Fsxse future

vamac53

Dovetail Games tried to make a kind of FS11:SE with Flight Sim World, but failed in April this year.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

does anyone know the future of fsx-se. like are they gonna make fs11 -se. hope so, and i hope they include more planes. like 747 ER, and more liveries.

thanks

MIKE

There is no future. FSX-SE is the end of the line.

Steam is ONLY a distribution system. Not a development system.

I'm holding out hope that with Dovetail crashing and burning with its attempt to replace FSX, the licensure for P3D will change, and we will be able to use it for entertainment without winking and nodding and swearing that we're, honest, only flying that F22 Raptor under the Golden Gate Bridge for flight training purposes. Because, you know, the Air Force totally uses a derivative of a 12 year old computer game to train aircrew to fly a $340,000,000 aircraft. (do you suppose the Air Force bought Orbx and Active Sky? ;) )

It'd be nice to see P3D opened up legitimately to the home simmer market. LM has done a lot with the platform, and I think if the market officially opened they could invest even more and give us something good enough that we wouldn't have to look wistfully at Xplane and wish FSX looked like that. ;)

I'm holding out hope that with Dovetail crashing and burning with its attempt to replace FSX, the licensure for P3D will change, and we will be able to use it for entertainment without winking and nodding and swearing that we're, honest, only flying that F22 Raptor under the Golden Gate Bridge for flight training purposes. Because, you know, the Air Force totally uses a derivative of a 12 year old computer game to train aircrew to fly a $340,000,000 aircraft. (do you suppose the Air Force bought Orbx and Active Sky? ;) )

It'd be nice to see P3D opened up legitimately to the home simmer market. LM has done a lot with the platform, and I think if the market officially opened they could invest even more and give us something good enough that we wouldn't have to look wistfully at Xplane and wish FSX looked like that. ;)

I agree with you, but fear it's pie-in-the-sky thinking to contemplate L-M giving even a second look to flightsimmers. Who would they even acquire a license from?

Besides, I use P3D as do many others at my flying club with all the extras and addons.

Yes, to train for a £340,000 or even £3,500,000 aircraft. The value of the aircraft and its role being secondary to the use one can get from it.

Hopefully one or other of the sims left in the gaming universe will rise to the challenge - Aerofly FS2 looks the likeliest at the moment.

As I see it, P3D is not for Gamers.

Neither is the academic version. It also is not for gamers. And it is even further restricted as it can only be bought by students. It comes at a discounted price, as student life is expensive enough. Even if you are following the education at a later age.

For example to make the switch to a job as engineer, to a job as engineer in aviation. (just one example.)

And fsx, Microsoft already made clear in 2007 that there would be no further changes to fsx. And that there would also not be any new versions.

Dovetail (Steam) does not have a licence to make changes, so they won't be making any either.

But, despite no changes to fsx since 2007, the game is still going strong.

Free addons for fsx come out every day. New Payware addons about once a month.

Some of these addons are huge improvements to how fsx looks.

So no, no fs11. But no less fun to be had then a few years ago. probably more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with you, but fear it's pie-in-the-sky thinking to contemplate L-M giving even a second look to flightsimmers. Who would they even acquire a license from?

All it would take is MS to say "Yeah, go ahead and let people buy it for fun." L-M wouldn't do anything special for us - they wouldn't have to. We want what they're already making. All they have to do is take our money. They'd be crazy not to do it if they had the rights.

Besides, I use P3D as do many others at my flying club with all the extras and addons.

Yes, to train for a £340,000 or even £3,500,000 aircraft. The value of the aircraft and its role being secondary to the use one can get from it.

I didn't mean to say that you can't get any educational value out of FSX/P3D. But, I mean, I hope you guys aren't training to shoot down other planes and bomb buildings. ;)

The real F22 pilots train in what are essentially small Omni-theaters. They have a 360 degree screen wrapping around, above, and below their mockpit, which looks like the real thing:

CRVS.jpg?itok=C_ti5sWj

Oh, and many of those sims are also full-motion. What they're training on blows any PC-based simulator out of the water, so LM including the F22 in P3D is a wink and nod to the fact that they know who's buying that thing and why.

The future, as is the present of FSX:SE is in add-ons only!

Lockheed Martin purchased the intellectual property of ESP from Microsoft, so Microsoft is out of the picture to discuss anything, totally.

ESP was the non-commercial/not for entertainment/professional version of FSX, so that is why Lockheed Martin will never & can never sell P3D as a "for entertainment" program.

Microsoft licenced FSX to Dovetail, & they made small mods to it, & further development is frozen.

Dovetail used that basic engine, modded it into Flight Sim World, & that is dead & no longer being sold. Both distributed via Steam.

So, as advertised, P3D comes in different versions, non as an entertainment product, as contracted when they purchased ESP.

And we will never see a Flight Sim 11, as that franchise is owned by Microsoft who closed it down many years ago, getting rid of FSX to DTG, & ESP to Lockheed Martin, thus ending their gaming section.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

The future, as is the present of FSX:SE is in add-ons only!

Lockheed Martin purchased the intellectual property of ESP from Microsoft, so Microsoft is out of the picture to discuss anything, totally.

ESP was the non-commercial/not for entertainment/professional version of FSX, so that is why Lockheed Martin will never & can never sell P3D as a "for entertainment" program.

Microsoft licenced FSX to Dovetail, & they made small mods to it, & further development is frozen.

Dovetail used that basic engine, modded it into Flight Sim World, & that is dead & no longer being sold. Both distributed via Steam.

So, as advertised, P3D comes in different versions, non as an entertainment product, as contracted when they purchased ESP.

And we will never see a Flight Sim 11, as that franchise is owned by Microsoft who closed it down many years ago, getting rid of FSX to DTG, & ESP to Lockheed Martin, thus ending their gaming section.

No, Microsoft still has the IP rights to both ESP and the FS franchise. Lockheed only acquired a license to continue development of ESP. There is nothing stopping another company from also acquiring a license to ESP, though at this point it would probably make more sense to just use P3D. Same thing goes for the FS series. MS could jump back in if they ever thought it would be worth their time, though at this point I think it is very unlikely (they do still have an interest in gaming in general, both on PCs and Xboxes, which are basically just a specialized PC these days).

https://news.microsoft.com/2009/11/30/lockheed-martin-microsoft-agreement-to-bring-better-training-to-warfighters/

One of the main differences, if not the key difference, between FSX and ESP/P3D was around liability. FSX was never permitted to be used as part of an approved flight training program, whereas ESP/P3D could be. This is mostly where the entertainment vs non-entertainment use comes from. Someone flying around at home for their own personal enjoyment is very different than someone using it for flight training. The consequences, and hence costs, for the developer are very different if the entertainment user's sim crashes vs a pilot crashing a real plane because something in the sim wasn't modeled correctly. Both FSX, ESP, and P3D are all very capable and realistic enough for flight training. For example, Redbird used ESP, and now P3D, for some of their full motion simulators. It just comes down to lawyers, liability and who will owe what if/when something goes wrong.

I know this isn't the place to put this, but there is also X-Plane11. I've been fooling around with the demo version of XP11 and it's very, very good. Bit of a steep learning curve with so many different keyboard commands. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that there is no freeware 737 for it. But visually, it is outstanding and the flight dynamics are quite real.

Loki, I beg to differ when you say...

"No, Microsoft still has the IP rights to both ESP and the FS franchise. Lockheed only acquired a license to continue development of ESP. There is nothing stopping another company from also acquiring a license to ESP, though at this point it would probably make more sense to just use P3D. Same thing goes for the FS series. MS could jump back in if they ever thought it would be worth their time, though at this point I think it is very unlikely (they do still have an interest in gaming in general, both on PCs and Xboxes, which are basically just a specialized PC these days).

Actually...

P3D - Lockheed Martin Prepar3D

In 2009 Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the intellectual property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP (Enterprise Simulation Platform) product. Microsoft ESP is the commercial-use version of "Flight Simulator X SP2". On May 17, 2010,[14] Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. Lockheed hired members of the original ACES Studio team to continue development of the product. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail license cost of US$499.[15] A developer license is also available for a monthly fee of US$9.95. In March 2012, along with the release of version 1.3, the pricing strategy was revised. The Professional edition is now available for US$199, with an Academic License available for US$59.95."

After releasing Version 2 in 2013 and Version 3 in 2015, the team released 64-bit Version 4 in May 2017.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Loki, I beg to differ when you say...

"No, Microsoft still has the IP rights to both ESP and the FS franchise. Lockheed only acquired a license to continue development of ESP. There is nothing stopping another company from also acquiring a license to ESP, though at this point it would probably make more sense to just use P3D. Same thing goes for the FS series. MS could jump back in if they ever thought it would be worth their time, though at this point I think it is very unlikely (they do still have an interest in gaming in general, both on PCs and Xboxes, which are basically just a specialized PC these days).

Actually...

P3D - Lockheed Martin Prepar3D

In 2009 Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the intellectual property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP (Enterprise Simulation Platform) product. Microsoft ESP is the commercial-use version of "Flight Simulator X SP2". On May 17, 2010,[14] Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. Lockheed hired members of the original ACES Studio team to continue development of the product. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail license cost of US$499.[15] A developer license is also available for a monthly fee of US$9.95. In March 2012, along with the release of version 1.3, the pricing strategy was revised. The Professional edition is now available for US$199, with an Academic License available for US$59.95."

After releasing Version 2 in 2013 and Version 3 in 2015, the team released 64-bit Version 4 in May 2017.

The announcement from Microsoft themselves that I posted says otherwise. Note that it says licensing agreement, not purchase or sale. Whoever wrote the Wiki article seems to have misunderstood what the agreement was.

Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) and Microsoft Corp. entered into an intellectual property (IP) licensing agreement that allows Lockheed Martin to further develop the Microsoft ESP PC-based visual simulation software platform to better train warfighters for battle.

The Microsoft ESP IP licensing agreement builds on the existing Microsoft/Lockheed Martin Strategic Alliance to bring meaningful information technology services and products to market and continue to fuel innovation. It is also an example of Microsoft’s broader efforts to collaborate with industry through IP licensing.

LM only bought use of the ESP and the Ability to change the code. Microsoft still owns the intellectual property and can pull the licenses anytime they want. Dovetail was licensed to just fix the code enough to make FSX stable whereas LM is licensed to actually make major code changes. P3D is still an entertainment level sim as all the addons are labeled "Not for real world flight or training". If you want the real answers go to Flight Sim Con and talk to the developers instead of taking speculation and assumptions from people on a board like here. The next one will be in Daytona in 2019. I suggest you go and talk to developers yourself. I used to get to talk to all the developers because they would always come in the live streams by AirDailyX when D'Andre owned them. Now I have to wait for the Get together's.

From a MS forum:

At this time all we can offer is what you can see in the SDK link in your post. I would recommend you contact Lockheed Martin who are now the owners of the intellectual property of what used to be called Microsoft ESP.

Thanks

John

Proposed as answer by jodonnellMicrosoft employee Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:37 PM

Edited by jodonnellMicrosoft employee Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:49 AM

Marked as answer by Harshavardhana KikkeriMicrosoft employee, Moderator

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Yep, going to have to agree to disagree. Personally I give an announcement that will have been vetted by the lawyers more credence than a forum post, even if it is from Microsoft's forums. As often as not I have found the support and responses provided in those forums a little lacking.

Archived