The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

On 12/31/2023 at 12:09 PM, jgf said:

It was proposed and no one objected.  We needed a group identity, lest the rest of the site decide one for us (such as "those clowns").

I like that one.

May you reach the highest heights in 2024!

Happy New Year!

Sitting atop the Iron Nipple in Colorado.

13,502 feet (don't tell the FAA, it's 2 feet higher than my Bell listed service ceiling.

image.thumb.jpeg.be6d8322b9876468b27a477a812b84ef.jpeg

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

40 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

2 feet higher than my service ceiling

Amazing.  I can't get most of my piston powered planes anywhere near their ceilings (how a non-turbo, non-pressurized, 180hp aircraft is rated as ceiling of 17k ft is beyond me).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jgf said:

Amazing.  I can't get most of my piston powered planes anywhere near their ceilings (how a non-turbo, non-pressurized, 180hp aircraft is rated as ceiling of 17k ft is beyond me).

One of the trickier things about Nine; finding a good place to cross the Rockies!

If I fly directly West of KBJC, there's a spot @ around 12K where I can transit in a 172 pretty easily, and get to the Western Slope. Down South I usually have to fly close to the CO/NM Border to cross over to the West.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

30 minutes ago, jgf said:

I'm having exactly the same problem with the Sealand, and it's meant to be supercharged! Try as I may the model tops out at around 7000 ft, and the real thing's mean to have reached twice that. 

Regards

Kit

16 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

One of the trickier things about Nine; finding a good place to cross the Rockies!

Something that was definitely fixed in FSX. In the New Years screenshot, I could even hover and then climb higher. MS really did a bit of fiction with the default aircraft, they set the cfg to 20,000' service ceiling. THAT is not realistic.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

23 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

I'm having exactly the same problem with the Sealand, and it's meant to be supercharged! Try as I may the model tops out at around 7000 ft, and the real thing's mean to have reached twice that. 

Have you checked the engine specs in  the cfg file?  Max and min MP and/or critical altitude may need tweaking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Something that was definitely fixed in FSX. In the New Years screenshot, I could even hover and then climb higher. MS really did a bit of fiction with the default aircraft, they set the cfg to 20,000' service ceiling. THAT is not realistic.

Lol, I first encountered this lunacy years ago.  The Baron is supposed to have a ceiling of around 18k ft.,  I got it to about 16k at full throttle, with maybe 15mp, nose in the air, and a few knots above stall.

But real life specs for some of these aircraft are the same;  the Bonanza A35 is listed for 17k ft., the Staggerwing for 21K.  Neither is pressurized, though the Staggerwing is supercharged.  Did they give some poor pilot an oxygen bottle and instructions to see how high the plane could go?

On 12/30/2023 at 5:57 PM, Bossspecops said:

The Sealand's about sorted now, I can't quite get the performance out of it that the Wiki page talks about, but it's close. The irritating pitch instability is now eased a bit, and it lands and takes-off on water or land quite well. It's also sits a little higher in the water too, which can't be bad.

So I give you G-AUST 'Austral Rose', Albion Airline's entry in the 2024 All Australia Rally. 🙂 

G-AUSTWiP-b.jpg.9d509f64ed24622ef1a467ac5a2e7a74.jpg

That's taken at Jandakot (OPJT) with the Orbx and OZx scenery package in FSX, and there's a quite a lot of AI traffic there too.

Nice tub!  And yes, I'm a big fan of ORBX for OZ as well.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

19 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

For the purposes of our Rally, I'll hereby decree that YCAG CAN be used as a Fuel Stop if the Participant requires it.

Just pretend there were fuel trucks waiting.  (That's how they did the New York - Nome flight.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

For me it fits on the knee-board better.

I always hated how FS2004 had fits whenever using the kneeboard or map, can't just pop them up, must go back to the desktop (so you suspect a CTD) then display the board or map, then bring the sim back up behind that.  (And I still wonder why the default map couldn't have been full screen.)

terra1.jpg.11140bcf0391131bc45226c3de92cf9f.jpg

terra2.jpg.6f8d8970b7cbe3eb23b46e62d03baf9e.jpg

terra3.jpg.bfd802159114e28dcaeb3f4001620ba1.jpg

If anyone does want to make a stop at Caiguna, would this suit? Very simple: a dirt strip, a shack and a few fuel drums, and a ride for the 800 m over to the roadhouse. It's located just across the road from CAG VOR, in the crook of the junction on which roadhouse & BP petrol station sit but there's nothing there.

I could alter the runway to grass to make it less obvious but the real thing stands out well in Google & Bing maps. In any case, with a VOR within sight there's no difficulty in finding it.

The afd contains objects from these three libraries, which I have in my EZ Scenery folder so I assume that's their origin:

AB_Vehicles.bgl

AB_Misc.bgl

AB Buildings.bgl

I put the bgl into FS2004/Addon Scenery/Scenery/ and had no issues with VOZ 1.8

ycagmap.jpg.4d4cfa3d48018bdb0aded34247e912cb.jpg

ycagvc.thumb.jpg.5037e33ee87c18974ebb347c47c3d764.jpg

ycagsp.thumb.jpg.fc7840abb84bd26b164eafe119bdea8a.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

That could explain how this happened, and when. When the '46 was introduced in VN.

I was in the first H-46 squadron deployed to Vietnam, Hmm-164. (YT) "Watson's Warriors" at Marble Mountain.  I don't remember hearing the term "Phrog" at that time.  But then again there's a lot I don't remember about that first go round,  Too many night med-evacs!

The 2nd trip over, I flew H-34's as a "Purple Fox" in HMM-364 (PF) for a few months.  We spent our free time trying to sneak around and paint, using a stencil of a fox on every vehicle any other outfit owned with purple paint of course.  As I recall, we stenciled about a dozen Jeeps from various other outfits during one big  meeting held by Lt. General Walt. 

Soon after that episode, mid deployment and maybe having to do with the spray paint job, I was transferred back to 46's in HMM-165. (YW)  I remember that positing really well.  It's when I broke my neck in a very hard landing caused by almost no hydraulic pressure, which sent me home and out of the Corps for good.  

I'm guessing the term "Phrog" came along after I was out.

Michael

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, defaid said:

If anyone does want to make a stop at Caiguna, would this suit? Very simple: a dirt strip, a shack and a few fuel drums, and a ride for the 800 m over to the roadhouse. It's located just across the road from CAG VOR, in the crook of the junction on which roadhouse & BP petrol station sit but there's nothing there.

I could alter the runway to grass to make it less obvious but the real thing stands out well in Google & Bing maps. In any case, with a VOR within sight there's no difficulty in finding it.

The afd contains objects from these three libraries, which I have in my EZ Scenery folder so I assume that's their origin:

AB_Vehicles.bgl

AB_Misc.bgl

AB Buildings.bgl

Bring it on! 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

36 minutes ago, defaid said:

AB_Vehicles.bgl

AB_Misc.bgl

AB Buildings.bgl

Heck that looks a lot better than some of the places I've flown in and out of, even in the US, anyway!!  My Baron should love it!

• Like 2

It’s sounding as if this event is really beginning to come together.  What to fly falling into place, flight testing, tune-ups and paints near completion, waypoint airport upgrades, and some have already arrived in Perth!  Looks like 11-13(?) possible entries and quite the variety of birds on the apron ... the fun has begun!

Still time but guess I better get moving … now … what is that engine start procedure again?  Ctrl-? 🙂

1 minute ago, taoftedal said:

It’s sounding as if this event is really beginning to come together.  What to fly falling into place, flight testing, tune-ups and paints near completion, waypoint airport upgrades, and some have already arrived in Perth!  Looks like 11-13(?) possible entries and quite the variety of birds on the apron ... the fun has begun!

Still time but guess I better get moving … now … what is that engine start procedure again?  Ctrl-? 🙂

Yep! You've got two Weeks... more than enough time! 😁

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

24 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Yep! You've got two Weeks... more than enough time! 😁

Just what I thought when I woke up this morning, it being New Year's Day of course. And in a moment of madness I though I'd fly 'G-AUST' out to Perth from where I am in west UK, it's only about 10500 miles and I've got 3 weeks to do it in. 🙂

I fitted an extra 100 gallon tank in the cabin, there's some legs in the Middle East that will need LOTS of range to avoid semi-combat zones, and I took of from my home field, Dean Forest Regional, about 35 mins ago, using real weather (which is AWFUL over UK right now) and I'm about 1/3 way across the Channel en route to the south of France on the first leg. (Don't look for EGDF anywhere, only Melo and I have it....)

I did a water take-off as Dean Forest has a ramp that leads right onto the River Severn, and the wind was in the right direction, and just because I could. 🙂 

Here I'm just lifting off en route.

Ferry-b.jpg.72e99407a42b3b742df74d70f8290168.jpg

Regards

Kit

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Have you checked the engine specs in  the cfg file?  Max and min MP and/or critical altitude may need tweaking.

I had a quick look but I don't know enough about them to figure it out, yet..................

Is it possible the supercharging isn't modelled, either at all or properly?

Regards

Kit

3 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

I had a quick look but I don't know enough about them to figure it out, yet..................

Is it possible the supercharging isn't modelled, either at all or properly?

Supercharging isn't independently modeled in FS, it uses turbocharging for both.  So that should be enabled-

turbocharged=1

Min MP and max MP set the boost at low alt/low rpm and at max pressure, respectively,  both vary greatly among different aircraft-
max_design_mp=60
min_design_mp=9

Critical altitude is the point where boost equals normal pressure at sea level, it also varies greatly but around 50%-70% of max altitude is a good starting point
critical_altitude=6000.000000

If I have no exact data I look at the cfg of another airplane using the same engine.

Thanks Defaid, I'll install it in the morning and let you know how it goes in FS9.

Melo, it was a steep climb out! busy taking pictures rather than flying, left to its' own devices the Mooney leaps up after takeoff. Power needs to be decreased sharply and angle of attack reduced immediatley after takeoff otherwise it will eventually climb up and into a stall.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Thanks Defaid, I'll install it in the morning and let you know how it goes in FS9.

Melo, it was a steep climb out! busy taking pictures rather than flying, left to its' own devices the Mooney leaps up after takeoff. Power needs to be decreased sharply and angle of attack reduced immediatley after takeoff otherwise it will eventually climb up and into a stall.

I dropped YCAG into the Add On Scenery/ Scenery folder, and fired up the Sim; no Buildings, Autos or Oil Drums. There appears to be some sort of partial structure low to the ground running parallel to the Runway, but that's it. I have the "complete" EZ Scenery Library that I downloaded from here; looks like I'm missing something?

Defaid... You might need to include those Objects in your Download, because they're nowhere to be found in the entirety of the File Library...

@Adrian K It would really be nice if whomever's responsible for the File Library would put the "Zip File View" Option back in play. It makes perusing Files so much easier.)

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Supercharging isn't independently modeled in FS, it uses turbocharging for both.  So that should be enabled-

turbocharged=1

Min MP and max MP set the boost at low alt/low rpm and at max pressure, respectively,  both vary greatly among different aircraft-
max_design_mp=60
min_design_mp=9

Critical altitude is the point where boost equals normal pressure at sea level, it also varies greatly but around 50%-70% of max altitude is a good starting point
critical_altitude=6000.000000

If I have no exact data I look at the cfg of another airplane using the same engine.

That's magic, thanks very much, I know what too look for now, but I do remember that turbocharging is set to 1.

Regards

Kit