The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

Happy New Year, Everybody!!

Here is the official Entry and Timing & Scoring package for Club Chachapoya’s inaugural event for 2024, The Great Australian Air Gaggle. Much thought, study, and contemplation went into making the rules and methodology as easy for the participants as possible. When that failed, I outright stole every idea from the group that seemed to be working (Hip-hop calls it, “Sampling”). So here goes:

Entry

Deadline: 10 January, 2024

GAAGSG.thumb.jpg.290f920c23178d14b1e6ea722c47bf98.jpg

I posted a request for information on 02 Jan.. That afternoon, I developed the above, “Spotters’ Guide” (entry list), and filled it with information from, “The 2024 Australia Rally…”. I know that most of the information contained in it is inaccurate; I just wanted to get the format down. Please post here any corrections, and I will update and re-post the Guide as quickly as I can. PhrogPhlyer, I hope you do not mind me using your patch to illustrate what can be done with Team Name (it’s such a cool patch…). MAD1, I do not have a picture of an FS2002 172, so I went for another, “action shot.” Kindly substitute a picture of your aircraft when you have a chance. Everyone else who wishes to change your pictures may do so as well. And if I have missed you entirely, please post your info and I will get you onto the list.

Timing & Scoring (T&S)

For those flying a Timed modality, all I need is the ICAO code of the leg completed and the Signed Variance (“+-V”) from your flight plan, via PM to TomPenDragon. Easy-peasy. I do not need your flight plan, planned time, actual time, or even the date – although these should all be part of the PIREP that you post to the Event Thread.

The race winner will be determined by Cumulative V, sorted low-high. In the case of a tie, then the winner will be determined by earliest completion date.

The timed races may be started on any date before 29 February, 2024, however teams will incur a 1 minute non-offsettable penalty for each day that they finish late. Besides, the afterparty is going to be held on the evening of the 29th, and you don’t want to miss out on all the free food, booze for those who imbibe, and whatever. So please try to finish on time. Should a team be well advanced and run into extenuating circumstances just before the finish, post your case to the race thread and a penalty exception will be considered. Please note that any exceptions will be made at the sole discretion of the Timing & Scoring Official (TSO).

One Daily Update will be published per day, which will consist of:

• The Leaderboard

• A brief synopsis of the race since the last Update (who is where and what happened getting there, based on the PIREPs

• Interviews with those pilots and crews who wish to give one

I will explain more about the format and interviews separately.

One last note: During the course of the race, I may miss a message or two, or mistype a result, or the spreadsheet might not work as intended, or whatever else might go wrong with T&S. My apologies in advance. Please be patient and send me the correction via PM, and I will publish it in the next Daily Update.

Thanks,

Tom and Elias

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Melo965 said:

I am also crazy!  After a discussion with Kit, I have also decided to try to fly to Perth from my home airport of Bremerton Washington (KPWT) in the DHC1-B-2 Chipmunk.  Just finished retrofitting larger fuel tanks in both wings.  Tried to add a center tank instead, but the aircraft would not see it.  Also hope to have the aircraft repainted in more authentic RAAF colors.

Going to try the Alaska to Russia route to get there.  Hope to see you all on time by the 15th. 🙂

3 hours ago, jgf said:

A while back we discussed a "fly-in" with everyone going from their home airport to a common site in Australia;  looks like this is unofficially taking place.  Cool.  My old Staggerwing will be following you from KCMH.  Hope the heater works well, Siberia in January isn't exactly a vacation spot.

The insanity is contagious!  I (well, my character for this race, Elias Pacheco) am flying from Cuernavaca to Perth, with a stop in Lock Haven, PA, to pick up a souped-up Saratoga that the Skunkworks folks at Piper set me up with.  But, I'm not crazy enough to land in Russia or China, so I'm flying east.  I set off for Pennsylvania on the 1st, and took off from Tempelhof this morning, bound for Ankara.  See you all in Australia!

@TomPenDragon That's a neat bit of sleuthing!

I'll make the official submission later today. Bob, Sian and FB will be going on ahead in the C-130 to ensure the correct facilities are available. d j will be sitting in the PA-28 telling me where I'm going wrong...

If such a thing is possible ( @PhrogPhlyer ?) could I have a B&H number plate please? Or just the font for the large digits? It can go on the rear of the fuselage opposite the registration.

Cheers,

D

FWIW, my Staggerwing is a 1944 model.

"VH-BBL (c/n 6763 – ex LN-HAH, 44-67755), a Model D-17R, was built in 1944 as a UC-43 and came to Australia from Norway in 1954. Registered VH-MLC until March 1961, it became VH-BBL and spent some years with Joseph Drage at Wodonga as part of his collection.  It  later went to Airworld at Wangaratta, VIC.  It was later based in Queensland and was under restoration at Archerfield. In 2019 it was shipped to New Zealand for completion of its restoration."

Not determined if I'll fly timed or not, but will do both sections of the flight.

4 hours ago, jgf said:

My old Staggerwing will be following you from KCMH.  Hope the heater works well, Siberia in January isn't exactly a vacation spot.

You two better take Natasha along as an interpreter ...

Natasha.jpg.067e8380fd195e9f91a0f19741946f0e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomPenDragon said:

The insanity is contagious!  I (well, my character for this race, Elias Pacheco) am flying from Cuernavaca to Perth, with a stop in Lock Haven, PA, to pick up a souped-up Saratoga that the Skunkworks folks at Piper set me up with.

Why does this not surprise me ... 🙂

Sirrus... Thank you for the 411 on the DA/40/42; I sure wish I could find one of those for Nine! We're with you 1000%, and will watch your Six from above from the HICAP/Overwatch.

TPD... Awesome Cheat Sheet! Apologies for the Gaps; let me fill some of those for you:

SIM: FS9 (2004)

TEAM NAME: Team Chachapoya

PILOT/CREW: S. Hawke/D. Santini

PAX: NONE

SPONSOR: ARCHANGEL (Michael Coldsmith Briggs III)

YEAR: 1983

A/C TYPE: BELL 222A

MODEL NAME: "The Lady"

MODS: PER FILE A56-7W

TIMING MODE: SEE BELOW

INTENDED ROUTE: 1976 Australia Air Race (TIMED), Eastern Route (FF)

I also learnt Geopolitics from the aforementioned Moose and Squirrel, Roger Ramjet and Schoolhouse Rock.

P.S. If anyone knows (or has) knowledge about where I can find a DA42 for Nine I would be very Grateful... 😁

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Race number: tbc.
Entrant: defaid
Team name: None.
Pilot/crew: I'll steer. d j will tell me where to go.
Passengers: Nun. Sorry... I meant none.
Sponsors? I wish... Paid for by my Air Hauler company, which goes by the name of 'My Air Hauler company', logo on the tail.
Year: 1979 (may not be compatible with the engine but wth)
Manufacturer: Piper/Carenado
Model number: PA-28RT 201 (Non-turbo. From the aircraft.cfg: "Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 200 hp")
Model name: Arrow IV aka "Smallfry"
Tail no.: G-OTRG
Mods: Carenado's popup panels removed & replaced by Davtron chronometer, SF.260 radio stack and stock Garmin GPS 500
Timing mode: timed (though possibly just for the B&H, then go sightseeing up the east coast)
Intended route: combined B&H 1976 and Airbasil_1

port.thumb.jpg.f2654ab52c746cc487ee8b51c0e315aa.jpg

stbd.thumb.jpg.fb4cbc59de13335c59fe76c6814ff786.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

We will collectively keep you in our Thoughts and send Positive Waves to you. Here's to a successful Procedure, a full and speedy Recovery, and we will see you on the Rebound! 🙂

Couldn't say this better myself. 

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

All I know about geopolitics I learned from moose and squirrel...

Rockie & Bullwinkle were IMO a lot more up to date with RW happenings than most of the news at that time.  They certainly made it more sensible to those who don't spend all their time fretting over it!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

On 1/2/2024 at 5:55 AM, ScottishMike said:

Airtourer 115 coming to the rescue, not too sure how many aircraft it will re-fuel and you will have to get might close to engage the re-fuelling "funnel".

Airtourer115.thumb.jpg.d3e96ff51714a99c9e9efb6754bf954b.jpg

Nope Not I!!!

That looks a whole lot like the vent for a Pilot Relief Tube!! 

I guess I am spoiled flying the fast Spitfire most of the time.  The Chipmunk is really slow.  It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to fly the 283 miles from Bremerton (KPWT) to Williams Lake (CYWL) in Canada for the first leg of the journey to Perth.  Still 10,086 miles to go!

So plan B to get to Perth is in progress.  I called in a favor from my US Air Force pals.  They flew out a C-133B Cargomaster and loaded the Chipmunk inside with wings removed.  They are going to fly me to Darwin.  During the transit, me and my team will repaint the Chipmunk in more authentic RAAF colors for the Rally.

C-133BCargomaster.thumb.jpg.d1e674083e0f6b18eb2526b5182461e1.jpg

They assured me that they can make it over the trees on takeoff down that 7000 ft runway with such a light load! 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

I guess I am spoiled flying the fast Spitfire most of the time.  The Chipmunk is really slow.  It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to fly the 283 miles from Bremerton (KPWT) to Williams Lake (CYWL) in Canada for the first leg of the journey to Perth.  Still 10,086 miles to go!

So plan B to get to Perth is in progress.  I called in a favor from my US Air Force pals.  They flew out a C-133B Cargomaster and loaded the Chipmunk inside with wings removed.  They are going to fly me to Darwin.  During the transit, me and my team will repaint the Chipmunk in more authentic RAAF colors for the Rally.

C-133BCargomaster.thumb.jpg.d1e674083e0f6b18eb2526b5182461e1.jpg

They assured me that they can make it over the trees on takeoff down that 7000 ft runway with such a light load! 🙂

Always helps to have friends in (Pardon the Pun) high places!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Happy New Year, Everybody!!

Here is the official Entry and Timing & Scoring package for Club Chachapoya’s inaugural event for 2024, The Great Australian Air Gaggle. Much thought, study, and contemplation went into making the rules and methodology as easy for the participants as possible. When that failed, I outright stole every idea from the group that seemed to be working (Hip-hop calls it, “Sampling”). So here goes:

Entry

Deadline: 10 January, 2024

GAAGSG.thumb.jpg.290f920c23178d14b1e6ea722c47bf98.jpg

I posted a request for information on 02 Jan.. That afternoon, I developed the above, “Spotters’ Guide” (entry list), and filled it with information from, “The 2024 Australia Rally…”. I know that most of the information contained in it is inaccurate; I just wanted to get the format down. Please post here any corrections, and I will update and re-post the Guide as quickly as I can. PhrogPhlyer, I hope you do not mind me using your patch to illustrate what can be done with Team Name (it’s such a cool patch…). MAD1, I do not have a picture of an FS2002 172, so I went for another, “action shot.” Kindly substitute a picture of your aircraft when you have a chance. Everyone else who wishes to change your pictures may do so as well. And if I have missed you entirely, please post your info and I will get you onto the list.

Timing & Scoring (T&S)

For those flying a Timed modality, all I need is the ICAO code of the leg completed and the Signed Variance (“+-V”) from your flight plan, via PM to TomPenDragon. Easy-peasy. I do not need your flight plan, planned time, actual time, or even the date – although these should all be part of the PIREP that you post to the Event Thread.

The race winner will be determined by Cumulative V, sorted low-high. In the case of a tie, then the winner will be determined by earliest completion date.

The timed races may be started on any date before 29 February, 2024, however teams will incur a 1 minute non-offsettable penalty for each day that they finish late. Besides, the afterparty is going to be held on the evening of the 29th, and you don’t want to miss out on all the free food, booze for those who imbibe, and whatever. So please try to finish on time. Should a team be well advanced and run into extenuating circumstances just before the finish, post your case to the race thread and a penalty exception will be considered. Please note that any exceptions will be made at the sole discretion of the Timing & Scoring Official (TSO).

One Daily Update will be published per day, which will consist of:

• The Leaderboard

• A brief synopsis of the race since the last Update (who is where and what happened getting there, based on the PIREPs

• Interviews with those pilots and crews who wish to give one

I will explain more about the format and interviews separately.

One last note: During the course of the race, I may miss a message or two, or mistype a result, or the spreadsheet might not work as intended, or whatever else might go wrong with T&S. My apologies in advance. Please be patient and send me the correction via PM, and I will publish it in the next Daily Update.

Thanks,

Tom and Elias

Well done and well thought out!  I think we'll all enjoy this event!!

Michael

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Michael

It's a pleasure to have you here, Michael! 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 12/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

On 12/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, jgf said:

Here you go, Defaid.  To paint my number, I used Arial, I believe Bold, and then stretched the text box vertically to fit.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rupert said:

On behalf of all of those whose ideas I shamelessly plagiarized, I thank you.  Yes, I think that this will be a very enjoyable event!

4 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

If anyone knows (or has) knowledge about where I can find a DA42 for Nine I would be very Grateful... 😁

Eaglesoft lists one on their site ("Generation One"), http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/da42G2-9.htm  .  It seems expensive for a no-longer-supported product, especially since they offer their FSX/P3D version for a little more than half the price.