HIgh CPU temps

Thanks All!!! I checked the specs on the cooler and case and saw that the cooler will work with an LDA 1200, which is what my case is.

Things will be tight, I may reach out to my IT friends for help :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember heats rises so IMHO any case fan at the top of the case should be facing out ie EXHAUST.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Thanks All!!! I checked the specs on the cooler and case and saw that the cooler will work with an LDA 1200, which is what my case is.

Things will be tight, I may reach out to my IT friends for help :)

Do check the specific motherboard compatibility too. This isn't the same as just being compatible with the socket type.

Do check the specific motherboard compatibility too. This isn't the same as just being compatible with the socket type.

I have the Asrock z490m-itx mini-itx argb dual lan 1 gbe/2.5gbe 1pcie X16 1m.2 sata/pcie LGA 1200

This is what I am looking to get-

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler

Will this work?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

It'll work fine. I'm also runninng a 10700K (OC'd to 5.0) with that CPU cooler and the temps under a full load are 68-70C.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

It'll work fine. I'm also runninng a 10700K (OC'd to 5.0) with that CPU cooler and the temps under a full load are 68-70C.

But, will it fit this MB? Asrock z490m-itx mini-itx argb dual lan 1 gbe/2.5gbe 1pcie X16 1m.2 sata/pcie LGA 1200

When installing your new CPU cooler, use the thermal paste supplied SPARINGLY! A thin film is all you need. A small drop, about the size of a small pea. You can allow the pressure to spread it, but many people stick their finger in a plastic baggie and spread it manually. You do NOT want to get that stuff anywhere else, it's a b*tch to remove. And remember, applying too much actually insulates the CPU from the base of the cooler. You want it to be a conductor of heat, so it transfers from the CPU to the heatsink.

There are tons of YouTube videos about this. Please watch a few before installation.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

When installing your new CPU cooler, use the thermal paste supplied SPARINGLY! A thin film is all you need. A small drop, about the size of a small pea. You can allow the pressure to spread it, but many people stick their finger in a plastic baggie and spread it manually. You do NOT want to get that stuff anywhere else, it's a b*tch to remove. And remember, applying too much actually insulates the CPU from the base of the cooler. You want it to be a conductor of heat, so it transfers from the CPU to the heatsink.

There are tons of YouTube videos about this. Please watch a few before installation.

I have seen some of the videos, and you are correct, a small drop is how some of them describe the amount, and then they let the CPU cooler spread it evenly

Still looking for some advice on this as well- But, will it fit this MB? Asrock z490m-itx mini-itx argb dual lan 1 gbe/2.5gbe 1pcie X16 1m.2 sata/pcie LGA 1200

I have the Asrock z490m-itx mini-itx argb dual lan 1 gbe/2.5gbe 1pcie X16 1m.2 sata/pcie LGA 1200

This is what I am looking to get-

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler

Will this work?

If you look at the specs for your case, it lists a max height of 160mm for the CPU cooler, and that NH-D15 is 165mm. It's a big cooler.

Noctua have pretty good case and motherboard compatibility lists for their coolers. Find the cooler you're interested in on their site and click the service tab on the specific product page.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASRock-Z490M-ITX-ac-3927

For reference, see the clearance section in the specs for your case.

http://metallicgear.com/products/Neo-Mini-V2

Edited by loki

Thanks Loki, that has helped!!!

I have now purchased the one that is slightly smaller :)

That one should help with your CPU temps quite well too. The larger one is aimed at those looking to overclock their CPUs. When you install it, make sure to mount it so the heatsink and fans line up with the case fans and airflow (I only point this out as some people will mount tower coolers 90 degrees to the direction of the case airflow, and then wonder why it doesn't cool as well as expected).

That one should help with your CPU temps quite well too. The larger one is aimed at those looking to overclock their CPUs. When you install it, make sure to mount it so the heatsink and fans line up with the case fans and airflow (I only point this out as some people will mount tower coolers 90 degrees to the direction of the case airflow, and then wonder why it doesn't cool as well as expected).

I am NOT going to be OC the CPU :) I am a touch worried, the case height is 160 and so is the cooler. I am hoping that there might be a few MM's left over :)

I am also having one of our computer wizards install it for me :) I am an excellent paramedic, but when it comes to doing this, I will let someone else do it :D

I'm an old (literally) retired IT guy and have built my own systems but not recently so I'm no expert on the current hardware. That said...

I've heard that not all thermal pastes are created equal, some are better than others. Maybe somebody more experienced could weigh in with some advice on any specific brand that you should get.

I'm an old (literally) retired IT guy and have built my own systems but not recently so I'm no expert on the current hardware. That said...

I've heard that not all thermal pastes are created equal, some are better than others. Maybe somebody more experienced could weigh in with some advice on any specific brand that you should get.

Definitely correct. Arctic Silver 5 is supposed to be really good (around $A15) also Cooler Master HTK-002 (around $A10)

John

I agree. Arctic Silver 5 is what I use for all my computer builds. It's a little expensive but is worth it. I purchase all the individual computer parts (from different vendors) so I get exactly what I want without compromise and build it myself. I only use desktop computers for flight simming as I have a 737 cockpit I sit in. My temps never exceed 70 degree C running MSFS. But I am using liquid cooling with a radiator. My secondary computer has one of those huge air coolers with all the tubes and fans. It's heavy and I still wonder how it stays in place without sagging or falling off. The liquid cooler is way smaller and looks better through the clear side of the computer case. It even has it's own multi-color light show if you like that kind of thing. I don't care about the light show but my son-in-law loves it.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I've noticed my individual cores are getting very hot (at times) sometimes hitting 90 C, but the overall CPU temps are in the 70's

Should I be worried about the cores or the entire CPU? Was using the CORE app

It could be that some of the cores are doing more 'work' than others. I don't think that each individual core has the same throughput.

Also if I remember correctly CPUs will 'throttle' back when getting too hot to protect themselves.

Have you checked how much power the CPU is drawing and if it constantly draws the same? The more power it draws the hotter it will get.

I read that it is normal for the 10700 to 'pull' 225 watts for up to 30 seconds and then drop back to 65 watts BUT if when it drops back to 65 watts the temperature remains high then the cooler and/or its mounting is not doing its job.

Have a look at here

John

Hello

Sane cpu, water cooled, temps at 45c maximum.

You can have maybe poor contact cpu- cooler, poor thermal paste.

For me, change cooler for water cooling and use always top thermal paste.

I disagree with the need for water cooling, but it does look like the PC is running hot, so suggest looking at better cooling, starting with the PSU and going up from there, one step at a time.

I disagree with the need for water cooling, but it does look like the PC is running hot, so suggest looking at better cooling, starting with the PSU and going up from there, one step at a time.

This is what I am getting installed today, Noctua NH-D15S, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler

I agree with that unless it is OC'd and the Noctua NH-D15S looks awesome. Make sure you post the results.

John

That’s depend. I live in a place where sometimes I have 35c.

I never OC my pc but need good cooling features

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

That’s depend. I live in a place where sometimes I have 35c.

I never OC my pc but need good cooling features

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Never thought of that especially as we here in Sydney have not had temperatures like that this summer and had forgot how how it can get. We are having a very cool summer with average temps around 10C below average.

Also have to take into consideration airconditioning (which I have) which has my PC environment at a max of 24C. So aircon has to be factored in too.

John

I agree with that unless it is OC'd and the Noctua NH-D15S looks awesome. Make sure you post the results.

Thought it would fit, it does not. Right now, I am thinking of leaving it as is. It will spike to 90c, but not stay there.

I am keeping the cover off, and considering have a small desk fan blow onto the CPU. Would that work, or would it mess up the air flow?

If you're hitting 90c, thats way too hot. I'd look into water-cooling, but your case looks small - it's a mITX, right? You might not have a lot of options for water cooling in that smaller case. If you have to go air-cooled, that Zalman on page 2 or 3 of this thread would be a fine choice.

Also check your BIOS/UEFI for some kind of fan control. You should keep it on Standard, or Turbo - NOT Silent.

If you had it custom built, you should contact their customer support. Another thing to look is in your BIOS/UEFI to make sure it's not over-volting the CPU. That would cause the excessive heating.

BTW, what motherboard is in that system?

Edited by stempski

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One