I am getting extremely slow download speeds with the latest FS 2020 update I have done a internet speed test and it says my speed is at 74 Mbps but the simulator installation stays under 10 Mbps which is very frustrating sometimes it fluctuates between 10 Mbps to 5 Mbps and then to 0 Mbps.

Unfortunately that is not unusual.  I''ve experienced that myself on just about every update.  I usually just start it and go to bed, and by the time I get it up, it is downloaded.

• Like 1
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

The internet is a perfect example of "a chain is as strong as its weakest link".  You may have a 100meg connection, the other end may have a 100meg connection, but the signal may go through a dozen nodes between you, if any one of those is running 1meg that is what you will get.  If you use a VPN try a different server, you may get a better route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgf said:

The internet is a perfect example of "a chain is as strong as its weakest link".  You may have a 100meg connection, the other end may have a 100meg connection, but the signal may go through a dozen nodes between you, if any one of those is running 1meg that is what you will get.  If you use a VPN try a different server, you may get a better route.

I've tried using Nord VPN but still no luck.

With your normal connection, start the update, go do something else, check back in a few hours. Nothing you do is going to speed up the MS servers or eliminate the hundreds of users also trying to update today.

• Like 1
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

"Nothing you do is going to speed up the MS servers or eliminate the hundreds of users also trying to update today."

More like a gazzilion users I'm thinkin'.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Where are you? Is it Saturday afternoon / night when a million other people also decided to do the update? Or rather, thought they'd like to go for a flight and were forced to do an update. I did it yesterday afternoon (Oz time) and was done in under 5 minutes on a link half the speed of yours.

Executive summary: its like peak hour traffic. If you do it when everyone else is, it will be busy.

It is a problem on Microsoft's side. The know about it. Have a look at the flight simulator forums of Microsoft. The make proposals how to (maybe) work around the problem.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

2 hours ago, grimsel said:

It is a problem on Microsoft's side. The know about it. Have a look at the flight simulator forums of Microsoft. The make proposals how to (maybe) work around the problem.

Which is what I said initially.   Even with all the money and technology, for years they've not set up enough servers to handle a sh*tload of people trying to update simultaneously.  Even if a dozen more servers were $200k, that's chump change for MS.

If I interpret MS hints correctly, it is more a software/configuration thing - but for the users who have problems it does not really matter, as long as they get some solution and can download.

Strange enough my download went reasonably smooth.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

19 hours ago, jgf said:

Which is what I said initially.   Even with all the money and technology, for years they've not set up enough servers to handle a sh*tload of people trying to update simultaneously.  Even if a dozen more servers were $200k, that's chump change for MS.

For years it's a problem not worth fixing.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

How can ISP speed be Microsoft's problem? I can't get an internet connection through Microsoft here in the UK because they're not internet service providers here, or anywhere else that I'm aware of. If you want faster internet, you pay your money and take your choice of what's available in your area - Microsoft have no control over that.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• Founder

You need to have reasonable expectations. Every company that offers downloads runs into this on occasion...I can even remember a couple times FlightSim.Com had this issue when some extremely popular freeware got released.

No company is going to install servers for that one day a year when demand is 100x what it is on a normal day. They're going to install servers that handle their normal load, plus some amount of overhead. That's simply good business sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrankPilot said:

I usually wait a day or so before downloading - never had a problem. Cheers.

Same.  And then I usually wait to start it before going to bed, wake up in the am and it is ready to go 🙂  

• Like 1
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

On 10/1/2023 at 11:12 AM, jgf said:

19 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

No company is going to install servers for that one day a year when demand is 100x what it is on a normal day. They're going to install servers that handle their normal load, plus some amount of overhead. That's simply good business sense.

It's not even about adding servers in the traditional sense these days. Microsoft has their own Azure CDN (content delivery network) with multiple data centres across North America and  around the world. The choice is up to them how well they take advantage of that, or not, and increasing capacity for a few days shouldn't be hard, or very costly to do. And MSFS users in Europe and North America, or even the west and east coasts, shouldn't be hitting the same servers when downloading the update (I doubt they are).

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/cdn/

https://azure.status.microsoft/en-CA/status