Willie Victor

For all you "Fly Navy" fans out there here are some quick shots of a Navy WC-121N "Huricane Hunter" repaint of the Redwings L1049G

Super Constellation for MSFS. Been waiting for this one for a long time.

The WC-121 was a later version designation of the original WV-2 ("Willie Victor") AEW model which flew radar patrols off both coasts of the U.S. during the late 1950s and into the late 1960s phases of the Cold War. I have a personal connection to these airplanes as my dad was the CO of the largest squadron of them in the Navy - 30 airplanes at the time.

In these shots, the airplane is taking off from Midway Island in the mid-Pacific Ocean which was - along with Barbers Point Naval Air Station in Hawaii - their home base in the Pacific. Argentia Naval Air Station in Newfoundland was the Atlantic base.

The paint is an awesome and very welcome addition to MSFS but not 100% accurate. Neither the WV-2 AEW nor the WC-121 Hurricane Hunters had windows down the fuselage and both models had wingtip tanks. Not bitching - just sayin' :pilot:

WV1.jpg

WV2.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Very nice Bill! I do love the Navy Colors but not a fan of the "growth" on the top of the fuselage!:rolleyes: Nice aircraft, just the same!

Rick :cool:

Thanks, Rick & Larry. Here's a more accurate shot of the WV-2 AEW and the WC-121 weather recon version with the correct wingtip tanks.

wv-3.jpg

Great shots as always Bill. 

It brings back memories of a P3 ferry hop coast to coast in 1966.  Three H-46 crews needed to get to Baltimore to pick up H-46s and ferry them back to California.  When we requested transport east, we were asked to ferry a P-3 east after it had been overhauled at North Island. 

BTW:  Though we all had fixed wing and turboprop certifications, none of us was type certified in a P-3.  I know in today's world that sounds insane.  But there was a war going on and we all did a lot of "insane" things to keep the supply chains running  That P-3B was the only long distance military observation aircraft I was even inside of.  And I, along with everyone else aboard, got to log some seat time on that flight. 

Non stop North Island to the east coast is quite the long haul, I think everyone aboard was bored out of their gourd for 90% or more of the flight.  Near the end of the flight a "Straight In" was requested and approved.  Then the two chopper pilots with the highest number of hours aboard nailed the landing.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Michael, I'd expect nothing less from H-46 drivers! Phrogs Phorever.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.