The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Yes, I was a Cyclist

In my younger days I used to practically live on my bicycle.  The summer before college I put 400 miles on the bike.  No good areas to ride here where I live anymore.  Only got on the bike once after my right hip was replaced so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melo965 said:

In my younger days I used to practically live on my bicycle.  The summer before college I put 400 miles on the bike.  No good areas to ride here where I live anymore.  Only got on the bike once after my right hip was replaced so far.

Iin the early 80's I did a self supported bike tour down the West Coast with some mates before getting in the biz. Once there, it captured you like a black hole. 7 years of road racing with 4 years of downhill MTB racing mixed in and all the training that went along with it, plus 3 or 4 Century rides a year. Top it all off with a week in Moab riding the Slickrock and enjoying the Autumn, reflecting on the Season.

I rode so much it wore the meniscus out of both knees and required both of my ACL's to be re-positioned; I'm bone on bone now. That's not what has kept me from riding these days; it's the drivers. Our city is a killing field for Cyclists.

• Like 2

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Screenshot265536.jpg.042612854b8c557a9ffdceed149c5798.jpg

A little question for those scenery buffs. Did a little update with Warrnambool using ADE. Copied the scenery file into a different FS9 install but a few hangers a white - no textures (not shown here). 

I copied the scenery/texture files from the Rwy12 Library and the Static Objects Library. No difference. 
Where else could these hanger texture files come from ?

Lovely long posts from you guys flying back home from Oz, or for Sirrus, flying in Europe. Haven't had a chance to read all of it in detail. Bosss, I know of the Moulton foldup, well, the alluminium one that came out in early 80s. I was a young fella living in London then. I considered buying one but instead bought a US Dahon, still got it. Haven't been on it for a few years, but any day now ...! I bought it in London in 1988, rode it in London, took it on the aircraft to Israel (it is suitcase size), rode around the Sea of Galilee and in the Negev Desert. Ah the memories, have forgotten half of what I did and knew! Mine's blue and does have the 3 speed Sturmy-Archer gears. A great little bike.
220px-Dahon_Classic_III_drive_side_bicycle_bootiebike_com_1000.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Our city is a killing field for Cyclists.

All cities are, unless the city fathers are have a little foresight. There is not a week passes that a cyclist is injured/killed in London these days.

Amsterdam has more cycle ways than any other city I've been to, Nice has a cycle path along the Promenade D'Anglais and I noticed that cyclists in New Orleans use the tramways to avoid the traffic! 

I once saw a cyclist on Highway 192 heading West out of Kissimmee and marvelled at his bravery.

Belgium is the place to go for cycling. Every Sunday, roads are closed, and cycle clubs run their own races. If there is a collision between a car and a cyclist, then the car driver is deemed to be at fault, or so I was told.

And, MAD1, Sturmey-Archer still exists right here in the Netherlands! So, if you needed to you could order a new Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub for your bike (via your local bike shop). They do make a 5 speed hub, with an internal brake, and an eight speed hub, also with an internal brake as well as a 3 speed hub for tricycles. A walk round to my local bike shop I think.

6 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I'm bone on bone now

Not good at all, When I had my hip done, the guy in the next bed had a new knee replacement. He's now pain free and walking normally. I see him regularly at our physio class. He's now waiting to have the other one done!

And to bring the thread back to Flight Simming, I wanted a cyclist, just to explore different places, and I found this:-

image.thumb.jpeg.ec1eb545943d38eff2a203f6e4c6960d.jpeg

...and the motorized bicycle is a French built Solex 3800 with some fanciful additions. I went looking for one but they are now "collectors items" with prices to match!

As to the Curate on the bike, he looks familiar!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Yes, I was a Cyclist, and also worked in the biz for 16 years. I guess I still am; I ride to the Grocery store, and I also own a bike with 16" wheels, an old Raleigh 3 speed folder from the late 70's. One of four bikes I still have in the quiver.

I suspect that's a Moulton MK III, built under licence during that time.

Bikeablokeonabridge2017.jpg.06361d4eb265846bc1ce849a3a22f7c5.jpg

This is one of mine, and me, posed right in the centre of the Severn Bridge about 12 miles south of my place. The bike's a 1963 Moulton Safari, which I ordered from the Bike Show stand the day they announced the Moulton range to the public in 1962. It turns out mine was the first Safari they sold, and I still have it. 🙂

• Like 3

Regards

Kit

10 hours ago, jgf said:

From some other scenery library, or possibly some scenery replaced some default textures.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out where else it would've come from. Perhaps from the addon scenery - texture/scenery folders. Not sure where else to look. 
And why I never bothered to ever upload any airfields I've 'improved' as it always ends up not displaying the same. 

16 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Sirrus, having thought I had every available CH-46 in FSX, this paint scheme is a new one to me. Who's is it?

This old H-46 driver who flew 46/s  both in the US and in the Vietnam conflict with HMM 164 and HMM 165 has never seen that paint scheme on a H-46 or H-34 either.  

As bright and easy to target as that seems, I'd sure not want to fly with that paint in combat!!  😮  Give me the older dull and non-shiny faded green or even gray any day!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:53 PM, ViperPilot2 said:

Many Thanks for the Tutorial, TPD! I'll try this with the Boomerang and see how it goes.

2,700 nm in a Saratoga... that is one mean feat. Props to you (and yer Bladder!) 😋

Or to his Pilot Relief Tube.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

I suspect that's a Moulton MK III, built under licence during that time.

Bikeablokeonabridge2017.jpg.06361d4eb265846bc1ce849a3a22f7c5.jpg

This is one of mine, and me, posed right in the centre of the Severn Bridge about 12 miles south of my place. The bike's a 1963 Moulton Safari, which I ordered from the Bike Show stand the day they announced the Moulton range to the public in 1962. It turns out mine was the first Safari they sold, and I still have it. 🙂

I wish it was a Moulton! Far from it...

20230527_123101.thumb.jpg.ad0a5c3117563fb5c9246ef6c8a3799b.jpg

The Frame Pivot is completely different than the Pivot seen on Nottingham built Raleigh 'Twenty' folding bikes. Those also used 20" wheels instead for 16" wheels. Except for the S/A 3 speed hub and the Headset bearing assembly, everything else utilizes Japanese components (Alloy rims, Alloy cotterless crank, SunTour release levers), which was the main reason I bought the bike... for a whopping $60 USD. 

• Like 2

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

3 hours ago, Rupert said:

This old H-46 driver who flew 46/s  both in the US and in the Vietnam conflict with HMM 164 and HMM 165 has never seen that paint scheme on a H-46 or H-34 either.

The scheme is fictional but based on a CH-46 of HMMT-164 which carried an experimental gloss green scheme in 2015.

It is/was being lined up for a new story line for later on in the year.

4 hours ago, JSMR said:

Perhaps from the addon scenery - texture/scenery folders. Not sure where else to look. 

Backup that folder and reinstall the default from disk temporarily.  More difficult to isolate will be if something replaced default files in the main texture folder;  a giveaway is often sorting by date and look for default names with newer dates.

I've long used the Airport Environment Update package, it replaces most of the building and light textures but isn't 100% compatible with add-ons;  occasionally textures don't map properly, or flicker on approach, or the ground will be a mosaic of grass textures.  I could probably correct these issues one at a time ...but I'm insufferably lazy.

2 hours ago, Sirrus said:

The scheme is fictional but based on a CH-46 of HMMT-164

Let me rephrase, which CH-46 model is this for?

Thx

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, Sirrus said:

This is a CH-46E. 

Again, sorry for not being clear; which Sim Model?

Rory Kelly

Rory Kelly with Bob Chicilo  mods

Virtavia

Or some other model?

Just don't remember ever seeing this specific paint, so was asking which sim model of the CH-46.

I flew these for "real" for a dozen years and hold a BV-107 type rating and 2000 hours in type, so I'm quite familiar with whether it's a BV/KV-107, CH-46A, B, C, D, E, E-SRM, etc.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, jgf said:

Backup that folder and reinstall the default from disk temporarily.  More difficult to isolate will be if something replaced default files in the main texture folder;  a giveaway is often sorting by date and look for default names with newer dates.

I've long used the Airport Environment Update package, it replaces most of the building and light textures but isn't 100% compatible with add-ons;  occasionally textures don't map properly, or flicker on approach, or the ground will be a mosaic of grass textures.  I could probably correct these issues one at a time ...but I'm insufferably lazy.

Its not the default. Its some hangers I've added to a default airport using ADE.  They work and show fine in the sim. But when I copy the folder and add it into another fs9 install I have, despite having the same object library's, some textures are missing. I can't figure out where else the object textures are drawn from. 

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Just don't remember ever seeing this specific paint

The paint scheme was fictitious for a static aircraft. 

Having had the provenance of a fictitious aircraft questioned, and, in doing so ruining a story line for a future adventure, and several hours work, I am minded not to answer any more questions about this aircraft.

3 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

static aircraft.

Thanks this answered the question. Is there a link to this? 

I'll be quiet now,

phrog x 2.jpg

I'm doing more flying on my return ferry flight more than I'm reporting, but no-ones actually LIKES paperwork,. do they? 🙂

Here's my PIREP for my Leg 04 from Andi Djemma to Manila, but G-AUST is at Kansai Int in FSX at the moment. Taxiing to the runway at Andi Djemma was easy, no taxiways to follow, just head off over the grass! With full tanks the runway was only JUST long enough, and of course it was STILL raining!

Leg04-a.jpg.5b0c205b623d6b5771fefbb2225525e4.jpg

Heading out north west over Borneo I was pointing directly at the highest parts of the island, something that my FST plan didn't seem to take much notice of as I had to intervene to haul the Sealand over the first of the LARGE hills ahead of me!

Leg04-b.jpg.a7b0b2739c9fb2bbee9eec5363e6d781.jpg

It soon became apparent that at my maximum climb rate I wasn't going to clear the mountains ahead of me on that flight plan, so I orbited a few times to gain height over that valley ahead before carrying on.

Leg04-c.jpg.310c68309cc9a7af30f4c577dea8999b.jpg

Clearing Borneo to the north I headed out across the ocean toward the Phillipines and the scenery was pretty much the same for many hundreds of miles.

Leg04-d.jpg.0ba68bef3a7a3b7af2da5ccabc966845.jpg

There was one small island to cross  en route, Sulu Island, but the weather deteriorated with some heavy cloud to penetrate as I crossed it.

Leg04-e.jpg.043fc8ea75b35e1105ccb15ff42af499.jpg

The southern end of the Phillipines was also quite hilly and I'd downloaded some higher detailed terrain files before this Leg, and it was certainly worth while looking at these hills! Note that it's raining AGAIN! I should have checked those monsoon dates.....

Leg04-f.jpg.643692ba90e1d8831a7f36037bdb8304.jpg

Approaching Manila on the main island of Luzon there's a strange lake with a volcanic island in the middle, Taal Lake. Originally the island ALSO had a small lake in its centre, and that had an island in it too! Apparently there are very few of these 'tertiary islands' in the world, but this one was destroyed in an eruption some years back.

Leg04-g.jpg.9144b5d5ff240f92da261365f5ef324b.jpg

Landing at Manila Int Airport was frowned upon for a slow GA aircraft like 'Austral Rose' so I'd planned on landing at the ex-military base at Spangley, which is on a peninsula sticking out into Manila Bay. That's it in the distance in the pic below.

Leg04-h.jpg.46440e8931fe05207968b28b5ac680a0.jpg

Lining up on Spangley's runway was pretty straightforward, but some FSX clown has not only put a tree on the centre line, but some four storey buildings as well!!!!

Leg04-i.jpg.3a6230fe2edc47d9ddf5b2dd2c482dfb.jpg

Hopping over those obstacles I managed to put her down nicely on the centreline and taxied to the non-existent ramp for the night.

Leg04-j.jpg.999fbac6ab3cc5be753bec3901ea645c.jpg

I could get a ferry across to downtown Manila for the night, which was handy, and I'll be off to Okinawa as soon as I'm rested and 'Austral Rose' is re-fuelled.

• Like 3

Regards

Kit

Nice job of continuing on Kit.  I used knew some great bars in those islands decades ago.  Some of them even sold the occasional legal product!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time`-warping on, I flew my next leg the day before y'day, but I'll post it here now.

Leaving Sangley after an o'night in Manila was as easy, and as heart thumping, as arriving. They'd put even MORE buildings on the other end of the runway too! How crazy is that? 😯

Leg05-a.jpg.a66cde4cc0d182e2d05bc8fef1c79447.jpg

A direct flight plan to Kadena AFB on Okinawa, my target for today, would have taken me directly o'head Manila City, but that's a prohibited zone so I dog-legged to the west around it and over a large new maritime cargo facility.

Leg05-b.jpg.191125279fd8a62ac729000efddaea81.jpg

Passing north of the city I could turn onto the direct flight path almost directly along a ridge of large hills on Northern Luzon.

Leg05-c.jpg.5dc5ee7fa8498aebc2e2e7250667abcf.jpg

Before too long I was clear of the islands and over a LOT of nothingness before striking Okinawa some 800 nms away.

Leg05-d.jpg.1aaacb246c5a8f282b6e2f011e5b0b10.jpg

And nothingness it surely was, most of the time the view looked just like this for mile after mile.

Leg05-e.jpg.74d9e179f9accb09db2c08bf6a0b937e.jpg

Arriving within range of Kadena AFB's Approach Control I found they were amazed that I was flying an amphibian, even though it took them some time to work it out after I'd told them that 'Austral Rose' was a Shorts SA6. The conversation went a bit like this.

ATC : Er, Sierra Tango, say again aircraft type.

Me : Shorts SA6 Sealand.

Pause.

ATC : Er, right. Please confirm type is an AMPHIBIAN?

Me : Confirm that, and type certificate and crew certification are both valid for water operations.

ATC: Sierra Tango, please orbit at 1500 ft clear of approach to the west while checks are expedited.

Me : Roger that, Sierra Tango orbiting.

After a few minutes they came back to me.

ATC : Sierra Tango, the Base Commander offers you the choice of a water berth at the Officers Club Marina if you prefer a water landing.

Me: YOU BET! Er, sorry, Sierrra Tango accepts the offer with gratitude.

ATC : Roger that, continue approach west of 05L ILS and water land at your discretion. Marina is located just west of the 05L threshold.

Me: Roger Kadena, many thanks.

Leg05-f.jpg.976c17d9a96ba49fe4fb706ffdf49962.jpg

So dodging around the USN frigates moored in the bay I aimed toward the Marina area indicated

Leg05-g.jpg.2d2f0a9547875389ba63a887cc08e378.jpg

As usual my water landing was nice and simple and oh so easy compared to a conventional landing, no numbers, no centre line, and the

runway of almost infinite length etc.

Leg05-h.jpg.3a0e47c3f762d2bbf490a603f4a091da.jpg

And when I got the marina they weren't kidding! There was a special, two berth mooring left over from the time the USN operated Martin P-5M Marlins from here in the 1960s, but it was still in amazing condition. The Harbour Master treated me like royalty, saying that '.....things hadn't been the same since the 'boats had left all those years ago....'

Leg05-i.jpg.de1a82150b5113018c3f2366637f20c7.jpg

I was ushered up the steps to the hardstanding and they had a car already waiting for me to take me to the base accommodation, but AFTER I'd been welcomed by the Base Commander himself!

Looks like I could be in for a good time here, so I may be a bit late flying the next leg................ 🙂

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

2 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

Looks like I could be in for a good time here, so I may be a bit late flying the next leg................

Good for you.  Enjoy the Hospitality! 🙂

2 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

Looks like I could be in for a good time here, so I may be a bit late flying the next leg................ 🙂

Okinawa is home of Orion Beer (made in Nago). Pairs well with a world class Reuben at Five Star Deli in Chatan City.

Or if you want a traditional fare, you MUST have Okonomi-yaki..

"Oki" or "The Rock" to US Marines, this island is an absolute pearl.

https://www.orionbeer.co.jp/en/

https://okinawa.stripes.com/food-drink/taste-of-okinawa-every-day-sandwich-day-at-five-star-deli-in-chatan.html

https://www.totalokinawa.com/umanosuke-okonomiyaki-maehara/

phrog x 2.jpg