New to Flight Simulators: Which One Should I Start With?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get into flight simulators and could use some help choosing the best one to start with. 🛫 I've heard a lot about Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane, but I'm not sure which one would be better for a beginner like me. I'm interested in realistic flying experiences and would love something with great graphics and a variety of aircraft to choose from.

Any advice or recommendations? What do you guys think is the best flight simulator out there for someone just starting? 🤔 Thanks in advance!

• Founder

I don't think you'll get any agreement on what sim is the "best", just a bunch of opinions.

Either X-Plane or MSFS offer the features you are looking for, so you really can't go wrong with either of them. Just make sure you have a computer with enough power to be capable of running them well, i.e. well more than the shown minimum specs.

A major point is X-Plane does not require an internet connection, MSFS does (around 20meg minimum, 50 recommended).

Currently X-Plane seems to have more variety of aircraft, but MSFS has more impressive scenery.

It's like buying a new car, any will get you from point A to point B with the same traffic and parking issues;  so you consider your other priorities.

If you want to give MSFS a try, you can sign up for the Xbox PC Game Pass trial for $1 for 14 days. This will give you access to the base edition of the sim. If you decide to go with MSFS, you can cancel the subscription and buy the sim outright.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/game-pass/CFQ7TTC0KGQ8?rpid=9NLV3X229LG1

Note that while there is a boxed edition of MSFS, it doesn't remove the need for an online connection and will still require you to download every update since the discs were printed. Best to stick to the MS Store or Steam online stores.

On 5/16/2024 at 3:54 PM, Nels_Anderson said:

I don't think you'll get any agreement on what sim is the "best", just a bunch of opinions.

Either X-Plane or MSFS offer the features you are looking for, so you really can't go wrong with either of them. Just make sure you have a computer with enough power to be capable of running them well, i.e. well more than the shown minimum specs.

Given that both simulators offer strong realism and graphics, I’m leaning a bit towards MSFS for its incredibly detailed world simulation. However, I’ve heard that X-Plane might offer better flight dynamics. From your experience, do you find one of them to have a more intuitive learning curve for newcomers, or should I just dive into either and learn as I go?

• Like 1

I'd recommend going with X-Plane for your flight sim. It's very realistic and highly customizable, which gives you a lot of freedom to experiment and enhance your experience. Plus, it works great on both Mac and Windows. I've been using it and think it could be a good fit for you too.

Yes, I've tried MSFS as well. It's impressive, especially with its graphics and world detail. But I find X-Plane's flight dynamics and customization options a bit more robust, which is why I lean towards it.

I also tried DofReality. Not bad stuff.

It's a bit much to explain in detail here, but you can check it out online for more info. In short, DofReality is a company that makes motion simulators for virtual reality experiences, enhancing the realism of gaming, flight, and racing simulations.

Don't forget P3D!  Like All the Microsoft products before they caved to X-Box, P3D can be used without going on line or even having an internet connection.  It also uses the same control inputs as all the older Microsoft versions.  No need to learn another control system!

All the ORBX and most other add on scenery or aircraft you choose to buy or download for free for various products over decades will work fine with P3D.  Though of course they won't work with the new sim!

Like most other flight sims not called 2020 or later, P3D also allows multiple screen viewsing etc.  And did I mention, you don't have to live through having your computer tied up for hour upon hour of online "updates." Nor must you be a Beta Tester (or is it now called Charlie Tester) as is expected with 2020!

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, Sweetd31 said:

Honestly id go fsx until 2024 comes out, due to scores of free payware and you can work on learning in that game

I mostly agree.  Having said that, the X-Box spin off, 2020, and I assume 2024, use totally different control inputs to comply with X-Box, than what most have considered the norm for decades.  You'd have to relearn all you do to go to the newer Microsoft products.

But then again, I don't think you'll want to fool with the new Microsoft stuff anyway. 🫠

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

Like most other flight sims not called 2020 or later, P3D also allows multiple screen viewsing etc.

MSFS does allow for multiple screens.

1. Your computer IS NOT tied up for hour upon hour of online "updates."

2. You can set up controllers and key commands exactly like they are in FS04, FSX, P3D, or X plane.

3. If you are going to post stuff, please make sure it's accurate. No, what you posted are not opinions.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

1 hour ago, JSkorna said:

You can set up controllers and key commands exactly like they are in FS04, FSX, P3D, or X plane.

There is seriously no key binding in 2020?

4 hours ago, Rupert said:

use totally different control inputs to comply with X-Box,

I was afraid of that... some xbone games are keyboard and mouse compatible and/or a perfect opportunity for MS to promote selling "zims" (XIMS). 

2 minutes ago, Sweetd31 said:

There is seriously no key binding in 2020?

I was afraid of that... some xbone games are keyboard and mouse compatible and/or a perfect opportunity for MS to promote selling "zims" (XIMS). 

There is a default key binding in MSFS, it's just different than previous MS sims. You can re-map all of the controls as you see fit, including to match other sims if you want.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rupert said:

How??

Haven't tried it myself, and it may have changed over the last year or two, but there are YouTube videos covering it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

How??

1. You need to own MSFS.

2.  Go to General Options/Experimental and click on Add New Render Window.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png