What the Sam Hill am I doing wrong. Maybe I'm jes' gettin' old!

Been enjoying most everything about MSFS2020 since getting my one good eye working again. Started off with the Cessna 172...NO PROBS. Moved on to the Beech Baron, Pilatus, King Air & Citation. If I recall, I was doing o.k. with ILS until I graduated up to the 787. I remember a few landings where I did lock on to the Glide Slope with this big animal, but it was probably on a few approaches I'm highly familiar with (KMSY, KPNS, etc.), and knew where I had to be. But for the past few weeks, filing flight plans and depending on ATC for guidance, I have accomplished ZILCH! Most always it has been ATC not bringing me down to below the GS. Another prob I'm having with descents and approaches is slowing this monster down to landing speed, even with full flaps and gear down. I started to watch a few youtube vids about the 787 but got bored with all the fluff.

I might add, I never had these problems landing big iron in previous MS Flight Sims issues.

And Sam Hill? An attention getter, and maybe make the young pilots wonder about it.

Thanks Mr. Zippy. I did give that a thought but wondered if that action was done in a real-life situation.

Also, hope you get that new puter soon and start enjoying this latest MS sim. Even with its problems, it is a giant leap over previous versions.

And, let me take this moment to say thanks for all of your sage advice. Most always, you're spot on.

Yep, it does happen in real life! A while back I was on final approach into KJFK in a 757, and for wharever reason it was a pretty steep approach. Those spoilers popped about every 30 seconds for a short period and then reset. It slowed the plane nicely for the landing. It will cause a slight nose up for a few seconds, so be prepared. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As a related comment, I find that the vectoring-in for airliners is typically later than one would expect. Consequently, as I am likely blowing my passengers inner ears out as a result of the descent rate.

What I have been doing on some flights (in the 787), is requesting a lower cruising altitude when within about 150 KM, so my descent isn't as lengthy & steep.

Good luck!

Tim

As a related comment, I find that the vectoring-in for airliners is typically later than one would expect. Consequently, as I am likely blowing my passengers inner ears out as a result of the descent rate.

What I have been doing on some flights (in the 787), is requesting a lower cruising altitude when within about 150 KM, so my descent isn't as lengthy & steep.

Good luck!

Tim

I did that all of the time! Hated diving for the deck as ATC had me do most of the time! Even when the cruise altitude was around FTL380, I would request incremental altitude drops and get it down to around 20,000 feet by 100 miles out.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Ditto with the ALT Decrease Request. I most always do it in 9K chunks ...but sometimes I forget. I assume real-life ATC treats you more professionally than "Report Runway In Sight" when you're just cracking the cirrus layer. Like yesterday, when I was told I was 11 miles south of KMCO 36R and still at 10K feet. At my age, I'm elated to still know who I am, but trying to remember all the intricacies of a decent landing sometimes escapes me.

I would hope that with more Forum complaints about the sim ATC, that ASOBO, MS and whomever else has a say in fixing probs, would get this fixed ASAP.

Good day!

I assume real-life ATC treats you more professionally than "Report Runway In Sight" when you're just cracking the cirrus layer. Like yesterday, when I was told I was 11 miles south of KMCO 36R and still at 10K feet. At my age, I'm elated to still know who I am, but trying to remember all the intricacies of a decent landing sometimes escapes me.

It sounds as though you're flying a VFR flight plan on an IFR route - if you're using the MSFS World Map flight planner, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. You can choose IFR low level or IFR High Level routes, and where available you can select SID's and STAR's with Transitions (Navigraph Nav Data is built-in to the World Map). When you have an IFR flight plan with all that included, ATC behaves much more responsibly!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Been there...Done that.

Dang it, I thought you would have... I don't fly the big jets any more, I did enough of that in FS9 and FSX; I now prefer the executive jets and turboprops which fly at much lower levels than the airliners - they have the same fancy glass cockpits and fly low enough to appreciate all that stunning photo-scenery! Maybe that's why I don't get any nonsense from ATC?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tiger. Poking around I notice others have the same gripe about arriving over threshold and still needing pressurization. I think it was around 1992 when I first attempted messin' with SIDS/STARS. Being a 40 year NWS (National Weather Service) employee I was privy to all those Approach plates along with Lo Alt & Hi Alt charts. When one could start utilizing them in MS flightsim, I was on top of it. I am humble enough to think maybe this prob is my fault, but cannot put my finger on it, no matter how hard I try. My wannabe profession was to be an airline pilot, but not many of us have our dreams fulfilled. I'm now 87 so need to now get my jollies with MSFS2020.

Being a 40 year NWS (National Weather Service) employee I was privy to all those Approach plates along with Lo Alt & Hi Alt charts.

REALLY! Have you still got 'em? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I think this is an MSFS bug, the Working Title team are constantly asked about the VNav function in the Garmin screens they are working on but it's going to take time. Meanwhile, I would suggest scrolling down the FMS FP list and manually descending to meet each waypoint altitude in advance.

Thank you for the kind offer but I was thinking there's bound to be somebody out there who would pay you for them, maybe on ebay?

Doubt anyone seriously wants paper anymore! I kept all my real world approach plates when on FSX but now it is so much easier to pay Navdata and keep updated approach plates etc instead of mountains of maps, plates and thick paperback books of airport data. To fly long distance in N America meant carrying all kinds of s..t in the cockpit but after I retired flying then of course everything was put on IPADS. I was born way to early.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

Yeah, know what you mean. Navdata plus all the free stuff plus info incorporated into MSFS2020 makes a real unnecessary chore of dragging out those books and charts. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, they are dated 1992, although much (or most) data is still valid. I think I dragged out one or two publications when I was reborn into 2020. Too much trouble. But I can't bring myself to trash all that printed info. Guess I'm a hoarder.