Need help with a newly installed freeware Corsair

Downwind66

I've always wanted to add a Corsair to my collection of aircraft. Tonight I found and downloaded without a hitch, but now I am having trouble with getting the engine started and keeping it running. Downloaded from the Fly Away site, file name is corsairx.zip.

I got the engine running by opening the throttle a bit and hitting the CTRL + E. I let the engine run for several minutes, took off, ran the plane for a good 20-30 minutes, no issues. I landed and when getting ready to make my turn off onto the taxiway, the engine dies. Same thing, crack the throttle open a bit and it will start. You can not reduce the throttle to an idle, it will die immediately!

I am missing something here, and don't quite know what? Any help, I would appreciate it!

Rick :cool:

I have the same one and it seems to idle OK. I'll try again later this morning to verify. Under [GeneralEngineData] do you have

fuel_air_auto_mixture= 1 I hate trying to mess with the mixture lever(s) while flying.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks Charlie! Yes fuel_air_mixture is set with 1. Here a copy of my engine data. Maybe you can see if anything stands out?

[GeneralEngineData]

engine_type = 0 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop

Engine.0 = 8.23,0.00,-0.5 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical from reference datum

fuel_flow_scalar= 1.0 //Fuel flow scalar

min_throttle_limit = 0.0 //Minimum percent throttle.

[piston_engine]

power_scalar = 1.0 //Piston power scalar

cylinder_displacement= 155.56 //Cubic inches per cylinder

compression_ratio= 6.7 //Compression ratio

number_of_cylinders=18 //Number of cylinders

max_rated_rpm= 2800 //Max rated RPM

max_rated_hp= 2300 //Max rated HP

fuel_metering_type= 2 //0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor

cooling_type= 0 //0=Cooling type Air, 1=Cooling type Liquid

normalized_starter_torque= 0.035 //Starter torque factor

turbocharged= 1 //Is it turbocharged? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

max_design_mp= 60 //Max design manifold pressure, (inHg)

min_design_mp= 1 //Min design manifold pressure, (inHg)

critical_altitude= 21500 //Altitude max design manifold pressure (feet)

emergency_boost_type= 0 //0=None, 1=Water Injection, 2=Methanol/Water injection, 3=War Emergency Power

emergency_boost_mp_offset= 0 //Additional manifold pressure supplied by emergency boost

emergency_boost_gain_offset= 0 //Multiplier on manifold pressure due to emergency boost

fuel_air_auto_mixture= 1 //Automixture available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

auto_ignition= 1 //Auto-Ignition available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.0 //Scalar on maximum RPM mechanical efficiency

idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 0.65 //Scalar on idle RPM mechanical efficiency

max_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0 //Scalar on maximum RPM friction

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0 //Scalar on idle RPM friction

[propeller]

thrust_scalar = 1.0 //Propeller thrust scalar

propeller_type= 0 //0=Constant Speed, 1=Fixed Pitch

propeller_diameter= 13.33 //Propeller Diameter, (feet)

propeller_blades= 4 //Number of propeller blades

propeller_moi= 62.17 //Propeller moment of inertia

beta_max= 65 //Maximum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)

beta_min= 13 //Minimum blade pitch angle for constant speed prop, (degrees)

min_gov_rpm= 1500 //Miminum governed RPM

prop_tc= 0.1 //Prop time-constant

gear_reduction_ratio= 2.0 //Propeller gear reduction ratio

fixed_pitch_beta= 0 //Fixed pitch angle of fixed pitch prop, (degrees)

low_speed_theory_limit= 80 //Speed at which low speed theory becomes blended in (feet/second)

prop_sync_available= 0 //Prop synchronization available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

prop_deice_available= 0 //Prop de-icing available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

prop_feathering_available= 0 //Prop feathering available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

prop_auto_feathering_available= 0 //Prop auto-feathering available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

min_rpm_for_feather= 0 //Minimum RPM for prop feathering

beta_feather= 0 //Feathering pitch angle (degrees)

power_absorbed_cf= 0 //Coefficient of friction for power absorbed by propeller

defeathering_accumulators_available= 0 //Defeathering accumulators available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

prop_reverse_available= 0 //Prop reverse available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE

minimum_on_ground_beta= 0 //Miminum pitch angle on ground, (degrees)

minimum_reverse_beta= 0 //Minimum pitch angle in reverse, (degrees)

Charlie - When you open your Corsair, do you have to go thru a Start routine, or does it open already running?

Yes, my Auto Ignition was originally 0, I tried the 1 to see if that would help? NOT!

My joystick is an old CH products MachIII, no provisions for throttle

Charlie - When you open your Corsair, do you have to go thru a Start routine, or does it open already running?

Yes, my Auto Ignition was originally 0, I tried the 1 to see if that would help? NOT!

My joystick is an old CH products MachIII, no provisions for throttle

I have a cold and dark startup for all aircraft. Ctrl+e works fine. I trust keyboard commands for throttle not very much.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I've always wanted to add a Corsair to my collection of aircraft. Tonight I found and downloaded without a hitch, but now I am having trouble with getting the engine started and keeping it running. Downloaded from the Fly Away site, file name is corsairx.zip.

I got the engine running by opening the throttle a bit and hitting the CTRL + E. I let the engine run for several minutes, took off, ran the plane for a good 20-30 minutes, no issues. I landed and when getting ready to make my turn off onto the taxiway, the engine dies. Same thing, crack the throttle open a bit and it will start. You can not reduce the throttle to an idle, it will die immediately!

I am missing something here, and don't quite know what? Any help, I would appreciate it!

Carburettor icing? What were the weather conditions like at the time?

Hello, Rick, Might I request for the benefit of others in the present and future who might run into a similar issue, what you did to correct it. I noticed in your AC file that minimum throttle was 0.0. Using a keyboard if tapping F1, it would drive the throttle to zero.. Did this have any effect? This is a good puzzle:confused: Thank you for the posts..

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Yeah, it was a puzzle all right. Nothing ever jumps right out at you. I posted the thread, and my friend mrzippy responded and he has the same downloaded aircraft as I do. He saw nothing out of the norm, which sometimes you hit dead ends and end up trashing the download and moving on to something else.

I did many Google searches, (Google and YouTube has become my best friend over the years!) and on one of my searches, a post from this forum site came back as a possible? Napamule2, Chuck, one of our members responded to a post that someone else was having the same problem as mine. I read what Chuck had to offer, and in my case, he was "Spot on" in solving my issue. Will it work for anyone else? I don't know. The post is dated 8/9/2016 page 7, if you do a search for Napamule2, scroll back to page 7 and you will find the article.

My problem has been solved, thanks not only to Chuck's expertise and being able to respond in a manner in which can be easily understood by others, but also the flightsim.com's system of retaining age old posts and having a trail of information available via Google! One thing I have learned in the few years I have been participating in this forum, you have some very dedicated well informed members on here willing to help at a moment's notice. However, they aren't miracle workers, so in some cases they also might hit a "dead end" trying to solve your problem! When that happens you better be prepared to "dig in" as the answers are probably out there somewhere, you just got to find them! If you don't want to bother, then trash the download and move on to another!

In closing, I'd like to thank Chuck in his helping others on this forum. I should have done it earlier, but where do you begin with a problem that had a solution over 2 years ago Thanks Chuck!!

You are very welcome and thanks for complements. I 'fix' all my airplanes so they fly,sound, and look good (aircraft.cfg, air file, cnt pts, lights, etc). Been doing it for 12 years. So I have 'touched' just about every line in cfg and air file (no hex edits) that can be utilized to improver things. Here are the lines in old post:

'idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.000 // 0.65 //*** Original value

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 0.650 //1.0 //*** Original value

This might be considered 'cheating' by some purists, but hey, whatever works!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived