PhrogPhlyer

1 hour ago, meloscanlon said:

Not my best landing regarding the runway centerline.  To be honest, I was watching the clock more than the runway ahead at that moment.

You're flying a Mk. IX, correct?

If I was your Squadron, Station or Wing Commander I would tell you "Well, you got down in one piece, and brought back the Prize; the Pictures!! Now go have a Pint or two and a Cigarette, and regale your Squadron mates with tall tales of your Flight today."

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 minute ago, ViperPilot2 said:

If I was your Squadron, Station or Wing Commander I would tell you "Well, you got down in one piece, and brought back the Prize; the Pictures!! Now go have a Pint or two and a Cigarette, and regale your Squadron mates with tall tales of your Flight today."

Ditto - I don't know how wide Zelmer is in your sim, Meloscanlon, but in mine it's only 23'.  The fact that you got youir MkIX down anywhere on the runway makes you a far better Spitfire pilot than I am.  Congratulations!

“I wonder when the other teams will get into Zelmer?”

“Good question” I replied

“Some will just be over-flying.”I added.

“I've pretty much finished the plan for tomorrow, but the detail will have to wait till the weather reports in the morning.”

She pushed bits of steak around her plate, obviously no longer hungry but guilty about wasting food. “It would be fun to meet some of the other teams.” She looked up from the half eaten steak.

“A mixed bunch for sure.” I commented.

“Two Pipers in the competition” She mused: “The Cherokee one of my favourite aircraft, simple no-fuss, easy to work on.”.

“Maybe the organisers could arrange an evening meal for competitors and their crews in Lebanon. I think most are landing there. We know most of them from the previous race. The new guys are AirBasil and he is definitely landing in Lebanon, but I don't know when. TomPenDragon and his pal in the PA-28 I expect will be there, Sirrus and Meloscanlon I don't know.”

“I had a look round that Cherokee, it's old but maintained well, probably a major re-build. Why would you do that? Costs more than it's worth.”

“Nostalgia?” I replied.

“Not just nostalgia, nostalgia AND money.” She quipped.

“The guy selling the Airdale didn't look loaded yet the plane was in immaculate condition.”

“Two kinds of people crazy about aircraft, those that spend every cent and hour they have maintaining and polishing and those that pay others to maintain and polish for them to fly.”

She was right. I had met both.

“The Airdale owner was in the first category, both the guys in the Cherokee belong in the second.”

“And pray tell, how do you know?” I asked.

People can and often do dress down. But you know what gives them away?” No I replied honestly.

Shoes. And often with men watches, with women handbags.” She looked up from her plate and smiled adding “Both those guys had very expensive shoes, and the younger a watch that cost as mush as a decent avionics set.”

Time for bed I think.” not hungry any more but more tired than ever after the flight.

See you in the morning.”

Night...” I made my way to bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

You're flying a Mk. IX, correct?

Yes, it is a Mk IX, but I am pretending it is a Mk XI as I love the PR Spitfires the most, and especially PL965.

And yes it was an easy landing to walk away from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomPenDragon said:

I don't know how wide Zelmer is in your sim, Meloscanlon, but in mine it's only 23'.  The fact that you got youir MkIX down anywhere on the runway makes you a far better Spitfire pilot than I am.  Congratulations!

It looks to be about that wide in my sim too.  Most of my flight simulator flights are either in a Cessna 172 or in a Spitfire, so I have had a lot of practice.  Thanks!

I did land a Cessna 172 on a 25 ft wide runway in Port Orchard Washington in the real world once. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meloscanlon said:

Not my best landing regarding the runway centerline.  To be honest, I was watching the clock more than the runway ahead at that moment.

Concerned about wildlife, you swerved to avoid a rabbit on the runway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meloscanlon said:

Yes, it is a Mk IX, but I am pretending it is a Mk XI as I love the PR Spitfires the most, and especially PL965.

And yes it was an easy landing to walk away from.

I presume you've seen "Spitfire 944"?

Working out some minor Peripheral issues here; I'm fighting the internal Spring tension in my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick to where my wrist and hand cramp up and it gets very uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. Like real uncomfortable.. So, I pulled out an old Saitek Cyborg straight grip joystick from the junk box and compressed its external Spring with a couple of zip ties...

Voíla! The stick has no spring tension for most of its Range, making it much easier for minor corrections and also replicating to some degree the 'free float' motion of a RW Helicopter Cyclic control. Still testing it out but I think it'll make a world of difference.

I'll be along shortly... looking forward to meeting everyone along the Route! 😋

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

16 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I presume you've seen "Spitfire 944"?

Yes, a very cool story!  I eagerly watch anything I can find about Photo Reconnaissance Spitfires.  An older book these days, but "Spitfire in Blue" by Hugh Smallwood is an excellent history of PL965 in particular.  Snatch that up if you ever spot it in a used book store.

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Now go have a Pint or two and a Cigarette, and regale your Squadron mates with tall tales of your Flight

"There I was, Piper Cubs were everywhere..."

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Concerned about wildlife, you swerved to avoid a rabbit on the runway.

Now THAT explains a lot.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Walking out to the ramp, odd, not even the airport kids are anywhere to be seen. Odd for this time of the afternoon. 

I continue take off the covers and tie-downs, I toss these and the chocks into a bag.

Smiling the whole time I pre-flight, she may be old but this old bird has a grace the newer helos just will never have.

image.thumb.jpeg.f9e52feedc76bce15151fd969edcf56e.jpeg

Air taxi to the runway, waiting for 15:30 to T/O, rescan engine gauges, trim is working, and FMS strictly to draw a virtual line on the ground. Planned time at Zelmer, 17:42.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5ef837891090938627b6e9ba413c121.jpeg

Pulling a large armful of collective as I twist the throttle to near red-line... I'm airborne. Clocks running.

image.thumb.jpeg.28143d045df3460ee070b41935caaa85.jpeg

I see I'm approaching the Kankakee River, only 35 miles out and already four minutes behind, need to ask a bit more from this vintage radial.

image.thumb.jpeg.307e046a5b7c401a2458eee28284dc62.jpeg

Over an hour since Kankakee. just staying below red-line on the torque and temps, but now only a minute behind as I pass Bloomington airport.

image.thumb.jpeg.a452828bf9da37271d6f5f3f7223f9d9.jpeg

Giving everything a little rest, reducing power slightly. Feels good, even with the light gusty turbulence being only a couple thousand feet above the ground. I now see Lake Springfield clearly ahead. Roughly 35 miles to go.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd37091f2dcc10376417c334e2a30d77.jpeg

Finally, entering the base to final at Zelmer, not a time to be staring at the clock, but can't wait to get her on the ground.

image.thumb.jpeg.be32d8333e1d955761ed4bed212566b7.jpeg

Short final, just mere feet to go. Trying to ignore the sun in my eyes.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d72bf157bb577f5eae47d16a6e4dd1b.jpeg

And... Down!!!

I let the dust settle, look at the clock. 17:45.

Wow after over two hour in the air only three minutes behind planned. I need to thank my student pilot for his good review of the flight planning.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e9c58c3a9313fe439cbb6bd601f1eb8.jpeg

Taxi to the ramp. shut-down, and climb out onto the ground.

I listen to the ticks and creaks as the Dragonfly cools down after this workout.

She's a grand old bird.

As I wonder if there is a local VFW near the airport, I am sad that I can't offer this old metal gal a pint... oh wait, she'll definitely need a pint or more of oil in the morning. Hope they have Shell oil.

And with that thought, I saunter into the FBO wondering what tomorrow has in store of everyone.

• Like 3

phrog x 2.jpg

3 hours ago, jgf said:

are the times on my schedule based on landing or flyover?

Whichever you do for each of the ten legs.

phrog x 2.jpg

31 minutes ago, meloscanlon said:

No it was not the rabbit's fault, all on my piloting skills, or lack thereof.

Honor (or honour) still lives!

Well done old chap.

phrog x 2.jpg

Day 2 standings, based upon reported flight times/variances per route leg.

Updated as information gets posted. Should I miss anyone's posting of times, just give me a shout, and I'll correct this immediately'ish.

image.thumb.jpeg.edcc81f4b9cd1df3cee22f83d5d933b9.jpeg

Edited by PhrogPhlyer
Added an entrant's update.
  • Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

No doubt I lost time in the climb, cruise and descent but a good day in the air nevertheless.  South of Lansing farm by farm and town by town pass by (appeared that most of the corn and beans had been harvested), and soon Bloomington and then Springfield (IL) are each off the right wing.  Past Zelmer the Mississippi comes into view (pretty) followed by the Missouri (not so pretty).

Past Rolla and into Lebanon one is in the Ozarks (land of green hills, valleys, lakes and streams).  I was hoping for more fall color but I thought things still looked pretty green.  Springfield/Branson (MO) is soon off to the left and once down in Claremore (after coming in over the beautiful Neosho River) the American frontier is just up ahead.

Claremore is celebrating ‘Will Rodger Days’ (https://www.willrogers.com/) and I certainly want to see the museum and hit a couple of the events.  Tonight is the ‘Gentleman’s Cigar & Whiskey Evening - Celebrating the end of Prohibition’.  Honest!

KIGQ>5K1>KLBO>KGCM; Leg 1 V = 3; Leg 2 V = 2; Leg 3 V = 1. (I was extremely lucky on my approach and final ... not to worry, that won’t happen again).

PA-24_8.jpg.cd5fb00878b4d39fafec5ee1cc8d7e1b.jpg

PA-24_10.jpg.a8e074ce3ae7deba6705c76f9cc502d5.jpg

PA-24_11.jpg.1532014c72f33c4b6cb6ea90b91a1ced.jpg

PA-24_12.jpg.f18940e6131c2f41ac6a7cb1ba87d513.jpg

3 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

(I was extremely lucky on my approach and final ... not to worry, that won’t happen again

Too funny, but I know the feeling.

phrog x 2.jpg

13 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Can you pick me up a lottery ticket?

I was hoping he'd fly my next leg for me,

phrog x 2.jpg

7 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

The fuel truck finally arrived just before 18:00. Rey and Tom discussed whether or not to wait until the morning, but both preferred to fly through the night.

I'm lost.  What is going on?  Fly through the night?  Where in the world are you guys?  If we can't keep the Piper's out in front of those two Beechcraft we'll never hear the end of it!  😎

7 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

please don't mention 'Suc' in the same sentence

But what about the Suc-a-Lux Model 1989 or Valdez? Sucs up oil faster than a tanker can spill it! Great for any A&P in the hangar.

phrog x 2.jpg

9 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

I think 'Valdez' is something the industry would just soon forget ... ?

Sam and Ella Lux live in a vacuum. Ever since Ella met Sam, all she thinks about is Suc-a-Lux. Sam wears a perpetual smile.

phrog x 2.jpg