[ Club Chachapoya ] Rotorhead

Concerning hovering and pedal turns.

Never rush these actions.

When I lift into a hover it can take 30 or more seconds to obtain the stable 5ft hover.

Power (collective) application is as slow as I can possibly make it happen.

I'm constantly scanning for, and correcting, the slightest undesired movement.

Also, with any pedal turn, again, don't rush.

A 360deg turn may take one or two minutes.

Speed is never the goal in helicopter flying, it is smoothness and precision.

You may even find that your airplane flying improves due to your new skill of strong scan and smooth corrective control application.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

56 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Concerning hovering and pedal turns.

Never rush these actions.

When I lift into a hover it can take 30 or more seconds to obtain the stable 5ft hover.

Power (collective) application is as slow as I can possibly make it happen.

I'm constantly scanning for, and correcting, the slightest undesired movement.

Also, with and pedal turn, again, don't rush.

A 360deg turn may take one or two minutes.

Speed is never the goal in helicopter flying, it is smoothness and precision.

You may even find that your airplane flying improves due to your new skill of strong scan and smooth corrective control application.

+1!  Especially the last sentence, which I highlighted in the quote.  Anticipating the need for control input and doing it smoothly rather than reacting is key to every great flight experience, regardless of aircraft type or design. 

BTW:  The same rule applies whether flying, biking, yachting, or operating any other device.      

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The oil rig scenery file isn't on my current laptop, but I have two more lying about and my desktop machine to check too.

For sure it's on the desktop machine, and that died some years ago, but the drives are still there and I could probably get at them somehow. 

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting concept for the CH-47;

"AURORA, Colorado—Piasecki Aircraft says an updated version of long-running concept studies of a radically modified Boeing CH-47 Chinook combining the helicopter’s existing twin-rotor system with a tiltwing and twin tilting ducted fans has become more relevant with the U.S. Army’s growing drive for longer range troop transport and logistics support."

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/piasecki-refreshes-hybrid-chinook-concept

hybridchinook_small.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 12:08 PM, Macroburst said:

"AURORA, Colorado—Piasecki Aircraft says an updated version of long-running concept studies of a radically modified Boeing CH-47 Chinook combining the helicopter’s existing twin-rotor system with a tiltwing and twin tilting ducted fans has become more relevant with the U.S. Army’s growing drive for longer range troop transport and logistics support."

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/aircraft-propulsion/piasecki-refreshes-hybrid-chinook-concept

hybridchinook_small.jpg

OMG!! 

what an interesting concept!  Having said that, my first concern is based on the rotor blades going super-sonic and self-destructing.  At 100% RPM the blade tips of most chopper rotor blades are already near going supersonic.  So the added forward speed from the pusher props could really be a hazard.

Perhaps using the wing for lift while moving forward would allow the rotor speed to be hugely reduced.  Otherwise I see a huge blade destruct issue there.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:47 AM, MAD1 said:

Apologies (not really) for a 'left field' post, see thread 'Meigs or Bust'

No apologies needed, many positive responses were made concerning space related issues,

Not sure why comment on this in a Rotorhead thread. 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:53 AM, Bossspecops said:

The oil rig scenery file isn't on my current laptop, but I have two more lying about and my desktop machine to check too.

For sure it's on the desktop machine, and that died some years ago, but the drives are still there and I could probably get at them somehow. 

Buy an External Hard Drive Reader with a USB port.  Pull the old hard drive/s out, put one in the reader, plug the reader into your current computer's USB port, you can choose to either save info to your current hard drive or leave it where it is and access it with the reader to save or retrieve data as you wish.  It will work fine either way, though read or write response time is not as fast as when using a true internal hard drive.

• Like 1

I've already got all those bits thanks, what I can't do is FIND the darn file yet. 🫤

On 5/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, Macroburst said:

Boeing test flew a CH-47 with  those large rotor off-loading wings quite a while ago. It didn't have the add-on pushers though. 

Regards

Kit

On 5/1/2024 at 10:08 AM, Macroburst said:

hybridchinook_small.jpg

And Johnson McConnell comes full circle... 🙄

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Johnson McConnell

Yes, this agreement was one of the best ever done in DOD. And unfortunately the US Army still treats aviation. artillery, armor, and infantry the same way; "Combat Arms" i.e. individual weapons.

The Army has no place wanting extensive long haul aviation logistical capability.

That is the job of USAF.

In theater rapid relocation, yes.

phrog x 2.jpg

On 5/5/2024 at 11:40 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Yes, this agreement was one of the best ever done in DOD. And unfortunately the US Army still treats aviation. artillery, armor, and infantry the same way; "Combat Arms" i.e. individual weapons.

The Army has no place wanting extensive long haul aviation logistical capability.

That is the job of USAF.

In theater rapid relocation, yes.

The soviets got one big thing right- combined arms units that roll small mech infantry, armor, artillery, and attack aviation units under one combined arms brigade. Didn't help in Afghanistan but it was a fantastic concept for conventional warfare that recognized how each individual combat arm relies on the others.

A question... Helicopters generally fly 500-1000 feet above Structures or Populated areas as per Flight Regs, correct?

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG