Now you deleted my topic?

I have very little interest in VR. Playing flight simulator on a 55 inch tv or bigger is fantastic. A wrap around screen or horse shoe set of monitors is also quite life like. And those options are easier to set up and I can still see my keyboard and flight controls.

My system

MSI GE75 Raider

Intel Core i7 10750H CPU 32 GB Ram

2T SSD HD Geforce RTX 2080 Super

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have very little interest in VR. Playing flight simulator on a 55 inch tv or bigger is fantastic. A wrap around screen or horse shoe set of monitors is also quite life like. And those options are easier to set up and I can still see my keyboard and flight controls.

Dude I had dual projectors and it's not even close to the immersion of VR.

Dude I had dual projectors and it's not even close to the immersion of VR.

Sounds good.

These threads seem to have evolved into a binary choice, you like vr or you don’t and each side has subjective reasons why they feel the way they do.

Here are the facts:

-Microsoft will not be launching the simulator with vr capability

-Microsoft has not formally stated that Vr will be supported at any point in the future

-There is not a sub-forum here for vr, or any other features that do not exist at this time for that matter.

-There are suitable communication boards where those, who are so inclined, can contribute feedback, just not here, not now.

After the release of the new sim, these threads will pass to the bottom, just like all the others that came before it, and that I assure you is fact.

Edited by FrankR409

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Sounds good.

These threads seem to have evolved into a binary choice, you like vr or you don’t and each side has subjective reasons why they feel the way they do.

Here are the facts:

-Microsoft will not be launching the simulator with vr capability

-Microsoft has not formally stated that Vr will be supported at any point in the future

-There is not a sub-forum here for vr, or any other features that do not exist at this time for that matter.

-There are suitable communication boards where those, who are so inclined, can contribute feedback, just not here, not now.

After the release of the new sim, these threads will pass to the bottom, just like all the others that came before it, and that I assure you is fact.

Not if people keep replying...these threads will be back on top.

https://uploadvr.com/ms-flight-sim-2020-vr-high-priority/

Sounds like VR version will be sooner rather than later.

Better get that VR forum ready otherwise this forum will be buried in VR topics.

Do you really think MSFT is going to be the only major flight simulator on the market without VR? Do you really think they don't want to showcase that scenery in VR? It would be wasted on monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just joined the forum to see what the chatter about FS2020 (and VR) was like. I’ve been hugely enjoying VR in racing sims and Elite Dangerous the past few years and excited to try it in FS2020 if it gets VR support.

It’s a bit disappointing to see the conversation getting so polarised, people have different priorities and so VR is going to be a better fit for some than others. No one is wrong, it’s all just subjective opinions. Different horses, different courses.

I hope that those who want to be able to use MS2020 with VR will eventually get their wish. In time, I expect they well. Personally, I have no interest in VR as an add-on for FS. As much as I love flight simulation, and have for decades, I do not want to be disconnected from the real world when I do it, because for one thing it is dangerous. When the phone rings and no one is around to answer, I hit Pause on the sim and pick up the phone -- it might be trivial, but it might be an emergency. Same with other interruptions that might or might not be important. No offense to the VR supporters, just my take on it.

… I do not want to be disconnected from the real world when I do it, because for one thing it is dangerous. When the phone rings and no one is around to answer, I hit Pause on the sim and pick up the phone -- it might be trivial, but it might be an emergency. Same with other interruptions that might or might not be important.

That’s fair, however headsets like the Valve Index (which I have) have speakers that sit a cm or two away from your ears, so you can still hear your surroundings. The Index is generally considered as having best in class sound, so I expect we’ll see more headsets adopting that design in the future.

87fc9959daf21c403df72faf7ea83caf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isnt it strange that after pointing out Ghosttown made a profile just to push VR after he had another profile for the same "VRdude" and now another guy suddenly appears creating an account just to post on VR?

I will say my last on this respecting the fact that VR is an amazing and interesting feature in gaming, suitable for many games of young people, but just doesnt fit the requirements for serious flying simulation.

I will use Ghosttown own words:

VR is for those who call each other "dude"

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Hey Kapitan, yeah, I can understand your scepticism, but I can assure you I ain’t no GhostTown/VRDude. Having been super impressed with the FS2020 vids I’ve seen on YouTube, I’m here to have respectful chats, and as total flight sim noob, learn a thing or two from the veterans on this board. I do have a few years of experience in VR on other sims though, so would be very happy to have those chats with those who want them. Don’t worry though, I’m no zealot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely no interest here...........
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

what he said...

another day another new vr dude LOL.. probably ignore him and he will give up..

Ditto..until they start displaying IP addresses here this is going to continue..

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

I have an Oculus VR system and enjoy it quite a bit. I will be buying the new MS FS 2020 when its available and look forward to when VR support is added.

(4/16/19) ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop. I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, FSX:SE, Oculus rift, Windows 10

(Built 03/08): GA-EP35C-DS3R, Q6600 (oc=3.4Ghz), 8GB (4x2) DDR2 1066, Corsair 850W, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; FSX Gold+Accel+REX+UTXUSA+UTXTAC+MegaSc MN

When I "fly" today, just like when I RW flew, I want instruments, AP, etc with actual knobs, switches, etc. Not just click on a mouse to change settings. I admit it has been years since I could pass a flight physical. But even to date, I still see very little if in fact RW aircraft that are controlled by moving a mouse.

I know people will respond about the popularity of iPads and similar devices now being used in aircraft. They're the new replacement for maps, VFR, IFR supplements, etc. And in a very few cases as an emergency backup. In fact "Auto Land" is now being advertised to land an aircraft safely if the PIC suffers a stroke, etc. The object being to get everyone in the plane down with less chance of a crash. "Auto Land" is a wonderful last resort safety feature, like airbags! But it isn't flying an aircraft!

Despite all the goodies, you still control virtually all the aircraft with switches knobs, levers, etc. and gauges etc. you see with your eyes!

By my definition, and yes you've probably read it before, when I Sim I want to as close as possible re-create RW flying. Or "simulate" the act.

I live near a major airport and know several RW full time commercial pilots. As well as some who fly for the Air National Guard. I've asked a few how they would feel with a VR mask on while flying.

Not a single pilot I asked responded they would ever be comfortable flying and not using their M-1 eyeballs!

VR is nice. IMHO, VR for flying at least is not simming.

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

When I "fly" today, just like when I RW flew, I want instruments, AP, etc with actual knobs, switches, etc. Not just click on a mouse to change settings. I admit it has been years since I could pass a flight physical. But even to date, I still see very little if in fact RW aircraft that are controlled by moving a mouse.

I know people will respond about the popularity of iPads and similar devices now being used in aircraft. They're the new replacement for maps, VFR, IFR supplements, etc. And in a very few cases as an emergency backup. In fact "Auto Land" is now being advertised to land an aircraft safely if the PIC suffers a stroke, etc. The object being to get everyone in the plane down with less chance of a crash. "Auto Land" is a wonderful last resort safety feature, like airbags! But it isn't flying an aircraft!

Despite all the goodies, you still control virtually all the aircraft with switches knobs, levers, etc. and gauges etc. you see with your eyes!

By my definition, and yes you've probably read it before, when I Sim I want to as close as possible re-create RW flying. Or "simulate" the act.

I live near a major airport and know several RW full time commercial pilots. As well as some who fly for the Air National Guard. I've asked a few how they would feel with a VR mask on while flying.

Not a single pilot I asked responded they would ever be comfortable flying and not using their M-1 eyeballs!

IFR is easier and more realistic in VR...I do it all the time. VR will have a virtual iPad that you can look up approach plates on...right now I just get all the frequencies etc from the Garmin. Same as before. Either way the one drawback I thought I would have with VR isn't I couldn't do instrument approaches...I was completely wrong. The difference is I actually took the time to try VR to find out. Honestly even if only VFR VR is worth it...IFR was just a bonus for me :)

I have 10 saitek flight instrument panels, and I used to fly ifr all the time with fsx. My main stopping point with VR was that I thought I would have to give IFR up. I was totally wrong...in fact IFR in VR is even better, and more realistic because every plane is accurate...for example, even when I fly with my cockpit panel, my instruments (6 pack) are not where they should be for every GA plane, because every plane is different. I usually don't bother to adjust them as long as I have them all. In VR it is always accurate, so you LEARN to fly every plane you are in. You also get to experience all kinds of planes accurately..GA..jets etc...instead of having a "one size fits all" home cockpit.

I actually prefer the virtual knobs and buttons because they are easier to turn, and they don't break! I have been flying with the bulb out on my AP for years...and my altitude knob is a bit finicky. VR is low maintenance with complete accuracy.

Is that a thing anyone is actually proposing though? How many would be comfortably flying while knocking back a cold one in their undercrackers?

Jeepers, I wouldn’t feel at all comfortable driving a car with a VR headset on (or through a monitor for that matter). It doesn’t however follow that VR is therefore not suitable for sim racing.

…or to put it another way, “VR is nice, however IMHO, no _true_ Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.”

I’d imagine that most flight sim enthusiasts would love to have a complete physical flight deck at home, it sounds truly awesome, but I would guess is unachievable for most. While it may (for many) not match up to having the physical hardware to prod and feel, VR gives those people with different priorities the opportunity to _simulate_ being in any and all possible cockpits. And that to me sounds like something to celebrate.

Is that a thing anyone is actually proposing though? How many would be comfortably flying while knocking back a cold one in their undercrackers?

Jeepers, I wouldn’t feel at all comfortable driving a car with a VR headset on (or through a monitor for that matter). It doesn’t however follow that VR is therefore not suitable for sim racing.

…or to put it another way, “VR is nice, however IMHO, no _true_ Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.”

I’d imagine that most flight sim enthusiasts would love to have a complete physical flight deck at home, it sounds truly awesome, but I would guess is unachievable for most. While it may (for many) not match up to having the physical hardware to prod and feel, VR gives those people with different priorities the opportunity to _simulate_ being in any and all possible cockpits. And that to me sounds like something to celebrate.

I have a full cockpit and I switched to VR. Unless you have a 360 degree view at home you just can't compete with the immersion of VR.

Ghosttown,

your word cant be taken seriously

You are a newbie having joined in the last months just to promote VR

If you were a serious simmer (flight plan, garmins, airlines, navigation, procedures etc) you would have a history of querries and posts

I dont believe a word of what you are saying, you have no credibility jumping here from nowhere and start bragging about VR and about home build cockpit, by the way I saw your cockpit and those instruments are very unrealistic, a panel with round gauges but digital display? what kind of mess is that? I think you made a bad purchase there, getting rid of it is a good idea, no immersion there

As I said before

we need more serious simmers devoted to the likes of pmdg and other planes and route flying with the typical tasks inside a cockpit that a real flight demands, speaking out that they use nothing but VR now.

An arcade style combat fighter jet like yourself seem to be, its no news that VR is great, Im sure it is

Many amusement parks give you similar rides in VR fighter jets for 3 minutes inserting a token in the machine

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Hi Kapitan,

Sorry to but in but I just wanted to say, his panel is made up of Saitek FIP gauges. Although he looked to have the basic instruments on display, you can actually customise them and buy additional gauges. Some are more realistic than others.

I only have three of these at the moment but you’ll get the idea

Regards

Steve

E81BC621-0211-4326-90C3-EC138C801EAC.jpeg

7F7E44EF-1B17-4261-9401-D10783D1FDC4.jpeg

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

They look nice

The photo of his gauges all stacked like shoe boxes didnt impressed me. I think if you are spending that money in a home built you might as well do the cheapest part, a wooden frame where you can put the gauges in a cockpit like order and the monitor as a window.

Part of the immersive experience is that when you start the all-in-windows 10 p3d or xplane, your mind focus on the monitor and abstracts the rest of the room.

If you are building a cockpit you will have the whole monitor (s) as outside view.

However if the gauges and panel wooden framework throttle quadrant is not realistic you'll end up with a less immersive experience than all-in-windows.

Besides a semi complete or poor home built cockpit soon tires you cause its the same view for whatever airplane you chose to fly. So now Im flying a Cessna and a few hours later a 737 and its the same cockpit, made and customized by you, and that is a bit disappointing.

That is why, unless its a very reallistic home built, I rather stay with one monitor all-in windows

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Ghosttown,

your word cant be taken seriously

You are a newbie having joined in the last months just to promote VR

If you were a serious simmer (flight plan, garmins, airlines, navigation, procedures etc) you would have a history of querries and posts

I dont believe a word of what you are saying, you have no credibility jumping here from nowhere and start bragging about VR and about home build cockpit, by the way I saw your cockpit and those instruments are very unrealistic, a panel with round gauges but digital display? what kind of mess is that? I think you made a bad purchase there, getting rid of it is a good idea, no immersion there

As I said before

we need more serious simmers devoted to the likes of pmdg and other planes and route flying with the typical tasks inside a cockpit that a real flight demands, speaking out that they use nothing but VR now.

An arcade style combat fighter jet like yourself seem to be, its no news that VR is great, Im sure it is

Many amusement parks give you similar rides in VR fighter jets for 3 minutes inserting a token in the machine

Ya maybe you should watch this video that Kapstan posted