Just way too many questions to ask and things I can't make work right

Wow... I'm usually pretty cool headed about stuff I do for fun... but this has me pretty prayed up (and I'm not even that religious).

Maybe you can answer a few questions for me:

1. How do you release the d*mn f*c#ing parking brake!!!? :mad:

It says F11 on my joystick. So I keep hitting button #11 and it doesn't do s*it. I'm revving up my engines until they overheat, as I sit on the runway. I can't tell you how badly I want to mash my entire fist into my poor joystick right now.

2. How do you rotate external camera view on the joystick without it snapping to view?

3. How do you even set the & work all the camera settings? Sometimes it says external sometimes it says chase. They use so many convoluted terms I don't even know what I'm setting.

4. Does this thing have a downloadable .pdf manual. I'm not much into reading, but I'll gladly read that if it will help me.

I just want to jump into this thing hot and light, (the opposite of cold and dark); right on the piano bars of the runway, and go... just like I did in FS9. I'm no expert, I just want to have fun. Fun is what's not happening at the moment.

5. The interface for switching keyboard/mouse/joystick bindings is an absolute joke. I can't simply subtract one and add another on a simple to read screen like in FS 9 & X. It would appear that some of the bindings in the external sections cannot be crossed over and imported into the cockpit section, and vica versa. I'm specifically talking about camera stuffs more than plane control stuffs.

Maybe it'll just take time for me to calm the heck down... but seriously, if I can't use this thing, I'm going back to FSX Steam. At least I could get the plane off the ground and set my cameras in under 12 hours. More like under 10 minutes to be exact.

For the camera there is a guide on the official support site.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016003159

There are also guides in the official forums as well.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/guides/new-pilot-help-guides/167

And a couple advanced guides too.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/guides/advanced-pilot-help-guides/168

Thank you. for the links. This is just really tough, and overwhelming-- and I do dare say a tad bit depressing.

I didn't expect it to be like this. I thought it would be more streamlined, optimized, and ready to go fresh out of the starting gate. It feels awkward and clunky... like trying to learn photo shop or Auto CAD for the first time, and trying to do it all in under an hour.

But I'll check them out after I've calmed down. I'm just not there yet.

Oh.... how do you display frame rates and other data in the upper left hand corner, like the red data in fs9 and fsx? I can't find that key.

Edited by b3burner

John, did you download the keyboard reference sheet PDF that I posted?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?324219-Keyboard-reference-sheet

From what I heard, the alpha/beta testing was not to find bugs, per se, but to stress-test the servers. Bugs were reported and put on the back-burner for later updates. :(

Boy, I'm glad I didn't buy it yet!

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don’t lose heart. Try setting the control filter to ESSENTIAL and set up your own Basic profile for the Cessna 152. You can build up from that. There’s also an Allocated filter to check what the defaults are. I was daunted at first.

I didn't expect it to be like this. I thought it would be more streamlined, optimized, and ready to go fresh out of the starting gate. It feels awkward and clunky...

Boy, I'm glad I didn't buy it yet!

Wise words from the Zip. I'm glad, too. There's an old saying that you can always identify the pioneers because they have arrows in their backs. I have to deal with a lot of complex software in my work, and I knew the new sim would not be "streamlined, optimized, and ready to go". If you really don't want the frustration, you wait at least until the first update, the first service pack (or "build" update as it's called nowadays). I'll wait until then, after the first wave of bug fixes and refinements, and in the meantime I can learn from the brave souls who want to be first ...

Edited by ftldave
add txt

Wise words from the Zip. I'm glad, too. There's an old saying that you can always identify the pioneers because they have arrows in their backs. I have to deal with a lot of complex software in my work, and I knew the new sim would not be "streamlined, optimized, and ready to go". If you really don't want the frustration, you wait at least until the first update, the first service pack (or "build" update as it's called nowadays). I'll wait until then, after the first wave of bug fixes and refinements, and in the meantime I can learn from the brave souls who want to be first ...

That's why old test pilots say "Never fly an airplane that doesn't have the paint worn off the rudder pedals."

Everything you just said! I got m refund today. I'll wait until they make it work. All the problems you described are what I had. And for me , those issues kill it. So, I'll stick to the other two Sims for now.

what the heck is wrong with the gamers nowadays?

cant they find out anything for themselves anymore???

game is very easy to get into.

ga aircraft handle very well, no more flying on rails.

seems quite afew pppl cant handle more realistic.

sure there are issues, but i see only minor ones.

absolutely fantastic game.

Everything you just said! I got m refund today. I'll wait until they make it work. All the problems you described are what I had. And for me , those issues kill it. So, I'll stick to the other two Sims for now.

But you'll still be in the exact-same position, whenever you start?

There are NO lessons to be learned from any other sim!

what the heck is wrong with the gamers nowadays?

cant they find out anything for themselves anymore???

game is very easy to get into.

ga aircraft handle very well, no more flying on rails.

seems quite afew pppl cant handle more realistic.

sure there are issues, but i see only minor ones.

absolutely fantastic game.

I couldn’t agree more! I can’t believe the negative comments here. I personally have been flying since FS4 & we have come such a long way. Ok so the menus & viewing options are a bit different but you soon get used to it. Microsoft & Asobo have done a fantastic job & I love it. The best bit is thy will keep updating & improving it for years to come.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

They want to be “hey-look-i-manage-to-control-an-airplane” “its-reallistic”, but they dont want to learn how the machine/software they are going to use to achieve that is set.

They want things to be as easy as full automated flight with one button.

Thats why I despise xbox

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I too have joystick problems. But I am flying round the world. So I need to overcome them. Early this morning drifting up the coast of Northern Australia, with the sun rising through the mist, I just can't take my eyes off this bloody thing. I just can't. My Saitek X52 (which Microsoft recognises) has three right hand rotary settings bringing different colours to the top LED has given me differing results. After 7 hours today I am miles further on than I was. I just love it. Blown away by it. I started flight simming before any of this. Solo Flight and Mail Pilot. A mountain was an inverted black and white triangle. Now I can see my village hall. Just. Just. Just....

I have the proflight yoke. That worked without setting it up. I had to programme the trim switch and hat but it was simple. I use the throttle quadrant for throttle and gear up/down. I can not get the multi panel switches or mixture to work but it is early days. Beware of any scenery available regardless of who they are. Visually it is stunning, VFR flying will never be the same again.

I agree with you fully on this one, if our past experience is anything to go by! for a start they have still failed to address the issues with stairs, surely passengers do not just teleport in to the plane in the absence of gates! When no gates are available, the pilot should be able to call for stairs so passenger can disembark and embarking passengers should also be transported by airport buses to the stairs, is this too much to ask? there must be some passengers whether they board by gate or stairs. This should have been pointed out to Asobo studios from the outset by the Alpha and Beta testers. Finally there should be provisions built in to the software so users can create AI traffic road/air/boat and design local airports that may be missing from the original.

Currently I believe this still to be public beta, hopefully at some point when this matures perhaps we can look at it again.

I couldn’t agree more! I can’t believe the negative comments here. I personally have been flying since FS4 & we have come such a long way. Ok so the menus & viewing options are a bit different but you soon get used to it. Microsoft & Asobo have done a fantastic job & I love it. The best bit is thy will keep updating & improving it for years to come.

Regards

Steve

Agreed. This is my first taste of a serious flight sim. I did the flight lessons (almost the first words of the first lesson is ‘release the parking brake’ with an on-screen prompt telling you what key to press) and now have a grasp of the basics. Because this is a serious sim I have been watching all sorts of great videos that explain how things work.

I have experienced no real problems that can’t be traced back to me. I’m not going to flying jets for weeks. At the moment my goal is just to learn the basics of using the Garmin 1000 and that’s something else I’m going to have work at.

I’m loving the sim so far. It has met my every expectation as a non-pilot, first time simmer.

1. How do you release the d*mn f*c#ing parking brake!!!? :mad:

2. How do you rotate external camera view on the joystick without it snapping to view?

3. How do you even set the & work all the camera settings? Sometimes it says external sometimes it says chase. They use so many convoluted terms I don't even know what I'm setting.

I just want to jump into this thing hot and light, (the opposite of cold and dark); right on the piano bars of the runway, and go... just like I did in FS9. I'm no expert, I just want to have fun. Fun is what's not happening at the moment.

5. The interface for switching keyboard/mouse/joystick bindings is an absolute joke. I can't simply subtract one and add another on a simple to read screen like in FS 9 & X. It would appear that some of the bindings in the external sections cannot be crossed over and imported into the cockpit section, and vica versa. I'm specifically talking about camera stuffs more than plane control stuffs.

Maybe it'll just take time for me to calm the heck down... but seriously, if I can't use this thing, I'm going back to FSX Steam. At least I could get the plane off the ground and set my cameras in under 12 hours. More like under 10 minutes to be exact.

Hey b3burner, hope you calmed down and figured out a few things in the mean-time. I share your frustration, but took a completely different approach, seeing that it is a new team with a strong European influence. I recalled whenever I drove European cars in the past like Citroen or even some older Mercedes models, everything felt different and out place, nothing was where I expected it to be. Doesn't mean those cars were bad, just different.

Anyway, here is what I did:

1. Mapped the parking brake to a joystick button. Apart from the parking brake, all aircraft are pretty much still ready to go. But yeah it will be super weird in real life to line up on a runway ready for take-off and then put the parking brake on, right!?

2. There is no way around that one. Fortunately I have a CH Products Pro Throttle, with a miniature joystick/thumbstick, which I mapped to the X and Y axis of the external view. So for me, this is actually an improvement as I can can now control the speed and smoothness of the external view panning and although I miss the familiarity of the hat-switch panning, I kinda like this new way. As I said, we're dealing here with something different and if you have the peripherals (and patience) it may even be an improvement.

3. Learning curve; try them out, experiment and you shall find something that works for you. I'm fairly happy with what I have now, but desperately miss a FLYBY view which is not there at all, WTF!?

5. Agree 100%. Why can't I simply delete and replace a keybind at the same time. It is convoluted. However, I found that some keys or joystick buttons can do multiple things, most of the time. There are some external views that can be mapped to the same key/button as an internal view, but others not. Again it is a leaning curve, but at least one can use the same joystick button for two or even three other things, which I don't think was possible with FSX/P3D (?).

All in all I am very impressed with FS2020 and have no doubt that it will be improved and fixed in upcoming patches. I am therefore more than prepared to put up with the occasional stutters and convoluted viewing system for now, as the reward is a breathtaking sim. Have to add that I'm using my xbox gamepass subscription ($5/month) to "try out" the standard version, so I'm very relaxed about it. If I paid full price, I may have been a lot more unhappy.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit