The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

Just saw this thread for the first time. Well, this is an epic adventure. It's a long way from Perth to Cairns via Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. Am thinking to join in for part of it. I live near Kyogle, a country town in the Northern Rivers on the 'far north coast' (as settlement here was from Sydney, the term 'far' relates to Sydney) of New South Wales, about 2.5 hours driving time from Brisbane (which is over the border in Queensland). Per my new thread in the FS2002 forum, 'FS2002 Mazda', have finally got my cockpit set up again. Is all very old school, just an old laptop and it's screen, a yoke, and the default scenery etc. Used to fly out of Lismore YLIS. Have never been involved in a group event. Will be interesting to do it all in my default Cessna 172. Have never used the FS2002 flight planner nor ATC controlled flying. So will a good learning journey for me. I like the ethos of the group.

By the way, as the event runs from Monday January 15th to Thursday February 29th, Australia's National Holiday, 'Australia Day' is Fri 26 Jan, two weeks in, nice timing. So those who haven't finished by then can enjoy a barbeque with the locals. No, we don't 'throw a shrimp on the barby', that was just for the film and the tourist advertising, but we do throw on heaps of beef - sausages, steaks, fried onions. And of course beer is compulsory! Shall investigate all the info and put in an entry.

PS: Now I have the burden of having to come up with a very good, convincing story to tell my wife how this is very important for my mental health etc. etc., when she will keep asking me '... darling, do you really have to spend all that time out in the shed in your old car playing with that silly flying thing, when the house needs work ..., you promised me ... blah, blah, blah'! Answer will be something like '... yes I do, because [insert some list of reasonable excuses]...'.

[Apologies for the large pics, had reduced them to about 100 kb each, thought they'd appear small and all in one frame, but they haven't. Will try better next time!]

01-1-01s.jpg

01-06s.jpg

01-26s.jpg

01-48s.jpg

02.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MAD1 said:

Just saw this thread for the first time. Well, this is an epic adventure. It's a long way from Perth to Cairns via Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. Am thinking to join in for part of it. I live near Kyogle, a country town in the Northern Rivers on the 'far north coast' (as settlement here was from Sydney, the term 'far' relates to Sydney) of New South Wales, about 2.5 hours driving time from Brisbane (which is over the border in Queensland). Per my new thread in the FS2002 forum, 'FS2002 Mazda', have finally got my cockpit set up again. Is all very old school, just an old laptop and it's screen, a yoke, and the default scenery etc. Used to fly out of Lismore YLIS. Have never been involved in a group event. Will be interesting to do it all in my default Cessna 172. Have never used the FS2002 flight planner nor ATC controlled flying. So will a good learning journey for me. I like the ethos of the group.

By the way, as the event runs from Monday January 15th to Thursday February 29th, Australia's National Holiday, 'Australia Day' is Fri 26 Jan, two weeks in, nice timing. So those who haven't finished by then can enjoy a barbeque with the locals. No, we don't 'throw a shrimp on the barby', that was just for the film and the tourist advertising, but we do throw on heaps of beef - sausages, steaks, fried onions. And of course beer is compulsory! Shall investigate all the info and put in an entry.

PS: Now I have the burden of having to come up with a very good, convincing story to tell my wife how this is very important for my mental health etc. etc., when she will keep asking me '... darling, do you really have to spend all that time out in the shed in your old car playing with that silly flying thing, when the house needs work ..., you promised me ... blah, blah, blah'! Answer will be something like '... yes if do, because [insert some list of reasonable excuses]...'.

[Apologies for the large pics, had reduced them to about 100 kb each, thought they'd appear small and all in one frame, but they haven't. Will try better next time!]

01-1-01s.jpg

01-06s.jpg

01-26s.jpg

01-48s.jpg

02.JPG

Glad to have you join us! Perhaps offer some rolling Commentary regarding the regions we're exploring, and some of the jargon we'd typically encounter, being foreigners and all...

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, MAD1 said:

01-48s.jpg

It is so obvious that MAD1 belongs here!

Welcome aboard!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

YCAG Caiguna. See Wikipedia 'During the 1960s and 1970s, Ansett and Trans Australia Airlines domestic flights used a VOR station at Caiguna as a turning point on routes between Perth and eastern Australian capitals such as Adelaide, Melbourne, and Sydney.'. In that article it mentions 'The Readymix logo geoglyph, created during the sealing of the Eyre Highway, lies around 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) north west of Caiguna.'. Maybe you'll be able to see it 'At the time of its creation the Readymix logo geoglyph was the largest such signage of its kind, and appeared in the Guinness Book of Records between 1972 and 1991, first as the world's largest advertising sign and, later, as the world's largest letters.[2][3][4] The 3.2 kilometres (2.0 mi) wide, 1.6 kilometres (0.99 mi) tall logo consists of the words "READYMIX" surrounded by a diamond. Each letter is 240 metres (790 ft) high by 180 metres (590 ft) wide, with a line thickness of 12 metres (39 ft).'.

A good history of Caiguna and the Readymix logo. (I'd never heard of it before): 'About 1965, probably in winter , a decision was made to construct a giant rendition of the Readymix company logo virtually exactly halfway along the Eyre Highway, north of the 225 mile peg. One of the quarry surveyors was given the task of marking the logo out, and Allan Hoare, a grader driver, graded it into the plain over a holiday weekend. The grader easily cut through the few inches of soil, revealing the white limestone bedrock underneath. The absence of trees or large rocks obviated any need for bulldozing prior to grading, or rolling afterwards ... During the 1960s and 70s, Ansett and TAA domestic flights (Qantas was then a purely international operation) used Caiguna's VOR station as a turning point on routes to and from Perth, so the logo was beautifully visible to crew and passengers on flights between Perth and the eastern capitals. ... Increases in aircraft size, coupled with modern navigational technology, allow aircraft now to fly direct to Perth from the eastern states, across the Great Australian Bight, no longer needing to remain over land for navigation purposes. So by the 1980s scheduled domestic flights no longer overflew the logo, and it was left to deteriorate unseen, except for occasional scenic joyflights over it offered by the John Eyre motel. By 1998, the diamond was barely visible, and the letters all but overgrown'. So you won't see it today.

What is the strip, again in the Nullabor Plain desert, that is very long, and is the emergency landing strip for large commercials? Is it on the route?

• Like 1

I don't mean any offense when I say 'foreigners'; I'm mainly talking about me... 😋

The Caiguna VOR is a Waypoint on the Southern Route, and the other Sims have a very handsome rendition of YCAG, but us Default Miners that have a nondescript grass strip with no outbuildings or other infrastructure. I just thought someone could whip up something quick and dirty so it would have a little somethin' somethin'... remember, nothing fancy. 2 Petrol barrels and a shanty.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

YCAG Caiguna. Last post from me for today. Gee you learn a lot about your own nation from this FS hobby. Good luck with landing on this dirt strip in the middle of nowhere. Real World (RW) image. At least there is a Roadhouse nearby, food, bed, comfort. I don't see any infrastructure at the strip, so no av fuel etc. (Might have to pack a few jerrycans of juice into the Cessna.) If you want to make it realistic, perhaps the comp should disallow refuelling there.

YCAG Caiguna aerial.jpg

13 hours ago, MAD1 said:

PS: Now I have the burden of having to come up with a very good, convincing story to tell my wife how this is very important for my mental health etc. etc., when she will keep asking me '... darling, do you really have to spend all that time out in the shed in your old car playing with that silly flying thing, when the house needs work ..., you promised me ... blah, blah, blah'! Answer will be something like '... yes I do, because [insert some list of reasonable excuses]...'.

01-1-01s.jpg

01-06s.jpg

01-26s.jpg

01-48s.jpg

02.JPG

Your set-up gave me a smile as I was reminded of that old Disney classic ... well done MAD ... good to have you with us!

42b0f9a863f5ebebc9bf8fed21172991.jpg.ba6ccbfee714537edab1bc8cb840accb.jpg

I Loved the comment about MAD, Mad, etc., etc World,!  I won't be flying anything as cool as a Model T.  I'll just stick with a Beech Craft  or two.  Probably a Bonanza or maybe a Baron using P3D V4.

I don't plan on doing the TSD portion, at least fully, but i Will attempt to at least do a Touch & Go at every airfield listed, And yes, I'll probably have a brewski or two as well. 

I know that's a ton of landings, but hey I'm not paying any landing fees at the airports and THE FUEL IS FREE!!😉  Besides that's the best way to see how an airport is represented.  And when drinking beer I like to stay fairly close to the "facilities",  I was never a fan of the "Pilot Relief Tubes" we had back in the days!!  🤨

I haven't RW been down under since the 1970's so it'll be fun just to see how P3D and ORBX portrays it. 

Michael

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

15 hours ago, JSMR said:

Drinking beer while flying.

I always got those twos rule mixed up...

It is no smoking within 12 hours and no drinking within 50 feet, I think.

Interestingly, alcohol prohibitions for aircrew are dependent upon individual country regulations. ICAO only say that you may not be :\"under the influence, by reason of which human performance is impaired."

So strictly speaking, in accordance with ICAO, drink, just don't become impaired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

I Loved the comment about MAD, Mad, etc., etc World,!  I won't be flying anything as cool as a Model T.  I'll just stick with a Beech Craft  or two.  Probably a Bonanza or maybe a Baron using P3D V4.

I don't plan on doing the TSD portion, at least fully, but I Will attempt to at least do a Touch & Go at every airfield listed, And yes, I'll probably have a brewski or two as well. 

I know that's a ton of landings, but hey I'm not paying any landing fees at the airports and THE FUEL IS FREE!!😉  Besides that's the best way to see how an airport is represented.  And when drinking beer I like to stay fairly close to the "facilities",  I was never a fan of the "Pilot Relief Tubes" we had back in the days!!  🤨

I haven't RW been down under since the 1970's so it'll be fun just to see how P3D and ORBX portrays it. 

Michael

Sounds good, Michael!

Remember... you don't have to land at every Airfield, or even T & G. That's totally up to you. It's all about the Journey.

Give us your impressions of the time you spent Down Under; I'm sure it'll be very interesting!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Interestingly, alcohol prohibitions for aircrew are dependent upon individual country regulations. ICAO only say that you may not be :\"under the influence, by reason of which human performance is impaired."

So strictly speaking, in accordance with ICAO, drink, just don't become impaired.

Look... (hiccup) I say it's up to the PIC (burp). His/Her Cockpit, His/Her Rules. Arthur Godfrey was hotboxing Chesterfields in the 'pit of whatever he was Flying, they put Ashtrays in just about every GA airplane of the 50's & '60s, and all them pitchers of folks sitting in them DC-7's or Connies sipping Mimosas and Canadian Club on the Rocks...

I Smoke, I don't Drink.

Don't kack the Airplane, don't make the Locals cross at you, and try to be civil. If them Nuns come along again, oh boy...

• Haha 2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I don't recall many night med-evacs that weren't "warmed."

• Haha 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Welcome Mad One!!

You have found a home here!  I am glad that you appreciate our ethos.  Other groups require a certain level of commitment from their members.  In Club Chachapoya, we want you not only to be committed, but then to escape from the asylum (demonstrates planning and dexterity, two essential qualities in a Flight Simmer).  ViperPilot2 is our Monty Python; I'm a clown in the Flying Circus.

20 hours ago, MAD1 said:

We may be able to help you here.  If you have looked over the previous threads, you likely have noticed that some of us like to write - so much so that the thread for the previous Challenge reached 6 short of 1,000 posts!  So if you wish, you may tell your wife that you have wrangled a spot in a Creative Writing Workshop, tuition fully funded, that runs from 15-01 to 29-02, uses FlightSim as a common story paradigm, and also requires beer.  Any member who wishes may use this excuse; it is a freebie.  Should anyone require another excuse for something, PM me - I charge by the kilo of bovine excrement employed, + labor (just kidding).

Great cockpit setup!  Nice color on the beer, too.

20 hours ago, MAD1 said:

'throw a shrimp on the barby'

I thought this was the title of the Tom Cruise - Margot Robbie sex tape.  It isn't?

And on that note, I will end as I began: Welcome and well met, MAD1!  I look forward to seeing you on the ramp in Perth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

You have found a home here!

We are an odd mix of fact, fiction, rumors, and war stories.

So of course you can believe everything we say.

Well, sort of, uhm sometimes, kinda, maybe...

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg

And one last post for 2023:

May your 2024's bring you and those you hold dear peace, success in every meaning of the word, better health than you have enjoyed in 2023, and growth in all of the right places and none of the wrong ones.  May you survive 2024's turmoils and upheavals with calm and grace and emerge strengthened.  May we all be here this time next year, and raise a glass to each other.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jgf said:

Oh no, I'm excluded.  Being the only adult male in North America, if not the world, who doesn't like beer.

Not the only one. Been what, four years? Seven of you count the hard stuff.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 minutes ago, jgf said:

Everything I say is a lie.

And that's the truth!

phrog x 2.jpg

Just now, ViperPilot2 said:

Not the only one.

At least we all have fun, no matter what our beverage preference.

Remember, coffee is one of the essential food groups.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

4 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

At least we all have fun, no matter what our beverage preference.

Remember, coffee is one of the essential food groups.

If you dropped Coffee or Tea, there'd be WAR.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG