[ Club Chachapoya ] Meigs Or Bust

ScottishMike

20 hours ago, MAD1 said:

is the correct glide path 2 white, 2 red?

Here is my stab at the answer.  2 white 2 red is (usually) a 3 degree glide slope.  That is generally recommended.  But the PAPI (precision approach path indicator) is just an aid to help you determine how your flight path compares to the optimal glide slope as you approach the runway.  When I was landing Cessnas I would check the PAPI and sometimes make some height adjustments further out, but the closer I got to the actual runway the less I looked at the PAPI.  Once I was sure to make the runway my focus was on the runway and the round out and flare process and not the PAPI at all.  Commercial pilots might stay perfectly on the glide slope all the way to touchdown, but in my Cessna that was rarely the case.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:41 AM, MAD1 said:

Newbie question (also to show that someone is reading posts in detail). ScottishMike, your final into Narsarsuaq, Greenland, is that normal to be low, 4 red lights? As someone who has yet to learn how to use that navaid, is the correct glide path 2 white, 2 red?

I once had the undeniable privilege of being on the flightdeck of a BA 767 while landing at Milan Linate Airport, pre 9/11 of course. The Captain flew a full Cat III autolanding to demonstrate the procedure for his quite new First Officer, and I noted that the aircraft was quite low according to the PAPI lights. I mentioned this when we parked at the gate and the Captain said he reckoned the people who did the auto-land software didn't know about PAPI lights. 🙂 But he also said it never failed and flared nicely at the right time.

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

I've met up with Tim Bowlachilli, in a bar in downtown Chicago. Says he's onto something, that he's got a nose for these things, he reckons there's various affairs, capers, afoot with all these flyers arriving. He's been told it's simply for an inaugural General Meeting to form a flying nostalgia fraternity, but something's fishy. Could be just a front for something else. Hmmmm ....

press1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

As someone who has yet to learn how to use that navaid, is the correct glide path 2 white, 2 red?

image.thumb.jpeg.3ba879de3d4826d6bc625a4f00b9c0e6.jpeg

For this airport, the PAPI glide slope is 3.5 degrees.

image.thumb.jpeg.197c70513be378ad17819178ead28351.jpeg

Greenland information can be found here...

https://aim.naviair.dk/

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

White on White - Check Your Height.

Red on White - You're all Right.

Red on Red - You're Dead.

One thing with the OLS (The Ball)... you'll also have "Paddles" (the LSO or Landing Signal Officer) giving you Visual cues as you approach the Deck to Trap; this is IRL, of course. In the Sim, all you have is The Ball.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 3/31/2024 at 5:21 PM, TomPenDragon said:

What a great topic sentence for a story.  And yeah, such a sad reality.  I don't know about you other retirees, but I've never been happier.  My wife reminded me of something this morning: We passed our seven-year anniversary in our current house back in March.  It seems like we just moved in.  In a couple of weeks, she's going to notch another decade under her belt.  This summer's going to be 40 years for us.

Just yesterday...

GOOD ON YOU BOTH!!  Molly just turned 80.  I will do the same in a few months as well.  Which also means we will have been married 50 years at that time.  I remember marrying when I was thirty because after all, my life was pretty much over by then anyway. 😜

• Like 2
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

23 hours ago, taoftedal said:

The C-195 Businessliner fit the criteria and with my sectionals in hand I was off to the windy city!

MM_1.jpg.0e32c8fc85f03c7f05b144be75c7893d.jpg

A very classy aircraft.  🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

GOOD ON YOU BOTH!!  Molly just turned 80.  I will do the same in a few months as well.  Which also means we will have been married 50 years at that time.  I remember marrying when I was thirty because after all, my life was pretty much over by then anyway. 😜

Wow - Congratulations, you two!!  And Happy Birthday to you both!  How's Molly doing, Michael?

18 minutes ago, JSMR said:

So I'm trying to work out what we need to choose from. So Meigs field or....bust? As in breasts? 
So we choose either Meigs or breasts?  

OK, I choose boobies. 

Now what happens? 

Well, I guess the whole idea of a home field just went ti... (don't want to get into any more trouble than I already am).

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JSMR said:

So I'm trying to work out what we need to choose from. So Meigs field or....bust? As in breasts? 
So we choose either Meigs or breasts?  

OK, I choose boobies. 

Now what happens? 

20 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

Well, I guess the whole idea of a home field just went ti... (don't want to get into any more trouble than I already am).

Really, guys?

It's "Mammalian Protruberances".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

59 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

Wow - Congratulations, you two!!  And Happy Birthday to you both!  How's Molly doing, Michael?

She's coming along!  Still trouble walking after her knee replacement that didn't go well.  Plus some other issues probably age related.  But then we all have those.  So neither of us can really complain!

Thanks for remembering and asking!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

3 minutes ago, Rupert said:

She's coming along!  Still trouble walking after her knee replacement that didn't go well.  Plus some other issues probably age related.  But then we all have those.  So neither of us can really complain!

Thanks for remembering and asking!

Michael

We short-timers keep you in our thoughts every day.  We're glad to hear you're both okay despite the knee problems; hopefully, those will ease somewhat with time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Plus some other issues probably age related.  But then we all have those.  So neither of us can really complain!

Many of us can definitely relate, and have you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

Semper Fi Brother

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

What I know about helicopters would fit in a thimble (with plenty of space left over), but at the risk of having my ignorance corrected by people who know what they're talking about, let me field this one:

It's all about strength, according to something I read over at HoverControl.  It takes more strength to operate the cyclic than it does the collective (or maybe it's the other way around, anyway, the stick you grab with your right hand takes more strength than the stick you grab with your left, so I've heard).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

What I know about helicopters would fit in a thimble (with plenty of space left over), but at the risk of having my ignorance corrected by people who know what they're talking about, let me field this one:

It's all about strength, according to something I read over at HoverControl.  It takes more strength to operate the cyclic than it does the collective (or maybe it's the other way around, anyway, the stick you grab with your right hand takes more strength than the stick you grab with your left, so I've heard).

Right handedness... Honest! For most folks, they're right handed or right hand dominant, so the Controls are aimed towards that. However, some helicopters like the Hughes/MD 500 series also had a Collective on the left side so it could be piloted from the Left Seat. Makes it a challenge for me 'cause I'm left hand/eye dominant... 😋

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 3/31/2024 at 7:03 PM, MAD1 said:

(Clearly a Radio Chachapoya opportunity, i.e. not the script, but an actual audio recording, no, just thinking, not suggesting anyone do it.)

This is a great idea, MAD1!  I don't have the first idea of the technical aspects of making/editing a recording made to computer, and I don't think that the final file can be posted here in anything but a .zip (lousy actor, too), but if others who have more talent than I are also interested, let's try to take this somewhere.

Hanger 2 - History ... lunch break at the Annual Meeting so I though it may be nice to share a few slides of past events while we're here at Meigs.  In my memory folder I have many more but the committee has only given me 15 minutes ... so ... apologies to any I may have missed.  Here's the show!

PA_28.jpg.f4fd4668bde682d56bf34fe21032edc4.jpg

Chipmunk.jpg.022968ba70b2aee5be44f689b5886aab.jpg

BeechModel17.jpg.9a22d40e1f8b7e7fda89d6321b26b269.jpg

PP_2.jpg.cde9b325f2c1b3a8d45161a78ae0799f.jpg

dh_dove.jpeg.bf931a81820d61e1cb3c3978c3b5ca53.jpeg

Fury_4.jpg.31edae4ad6a48107f0028bd62b4a457c.jpg

Waconda.thumb.jpg.980a456787702260ca038a7b89cf62ad.jpg

Mooney.jpg.ac1ffd0874b3dfc95609aefb6d3cb140.jpg

Sunrise_2.jpg.7b8f0fa1b9f88020b13b783450477e16.jpg

Bishop.jpg.15bcd92cd732b0952a6882ca6081961e.jpg

P_51.thumb.jpg.0ab63124c7a84221dce40bbc598894d0.jpg

Lysander.jpg.0ac225489d4fe77394dae4e336836b58.jpg