Instrument check ride in Cessna within lessons.

bumble34

Has anyone successfully completed this? I`ve tried many times, but always failed due to many things including for example flying below 5000ft at Facts intersection when the instruments confirm I haven`t.

Yes, you did, why else would it report a failure like that?

Review your flight: Whenb did you hit `B` key/reset the altimeter? That'd be why...

No, first thing I checked.

In your reply it's not clear to me WHEN you LAST hit the 'B' key -- was it shortly before your failure? The reason I ask, and likely the reason that mallcott suggested this, is because the altimeter setting (local barometric pressure) will change periodically as you fly, often even if you don't stray a long ways from your point of departure, so resetting the altimeter is a frequent chore, often more so than in real life.

Perhaps you DID press the 'B' recently enough, but that's not clear in your reply.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Well I can try again, but the Checkride does in fact start in the air at 5000ft, mind you the original question still remains, has anyone successfully completed this ?

Maybe not on this site but I have seen some on Youtube who have posted successful videos of it.

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks for the responses, Yes I`ve done the Private Pilot one, it`s the next one that is the problem, and just noticed below someone in 2006 saying a similar thing. Truth is I`m in effect restarting from scratch with FSX SE having decided to put off Fs2020 until I`m more confident in getting satisfaction from it, but with no instructions, no helicopters or missions, that might be some way off

Thanks for the responses, Yes I`ve done the Private Pilot one, it`s the next one that is the problem, and just noticed below someone in 2006 saying a similar thing. Truth is I`m in effect restarting from scratch with FSX SE having decided to put off Fs2020 until I`m more confident in getting satisfaction from it, but with no instructions, no helicopters or missions, that might be some way off

MSFS has lessons, but not enough to help you with the FSX Instrument checkride. It is definitely passable in its default settings. It is the hardest checkride in the sim! It is even harder in FSX:SE since autopilot for it is disabled compared to boxed FSX. Commercial pilot and especially ATP were not as difficult for me.

I revisited it for a little bit last night. Increasing sim rate works in checkrides so try going up to 2x and 4x if you have your plane under control for those repetitive slow cruises. In addition, turn down all realism settings such as P-Factor, etc. I have heard the instrument checkride in FSX is harder than real life, so why enable settings that make completing it harder?

When I passed it several years ago I also had the approach charts (which are now obsolete) and the briefing printed out. I wrote down all height/heading/radio/etc. requirements for it. I also jotted down ILS settings just to make approaches in the soup easier even though the checkride doesn't tell you to do it, for instance. I'll see if I can re-pass it with much fewer tries now that my sim setup has been greatly upgraded and I have real world student flying hours under my belt....!

I revisited it for a little bit last night. Increasing sim rate works in checkrides so try going up to 2x and 4x if you have your plane under control for those repetitive slow cruises. In addition, turn down all realism settings such as P-Factor, etc. I have heard the instrument checkride in FSX is harder than real life, so why enable settings that make completing it harder?

When I passed it several years ago I also had the approach charts (which are now obsolete) and the briefing printed out. I wrote down all height/heading/radio/etc. requirements for it. I also jotted down ILS settings just to make approaches in the soup easier even though the checkride doesn't tell you to do it, for instance. I'll see if I can re-pass it with much fewer tries now that my sim setup has been greatly upgraded and I have real world student flying hours under my belt....!

Would be interested to know if you are successful

Did them all in FS9 years ago. Don't think anything was changed for FSX.

Instrument is really tough. Remember being near the end and thinking, "Don't screw it up now!" lol

Would have to be the most nerve racking landing I've ever done in a flight sim.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Did them all in FS9 years ago. Don't think anything was changed for FSX.

Instrument is really tough. Remember being near the end and thinking, "Don't screw it up now!" lol

Would have to be the most nerve racking landing I've ever done in a flight sim.

My legs were shaking when I made the final landing and for several minutes after! I believe FSX disabled the autopilot but other than that from what I have read it is otherwise not much different from the FS9 version.

My legs were shaking when I made the final landing and for several minutes after! I believe FSX disabled the autopilot but other than that from what I have read it is otherwise not much different from the FS9 version.

I don’t think you could use the autopilot in FS9 either. I know I certainly didn’t use it.

FS9/X sims don’t have career modes but the licenses are an excellent substitute if you want to spend a bunch of time working through something.

A real thrill to complete the instrument checkride. I intend to do them all again one day.

Mark Daniels