's there, but doesn't do anything), made the Cage button functional, and made the weapons "stuff", up at the very top, compatible with TacPac.

Also, they made some improvements to a lot of the VC cockpit .bmps. Makes them look a lot crisper and clearer. Makes some of the indicator lights look a lot better, too.

Back when that file first came out, it WAS a big improvement. Now, it's a huge step backward.

I have switched the 15.6 air file and aircraft.cfg to the 16.1.

Make sure you include the [Hornet FCS] from the v16.1 Base folder's aircraft.cfg file in the v16.1 aircraft.cfg, or the FCS won't work.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I used the base aircraft. cfg but not sure now. I think I used the Blue Angels for that. I used the FA-18_16.1_flt.air and now that you brought it to my attention I am going back and redoing the Panel to be sure.

Mike G.

Okay. I did a search on the tail wag in the forum and this discussion came up. I jumped on to ask my question without determining the forum header. I was in the P3d simulator, not FSX. My bad. Still, I got some good info but it didn't solve the problem for me. Turns out it works perfectly in FSX (I went back and installed it to that simulator.) I was unable to get it to function in the P3D (v3.4). Tried two controllers to see if that would matter. No joy. Tried recalibrating. No joy. Tried a few tweaks. No joy. I even uninstalled it and deleted all the folders in case there was a left over from long ago. No joy. I installed it into the P3d with the P3d box checked. I also installed it into P3D with the FSX box checked. No joy. Bummer too as my P3D is a much prettier sim atm. I will go to the P3d Forum and see if there is any solution. I like the aircraft. A tad better than the sludge flight model and functionality. Guess for now I will fly it in FSX. :) and the sludge in P3D. I have the aircraft carriers installed in both.

Thanks everyone who weighed in and gave all the info. I apologize for wasting anyone's time here.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Never a waste of my time to learn and maybe help someone here. Anytime a question is asked is just important as on answered in my book. So you think P3D is nicer then FSX I have yet to purchase it

Mike G.

To make life a lot easier, make sure that you permit it to install the v16.1 Base loadout, and probably the Blue Angels folder (loadout) too, into your \Simobjects\airplanes folder. That way, if the Blue Angels aircraft.cfg calls on a model, panel, sound, whatever, the Base folder has them all. It was designed that way, with all the commonly used files for all the different loadouts in the Base folder, and only the files unique to a loadout in it's own folder.

I may have mentioned this before, also, but make sure you let it install the Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015 if it needs to. Critical for the FCS to function properly.

Aircraft.cfg, .air files, textures unique to that particular aircraft, like textures for the bombs or missiles, things like that, go into the individual loadout folders. Saves a lot of HD space if nothing else, because all the "common" files aren't repeated over and over.

Also, if you notice, the Base folder has a sort of abbreviated aircraft.cfg with two sections in it. The [Hornet FCS] section is critical for the FCS to function correctly (or at all, really). Without it, you will get an error message when the plane first loads in.

Personally, and this is just my personal preference, I mostly fly the Training, and Clean, loadouts. Once I get decent at really flying those correctly, I'll go on to maybe an A-G load, or A-A, to see how those do :) Mostly the CQ's are my weakness, so it's those I work on the most. But the v16.1 is a really enjoyable plane to fly, in anything I want to do. The AI LSO's can be real jerks, but other than that... :D

Does that help?

Pat☺

I was going back over my work and found the Base. aircraft.cfg only had two entries, the turbine engine section {which matched} and this section that wasn't in my cfg file

[HornetFCS]

CStar=4.50,0.55,0

PitchRateScalar=0.115

GForceScalar=2.0

AoAScalar=0.75

Sideslip=75,75.01,10.0

Aileron=1.50,.5,0

LevelFlight=0.25,.32,0

HighAoAScalar=.25

ThrottleCruise=10,1,0

ThrottleApproach=20,2,0

What does it do and should I add it somewhere?

Mike G.

Never a waste of my time to learn and maybe help someone here. Anytime a question is asked is just important as on answered in my book. So you think P3D is nicer then FSX I have yet to purchase it

Thanks for that.

The P3d v3 well worth the purchase in my opinion. It runs a bit smoother on my rig than the FSX and I like the eye candy better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

I was going back over my work and found the Base. aircraft.cfg only had two entries, the turbine engine section {which matched} and this section that wasn't in my cfg file

[HornetFCS]

CStar=4.50,0.55,0

PitchRateScalar=0.115

GForceScalar=2.0

AoAScalar=0.75

Sideslip=75,75.01,10.0

Aileron=1.50,.5,0

LevelFlight=0.25,.32,0

HighAoAScalar=.25

ThrottleCruise=10,1,0

ThrottleApproach=20,2,0

What does it do and should I add it somewhere?

THAT are the FCS's PID controller settings. If you're using the v16.1 aircraft.cfg and .air files, I hope like mad you're using Hornet_FCS.dll that the v16.1 installed. It, along with the .air and aircraft.cfg files are what makes this plane so special. It's unique in the flight sim world. You may have to move the Hornet_FCS,dll file over to your v15.6 plane. It goes in the Panel folder, whether it's Panel.BA, .Fleet, or whatever, presuming you're using the v16.1 panel, which I strongly recommend. It's up-to-date, and state-of-the-art, compared to the v15.6 panel.

Can you combine the two to make a RIO cockpit, I have no idea. I don't like being the GIB. But there is a thread on the FSDT forums, and I believe it has to do with just what you want. It's THIS THREAD. Read through it, it may help.

By the way, I am almost certain the v16.1 works fine in P3D v3

Hope this answers your question...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very informative , thank you!!

Mike G.

Archived