Sam the Sham and the Faroes???

BillD22

With apologies to all those old enough to remember the 60's hit song "Woolly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs what we're talking about here aren't the Egyptian guys but the picturesque and rugged Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic.

In this series of FS2020 shots an A320 from the islands flag airline Atlantic Airways (they actually use A319s) is on approach to Runway 30 at Vagar airport (EKVG) - the island chains only airport. This is a challenging and tricky approach with the airport sitting in a valley with high terrain all around, gusty turbulent wind conditions, and a last minute turn off the inbound ILS course to line up with the runway.

EKVG is a popular airport with simmers but some reason it got left out of FS2020. The scenery in these shots is a community developed version (still a work in progress but quite useable).

Here's the big picture with our aircraft on approach and an arrow marking the airport location "down in the valley" in the distance. A note on the approach plate insert reads "Expect moderate to severe turbulence."!!:eek: Fortunately it's clear weather.

EKVG Arrow_1.jpg

Views of our aircraft configured for landing and some rugged island terrain in the background and out a passenger window.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

View on final from the front office. We're on a visual approach and a bit off the inbound course to the left.

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

Rolling out with spoilers deployed and then getting ready to turn off the runway.

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

Here's a shot of the real airport. It's looking down Runway 12 - at the opposite end of our approach to 30.

EKVG Picture.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Yeah, remember all those. If they are playing in the cockpit on approach and landing, even cooler!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Faroe Islands are amazing, definitely on the bucket list to go in person. If you haven't seen pictures, look it up. It's like something out of a Star Wars movie, like the island at the end of The Last Jedi.

Nice pictures!!

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Famous Bill,

long long long long time no hear from you Welcome back to Flightsim!!! Nice screenshots of your new MS2020!!

Regards,

Aharon

Hey they're still here!! I play that music on a regular basis!! Nice shots as well. Just don't run off the end!! :eek::eek:

Micheal

Aharon - thanks for the welcome but "infamous" would be a better description of me :D:D

Michael & Larry - thanks. Glad to see there's a few of us old rockers still around :cool:

With all due respect to "political correctness" I'm old enough to remember "Ahab the A-rab, sheik of the burning sand" and the One-eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater. :eek:
Damn. You're older than I thought. ;) -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

With all due respect to "political correctness" I'm old enough to remember "Ahab the A-rab, sheik of the burning sand" and the One-eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater. :eek:

Actually there was a not yet discovered nationwide AM radio favorite station called WAKY Radio in Louisville Ky.!! Look it up, almost any popular DJ in the US from that era probably started or at least programmed at WAKY.

For their first several days on the air WAKY Radio the only song they broadcast 24/7 was "The One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater!!" Nationwide the big question every teenager asked was "How long is WAKY going to play that (supply your own descriptor) song!!??

Yes, today it's truly silly! But in the 60's no telling how many radio hosting careers were based on that song, not to mention how many unpaid millions of dollars were made off of it! Michael Jackson and his songs weren't even in that league compared to the percentage of listeners way back then!!

MIchael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Damn. You're older than I thought. ;) -- Bob

I'm only 23!................X 3.0104 = Young at heart! :eek: '

Purple people eater 1958

The Ballad of Davy Crockett 1955

Cherry pink and apple blossom white written in 1950 and went gold in 1955. My next door neighbor practicing that on his trumpet day in and day out!

All big hits on the AM dial back in the daze!

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️