New F/A-18C/D versions released today!

PhantomTweak

Guys: Just so I understand what unzip program is essential to extract files for this new F18. I've used winzip forever it seems but, from what I'm reading here the ideal extract program for this AC should be 7zip not winzip, is that correct? Winzip will not recognize files packed as ending in .7z?

Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the right click and Open With will not work. Winzip displays an icon with NO NAME or PATH. Just now tried it. Did nto work. You can get 7zip free. Takes a minute to install. I did it yesterday and it worked good on the 7z files. In fact I made a short video showing how I land the F18. Link:

I find this version is very touchy as far as airleons (you come in 'rocking and a rolling' on approach). You can use elevator and it will want to stay at that angle (up or down). It will not level itself so it you hand fly you have to be careful to monitor altitude change(s). The Oswald is too high (0.7) and should be (0.6 or less).The flaps doesn't have enough drag. The spoiler doesn't have enough drag. I'm a drag (hehe).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

No the right click and Open With will not work. Winzip displays an icon with NO NAME or PATH. Just now tried it. Did nto work. You can get 7zip free. Takes a minute to install. I did it yesterday and it worked good on the 7z files. In fact I made a short video showing how I land the F18. Link:

And I just tried it again myself and it worked fine with the latest version of WinZip, along with double clicking the file. What version of WinZip are you using? All versions from 12 on support 7z files.

Aha! I got Version 12.1. Maybe 7 yrs old? I am paid up so I'll have to go download and 'update' if available. Latest version is 19.1 so I might have to pay something to get the 'latest and the greatest' (NOT! -just kidding). I will use 7zip if I need to use that.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

At the risk of appearing nooby, as I have been out of the loop a couple years, I am clueless about this new f-18. When I unpacked it, I expected all the parts I used to find in an aircraft add-on. Not so here. No effects, gauges or the normal start to an aircraft.cfg file. Does this have a solo player version as this appears to be multiplayer in some environment I'm not familiar with? Educate me please? Thanks

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Installing the training version is required. I think that is explained on the page with the download. The other versions make use of files from the training version, by using .cfg files that alias to that version.

You will also need to make a small edit to get the sound to work. Is explained below in this thread here, post #6 and onward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you download and install the v15.6 from page 62 of the thread? If so, did you install the Training Loadout? You need the Training loadout for any of the others to work properly, even the BA, or Blue Angels version to work. Each load-out, such as A-A, A-G, whatever, has it's own folder, but they all utilize the Training load-out's folder, for the Panel, the .air file, textures, and so on. This saves a lot of HD space, yet permits each to have their own aircraft.cfg file, so you, the user, don't have to keep changing the Fuel and Payload page of the plane to get the right weights/MOI's and so on.

No effects, gauges or the normal start to an aircraft.cfg file.
The gauges you need are all located in the Panel.Fleet folder, in the FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training folder, or for the BA plane, the Panel.BA folder. All the effects are in the FA-18C_FSXBA2015 15.6 Training folder, and do need to be placed into you FSX Effects folder. Each load-out has it's own aircraft.cfg file, though.

Also, as mentioned by Mr. Orion in a post lower down the page, you need to DL and install the latest Visual C++. If you want/need, I can put up the links to both things over here.

It really is a plane that flies better than any other plane on the net due to the Flight Control System, or FCS Jimi and Orion have made. It is unique in the Sim world, as far as I know, and it comes as close to duplicating the way the real F/A-18's FCS functions. It is stable, yet agile, and the engines have the power and thrust they should, not too much, not too little. A really amazingly well made aircraft. If you like fighters this plane is really for you.

I know, I tend to gush about it too much, but I am amazed by it. It has been created for the FSX Blue Angels demo team, and they want the best. They're getting it.

This is the team, as a side note, that were instrumental in designing the original F/A-18 for FSX Acceleration when it first came out, and they've been making it better ever since.

Does all this babbling answer your questions adequately?

I hope so :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Quote: 'Installing the training version is required. I think...'

Not if you take the required 'parts' and 'assemble' them yourself. That is what I did. I used my own panel. You can copy the contents of the 'texture' folder and add (copy) (overwrite) with texture 'set' of version you want (so you won't need the texture.cfg).

Quote: '..small edit to get the sound to work'

I used the sound from a F-18 and thus did not have any 'alias' problem. (Use my head).

Since I did not uset their panel, I did not use the FCS system or need their effects or gauges, so I am flying it without the FCS. I fixed the AP as it had a roll occillation when Heading Hold was used. It lands on carrier at 130 kts (33 % Power) with NO pitch trim required. Makes a '3 point' landing on #3 wire every time. This is the easiest F-18 I ever landed on the moving carrier - bar none. Will make video.

Chuck B

In preparation for downloading files for the new FA18, do folks usually add or insert a folder such as example pictured below. Then add separate subfolders for the FA18 trainer and FA18 Clean. Not sure how all the subfolders should appear and in what order. Thanks for assistance on this. Ron

FSX foldertopdowna.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

Both Peazip and/or 7z keep asking for a password to extract the F-18 files...

Really? Mine never does. Are you sure you DL'd the right files? I am trying to figure out why yours asks for a PW and no one else's does...

Since I did not uset their panel, I did not use the FCS system or need their effects or gauges, so I am flying it without the FCS. I fixed the AP as it had a roll occillation when Heading Hold was used. It lands on carrier at 130 kts (33 % Power) with NO pitch trim required
Then what's the point? The biggest change to this plane IS the FCS, which is about as close to the real thing as it gets. But hey, it's your game to use as you like :D

Makes a '3 point' landing on #3 wire every time. This is the easiest F-18 I ever landed on the moving carrier - bar none.
Carrier jets are supposed to hit tail-hook first, then the mains (if/when the hook grabs) then the nose last. 3-point landings are not for carriers. if a jet (in the real world) hit mains first, the hook would skip, and probably miss the wires, every time. Again, yours do do as you wish with :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I just wanted to make one more comment from the peanut gallery. Not only do i like the pilot animations of this plane, turn left, look left. I really like the heads up display showing gear position, saves me one step of panning to outdoor view to check that gear is down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Pat,

You said: 'Carrier jets are supposed to hit tail-hook first, then the mains...'

Are you SURE about that. The tail hook is spring loaded, isn't it? It don't pivot and/or 'dangle' where it could be bouncing around. That don't seem right to me. It 'scrapes' the deck when you land, don't it?

Chuck B

Tailhooks are on a pivot. They can move up and down, and although they are spring-loaded down, it's not a very strong spring, relatively. The hook will "blow" up if they go fast enough. It's a standard emergency procedure to get the hook up if it won't retract (hydraulically).

And yes, I am positive, the length of the hook is just right so that, if everything (in an F/A-18) is just perfect, to wit: 8.1° AOA, about 700fpm sink, about 135KIAS, about 30-35 WOD, and under 33,000lbs gross weight, the hook will hit about 1/2 way between the 2&3 wires, and the mains will then pass over the 3 wire. Just as the hook engages the 3 wire, the mains should hit. The spring load will hold the hook on the deck to keep it from skipping (hopefully) over the wire, so it engages the first "pennant" it comes to. But if you watch, once it has hold of a wire, it goes almost straight out behind the plane, rising relatively freely.

Please see this link: http://vfa-113.com/. Click on the TRAIN tab, upper area, and the Approach tab under that.

This is the key JPG, IMO, though: The second one down. I am having some kind of problem uploading pictures...

Note the AOA, and where the hook is relative to the gear and the deck, as well as the Mains height relative to the deck, and the "perfect" impact area for the hook, marked in green.

The end of the hook, that actually goes under the wire,and scoops it into the hook's "holding area" has a limited number of landings before requiring replacement, as the bottom gets sharpened by grinding on the deck surface. Winds up sharp as a knife, so it can cut, rather than hook, the wires. And eventually, the curved portion is worn away entirely, if for some reason it doesn't get replaced at the right time, so that if it catches a wire, it will tear off the bottom of the hook.

If you like, I can post relavent quotes from the NATOPS.

Does all this answer your question adequately? I know, I ramble sometimes...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
Hello all!

Just a quick note: "Jimi" Hendricks and Team have JUST today released their latest version of the F/A-18C/D models. Version 15.6, completely revamping the FDE, and the FCS system, which is now utilizing PID controller logic. It is as close (according to the Beta Testers, some of whom are real-world F/A-18 pilots), as a plane has ever come to the real world FCS system of the F/A-18C/D.

I tried a pre-release, Beta version, of it, and I am stunned. The 15.2 version, and the NH version, were amazingly well done, but this plane is now light-years, nay PARSECS better. I cannot overstate the amount this new version is improved.

I cannot think of ways to thank Jimi, Orion, and the rest for this any more than I have already.

There are several different configurations available such as Air-Air, Air-Ground, and so on, but you must have the Training configuration installed, as the others depend on it for panel, sound, textures, and so on. It was a way to save HD space, rather than having 7 or 8 complete and different aircraft.

To download, go to this post: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146

If you don't have it already you will also need to download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Just thought you F/A-18 fans might like to know...

Pat☺

Can't find a download. Can you give me more info for the F/A-18C/D models. Version 15.6

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

USB,

Been at 'Super Bowl' all day so just now saw this old post. When you click on the link in post (ie: http://www.fsdreamteam) it will take you to the 'FSD' site and you have to scroll down a few posts to find the link to the files. They are at Google Drive. The main file ('training') is 498 mb. So it takes 30 min for me to download. On that post you also have the links to the other files you need. A 'blue angel' model / paint. A 'clean' model / paint. When you get to Google Drive it will say 'too large to ck for virus'. Ignore that. Click on 'download anyway'. On the page for the other files you get a dark page. On the upper right is an arrow (pointing down and underlined). It is the 'download' icon. You will have 3 tabs open. Just 'X' 2 and you are back to tab with links. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

Watched the game as well, pretty wild!

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Not sure what may be wrong on my end but I downloaded all of the variations in the links provided and flight tested the training variant yesterday. Total disaster, it was a complete slideshow.

By the time I was in sight (about 2 miles north of the carrier (Freeware Eisenhower in the gulf south of Jim D's Pensacola NAS) my flight turned in to a 5 fps slideshow and only got worse from there.

My system is pretty robust (i7-4770, NVidia GTX-1070, 32GB ram) and I don't have any issues with even the VRS F18 or Dino's T-45, F-14 or S-3 or Payware A4 or T2 Buckeye and I'm a strong 30 fps with the Carenado T-34 and Iris T-6.

Latest update:

The newest, greatest version is v16.1 now. You can download it RIGHT HERE.

Make sure FSX is NOT running!

Download the self-installer and unzip it to a temp folder of some sort. Run the installer, and select the loadout(S) you might want. Training, A-A, Blue Angels, etc. You will have to install the Base version, which it will do automatically, but after that, whatever loadout you desire.

Tell it where your \FSX folder is located.

Once it starts installing, just let it run. It will automatically install the correct Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, if you don't already have it installed and running. It may seem, during this part of the install, that it has frozen, or locked up. It hasn't. Just let it run until it's done. It takes a little while sometimes. Take a break, get a cuppa coffee, whatever.

Start up FSX and have fun!

Talon90: Use AICarriers.NET. The trouble with the ship you're using is that it's just a static scenery object. Landable, yes, but not what you want. AND an FPS eater, as you found. I can explain about using AICarriers, and where to DL the latest, .NET Framework version, if you want.

To add just that much more realism, download, install, and run vLSO along with AICarriers.NET. Those AI LSOs hate me, for some reason... :D

Have fun guys!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Latest update:

The newest, greatest version is v16.1 now. You can download it RIGHT HERE.

Make sure FSX is NOT running!

Download the self-installer and unzip it to a temp folder of some sort. Run the installer, and select the loadout(S) you might want. Training, A-A, Blue Angels, etc. You will have to install the Base version, which it will do automatically, but after that, whatever loadout you desire.

Tell it where your \FSX folder is located.

Once it starts installing, just let it run. It will automatically install the correct Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, if you don't already have it installed and running. It may seem, during this part of the install, that it has frozen, or locked up. It hasn't. Just let it run until it's done. It takes a little while sometimes. Take a break, get a cuppa coffee, whatever.

Start up FSX and have fun!

Talon90: Use AICarriers.NET. The trouble with the ship you're using is that it's just a static scenery object. Landable, yes, but not what you want. AND an FPS eater, as you found. I can explain about using AICarriers, and where to DL the latest, .NET Framework version, if you want.

To add just that much more realism, download, install, and run vLSO along with AICarriers.NET. Those AI LSOs hate me, for some reason... :D

Have fun guys!

Pat☺

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply. I also use AICarriers.net currently (as opposed to the .exe version) and already run vLSO and have for quite some time. The issue I am seeing is specific to FSXBA FA-18 and not the carrier scenery as far as I can tell. I can run it with VRS F-18 and all the others I mentioned in my post with my sim locked at 30 frames without even a falter (not to be confused with a bolter, LOL). However, when I went out to the boat with the FSXBA bird I slammed to a crawl. I love AICarriers and use them a lot but when I want a quick immersive test, I take off from the active at KPNA and fly to the boat for a quick CQ. Sometimes having to menu drop the AIC boat is a bit of an immersion killer and yet other times If I'm going to be around the boat a while and bouncing or keeping up currency with an LSO for a few cycles I don't seem to mind. Who knows what goes on in my steel trap of a noggin, LOL.

I'll give the latest version a go and see if that does anything for my frames. Likely on my end but can't figure out why it is only with one plane if it isn't a specific issue for me with that specific plane.

Sorry unfreaking believable! I am only sixty years old now so just how in the heck do I download this using this zippy deal? Gees... Tried three times come up with an empty folder. What happened to the old way?

Mike G.

Archived