Adelaide Airport does not allow AI to approach and land

Cloudrunner

Hi. I recently redesigned Adelaide Airport YPAD using ADE175 and EZ Scenery with updates. Unlike the other airports I have done, Adelaide does not allow my AI traffic to land on runway 05 (or any runway), but has no problem with AI taking off from runway 05. I've checked and rechecked the primary and secondary runway data, but I cannot see what I've done wrong. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should look for so that the AI traffic can land? Darn airport just empties and never fills up!

Is/are the runway/s closed for landing?

Is there a runway taxi link going down the middle of the runway?

Are the coordinates and elevation for the runway/s true for the airport?

I don't use ADE that often, but I do use AFX, so that's all I can really think of unless you have a corrupt bgl in one facet or another. When I made airports in FS2004 I would sometimes run the bgl file through a bgl file error checker. And here Opa delivers again. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?236912-BGL-checker

It's in fact the xml file. I think ADE can produce that.

You may want to ask here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Question: when planes land, do they disappear right away?

If that's the case then Doods hit the nail on the head.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

Or you don't have enough landing spots

Question: when planes land, do they disappear right away?

If that's the case then Doods hit the nail on the head.

What is a landing spot?

I think you mean parking spot.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks guys. I don't think it's a parking space problem, because the aircraft do not touch down and disappear. They don't even approach the airport in the distance. It's as though the airport doesn't exist for landing.

As to CRJ_simpilot's question, the primary runway 05 is open from landing, though I did close the opposite runway 23 for landing. Perhaps that affects the primary runway as well?? I'll try it just to be sure.

The coordinates for the airport have remained unchanged from when I opened the stock airport and modified the layout from there. It's weird. I've never ever had this problem before, and I have modified stacks of airports.

Thanks guys. I don't think it's a parking space problem, because the aircraft do not touch down and disappear. They don't even approach the airport in the distance. It's as though the airport doesn't exist for landing.

It could be that the stock approaches are missing - you can import the stock Navaids etc. in ADE and re-compile the airport.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

the primary runway 05 is open from landing, though I did close the opposite runway 23 for landing.

That does not reliably work. You need to either open both ends or close both ends.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

If you are not sure about the airport download AFCAD221 and it will tell you everything you need to know about it that airport

Sorry but AFCAD221 should NOT be used to edit any FS2004 airport with ILS beacons, it was created before the FS2004 ILS system was fully understood. Use the freeware ADE or payware AFX instead.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Actually AFCAD handles ILS "beacons" just fine. What it doesn't understand are the approaches. So if you are going to change (for example) any runway numbers I would avoid AFCAD because it will break all the approaches (since the approaches keep the old runway numbers and become invalid). In ADE you do have to manually edit all the approaches to that runway after changing a runway number (to the correct new runway number/designation), but it is at least possible.

But if all you are going to do is edit the ILS properties itself (and not affect the approach system) then AFCAD works OK for that.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I opened the opposite runway so that both are now open for landing. I went into ADE and checked the approach mode and found a duplicate of the ILS approach to Runway 05, which I deleted, but I'm afraid it still didn't fix the problem.

The other feature I notice about this airport is that when I fly into the airport, the ATC says it is directing me in on runway 05, but in reality it brings me in on runway 23 (the opposite end)! Heck, I know we Aussies do some crazy stuff, but this does my head in!

Tom, I'll have a look into your idea tomorrow about the co-ordinates. I would be surprised if they had changed, because I never changed the airport location during my modification, but I'll check just to be sure. Do you know how I could reinstall the default approaches without having to redo the airport?

The other feature I notice about this airport is that when I fly into the airport, the ATC says it is directing me in on runway 05, but in reality it brings me in on runway 23 (the opposite end)!

I'd have a look at that runway in ADE. Something there is messed up. Perhaps its mag heading? I'm not sure.

And as I mentioned in post #2, you should be able to save the XML of the airport in ADE and check it with the checker tool for any errors. That then should help clue you into any problems you may have.

I tried to use ADE here to see what option you'd use to export XML, but the damn thing is constantly loading. I have had nothing but trouble with ADE and much prefer AFX, albeit it a lot more striped down. I even had a hell of a time getting ADE to work in the first place. No one said you needed an updated FSX SDK for it.

OOM errors? Read this.

• 3 weeks later...

Just zip the XML files. I'd like to see if I can check it for errors. This site should allow zip attachments. If not, there are a plethora of file hosting sites out there.

Edit-

Yes, this site allows zips.

OOM errors? Read this.

Mmm...the File Upload Manager on Flightsim.com gives me a message to say that the zip file is an invalid file. I've tried zipping the entire folder and uploading, and I've tried zipping just the XML files and uploading, but same error message. I'll have to see what else I can do.

Okay, use this site and upload there and share the link.

https://uploadfiles.io/

If that doesn't work create a free dropbox account.

OOM errors? Read this.

Hi,

ADE has it's own fault finder, in the Tools menu, so no need to export XMLs. If there are serious errors, it will not compile the airport.

It uses bglcomp from MS. That's probably why, for FSX, you need the SDK for it. AFX has it's own compiler, which will happily compile errors.

If you add an ILS receiver for RWY05, which stock YPAD doesn't have, ADE gives you the option to create basic approach code for that. Maybe that's where that duplicate came from?

AI only uses data from the approach header, not from the approach legs, transitions, etc.

Check to see if that looks OK.

YPAD2_Stock.JPG

Bottom right, Default Heading & Turn section. Both headings (True, not magnetic) should be about the same if you want the AI to land straight in.

Regards,

DDP.

Archived