Crossing the Sahara Desert. Nouakchott International (GQNN) to Cairo (HECA)

Well I decided to take the 2673 NM trek across the most inhospitable land in the world. However, center started my descent too close to Cairo and was way too high on the approach. Had to declare a missed approach. Much better the second time around.

Leaving GQNN

fsscr000.jpg

fsscr001.jpg

fsscr003.jpg

Nothing but sand...

fsscr005.jpg

Going missed

fsscr012.jpg

Much better

fsscr014.jpg

fsscr015.jpg

fsscr016.jpg

fsscr019.jpg

fsscr020.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice flight presentation David! I am a fan of the 747's, kind of steered clear of them when first starting with flight sim. After giving them a try and learning a little more about them, they are really a pleasure to fly, despite their size!

Did you stay focused for the entire 2673nm trip? And did the computer behave the whole way over? With a little tweeking settings, I believe I have my computer issues resolved!

Nice flight David! - Rick :cool:

Yes! Most inhospitable, and the world's largest desert!

For the long approach, you could have used a circuit about some navaid, couldn't you?

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Nice flight presentation David! I am a fan of the 747's, kind of steered clear of them when first starting with flight sim. After giving them a try and learning a little more about them, they are really a pleasure to fly, despite their size!

Did you stay focused for the entire 2673nm trip? And did the computer behave the whole way over? With a little tweeking settings, I believe I have my computer issues resolved!

Nice flight David! - Rick :cool:

Thanks Rick. This time the computer and sim worked without a hitch (I was saving the flight at certain points just in case it went wacky.) I wasn't at the computer the whole time. I was doing other things around the house but checked in from time to time. Perhaps the lack of "substantial" scenery on this particular flight helped.

Glad you got your computer where you need it!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes! Most inhospitable, and the world's largest desert!

For the long approach, you could have used a circuit about some navaid, couldn't you?

I most likely could have just used the GPS and did the Vectors to Final function for ILS 5R into Cairo. I didn't have the approach plate (bad preflight planning) so I just decided to do an IFR clearance with ATC about 200 miles out. Normally they would start the descent from 33,000 feet at about 120 miles out. However, this was well under 100 miles out when they started my descent. Even at 1,900 feet per minute descent it wasn't enough. Sometimes ATC does funny things in the sim.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sometimes ATC does funny things in the sim.

Often, I would say :)

I mostly zap FS ATC by my flight's end. Before TOD, I cancel the IFR flightplan and I pass to local controllers, pretending I'm following a IFR approach

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Often, I would say :)

I mostly zap FS ATC by my flight's end. Before TOD, I cancel the IFR flightplan and I pass to local controllers, pretending I'm following a IFR approach

Good idea

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I installed various freeware mesh files for several Northern African countries, so the deserts look more real. Your pics are good David! :):cool::)

Thanks as always. I do need to try the northern part of Africa. I just decided to go straight through the middle :D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A nice long African desert flight David. I like the Emerald Air livery and it adds some soothing green to all that brown desert. :cool: :cool: :)

I've done about 40 African flights on my TRW tour, but most of them were not as long as yours.

Larry

A nice long African desert flight David. I like the Emerald Air livery and it adds some soothing green to all that brown desert. :cool: :cool: :)

I've done about 40 African flights on my TRW tour, but most of them were not as long as yours.

Thanks Larry. 40 African flights! Wow. That's a lot of desert time :cool:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good looking flight.

Thanks!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, that was a long but good flight. Nice shots. Have you tried RadarContact (Freeware now) as a alternate ATC? Jim

Thanks Jim. I have not heard of that before. Guess I need to check it out.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent set of captures David! :)

Thank you!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]