Who has given up on fs2020?

Give up! I have been trying to download the software for two weeks. Lost over 50 gigs with a fresh install after the new patch. Still getting looping files but making progress. I am almost desperate enough to go into town, knock on a random door and say, " hey buddy, i'll give ya 50 bucks for a hit off your fiber line"!

On the new install the file did get named MF Flight Sim. Misspelled or Freudian slip?

I am looking forward to the set up when I finally get it running.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, sent today:

Dear CEO Nadella,

I am writing today about your new product, Flight Simulator 2020. I got in on the late stages of Alpha testing, then bought the standard package. I am writing with celebration and concern.

I celebrate the stunning visuals and sounds. There are times when it is hard to distinguish if I am looking at a picture or am flying in the simulator. Things have come a very long way from 1982!

I am, however, concerned about several aspects of this program. I am writing this to you as head of Microsoft, not to Asobo or any of the associated collaborators because it is ultimately your product, and Microsoft’s name is on it. I will be general in my comments, because the particulars I continue to send to Zendesk.

I see that you are setting yourself and your customers up for failure. I have been “flying” since 1989 (FS4), and am an aviation enthusiast. Many of your customers are completely new to any sort of aviation. When they download the program, they do not see a manual. So they have only the vaguest notion of how to get that thing that is in their computer to look anything like to promo trailers, which starts their frustration.

Then, they attempt to fly the aircraft, especially the exciting ones like the jets, only to encounter flight models that have a very long way to go in their development. We Alpha testers knew this was a work in progress, and urged Asobo et al to delay release. True, there were some in our community that said that the release version would be much better than what we were testing; that “they wouldn’t dream of launching something so unfinished.” August 18 proved not so much.

And there is this seeming reliance upon third party developers to save the day. For instance, many are saying PMDG will release a better 747. I do expect the PMDG model will be highly detailed. However, the basic 747 provided in the program should do a good job of basically replicating a real life 747, even if it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of a third party developer. In short, it should work. Even the only semblance of a manual in places other than Europe is 3rd party payware. Really? You can’t even get an electric toothbrush without a manual. And I am so glad I went with the basic program instead of the super-duper deluxe premium, because the additional products are just as undeveloped as the standard ones.

There is a lot of bad buzz out there about MSFS 2020. In flightsim.com, there is a forum called “Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is a Hot Mess.” It doesn’t take too long on the Flight Simulator’s own forums to realize there are a lot of disappointed customers.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I very much want FS 2020 to succeed. I upgraded my computer in anticipation. I was deeply saddened when Microsoft pulled out of the flight simulator genre after FSX (for which you have trust to rebuild). I was delighted with the news of your return, and wowed by the trailers. And as I said, there are parts that are already stunning. But your team needs to double down to get things right. I don’t want the million users you quote to be the high water mark; I want it to only be the beginning. There is a real opportunity to make it gangbusters for the 2020 holidays if you get things right soon. But there are too many competitors with good and improving products to rely on anything but a superior product to attract and keep customers. The word on the street right now isn’t going to cut it. I’m with you, and I want this to be long term.

I found that the developer mode on gives a menu in which a aircraft can be switched after loading one (otherwise I had to start all over) The Planes fly pretty good as long as Auto Pilot is turned off. It seems that alt hold is ok (sometimes), but if heading hold is turned on the plane banks hard left and there is no going back until AP is off. The Garmin displays have been going off on me and sometimes do not go back on, in fact it is like the plane is shutdown but still flies. This is a big issue with me. I found the aircraft.cfg files, I suspect that is the problem, I was developing scenery in the early 90s but never a plane, so I know they can be screwed up easily I hope that the airplane companies come up with add on planes, the TBM 930 does very well so I may still with that aircraft.

Does anyone know how to set the push to talk key in 2020. I did in FSUICP but that is in beta. SPADNEXT does not do repeat while pressing key very well. Its what I need set for PilotEdge.

At this point I give MSFS maybe a C, I do wish they had waited another month or so. But it takes time, P3D v4 is rock solid but v5 still has issues. So I suspect MS will send out more updates as they did the first one. Time will tell

The Planes fly pretty good as long as Auto Pilot is turned off. It seems that alt hold is ok (sometimes), but if heading hold is turned on the plane banks hard left and there is no going back until AP is off.

I fly everyday on several planes. Autopilot works perfectly. The fact is the majority dont know how to use an autopilot because they wrongly assumed the "easy version" of previous sims was authentic and got used to using it incorrectly.

I dont do videos thats why I have to resort to someone that does it for me. Anyone saying the autopilot doesnt work must do the following: "learn pilot basics"

this is video will help

if its an airline the autopilot also works perfectly, just watch the channels of DRAWYAH and 320 SIM PILOT

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Morning chaps...

I've had to remove quite a few "heated" comments this morning; not something I enjoy doing when I haven't even had my first coffee of the day :-)

Can we please keep this nice...and most importantly of all...respect your fellow members (I can't emphasize this enough).

If this fails to work, I'll have to close this thread.

Thanks

Dominic

Rickbarnes:

Bugs are normal as per any version, they are related to comfortable features, like a fourth way to Pause or Instant Replay, not to functionality.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

Edited by DominicS

Kapitan

When I press someone about autopilot working perfectly and its probably their skills that need some studying they come with the far fetched excuse that the alleged problem occurrs when "saving and re-loading a flight"

Guys, thats not "saving a flight" like it existed in other versions, thats "saving a panel state", a completely different feature that is only present in complex payware.

Saving a flight means that next time when you load it the plane will be at the same location with the same flight plan ready to start again. Anyway, its not a justified reason to say "autopilot doesnt work"

Kapitan

When I press someone about autopilot working perfectly and its probably their skills that need some studying they come with the far fetched excuse that the alleged problem occurrs when "saving and re-loading a flight"

Guys, thats not "saving a flight" like it existed in other versions, thats "saving a panel state", a completely different feature that is only present in complex payware.

Saving a flight means that next time when you load it the plane will be at the same location with the same flight plan ready to start again. Anyway, its not a justified reason to say "autopilot doesnt work"

As someone who has not tried MSFS as you know, are you suggesting there are NO issues with the AP in any aircraft and it is all user error?

Mark Daniels

Regarding post #50.

Would a moderator please edit this.

"The new product is a magnificent example of graphic display and innovation. It will only be successful if the average joe with a 21 inch monitor and a joystick can easily use it. "

Is all that needs remain!!

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Regarding post #50.

Would a moderator please edit this.

"The new product is a magnificent example of graphic display and innovation. It will only be successful if the average joe with a 21 inch monitor and a joystick can easily use it. "

Is all that needs remain!!

Done!

Two things to note. If you are having trouble on take off with the aircraft lurching over as soon as the wheels are off, there could be two issues. One, is don't prematurely rotate, as you can now stall a wing if you lift off too soon. More likely, the joystick calibration may be faulty. Attempts to properly calibrate may be unsuccessful. To remedy this, unplug the joystick from the USB port for a few seconds before you attempt to calibrate.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Kapitan,

The functionalities I am talking about are overly massive fuel consumption, and yes, a dysfunctional autopilot in the 747-8i. And yes, I know how to use it. It simply needs work. Bugs are to be expected, and I do not expect perfection right out of the box. I think a little while longer of tweaking, and paying closer attention to the feedback of Alpha testers (of which I was one of many) would have been helpful. But I look forward to good things coming. I know it's a balance between great and a decent revenue stream. I am just concerned that as it is now, the revenue stream will be negatively impacted so as to diminish Microsoft's interest in staying in the genre. I hope I am wrong, because I am in it for the long haul.

I have yet to see a video of autopilot not functioning properly in the 747 or Airbus.

Fuel Consumption.

The C152 has 14 gallons in each tank

I set it to 2 gallons each

Took off from KMIA heading 300 climbing at 75kts to 5000ft then maintained 95kts with mixture 40%

Engine died 15 minutes later at about 35 miles. There was still one gallon in each tank.

So it consumed 2 gallons total for a 15 minute flight including take-off and 35 miles range at clear conditions. I glided a bit with engines off to compensate take-off/climb consumption.

With full tanks range gives 3 hours and 15 minutes and could possibly go 455 miles which is perfectly consistent with real life

Edit: in the Airbus theres absolutely no doubt it functions properly because i fly it everyday. The 747 i have flown less, though Im an expert in the 747-200 cause I flew it with my father as captain and learned all the systems back to front (INS included)

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

MS shot themselves in the foot so many time in the gaming arena and treated PC players like dogs for a decade or more it would take a miracle for them to redeem themselves.

Remember when USB came out in the late 90s and MS decided to corner the joystick market by putting out a patch for Win98 that bricked everyone's HOTAS. The patch disabled the ability to upload your assignments to the HOTAS. MS said it was for security reasons... Someone could upload a virus through your keyboard port.... An outright lie, slap to our face idiotic excuse that should have left Bill Gates with missing teeth and dotted eyes....he's lucky... real lucky.

This new version will probably go down in flames on the PC as a sim, but will take off for the arcade kids on the consoles... MS just needs to provide a means for that mentality to kill each other over and over in game and they will have another success.

I fly everyday on several planes. Autopilot works perfectly. The fact is the majority dont know how to use an autopilot because they wrongly assumed the "easy version" of previous sims was authentic and got used to using it incorrectly.

I dont do videos thats why I have to resort to someone that does it for me. Anyone saying the autopilot doesnt work must do the following: "learn pilot basics"

this is video will help

if its an airline the autopilot also works perfectly, just watch the channels of DRAWYAH and 320 SIM PILOT

Well that is a great video and it will really help others a lot. I know the system very well. He picked the one aircraft I do not have problems with. it works great. I will go back to the DA 62 because that is the one that acted up. I know the G750 1000 very well, so I will try again. thanks

Well that is a great video and it will really help others a lot. I know the system very well. He picked the one aircraft I do not have problems with. it works great. I will go back to the DA 62 because that is the one that acted up. I know the G750 1000 very well, so I will try again. thanks

yr welcome

da62 have you seen this one?

Kapitan

That same issue happened to me the first time i started the sim.

Went to Options Controls, filter All, deleted all the assignments for slider Z, added the 2 throttle increase and decrease and it was ready to fly. It took probably 45 seconds.

For you is taking since aug 18th 20 days, sad

I've been trying to figure out the same issue on my Saitek X-56 HOTAS. Throttle goes from 0-50 only. I will try what you did and hopefully that will fix it for me.