I use VR on-and-off and while enjoyable for short periods and the novelty of it, I still prefer my 1440p monitor and Track-IR for "serious" simming, where I need to see all the keys, a second screen and/or the odd note.

The most frustrating thing in MSFS 2020 in VR is the lack of a VR keyboard to type the name of an airfield to depart/arrive. Perhaps someone can illuminate me on a method besides having to lift the headset and physically type it on a keyboard?

The most frustrating thing in P3D v4 in VR, is that I have to physically lift the headset and look at the 2D screen to change the aircraft or airfield with the drop-down menu, not accessible in VR. Again, would appreciate if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

The most frustrating thing in DCS World in VR is the overwhelming number of commands needed to properly execute a mission. Even with a CH Products HOTAS (and secondary functions), I also need two Thrustmaster MFD's (not visible in VR) and the odd keyboard command to quickly and effectively manipulate all of the weapons, views, labels, aircraft functions, wingmen commands, comms, etc.

Doing everything in VR is certainly possible, but feels clumsy and not nearly as slick as a quick button or keypress on a physical real-world device.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

How can I KNOW that with that gadget on my head that I would NOT be able to see my charts and coffee? How can I know that using the mouse for control functions is clumsy, awkward, time consuming? If you think real hard, maybe you can figure it out.

So let it be. I've told you my view, it doesn't affect you, so let it be.

Yes, and mine. Trying to create the impression of real flying misses so much of the vibration, audio and visual cues as to be UTTERLY pointless at this point. No doubt it will get better over time, but in my experience so far - and both of them - I don't see a real advance.

TrackIR just sucks at virtual recreation in this sim. So come on the future iterations of virtual flying as there is little doubt if the whole paraphernalia is better optimised it's gonna be worth looking at again.

But it is all too clunky at the moment -and has all the hallmarks of non-pilots trying to fake being pilots... which they aren't. Perhaps we'll need some new advances in hardware?

I use VR on-and-off and while enjoyable for short periods and the novelty of it, I still prefer my 1440p monitor and Track-IR for "serious" simming, where I need to see all the keys, a second screen and/or the odd note.

The most frustrating thing in MSFS 2020 in VR is the lack of a VR keyboard to type the name of an airfield to depart/arrive. Perhaps someone can illuminate me on a method besides having to lift the headset and physically type it on a keyboard?

You can get all that information from the Garmin. I think the issue you guys are having is you can't "touch type" so you don't need to look at your keyboard. My last gaming keyboard was a mechanical DAP with no letters or numbers in it ..all black :) So anyway I can be in game with my VR headset on and still use the keyboard...and in the Garmin you can type in airports codes if you double click the cursor I think ..search YouTube tutorials.

Yes, and mine. Trying to create the impression of real flying misses so much of the vibration, audio and visual cues as to be UTTERLY pointless at this point. No doubt it will get better over time, but in my experience so far - and both of them - I don't see a real advance.

TrackIR just sucks at virtual recreation in this sim. So come on the future iterations of virtual flying as there is little doubt if the whole paraphernalia is better optimised it's gonna be worth looking at again.

But it is all too clunky at the moment -and has all the hallmarks of non-pilots trying to fake being pilots... which they aren't. Perhaps we'll need some new advances in hardware?

What are you talking about? I have a rocker gaming chair that vibrates and has sound ..you can literally feel the landings with a thump...even feel the landing gear lock in place...couple this with the 360 degree views of VR and you're in heaven.

Check out some YouTube vids good setups

The VR word triggers several members of this forum. They all feel the need to respond negatively toward whoever posts anything about it. Why it bothers them that people enjoy VR is beyond me. And they will get nasty about it. I enjoy VR immensely. I have all my switches and buttons on my Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle Quadrant set up in pretty much in the the same order that is displayed in the aircraft cockpit so it makes it easy to find them without removing my VR headset. It is beyond me why some individuals feel the need to respond negatively toward anything VR. It's like they want to start a fight without ever trying VR in MSFS 2020, or any other game or simulation! Granted there are a few forum members who get out of hand defending VR. Alternatively, there seems to be many more members who bash VR without actually trying it IN MSFS 2020, or any other game-simulation and making wild claims about how difficult it must be. Example: J-chocolate cake is delicious and I enjoy it D-chocolate cake is vile and I couldn't choke it down. J- Have you tried chocolate cake? D- no but I can only imagine. J-you don't like chocolate? D-yes I love chocolate. J-you just don't like chocolate cake? D-as I have said, I haven't tried it but it sounds disgusting and I would never try it. But if "YOU" enjoy it then stop telling me about it! J-then why are you responding to this thread? D-because I can have an opinion on any subject and I like to cause trouble. And by the way, stop telling me what to enjoy. J-to each, their own. D-stop telling me what I should do! J-I'm not, I'm just trying to discuss how much I like chocolate cake with other people who like chocolate cake. D-YOU shouldn't be allowed and need cancelling! (Me-That is what all this bickering sounds like to me). Edited by kevinfolsom

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

You can get all that information from the Garmin. I think the issue you guys are having is you can't "touch type" so you don't need to look at your keyboard. My last gaming keyboard was a mechanical DAP with no letters or numbers in it ..all black :) So anyway I can be in game with my VR headset on and still use the keyboard...and in the Garmin you can type in airports codes if you double click the cursor I think ..search YouTube tutorials.

What are you talking about? I have a rocker gaming chair that vibrates and has sound ..you can literally feel the landings with a thump...even feel the landing gear lock in place...couple this with the 360 degree views of VR and you're in heaven.

Check out some YouTube vids good setups

Just because it vibrates, doesn't make it accurate. My bike vibrates, but not in a good way.

Just because it thumps, doesn't make it a recreation.

The VR word triggers several members of this forum. They all feel the need to respond negatively toward whoever posts anything about it. Why it bothers them that people enjoy VR is beyond me. And they will get nasty about it.

It's hard to be certain, but I think you might be aiming at me, among others. HOWEVER, the negative responses I make are not about someone ELSE using VR, but rather about them trying to push it on me, apparently refusing to understand that it's NOT for everyone at this point -- maybe some day, but not yet.

there seems to be many more members who bash VR without actually trying it IN MSFS 2020,

Well, at least for me, it's not bashing VR itself, it's pointing out that it's not for me. And as for trying it, I'm not going to spend all that money, including buying a computer system that can handle that heavy load, along with a flightsim program that is (to read all the posts here) sounding as if it is in beta.

But I don't need to try VR to recognize that a mouse is awkward and clumsy and time consuming for control operation (switch, knob, etc.), and I don't need to try VR to recognize that I don't want a heavy gadget on my head and that I can't see real, honest-to-goodness charts with it on.

I have absolutely NO objection to others doing it if they wish, but STOP PUSHING IT SO HARD. It's fine for you, not for me.

bye

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I currently run Track IR pro with the laser things attached to the headphones. Feels just like a David Clark. With the 4k 48 " monitor it gives a decent feel for turning my head and fooling me into thinking I am looking out the side windows. I have a second smaller screen which was used for full instrument panel when I ran FSX and now I use it for the glass screens.

I like reading about how people have their VR set up for flight controls and am looking forward to trying this at some time so I hope VR people keep talking about their switch setups. I think if their was a way to switch to "see through" or hit a switch to change from inside VR to a camera that looks straight ahead it would be ideal. I saw one guy in Europe slice a bit off the bottom of the HP VR and he reports good results. I don't know if I have the guts to try that!

Anyway, keep up the conversation as it provides ideas and other solutions.

The VR word triggers several members of this forum. They all feel the need to respond negatively toward whoever posts anything about it. Why it bothers them that people enjoy VR is beyond me.

The opening question of this thread was literally "Any non VR flyers left?" So, you essentially invited the guys with the negative attitudes to comment here, right? ;-)

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

What I don't understand from the post in this thread... Is why any flight enthusiast would not want full submersion into a flight sim given the opportunity,.... Whatever the reason is, I fail to grasp it. good luck to them but please keep the negativity to yourselfs. at the end of the day it's all very childish and negative..... and how many in this thread have even tried out VR? Maybe finding common ground with fellow simers would be a mature way of moving forward instead of alienation... Just saying.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

What I don't understand from the post in this thread... Is why any flight enthusiast would not want full submersion into a flight sim given the opportunity,.... Whatever the reason is, I fail to grasp it.

I seriously dislike having my eyes and ears covered. My PC is upstairs so I like to know when someone's at the door and to see & hear the phone etc. I also like the simplicity of a keyboard, mouse, monitor, yoke & pedals setup - less to go wrong!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's hard to be certain, but I think you might be aiming at me, among others. HOWEVER, the negative responses I make are not about someone ELSE using VR, but rather about them trying to push it on me, apparently refusing to understand that it's NOT for everyone at this point -- maybe some day, but not yet.

Well, at least for me, it's not bashing VR itself, it's pointing out that it's not for me. And as for trying it, I'm not going to spend all that money, including buying a computer system that can handle that heavy load, along with a flightsim program that is (to read all the posts here) sounding as if it is in beta.

But I don't need to try VR to recognize that a mouse is awkward and clumsy and time consuming for control operation (switch, knob, etc.), and I don't need to try VR to recognize that I don't want a heavy gadget on my head and that I can't see real, honest-to-goodness charts with it on.

I have absolutely NO objection to others doing it if they wish, but STOP PUSHING IT SO HARD. It's fine for you, not for me.

bye

This was one my sim in FSX...I had it set up briefly for MSFS 2020. I was a VR hater at first because IFR was the way I flew, and wanted to convince myself that it couldn't be done in VR...and I didn't want to give up my panel. Then I tried Ultrawings on the oculus quest, an arcade VR flying game and decided to give VR a try. So while waiting for VR in MSFS 2020 I set up flyinside FSX, WCS, and Aerofly FS2.

This whole setup is now piled in a tubbaware box under my stairs...THAT is how good VR is.

thanks tiger your post makes it clear...... You have your coffee and phone and one ear listening for the doorbell.... I'm not being negative towards that at all, I'm just trying to make sense of it all... from what you said, you are not for totally submerging into the sim, you have too many distractions...... So I can see right off VR may not be for you..... I'm at the other end, I even play a local radio station for the area I'm flying in just for that extra illusion of reality ha... and at the end of the day that's all it is an illusion.... I adjust my headset so I can see through the nose gap at the keyboard which is seldom used once in flight... the speakers on the head strap don't block out all the background noise unless someone is whispering or you turn the volume on full blast... On the Quest 2 you have a pass through by tapping the headset strapp twice, which gives you the outside world albeit visually similar to night vision... then tap twice to go back to VR.... It will make no difference to what I say so I will call it a day with this thread. however you fly happy landing have fun...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

What I don't understand from the post in this thread... Is why any flight enthusiast would not want full submersion into a flight sim given the opportunity,....

While there are many VR users that are not pushy, I am only negative towards those with the above attitude.

I do not want to try VR for a variety of reasons, and I am not required to state them here. They are my reasons.

Like I said in a earlier post, I have no problem with VR or those VR users that do not keep telling me I have to try it. Or asking why I don not try it.

There are some posters here, VR users, who do not throw it in your face every day. But they will assist anyone using VR to solve problems. They also assist the other members.

Please stop telling me, and others, that we have to try it. Or that we are somewhat inferior if we don't

Just my opinion of course.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

While there are many VR users that are not pushy, I am only negative towards those with the above attitude.

I do not want to try VR for a variety of reasons, and I am not required to state them here. They are my reasons.

Like I said in a earlier post, I have no problem with VR or those VR users that do not keep telling me I have to try it. Or asking why I don not try it.

There are some posters here, VR users, who do not throw it in your face every day. But they will assist anyone using VR to solve problems. They also assist the other members.

Please stop telling me, and others, that we have to try it. Or that we are somewhat inferior if we don't

Just my opinion of course.

Hal

You don't have to try it but I guess what VR users get perplexed about is how anybody who calls themself a simmer wouldn't want to try it?

There is a reason all the msfs2020 YouTubers have all switched to VR ..It is a vastly better flying experience.

btw where is our VR dedicated forum? I guess the msfs2020 forum will eventually turn into the VR dedicated forum as eventually everyone will be VR flying. :)

You don't have to try it but I guess what VR users get perplexed about is how anybody who calls themself a simmer wouldn't want to try it?

There is a reason all the msfs2020 YouTubers have all switched to VR ..It is a vastly better flying experience.

btw where is our VR dedicated forum? I guess the msfs2020 forum will eventually turn into the VR dedicated forum as eventually everyone will be VR flying. :)

Aye. Mebbe one day. Just not yet.

VR for most sims for me is just an endless pursuit of chasing settings and not much flying happening. I for that reason gave up on vr long ago.

There is no hardware currently able to run it a what I call acceptable fidelity, DCS, XP11 and MSFS all look awful to me.

Anyone trying to say it is best for immersion needs to realise I don’t have Vaseline smeared on my eyeballs.

VR for most sims for me is just an endless pursuit of chasing settings and not much flying happening. I for that reason gave up on vr long ago.

There is no hardware currently able to run it a what I call acceptable fidelity, DCS, XP11 and MSFS all look awful to me.

Anyone trying to say it is best for immersion needs to realise I don’t have Vaseline smeared on my eyeballs.

What???? That is one of the main reasons I went to VR because with my panel there were always issues popping up or something crashing etc...with VR there are no issues at all.

Why in the world would anybody be perplexed by what I do? It is my life, my computer. my eyes.

Maybe they should concentrate on what hey do.

As for the vastly better experience statement, I will respond and I quote Col Potter from Mash "Horse Hockey" That statement is an opinion and I don't happen to agree with it.

Nuf said. Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

This thread is getting a bit 'Rodney King' isn't it. Can't we all just get along?

I have NO doubts that for many folks WHO CAN AFFORD IT, VR is the bee's knees of game simming immersion. Kindly realize that the PC capability VR requires IS pricey, the goggles themselves ARE quite pricey and they could present 'some' downsides for some users, eyeglass wearers included. Did I mention going VR is pricey?

Me? I thought I was probably spending far too much on a mere amusement when I got my Logitech yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. And next when I blew a bunch on a Grass Monkey IR gizmo. All of which would still cost me LESS that going VR by the way. Toys and playtime hobbies do tend to to be 'spendy'.

I ride an '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII - full bagger touring bike - YES, yes a million times YES the new Goldwing automatic DCT trike IS far superior to my ride, and something that WOULD improve my cycle touring ability at my age. And I will gladly forward my home address to anyone wishing to mail me a money order to purchase one. please PM me.

Oh.... the same offer to be a recipient of someone else's $$$$ largesse goes for switching everything I have on my desktop over to VR so I can 'fully immerse' whilst playing flight simulator.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx