Does FSX exist anymore?

Im amazed this post is still generating such interest goes to prove how popular FS2004, FS9 and FSX really are. I shant be touching MSFS its way beyond my PCs capabilities and i have no upgrade planned (GPUs are way to expensive now). Cant deny it looks good but from what ive read it ends there! FSX rules in my book

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have FS9 installed always will. Never could get FSX to run properly. Spent a fortune on addons for it. Bought the Premium Deluxe MSFS. AS you can see my computer is not that great. Runs MSFS at 25 to 35 FPS. The volumetric clouds passing in front of your user aircraft and the ground shadows are exceptional. Yes, aircraft leave a bit to be desired, but give it time, it will improve. My 2 cents.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Of course it exists. So does FS9. Both still have many addons to choose from, free and payware. As a recent convert to MSFS myself, there are things I do miss about FSX, and always will.

It's another example of "to each his own". Just look at the forums here; still plenty of new posts in even the FS2002 thread!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

It is a great sim Mark, but it shows it age. I still love it and have hundreds upon hundreds of addons for it. There is no denying though that the future of PC flight simulation lies in MSFS for the foreseeable future. screenshots and you tube videos are great but there is something to be said for seeing it on your own machine.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

It is a great sim Mark, but it shows it age.

Let me ask you this and it's a general question to anyone. If MSFS was exactly as it is except the graphics looked like FS9/FSX would you still use it or go back to FS9/FSX? Think carefully, honest answer.

Mark Daniels

There are other games that are effectively dead in the modern market. When this happens, people tend to gravitate to what was the best version of the game regardless if it was the last version of the game in the franchise or 2 or 3 versions before the last.

Flight Sims will be/already are on their way out. FS9 is the best sim. I think many others will come to the same realization and this will be the FS version many will gravitate too in the future. It has many advantages over the other sims and is the best all rounder.

People will come in and quote me and argue with me BUT my statements are the exact reason FS9 simply has not died off over the years like FS2002 and the other FS versions before FS2002. It has too much to offer. The masses will always race to what is new but when there is no new or new becomes no good, they then look back over all the previous versions and settle on what is the best version. For flight sims, it will be FS9.

Agree.

FS9 was my main sim for many years. I loved FSX when it came out but I felt it never replaced FS9 entirely. As you said, it has too much to offer, loads of wonderful freeware files and you can tweak it to no end. I loved FSX (the water was such an improvement) but I recall thinking about this or that file that we had in FS9

FSNav, for instance. That was an absolutely perfect addon in FS9 back then and still is, for me.

I stayed 10 years away of FS. I lost my FSX CDs so last year I added FS9 back on. Windows 10, everything still running perfectly!

Right now I'm doing a second parallel FS9 install (calling it "ultimate") with all the best/proved stuff and I'm having a blast. Flying (always) and tweaking.

I must say that I look at those FS2020 videos out there and am blown away by them! But at the same time I know my mid-spec computer wouldn't run it and I'm perfectly ok with it. I have FS9 locked at about 50fps which is more than double I had back then :)

I hope I can try my hands at MSFS2020 one day but, at the same time, I'm very sure I'll want FS9 in every computer of mine in the future. AND FS9 can pull it off!

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Sorry i don't really understand the question. If MSFS looked like FS9, why would i use MSFS? I just think that MSFS is the future. I will still use FS9 but in terms of realism and graphics it will not compare anymore.

I've remained with FSX. What I don't understand is MSFS still adhering to the "software as a service" business model which Microsoft has so clearly failed at again and again, after all. Remember when Microsoft claimed there would be no more numbered versions of Windows? I do. The release of Windows 11, under pressure after the ransomware hack of the Colonial Pipeline and other computer security horrors, well, Microsoft gave up on software as a service, that lip service silenced. And yet, MSFS rolls on as, guess what, software as some kind of service, screwing up, enraging you brave souls who bought into it, again and again, update after update. But, hey, love those screen shots! :p Edited by ftldave
add txt

Sorry i don't really understand the question. If MSFS looked like FS9, why would i use MSFS?

It's sort of like saying if FS9 looked like FS95, would you use FS9? Of course not - what drives new sim adoption is the quality of the experience, as well as add-on products and their complexity.

It's incredibly difficult if not impossible to return to FS9 and its 2D cockpits after getting used to P3D, never mind MSFS.

Cheers!

Sorry i don't really understand the question. If MSFS looked like FS9, why would i use MSFS? I just think that MSFS is the future. I will still use FS9 but in terms of realism and graphics it will not compare anymore.

Mowgli22,

My point is, people use MSFS because of the graphics and all in reality, nothing else. If the graphics looked the same as FS9/FSX all those MSFS fans would dump it in a flash and be right back here.

It comes down to this, if you want a flight sim, you choose FS9/FSX. If you want a plane game with pretty graphics, you choose MSFS.

Yes, absolutely MSFS is the future but it is not the future of flight simming because a flight sim it is not and never will be. It's a modern day gaming cash grab like so many other games out there.

Mark Daniels

HI Mark, I respect your opinion. Always enjoy reading your posts even though i often disagree. Cheers

MSFS graphics are awsome, but it's the constant 'fight' with the controls that prevents me from enjoying the presentation, I upgraded when MSFS came out. Small budget but finally: B550m pro-p -5 5600x - gtx1050ti - 2x16 gb 3200 16 - M21TB - Mugen 5 PCGM. Still can not decide howmuch to spent on a GPU. I've had MSFS right from the start, even on my 'weak' system it's the best ever for VFR visuals. But this contineous jumping around degrades the joy. Only my C152 is reasonable stable. We want further improve the realism in the sim say Microsoft and Asobo. I don't want a realistic flying plane, I'm not going up for my final PPL checkride. I want a slider in MSFS, from nought to 10 , zero is : the plane flies straight, as long as speed, trim, fuel etc is adequately set. 10 is for the die-hards, who want to fight the plane and the environment and who have the hardware to do that. I'm limited to KB and mouse on my small desk. Even with a magnifying glass I find setting even the simplests of knobs a true challenge. I played MSFS from start 4 month's on Gamepass, from $5 to $10 , then for 4 month's for free with Pretzels : Gamepass points, then the retailer of my MB and CPU gave Steam Wallet balance depending on which MB and CPU you ordered through them, I got $ 60,- steam wallet, so for my MSFS de luxe I paid only $ 29,- At this point I do not see myself creating a flight plan and uploading it into an FMC and doing a MSFS 'long haul' on LNAV and VNAV and ILS Cat 3 landing, at least not on my budget. For now my FSX is visually 85% of my MSFS with Fly Away Mesh, ORBX Global, all UTX available on my 1080p 144hz. I so much enjoy watching my stock Baron trying to 'top'mount Rainier, still failing for the last 200ft....? I create an FSX Pln in FSbuild and LNM. I put my Posky B777 on RW19 and I fly following the FMC. I try to stay in sync with my son's real world flight with Flight Aware. I look forward to preparing my approach and descent, and after carefull maneuvring do a full ILS landing. on 27. Non of this in accordance with FAA, who cares? I think I'll go for GTX2060 super to further boost my FSX and to enjoy MSFS 'a little bit better' I hope they do include 'my slider....' Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I create an FSX Pln in FSbuild and LNM. I put my Posky B777 on RW19 and I fly following the FMC. I try to stay in sync with my son's real world flight with Flight Aware. I look forward to preparing my approach and descent, and after carefull maneuvring do a full ILS landing. on 27. Non of this in accordance with FAA, who cares? This flight was ZBAA - EHAM.....

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

You are correct. And ignore commentary about any program from individuals who have never actually used it and simply have no idea what they are talking about. Just ridiculous.

People viewing the forum right now:

FSX (378)

MSFS Screen Shot Forum (298)

FS2004 (260)

MSFS Flight Simulator 2020 (175)

...these numbers do tell a story - and I'm not bashing any sim.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

People viewing the forum right now:

FSX (378)

MSFS Screen Shot Forum (298)

FS2004 (260)

MSFS Flight Simulator 2020 (175)

...these numbers do tell a story - and I'm not bashing any sim.

That's only in here.

However, if you have a look on Facebook, you'll see:

FS2004 = 770 members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1947180468719584

FS2020 = 60,000 members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/608473926761307

If you go to an X-Plane site, that will probably be in the thousands.

I can understand the passion for FS2004, it was a good sim in its day, but time moves on and as such it looks severely dated.

That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable...of course it is, very much so.

However, for those who do enjoy using it, I suggest they spend their time and energy playing it rather than trying to persuade others of its virtues. More often than not, you're not going to change anyone's point of view and the whole thread just turns into a slug fest. How often has Dominic or Nels closed threads because of this?

I suggest we just enjoy what we have and let others do the same.

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD