Parking at the corresponding gate

TheRedBadger

Hello again,

This is a minor annoyance that I've always just dealt with, but I wonder if there's a solution to it.

Usually when flying into airport A with airline X, I land and there are plenty of gates available for airplanes with the parking code X (such as when arriving at a hub). I usually however, get assigned to a gate for airline Y, even though there is enough space available for my plane type, and my plane is typically a narrow-body.

Except one time, I was assigned a gate specifically for my type; an erj135 for Midwest connect, and few gates are specified for such combination. This happens everytime I arrive at this airport, yet when I land a 717 at Milwaukee, I don't get assigned a Midwest gate; I get assigned a gate for se ither airline, even when there is plenty of space available for my type.

So what's causing this? My aircraft.cfg has the right entries in the atc_parking. My plane probably isn't too big for those gates, or I'd always get the biggest gate.

Again, it's a minor annoyance that I can live with, but I welcome some solutions so I don't have to "gate-hunt", lol.

TRB

Carlos Si

In your aircraft.cfg under the appropriate [Fltsim.xx] add the lines:

atc_parking_types=GATE(leave out any option for ramp, cargo, or military)

atc_parking_codes=(here put the appropriate airline ICAO code)

as an example here is mine for a Southwest 737.

[fltsim.0]

title=Boeing 737-800 Southwest Airlines

sim=OSBoeing737-800w

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=swn

atc_id=N925WN

atc_airline=Southwest

atc_flight_number=

atc_heavy=0

atc_parking_types=GATE

atc_parking_codes=SWA

ui_manufacturer=Boeing

ui_type=737-800

ui_variation=Southwest

visual_damage=1

description=Boeing 737-800 - Blended Winglet\nVersion - Beta v0.8\n\nModel Designer\n Hiroshi Igami\n\nFlight Dynamics\/Sound Designer\n Warren C. Daniel\n\nMaster Texture Designer\n Tom Harlaar\n\nTest Pilots\n Project Opensky Members\n\nMaximun Range: \n 3,383 nautical miles

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In your aircraft.cfg under the appropriate [Fltsim.xx] add the lines:

atc_parking_types=GATE(leave out any option for ramp, cargo, or military)

atc_parking_codes=(here put the appropriate airline ICAO code)

as an example here is mine for a Southwest 737.

[fltsim.0]

title=Boeing 737-800 Southwest Airlines

sim=OSBoeing737-800w

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=swn

atc_id=N925WN

atc_airline=Southwest

atc_flight_number=

atc_heavy=0

atc_parking_types=GATE

atc_parking_codes=SWA

ui_manufacturer=Boeing

ui_type=737-800

ui_variation=Southwest

visual_damage=1

description=Boeing 737-800 - Blended Winglet\nVersion - Beta v0.8\n\nModel Designer\n Hiroshi Igami\n\nFlight Dynamics\/Sound Designer\n Warren C. Daniel\n\nMaster Texture Designer\n Tom Harlaar\n\nTest Pilots\n Project Opensky Members\n\nMaximun Range: \n 3,383 nautical miles

Yup, I have this for the 717 I use.

[fltsim.0]

title=HJG Boeing 717-200 Delta Air Lines 2013

sim=B717-200

model=01

panel=

sound=

texture=delta

description=HJG Boeing 717-200 repaint by Jim CAMPISI

kb_checklists=

atc_id=N935AT

atc_airline=DELTA

atc_flight_number=712

atc_heavy=0

atc_parking_codes=DAL

atc_parking_types=GATE

ui_manufacturer=Boeing

ui_type=717-200

ui_variation=Delta Air Lines (2013)

ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner

ui_createdby=Historic Jetliners Group

My ERJ135LR seems to always get the right spot though. Here's its code:

[fltsim.0]

title=Project Opensky - Embraer 135 Midwest Connect

sim=OSERJ135LR

model=

panel=

sound=a

texture=

atc_heavy=0

atc_airline=SkyWest

atc_flight_number=8842

atc_parking_types=RAMP, GATE

atc_parking_code=MEPX

ui_manufacturer=Embraer

ui_type=ERJ-135

ui_variation=Midwest Connect

atc_id=N836RP

visual_damage=1

description=Project Opensky \nEmbraer Regional Jet - 135 ER\nVersion 2007.9.3\n\nFSX and FS2004 Compatible\n\nEngine Type: Rolls-Royce AE3007A1\n\nModel Designer\n Nick Wilkinson - Exterior\n Jacob Kubique - VC\n\nFlight Dynamics Designer\n Warren C. Daniel\n Brandon Henry\n\nTexture Designer \n Samy Fay (Masters)\n Jacob Kubique and Corey Ford (VC)\n\n Scheme\n Samy Fay\n\nTest Pilots\n Project Opensky Members

Carlos Si

I believe the sim only uses parking info from the CFG file for AI use. I have found that ATC follows the gate order of that particular airport. If I want to have ATC assign me to specific gates I open up the airport with AFCAD, go to Lists, then parking. Move the gates you would rather park at to the top of the list and save it. ATC then seems to send you to those gates as long as they are empty. It may be a coincidence but I have used this method with great success for years.

Your ERJ is lucky then. Your line "atc_parking_code=MEPX" is having no effect in the sim because the "s" is missing after "code"

If it had no effect, why did it work? I guess it is probably a coincidence, plus the size of the ERJ may have precluded it from going to any larger gate.. which is probably the reason, actually.

I believe the sim only uses parking info from the CFG file for AI use. I have found that ATC follows the gate order of that particular airport. If I want to have ATC assign me to specific gates I open up the airport with AFCAD, go to Lists, then parking. Move the gates you would rather park at to the top of the list and save it. ATC then seems to send you to those gates as long as they are empty. It may be a coincidence but I have used this method with great success for years.

Gate order, you say? I'll give this a shot, although I'll want a different gate at certain airports depending on the airline I'm flying.

Arigato.

TRB

Carlos Si

The entry atc_parking_code+ is for AI only, as has already been said. It has no effect on the player aircraft.

Player aircraft go to the first available space of the nearest size to the aircraft in the order they are listed in the A&FD file. Getting to the right gate is pure luck unless you start faffing around with gate sizes in the A&FD file which is a lot of work.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I reserve one space for myself at my destination before launching FS, it's part of my flight planning process. I'm flying small GA at the moment, the default parking size (in meters) is 10m. In AFCAD2 I have already set my aircraft size to 9.5m, and in the aircraft.cfg I have set the parking type to RAMP and the parking code to G000 (default GA single engine code). All I need to do in any A&FD file is set the parking code to G000 and change the parking diameter of my chosen space to 9.5m in ADE, and ATC sends me to that spot (which is always empty) every time from now on.

Thanks to OPA for that solution, btw.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The entry atc_parking_code+ is for AI only, as has already been said. It has no effect on the player aircraft.

Player aircraft go to the first available space of the nearest size to the aircraft in the order they are listed in the A&FD file. Getting to the right gate is pure luck unless you start faffing around with gate sizes in the A&FD file which is a lot of work.

John

Well that's a bummer. Did the people making the sim not think that the player himself might want to end up with other aircraft of the same airline and type :confused: ? Apparently not.

... Wait, so can regular aircraft be used to fly AI flight plans then?

I reserve one space for myself at my destination before launching FS, it's part of my flight planning process. I'm flying small GA at the moment, the default parking size (in meters) is 10m. In AFCAD2 I have already set my aircraft size to 9.5m, and in the aircraft.cfg I have set the parking type to RAMP and the parking code to G000 (default GA single engine code). All I need to do in any A&FD file is set the parking code to G000 and change the parking diameter of my chosen space to 9.5m in ADE, and ATC sends me to that spot (which is always empty) every time from now on.

Thanks to OPA for that solution, btw.

Yeah I'll probably either do that, or just go park wherever I feel like :p .

Thanks!

TRB

Carlos Si

Well that's a bummer. Did the people making the sim not think that the player himself might want to end up with other aircraft of the same airline and type :confused: ? Apparently not.

... Wait, so can regular aircraft be used to fly AI flight plans then?

Remember this is an extremely old game we are choosing to hang onto. Things have moved on a long way in the world but if you appreciate that this was only the second version of FS to have ATC and responsive AI it was pretty good for a 2003 product. If you want a game with 2015-style standards you are in the wrong place.

The gate allocation feature was provided in the game as an innovative idea although it wasn't implemented in a standard install. We use it as best we can with all the extras we pile on top.

Any aircraft can be assigned to an AI flight plan, the default aircraft (which for legal reasons do not represent any real airline) as supplied were used for both. Depending on available resources, too many detailed add-on "regular" aircraft used as AI may affect performance as each AI aircraft has to load individually. Some add-ons have complex features built in that over-ride the standard auto-pilot etc causing them to not fly correctly as AI, e.g. they will not turn when instructed by ATC.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hello again,

This is a minor annoyance that I've always just dealt with, but I wonder if there's a solution to it.

Usually when flying into airport A with airline X, I land and there are plenty of gates available for airplanes with the parking code X (such as when arriving at a hub). I usually however, get assigned to a gate for airline Y, even though there is enough space available for my plane type, and my plane is typically a narrow-body.

Except one time, I was assigned a gate specifically for my type; an erj135 for Midwest connect, and few gates are specified for such combination. This happens everytime I arrive at this airport, yet when I land a 717 at Milwaukee, I don't get assigned a Midwest gate; I get assigned a gate for se ither airline, even when there is plenty of space available for my type.

So what's causing this? My aircraft.cfg has the right entries in the atc_parking. My plane probably isn't too big for those gates, or I'd always get the biggest gate.

Again, it's a minor annoyance that I can live with, but I welcome some solutions so I don't have to "gate-hunt", lol.

TRB

You need to download from the Library the Tips and Tricks tutorial VIP parking.

FS2004 Creating VIP Parking

Name: vp_park.zip

Date: 07-27-2008

Author: David "Opa" Marshall

This tutorial will show you how to make your plane park in the correct parking spot

Archived