Does FSX exist anymore?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's only in here.

I can understand the passion for FS2004, it was a good sim in its day, but time moves on and as such it looks severely dated.

That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable...of course it is, very much so.

However, for those who do enjoy using it, I suggest they spend their time and energy playing it rather than trying to persuade others of its virtues. More often than not, you're not going to change anyone's point of view and the whole thread just turns into a slug fest. How often has Dominic or Nels closed threads because of this?

I suggest we just enjoy what we have and let others do the same.

W33

Hey, W33

I, for once, am not here posting in any kind of fight. Quite the contrary, I'm having fun reading everyone's posts and appreciating all ideas. Of course I can feel the tensions, but that's not my game.

I believe my username says "junior" but I've been here since 2000. In those days FlightSim.Com was the biggest/best FS site - I believe it still is.... to me it is. I have (many moons ago) earned one of its developers' awards, one of my most cherished possessions. I dedicated to this hobby and to my friends 1000's of hours of real work.

So I'll keep my tone discussing ideas.

You mentioned FS9 looking severely outdated... of course it does; but does it "feel" outdated?

I cannot compare it with MSFS2020 as I don't have a machine to run it and, quite frankly, in this moment in time I don't feel the least inclined to such an investment.

And today I logged some 3 hours of bush flying in good ol' FS9. I had a blast and that, ultimately, is what counts. I'm not saying that FS9 is more enjoyable than MSFS2020 - actually this is an FSX forum .... :)

I hope and wish that everyone finds real pleasure with their sims, whatever they are. For fun I was just reading the FS2002 forum and found that there are still people flying it and having fun. That was great to read.

Would I try the latest MSFS version if I could? Sure, without a blink!

Would I spend 2000 in order to do that? No, I can't and no I wouldn't.

And I believe that there are still valid points when comparing one sim to the other - here's an example:

Take the CalClassic propliners website - that was already an impressive work some 20 years ago and they're still there. Lots of freeware with depth and dedication to true/authentic flying, to realistic flying - to flight dynamics, to procedures, to era correctness...!

I really don't know so please tell me if there's something remotely close to this for 2020. Authentic, mammoth-sized, freeware - that you could easily spend the rest of your life playing with.

When you think about things like these, outdated visuals don't really matter that much.

To me flight simming is about dreaming; I'm good at that, transforming pixelated screenshots in "real" flying memories.

Good luck to everyone :)

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Mowgli22,

My point is, people use MSFS because of the graphics and all in reality, nothing else. If the graphics looked the same as FS9/FSX all those MSFS fans would dump it in a flash and be right back here.

It comes down to this, if you want a flight sim, you choose FS9/FSX. If you want a plane game with pretty graphics, you choose MSFS.

Yes, absolutely MSFS is the future but it is not the future of flight simming because a flight sim it is not and never will be. It's a modern day gaming cash grab like so many other games out there.

I’m enjoying MSFS so far, and the free a320 fly by wire is fantastic.

Would I ever use this to obtain a real world license? Of course not. Does that bother me? Not in the least.

I’m enjoying it like those who are enjoying past sims. That’s all that counts isn’t it?

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

HI Mark, I respect your opinion. Always enjoy reading your posts even though i often disagree. Cheers

No problems with that at all. I enjoy reading your posts and everyone else's. I really really enjoy reading posts from people who I know are in a silly huff and puff over flight sim talk. They make me giggle.

Mark Daniels

Would I ever use this to obtain a real world license? Of course not. Does that bother me? Not in the least.

I’m enjoying it like those who are enjoying past sims. That’s all that counts isn’t it?

I never suggest what anyone should enjoy. If MSFS does what you want have a blast with it.

My argument is that if you take away the graphics, what's left has little appeal and users would almost certainly ALL be back to FSX/FS9. In other words, take out the eye candy and it is no match for the other flight sims. Even as far as the graphics go, I personally have many issues with them that I know I could not live with. FS9 graphics are actually preferable to me.

Mark Daniels

I play a bunch of old abandoned games. The masses always will go to the latest. I only go to the latest if it’s also the greatest and MSFS is not.

For a flight game VidMate which MSFS is, X-Wing from 1993 leaves it for dead imo!

As for flight sims, heck, I will always happily use FS2004. Could not care less everyone is gone.

I got this,...

sure. i still use FSX but i plan to retire from it pretty soon. when i take my last flight that will be it for my flight simulator career. i don't plan on being in my 50's and still playing flight simulator games.

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

sure. i still use FSX but i plan to retire from it pretty soon. when i take my last flight that will be it for my flight simulator career. i don't plan on being in my 50's and still playing flight simulator games.

I am in my 50's and still play - just not FSX any more.

Keeps me sharp for real flying.

I’m 54 and still playing. Lolol

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Think you would struggle finding many under 50 here. There is still a misconception that gaming is for kids. Many flight sim users wipe that away by arguing they are "simulating" and it's totally different to gaming. No, it's the same thing. lol

Keep at it. Flight sims and other games are all good for the mind, a challenge and fun as well. The gaming age average has gone up drastically over the years and it'll likely continue to go up. Now we just need to lose the silly stereotype of a gamer and be able to use the word "gamer" freely.

Mark Daniels

58 here.

Actually I'm looking forward to a time in the future where I have more time to relax, to fly.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Cautionary note to newbies: beware of posts from an individual posing as an expert on a certain flight sim but who has never actually used it, incredible as that may seem! (Well known to regular users of this and other forums).

Cautionary note to newbies: beware of posts from an individual posing as an expert on a certain flight sim but who has never actually used it, incredible as that may seem! (Well known to regular users of this and other forums).

If I could package your posts I'd put them in really fancy Christmas wrapping and send them to myself every Christmas. Ho Ho Ho

Mark Daniels

I'm 75, a private pilot single-engine-land, and still use FSX to practice and write gauges. I also have MSFS, but only use it for the eye candy of flying the C152 around my local area (OKC). For more serious work, its FSX.

Thats sad im retired and 67 and still happily play my flightsims, amongst other stuff of course. Age shouldnt be a barrier to enjoyment!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Thats sad im retired and 67 and still happily play my flightsims, amongst other stuff of course. Age shouldnt be a barrier to enjoyment!

When I started this hobby I was not even middle-aged. Now I'm a pilot in real life in my dotage, and can only agree with you!

I see no reason to stop simming, in fact I will need to stop REAL flying first!

Sims may come and go, but simmers go on forever!

but even airline pilots retire at some point.

Yes, by law (in the U.S.) they must retire at 65 -- used to be age 60 -- which is because they are carrying large numbers of people for hire, and at that age many start getting a little weaker (less endurance, really) and contrary to popular belief it can be a fairly strenuous job, not just during flight but all the training and other things they must deal with in their "off" time.

But there is NO age limit on pilots in general, just health requirements, and a few people are still active real world pilots in their 90s, many in their 80s.

So age is not a reason to quit. But if you no longer enjoy it or have other (non-age-related) reasons then stop whenever you like -- just realize that age isn't a problem (I'm 79).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, by law (in the U.S.) they must retire at 65 -- used to be age 60 -- which is because they are carrying large numbers of people for hire, and at that age many start getting a little weaker (less endurance, really) and contrary to popular belief it can be a fairly strenuous job, not just during flight but all the training and other things they must deal with in their "off" time.

But there is NO age limit on pilots in general, just health requirements, and a few people are still active real world pilots in their 90s, many in their 80s.

So age is not a reason to quit. But if you no longer enjoy it or have other (non-age-related) reasons then stop whenever you like -- just realize that age isn't a problem (I'm 79).

I'm working on the principle when it's time to stop riding, it will be high-time to stop flying. I think I have a couple of years in me yet, although I no longer ride sports bikes, even with all the gadgets and gizmos, just more power than I can handle!

im going to be 37 yrs old here soon. time to enjoy life and maybe even try to find a companion to share it with

Well there’s a good chance she could be a gamer so you’ll miss that boat. I’m older than you and appear to be more wise to the younger generations.

Mark Daniels

I really want to embrace MSFS 2020. ......really I do.

I have 2 machines that can run it with no problems.

Because of work, life etc I don't have the time to jump on the PC and fly somewhere as I used to.

Every time I fire up MSFS is installing updatess......86 gig here .....75 gig there there. I have 200MBs internet.

The other night I walked away from it and let it do it's "Update".

Fired up my 4 Gen I7 8gb Lenovo laptop and fired up FS9 with all the scenery tweaks and it performed flawlessy.

I also have Xplane, P3d, FSX and even dabbled with flight gear.

Hard drives are relatively cheap and Dual Booting has been around forever. One can fire up whatever OS one wants with very little issues and use the FS/OS of their choice. Get a NAS with rsync and do back-ups of your Hard Drive/OS/FS.

Who knows maybe someday I'll be like "Oh no way.....I am sticking with MSFS 2020. MSFS 2035 is still beta"

Or Sub-Logic FS-2 on my C64 flying from KISP to KMVY....mid flight Loading.....Loading......Loading...

Just my Two-Cents (before taxes)

Edited by Markg55

well,

I've used flight sims since the early days of ZX Spectrum. First one was a helicopter shooter, all wire frame stuff but great fun!

Then, on our work pc, Ahem!, along came fs5. that was incredible and I had to upgrade my home pc to accommodate it. Well from good to even gooder I guess. it was dependent on the money you earned as to what sim/pc you could run. It still is largely I guess. Now more than ever it depends on your internet connection too, for downloading free stuff and upgrades.

I've never been rich so my pc has always come last in my spending before my adorable family, but now in my twilight years I can at last indulge my hobby some what.

I have amassed a huge pile of aircraft/scenery/utilities for fsx, far more so than for any other flightsim I have indulged in. This alone to me is the deciding factor. I shall stick with FSX as I know its fickality and can usually fix its other problems, although recently came across one I had not hithertoo seen. however it is a fantastic flightsim. It has a massive base of supporting FREE writers across the whole spectrum of its entire. From utilities to Photographic scenery, it is amazing the free support out there. People dedicated to helping others enjoying a great simulator experience. And also the vast amount of payware that will probably always be available for it too. uncanny springs to mind.

Now as to realism. well from my limited experience of actually flying an aircraft, about 1 hr in a single engine, I probably cannot comment that much except, a pilot pal of mine did say that the Dash 7 start up sequence was awesome! I for one use CNTRL E! How pathetic is that! although the DC3 start up is good using the panels. I have used and still do use, flightgear. It is a superb flight sim which is FREE as opposed to fs whatever. However I do find myself drawn back to FSX more so that 2004 or that wire framed helicopter simulator. ( a chopper pilot friend tried it and couldn't fly it right! after a fe hours though he got it right)

Well really all I'm saying is that if you can afford it and the internet connection is right then give it a go. But for me its a no go due to the afford and internet connection. I tried X-Plane 11 and it just wont run well on my old (2018 upgrade) pc. pity

I really want to embrace MSFS 2020. ......really I do.

I have 2 machines that can run it with no problems.

Every time I fire up MSFS is installing updatess......86 gig here .....75 gig there there.

Fired up my 4 Gen I7 8gb Lenovo laptop and fired up FS9 with all the scenery tweaks and it performed flawlessy. I also have Xplane, P3d, FSX and even dabbled with flight gear.

Yeah this is where I am with MSFS too, but I'm somewhere in the middle of the FS landscape.

Haven't bothered to install FS9 or FSX on my new PC build, as they are now getting very old. But also too frustrated with MSFS 2020 to adopt it (still only using my XBOX GamePass subscription to try it out.)

At the moment I have P3Dv4, XP11 and DCS World and that is enough.

Also sick and tired of the (1) huge and frequent updates of MSFS 2020, as well as the (2) enormously long start-up time, (3) still no fly-by view after more than a year and (4) inability to switch aircraft, liveries or airfield in-flight

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit