aliased sounds stopped working

jgf

Have been away from FS9 for a while, upgraded system from Vista to Win7 in the interim.  Recently returned to FS activity and found some aliased sounds are no longer working.  In the worst offender all sounds but the engine are there, no engine sound in internal or external views;  tried aliasing to different sounds, same result.  Tried putting full path in alias line (alias=L:\Flight Simulator 9\...etc.), made no difference.  Tried tried copying the entire sound folder to this aircraft, still no engine sounds.  Can't help but think this is related to Win7, but how?

Well, I've been running FSX on Win 7 for a dozen years or so, so I doubt that it's the OS itself (used to have fs9 also). But it's certainly possible that something got messed up in the changeover. I presume that on the sounds that are aliased you've checked that the sounds are exactly where the alias points, including exact spelling on the entire path, and that those sound files actually work with another aircraft?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi.

This one? It's definitely a favourite if you're using a headset. (Ha! I should have checked your link before I posted...)

It might also be worth checking that the wavs in the target folder do actually play... out of context in, for example, Media Player or VLC.

Also, though unlikely if you still have the same hardware, very high framerates can have an adverse effect on sounds although that's usually a buzzing rather than silence.

D

image.thumb.jpeg.ff712e11f74715c6d0bb3f6d9239d077.jpeg

Edited by defaid
I'm just a bit slow

Well, I stumbled on a solution, though I've still no idea of the problem.  All the sounds which weren't working had been edited with the FS Sound Studio,  I replaced the new cfg files with the originals and, so far, all are working (comparing the files I see nothing to explain the loss of engine sounds).

"Sounds" (sorry) as if FS Sound Studio was saving the sounds in the wrong format. Did you check whether there are other formats you can output with that program?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

12 hours ago, lnuss said:

"Sounds" (sorry) as if FS Sound Studio was saving the sounds in the wrong format. Did you check whether there are other formats you can output with that program?

I rarely use FS Sound Studio these days as (sadly) I can't make it work on a modern operating system*, but I do not remember it having a facility for (literally) editing sound files. What it certainly does do is allow you to edit how and when sound files are used, and that seems likely to me to be how the issue arose.

* - I am all ears if anybody knows how . . .

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

On 4/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, lnuss said:

All the Sound Studio does is edit the cfg files.  The giveaway to me was it adds a header to the file "Last edited by FS Sound Studio on (date)", all the files which weren't working properly had this header;  fortunately I have a simple backup system - before editing anything I right click on it and "add to 7zip", so I have the original in the same folder.