What is your biggest pet peeve with Flight Simulator?

dogdish

I learned something which I hope I never have to deal with, haven't as of yet, but it's something to put in the back of one's mind! Me, the space back there is getting smaller and smaller! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Yeah I think if you combined EVERY game/simulator ever made, still wouldn't be half as configurable as Flight Simulator.

I think we fall into the category of more tinkering and less flying :)

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Yeah I think if you combined EVERY game/simulator ever made, still wouldn't be half as configurable as Flight Simulator.

I think we fall into the category of more tinkering and less flying :)

Yeah, Dogdish, but sometimes the challenge is there and we accept it as such, and it REALLY feels good when we can make it work! That part is rewarding! The flying part is a snap!

I hate the z-order issue where clouds dance around when they are lower than the mountains they obscure.

Don't think I ever seen this. Have even flown around in the Swiss Alps where there are low clouds. Is it dependent on what brand CPU or GPU you have?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

One of my biggest pet peeves (and there are a number of them!) is the problem with VS. I typically set a rate of 1800 fpm for the CRJ-700 for example and when I change altitudes on the AP it defaults to about 600 fpm. A lot of times I'm busy with other issues, especially on approach, and end up being scolded by ATC to hurry up with my descent. I'm used to it but it definitely detracts from the realism.

One of my biggest pet peeves (and there are a number of them!) is the problem with VS. I typically set a rate of 1800 fpm for the CRJ-700 for example and when I change altitudes on the AP it defaults to about 600 fpm. A lot of times I'm busy with other issues, especially on approach, and end up being scolded by ATC to hurry up with my descent. I'm used to it but it definitely detracts from the realism.

I was going to say that should be easy to fix in the [autopilot] section of the aircraft.cfg, however it looks like its all ready set to 1800 default per this thread...

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?294490-CRJ-700-default-aircraft-cfg-help-please

[autopilot]

autopilot_available= 1

flight_director_available= 1

default_vertical_speed= 1800.0

autothrottle_available= 1

autothrottle_arming_required= 0

autothrottle_max_rpm = 90

autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0

pitch_takeoff_ga = 8;

max_pitch=10.0

max_pitch_acceleration=1.0

max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.0

max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=1.5

max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0

max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0

max_bank=30,15

max_bank_acceleration=1.8

max_bank_velocity=3.00

max_throttle_rate=0.10

nav_proportional_control=11.00

nav_integrator_control=0.20

nav_derivative_control=0.00

nav_integrator_boundary=2.50

nav_derivative_boundary=0.00

gs_proportional_control=9.52

gs_integrator_control=0.26

gs_derivative_control=0.00

gs_integrator_boundary=0.70

gs_derivative_boundary=0.00

yaw_damper_gain = 1.0

I didn't touch the V/S and mine defaults to 1800 just fine...

2018-6-14_17-44-14-570.jpg

Will swing from -1800 to 1800 by changing the altitude down or up.

That's interesting because I have had this problem with the VS from the git-go with FSX. Are you using the Steam edition or regular old FSX? I actually use FSX Gold w/Acceleration. VS invariably ends up defaulting to about 1/3 of what the setting indicated in the aircraft.cfg is for some weird reason. ATC always bitches at me about it and I can fix it by simply adjusting the VS manually just a notch and then it immediately goes to the correct setting....until, of course, I need to do it again. Frustrates the hell out of me.

I also have FSX Gold (Deluxe/Acceleration)... maybe I didn't play with it long enough for the issue to surface than. I though because the Altitude adjustment is so close to the V/S, maybe it's getting bumped by mistake.

I get similar all the time with the default B738. E.g. As the AP begins to level out after a climb given by ATC, then if ATC issues a further instruction to climb at that very moment, the AP only sets climb rate of 600fpm rather than the .cfg setting of 1800fpm. I need to manually adjust.

Not my biggest pet peeve but an annoying one of many.

I get similar all the time with the default B738. E.g. As the AP begins to level out after a climb given by ATC, then if ATC issues a further instruction to climb at that very moment, the AP only sets climb rate of 600fpm rather than the .cfg setting of 1800fpm. I need to manually adjust.

Not my biggest pet peeve but an annoying one of many.

This seems to be a normal situation. Same when flying at MACH. You have to drop speed down one notch and then back to your desired MACH speed setting. It's just something you have to get used to and anticipate doing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My issue. No matter how I set FSX, overall, I never get a high level of aircraft operating at major airports. Early on it was no problem and I actually had craft flying approach ahead of me and those behind.

REDD

My issue. No matter how I set FSX, overall, I never get a high level of aircraft operating at major airports. Early on it was no problem and I actually had craft flying approach ahead of me and those behind.

REDD

You didn't say what AI program your using. However for Traffic 360 and Ultimate Traffic 2 or Live, I've noticed there are a lot of aircraft at the gates but little activity for about 10~15 minutes until I hear the first ATC IFR taxi request, then all hell breaks loose. It's actually beneficial because it gives you time to get to the runaway without getting stuck behind a line of departing and "Hold position for aircraft on final" AI planes.

Not as realistic, but I really don't want to wait for AI aircraft.

My newest pet peeve: I've had this happen before and now it's happened in two flights in a row now. You're on approach, ATC tells you something like descend 6,700. You get to 6,700 and then all of a sudden ATC tells you to climb to 8,800. So you have to climb up to that altitude really quick to satisfy the stupid ATC otherwise they won't continue on with your approach. Then all of a sudden they tell you to descend back down to 6,700. This happened to me the other day flying into KPHX onto runway 26 which I can perhaps see since I was going over some hills. But last night I just came over the Rockies no mountains below me, I'm over Fort Collins on my way to KFNL about 20 out and I get this BS climb to 8,800. Good thing I was in a F22. I deactivated the ALT button and just climbed right away. As soon as I obtained that altitude ATC had me come back down. Very stupid.

So my first post here was about asinine ATC and in fact it still stands. I should just fly VFR. I do that from time to time if I'm flying over 1,000 miles. Especially going to Hawaii. Only problem with VFR is that if the weather is really crappy you'll never get into that airport. They say something like "airport is closed to IFR only."

My newest pet peeve: I've had this happen before and now it's happened in two flights in a row now. You're on approach, ATC tells you something like descend 6,700. You get to 6,700 and then all of a sudden ATC tells you to climb to 8,800. So you have to climb up to that altitude really quick to satisfy the stupid ATC otherwise they won't continue on with your approach. Then all of a sudden they tell you to descend back down to 6,700. This happened to me the other day flying into KPHX onto runway 26 which I can perhaps see since I was going over some hills. But last night I just came over the Rockies no mountains below me, I'm over Fort Collins on my way to KFNL about 20 out and I get this BS climb to 8,800. Good thing I was in a F22. I deactivated the ALT button and just climbed right away. As soon as I obtained that altitude ATC had me come back down. Very stupid.

Yes! I also get my shorts twisted when ATC keeps handing you off back and forth to the same enroute controllers like you were a ping pong ball.

The stuttering replay that looks and sounds like a bad sex education film from the 1970's! HA!

Nice to know I'm not the only one with that issue. I have to wonder how on earth do the YouTube Sim uploader pros do it.

The flip side. My brother was playing FSX in another room and I overheard him say...

?*&@#?!! ATC flew me right into the side of a mountain!!! :mad:
:D

Yeah, I'm well aware of that flaw. I once mowed down several ponderosa pines in the Rockies because of their S%$#@. Luckily I didn't crash. From that day forward I watch my AGL on the radar altimeter and use a TAWS if I know I'm descending into hilly or mountainous terrain. LittleNavMap helps me with that. In my FSX F22 I have a knock off TAWS that was someone's summer project. In FS2004 I embedded The RealityXP TAWS gauge into my cockpit. That thing was absolutely fantastic! I was zipping in between mountains around Area-51 at night with no issues at all. I loved that gauge! I wish they made it for FSX as well. But I bought the GTN750 which has a TAWS and I could not for the life of me get it to work. I tried everything. There's a few things I might want to try if I buy it again, but I'm hesitant. It will probably not work and I'll have to request yet another refund. Damn gauge is 50 schmeckles.

I think the Terrain Alert Warning System would have to be by far one of the best damn inventions in avionics ever. Imagine all the lives it's save already. I wonder if we will really know?

As long as its functioning and calibrated, not on Turkish Airlines flight 1951...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_1951

Pretty damn amazing.

A 2006 report stated that from 1974, when the U.S. FAA made it a requirement for large aircraft to carry such equipment, until the time of the report, there had not been a single passenger fatality in a CFIT crash by a large jet in U.S. airspace.[15]

That's not a TAWS. That's the radio altimeter.

Of course, the radio altimeter is ONE of the TAWS sensors.

http://www.industrial-electronics.com/aircraft_17.html

Archived