A wee bit 'o' Scotland.

azzaro

I was hoping for a more realistic rendition of Edinburgh. As it turns out it's all autogen.

The Forth bridge is just a lame causeway and I had to pull up a map just to find the Royal Mile.

Where Edinburgh Castle is supposed to be is just a generic collection of buildings.

The problem with having many ultra-realistic cities is the unrealistinc expectation that all cities will be likewise.

As with FSX we end up flying around the same Obyx scenery because all else pales by comparison.

Still, mustn't grumble. :rolleyes:

This flight ends by passing over St. Andrews and lands at Leuchars AB.* -- Bob

Edinburgh (1).jpg

Edinburgh (2).jpg

Edinburgh (3).jpg

Edinburgh (4).jpg

Edinburgh (5).jpg

Edinburgh (6).jpg

Edinburgh (7).jpg

Edinburgh (8).jpg

Edinburgh (9).jpg

Edinburgh (10).jpg

* Landing not included - pictures void where prohibited.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Hey Bob! Hope you had a wee dram of Highland Park after landing!!

As to the poor presentation, I guess we all need to understand this is still a very new sim which is evolving! All the other sims went through the same issues. I can forgive all of that.

However I still haven't heard anyone say what will happen when not if Microsoft decides to pull the plug on yet another software product and leaves all the 2020 users stranded. When that happened in Windows 7, FS9, FSX, etc. people still were able to use the product they had bought. They, and I already bought it.

I hope I am wrong but everything I've read so far says you can't even fly 2020 without being online!!!!!!![/:eek::eek:

If that is in fact true, when not if, Microsoft decides to pull the plug because of low return on investment, anyone who has spent even a hour flying 2020 will be SOL!! Everything they thought was theirs will disappear!!!

I love pretty pictures but I still enjoy FS9, FSX, and P3D! And when not if their producers decides to "No longer Support them" such as Microsoft has done with FS9, FSX, Windows 7, etc. I can still fly and my wife can still operate her Windows 7 computer!! I own that software. I didn't pay to rent it!!

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey Bob! Hope you had a wee dram of Highland Park after landing!!

As to the poor presentation, I guess we all need to understand this is still a very new sim which is evolving! All the other sims went through the same issues. I can forgive all of that.

However I still haven't heard anyone say what will happen when not if Microsoft decides to pull the plug on yet another software product and leaves all the 2020 users stranded. When that happened in Windows 7, FS9, FSX, etc. people still were able to use the product they had bought. They, and I already bought it.

I hope I am wrong but everything I've read so far says you can't even fly 2020 without being online!!!!!!![/:eek::eek:

If that is in fact true, when not if, Microsoft decides to pull the plug because of low return on investment, anyone who has spent even a hour flying 2020 will be SOL!! Everything they thought was theirs will disappear!!!

I love pretty pictures but I still enjoy FS9, FSX, and P3D! And when not if their producers decides to "No longer Support them" such as Microsoft has done with FS9, FSX, Windows 7, etc. I can still fly and my wife can still operate her Windows 7 computer!! I own that software. I didn't pay to rent it!!

Michael

Not really the forum to debate the new sim per se, but a quick google search shows it can play offline though it will be truncated. There are youtube vids showing side by side comparisons.

This one shows some info on how to play offline. FWIW.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Pics look good! Will be interesting to explore places in the sim I've never really been in any version.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Much like meeting one's idols, visiting familiar places in a new sim can be good or bad.

The eye is drawn to the failings and faults and misses the wonder of the whole experience.

(a bit like marriage if I dare say) Perhaps it might be better to explore new locations only. :confused: :rolleyes: (ahem)

For what it's worth here are my thoughts on the matter of software succession.

The real tragedy, if it can be called that, of a new, better sim is that it makes the old seem... well, old.

I still have working copies of FS3, FS5.1 FS98, FS2000 etc. As well as many other flight simulators. Do I use them? Hell no.

I suspect my thousands of dollars of FSX software will suffer the same fate.

They were great in their day and loads of fun but I've been flying FSX for fourteen years. I'm ready to move on.

The only constant is change and I'm usually OK with that. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with having many ultra-realistic cities is the unrealistinc expectation that all cities will be likewise.

Nice shots Bob. I think your comment about sums up what happens when you have a program which aims to depict the whole world + accurately model 48 or so assorted aircraft. Considering how ambitious that is they haven't done too bad.

Nice shots! And yes, while there are lots of room for kmprovement in general landscape generation, I find it pretty amazing how good it is. When I first started up FS2020 I started with sight seeing in my current home village and bigger town nearby. I was blown away. I could even pinpoint my house, follow my SUP-boarding routes between the islands etc. and it was really not hard to imagine really being there, it was so accurate.

But when I told about my friends who also had seen the local scenery they were like, ”what are you talking about? It is no where near line real thing, vridges look weird, houses are wrong shape and color...” I gues it’s all about expectations.

But there are also big bugs in terrain generation, like the Shetland Isles atleast near EPGM, Hammerfest airport, my birth place and surrounding area in northern Finland to name a few I’ve noticed. Let’s see how terrain generation improves in the future!

Edited by Scratch/Rapsu

Still a very nice flight! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WOW!! THAT IS GOOD NEWS!!

I have been quite concerned about the internet only issue! And no, I don't consider myself a tin hat, etc. Seeing evidence I can probably use and enjoy 2020 after they pull the plug makes me much more comfortable "buying it!!!!"

Thanks for that link James!!

Buy yes, after seeing so many programs we bought having support cancelled, I think we all should consider what will happen when 2020 is not supported as well. ;)

Your pics. look just fine regardless of the accuracy 2020 scenery compared to actual real world objects. :cool: I'm sure there will be upgrades like there have been for the other Sims in the past. I wonder if and how third party addons will be adapted?

Larry

WOW!! THAT IS GOOD NEWS!!

I have been quite concerned about the internet only issue! And no, I don't consider myself a tin hat, etc. Seeing evidence I can probably use and enjoy 2020 after they pull the plug makes me much more comfortable "buying it!!!!"

Thanks for that link James!!

Buy yes, after seeing so many programs we bought having support cancelled, I think we all should consider what will happen when 2020 is not supported as well. ;)

It's certainly a possibility, as we know nothing lasts forever in life. Maybe it will be a long time before it happens, as if anyone in charge reads these forums, and finds people STILL using FS9 and even below, I'd hope they have the will to keep it going a long time. The flight sim community has quite a dedicated community, and if someone like me is still playing FS9 16 years later.............we'll see I guess. In all fairness I still play it because i don't have a setup that will play anything else :D

- James

Good point James! Yes I still have about four different versions of flight sim. So I have built a computer with tons of power to play them.

As to ability to play it, I don't have 2020 yet but from what I've read from users who do, it might be easier on equipment than P3D and some of the other sims.

Go to the 2020 site and see what level of hardware they recommend. ;)

Apparently Aerosoft is producing the boxed version of FS2020 which contains the bare-bones game for offline use.

It comes on ten double-layer DVDs. If I remember correctly FS3.0 was on two 3½" floppies. :eek: -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently Aerosoft is producing the boxed version of FS2020 which contains the bare-bones game for offline use.

It comes on ten double-layer DVDs. If I remember correctly FS3.0 was on two 3½" floppies. :eek: -- Bob

Good to know! I might end up opting for both. The DVDS for later or when the internet is down. (Sadly, that seems to happen almost anytime there is a thunderstorm near me!! We have little choice of provider here so they aren't real concerned about losing customers!! :mad: And I often "fly" whilst my internet is down.)

Michael