RIP Ingenuity...

9 hours ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

I'm still in awe at how they worked out the dynamics at whatever the atmospheric pressure is on mars...I guess these rocket scientists really are quite bright.

Also I love how NASA publishes so much information on their work

https://www.nasa.gov/?search=ingenuity

The folks at NASA have inspired many breakthroughs and innovations; Solid State and Integrated Circuits, highly robust Rovers and Space Probes, Space Food Sticks, Tang, and Cheeseburger-in-a-Toothpaste Tube (eww)...

For the Record, today's Astro/Cosmonauts don't really eat that fake "Space Food" junk that's sold on Amazon and blabbed about on YT by paid Influencers...

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 1/29/2024 at 2:03 AM, ViperPilot2 said:

The folks at NASA have inspired many breakthroughs and innovations; Solid State and Integrated Circuits, highly robust Rovers and Space Probes, Space Food Sticks, Tang, and Cheeseburger-in-a-Toothpaste Tube (eww)...

For the Record, today's Astro/Cosmonauts don't really eat that fake "Space Food" junk that's sold on Amazon and blabbed about on YT by paid Influencers...

Now if they'd just come up with a process that fairly tracks electric vehicle miles driven on our road system.  By collecting the National Highway Users Tax fees similar to what internal combustion vehicles pay, they might help repair our sad public road systems worldwide.

Electric vehicles, which gross out on average 25% to 30% by class more than I.C. vehicles, currently are paying nothing except for an occasional toll fees to use our roads..  Our current NHTSA taxes based upon gallons of fuel bought in the US, weren't even keeping up with repair costs before the EVS started getting a free ride!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

17 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Now if they'd just come up with a process that fairly tracks electric vehicle miles driven on our road system.  By collecting the National Highway Users Tax fees similar to what internal combustion vehicles pay, they might help repair our sad public road systems worldwide.

Electric vehicles, which gross out on average 25% to 30% by class more than I.C. vehicles, currently are paying nothing except for an occasional toll fees to use our roads..  Our current NHTSA taxes based upon gallons of fuel bought in the US, weren't even keeping up with repair costs before the EVS started getting a free ride!

ADS-B for EV's. The Technology is there; putting it into place is a whole other thing entirely.

The EV concept in the US is suffering from a case of Technological, Logistical and Societal Dyslexia; for every benefit that EV's offer, there are as many if not more forces conspiring to diminish those same benefits and in some cases squash said benefits.

Until EV Charging Stations are as prevalent and available in this Country as there are ATM's, for the Consumer they will still be a niche market. It seems with the 'Legacy' Automakers both reducing full EV numbers (Ford) and switching back to Hybrid production (GM), said Automakers are still wedded to Oil & Gas.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

56 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Now if they'd just come up with a process that fairly tracks electric vehicle miles driven on our road system. 

Such as .... an odometer.

27 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Until EV Charging Stations are as prevalent and available

Regardless of tax incentives or legislation, electric vehicles are not going to gain popularity in this country until they offer the speed, range, and convenience of gasoline vehicles.  An average car with a full tank of gas is good for 500-600 miles (at "normal" speeds) then it's a matter of five minutes to refuel and you're back on the road.  Electric vehicles at the same speed have at best half that range then take hours to recharge;  the simplest solution would be to standardize the battery pack, so all cars use the same style battery, then have "battery stations" as numerous as gas stations are now;  you drive in and it's a matter of five minutes to replace the battery pack and you're back on the road.  How likely are we to get every auto manufacturer to agree on a common style battery and how long before there would be enough battery stations around the country to make this system feasible for travel.

For the foreseeable future electric vehicles will be decent commuter cars and local delivery vans.    As for the "green" aspect of such vehicles, where will the electricity come from for all that recharging?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgf said:

Regardless of tax incentives or legislation, electric vehicles are not going to gain popularity in this country until they offer the speed, range, and convenience of gasoline vehicles.  An average car with a full tank of gas is good for 500-600 miles (at "normal" speeds) then it's a matter of five minutes to refuel and you're back on the road.  Electric vehicles at the same speed have at best half that range then take hours to recharge;  the simplest solution would be to standardize the battery pack, so all cars use the same style battery, then have "battery stations" as numerous as gas stations are now;  you drive in and it's a matter of five minutes to replace the battery pack and you're back on the road.  How likely are we to get every auto manufacturer to agree on a common style battery and how long before there would be enough battery stations around the country to make this system feasible for travel.

For the foreseeable future electric vehicles will be decent commuter cars and local delivery vans.    As for the "green" aspect of such vehicles, where will the electricity come from for all that recharging?

+100%.

Aren't Batteries each Company's Intellectual Property?

The question I always had was 'how far apart do you put Charging Stations"? That's why I said make 'em as plentiful as ATM's.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

9 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Aren't Batteries each Company's Intellectual Property?

The basic battery design isn't, the individual batteries a company develops may be.  But unless they decide on a common design, it would be like every make of automobile requiring its own gasoline now (how many pumps would a station require?).  Otherwise everyone sits around waiting for the batteries to recharge.

• Like 1

California has a bunch and these are the ones on major highways and not counting the ones inside the cities and towns.  Most EVs can recharge to 80% in 1/2 hr or less.

Coffee break time!

download.jpeg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

4 hours ago, jgf said:

An average car with a full tank of gas is good for 500-600 miles (at "normal" speeds) then it's a matter of five minutes to refuel and you're back on the road.

I can't recall a single car I've ever had that can go 500-600 miles on a single tank of gas. Where does your "average" come from? Generally I've seen 300-400 miles with some reserve before fillup. The cars with better mileage also had smaller fuel tanks.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!