No brakes - Northrop Alpha by Chris Herring

jsaviator

The reason I 'messed with' the contact points was that it did what you describe. But you can't just change the values (forward or backwards) as you also must change the compression ratio. It's trial & error - thank you very much (ie: no 'math' involved). So do the 'whole burrito' for best results. Right? Right!

No mention of the '-3.000' change to '0.000' concerning the CofG? That is what makes it all work. Or it made a difference for ME on my Sim. I added differential braking (probably not available on the REAL model I admit) for best taxi (helps?). It's NOT 'Perfect' (yet) so I will work on the FDE tomorrow (busy tonight) to where it WILL do turns as a tail dragger SHOULD, diff braking or not. I use twist grip joy only. And, except for the prop (which 'ruins' it I know), it works good in FSX Accel.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I didn't need to change the CofG once I reduced the brake effectiveness. However, I was only testing taxi behavior and thus do not know if a CofG shift improves the accuracy of the flight model (the most important aspect). I would change the CofG if needed to affect the flight dynamics, not to make it easier to taxi at the potential expense of flight behavior. That would have to be tested if done.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

(Cheesh!)

This is "Pick on Chuck Day"!

sheesh

SHÄ“SH/

exclamationinformal

exclamation: sheesh

used to express disbelief or exasperation.

"Sheesh! What fun is it to mock people when they don't even get it?"

Unless you're thinking of Cheech and Chong!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Ok Zippy! By 'cheesh' I was just being sarcastic about the afore-mentioned 'given' or 'take it or leave it' suggestion. Maybe I should not 'force' it (asking people to TRY the mods that improve FDEs) and just use a BIGGER HAMMER (Cheesh!). But Mr Gibson likes to rub me the wrong way (just to T me off). I believe he is allergic to me and my posts concerning FDEs (ha). Be that as it may I am still happy and take all of this with a grain of salt. 'He ain't heavy-he's my brother'. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Zip: Google 'Cheers' to see what is up with THAT (haha).

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I didn't notice that Chuck was that responder, otherwise I would have said nothing. I learned a long time ago to give him a wide berth because he responds very badly when I post something that doesn't match what he thinks is right.

Yeah, I hear ya! I was just trying to correct his word usage. Cheesh is NOT a word and has no meaning. Sheesh is a word used to describe frustration.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just for information, the Northrop Alpha normally landed and taxied without using brakes. Brakes were only used "to stop in a short space" according to their brochure - see http://www.airminded.net/alpha/alphaad.html .

Maybe the author has modelled the aircraft without brakes deliberately.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Quote: "to stop in a short space". Aparently you WOULD stop in a 'Short Space' alright - right onto your nose - if you braked at all - even at 5 kts (in FltSim 9). Is that 'REAL'? Is that 'acceptable'? I think not!

Of course, back then (1931) landing on a grass field the wheel drag would stop your rather quickly so why even apply brakes. That does make sense. I accept 'no brakes'. What I don't accept is it tipping over on it's nose even with as weak as you can make the brakes in FS9. So I will keep the CofG change and remove all brakes in cfg and air file and I will STILL be able to fly it and land it and enjoy the model.

Chuck B

Napamule

Dear Sir Napamule,

what are your figures you achieved with your modifications ?

Can you please tell me your result in regards to:

1. Take Off Distance and T.O. Speed (should be 58 kts and 450 ft)

2. Approach Speed and after Touch Down the distance to the Full Stop ? ( Appr @ 50 kts

3. What is your Top Speed in LEVEL flight at 1000 feet ? (should be 148 kts constantly for minutes)

4. Do your modification support Pilot controlled ILS Approaches ?

5. Do your modification support AUTOPILOT controlled ILS Approaches ?

6. Do your modification support at 90 kts the following: on the Keyboard HIT the CTRL + . Keys !!

Does the plane still Nose OVER still ? (or slowing down to an complete stop as it should)

In case your modification can do all this please send me your FDE files.

Otherwise I can send you my set which is DOING it all of the above. (CFG + AIR file )

Sincerely

Guenter Kirschstein

P.S. The plane dimensions are incorporated in my files down to the last inch, EVEN the wrongfully Wheel Radius are corrected and the correct Brake assignments are performed.

Guenter,

Well I would love to entertain you with my FDE but this forum post concerns the Alpha and it having NO BRAKES. Start a new thread in proper forum and I will colaborate with you concerning the FDEs and the resulting 'change/improvement/worseing' of performance due to 'mods'. Including the changeing of tire radius and any resulting 'effect' that may/may not have on (in air? on ground?) performance (haha). Cheers. Beers. Shears. Beers. Qheers. Zheesh! (I told you - NO BRAKES! - Ha).

Chuck B

Napamule

I am not going to go into FDEs for the Alpha. But I will show you a video of results of my mods. Mainly that it don't need brakes and if it did it would not tip onto it's nose (which it does in FS9). Hope you like. NEWS at 11. Link:

Chuck B

Napamule

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir !

You stated : "Well I would love to entertain you with my FDE but this forum post concerns the Alpha and it having NO BRAKES."

How do you come up with this statement ?

Here are the REAL Specs regarding this plane:

Undercarriage:

 Divided type.

 Consists of two Vees, incorporating oleo and rubber-in-compression springing, attached to the extremities of the wing stubs and two axles, the inner ends of which are hinged to the center-line of the underside of the fuselage.

 Wheel-brakes and full swiveling tail-wheel.

 Wheel undercarriage interchangeable with floats.

check out the LINK ! : http://www.skytamer.com/Northrop_1930(Alpha2).html

And by the way , the plane DOES NOT nose over at ALL and at any speed !! PERIOD !

Sincerely

Guenter Kirschstein

P.S. Here is the rest of the spec, BUT use the Link and everything should be clear to you Sir.

Specifications (Alpha 2)

Type:

 Seven-place (six-passenger) closed-cabin all-metal land monoplane.

Wings:

 Low-wing cantilever monoplane.

 Outer sections are attached to short wing stubs, which are built integral with the fuselage.

 Outer sections are of the multi-cellular stressed-skin type and are built entirely of "Alclad."

Fuselage:

 Oval section structure, monocoque construction.

 A smooth Alclad skin, with integrally-formed longitudinal stiffeners, carries the entire fuselage stresses.

 The structure is strengthened with ring-shaped bulkheads built up with a channel cross-section.

Tail Unit:

 Normal monoplane type.

 It is of all-metal construction and entirely cantilever.

 The structure is of the multi-cellular type, as used in the wings.

Undercarriage:

 Divided type.

 Consists of two Vees, incorporating oleo and rubber-in-compression springing, attached to the extremities of the wing stubs and two axles, the inner ends of which are hinged to the center-line of the underside of the fuselage.

 Wheel-brakes and full swiveling tail-wheel.

 Wheel undercarriage interchangeable with floats.

strong>Power Plant:

 One 420 Hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp air-cooled radial engine, enclosed in an NACA cowling.

 Fuel tanks (two) are carried in the wing stubs.

That (information) and $7 will buy you a cup of java at StarBucks. But it will not do anything for anything that is used in Flight Simulator 9. And now you say the Alpha does not tip over on it's nose when you apply brakes. OK. Have it your way. I guess the forum post remains focused on Alpha with NO BRAKES. Everything else WAS 'OK'. So how does your info help with 'Alpha with NO BRAKES? I don't get it.

Chuck B

Napamule

I do NOT understan HOW anybody gets an Nose OVER situation ?

The plane does NOT nose OVER at any speed!

Period!

Also most people do not know that the tire radius size has an big effect on braking in FS9.

MY FDE set does not NOSE over nor does it stop, it rather stops very gentle and the Approach Speed is 48 kts as it should be and the top speed is 148 kts.

So what and where does the plane has a problem ??

beats me the whole discussion !

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

OVER and OUT

The TITLE of this forum post IS: ' No brakes - Northrop Alpha by Chris herring '

You said: ''Dear Sir ! You stated : "Well I would love to entertain you with my FDE but this forum post concerns the Alpha and it having NO BRAKES.'' How do you come up with this statement ?''

Chuck B

Napamule

I do NOT understan HOW anybody gets an Nose OVER situation ?

The plane does NOT nose OVER at any speed!

Period!

Also most people do not know that the tire radius size has an big effect on braking in FS9.

MY FDE set does not NOSE over nor does it stop, it rather stops very gentle and the Approach Speed is 48 kts as it should be and the top speed is 148 kts.

So what and where does the plane has a problem ??

beats me the whole discussion !

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

OVER and OUT

Maximum speed: 170 mph (272 km/h)

Cruising speed: 145 mph (232 km/h)

Stalling speed: 60 mph (96 km/h)

I rest my case m'lud.

Archived